Awoo.

Rebooting the Franchise: Good or Bad?

Kuzu

I think a reboot would be a massive risk, either you use the same basic story of the original games which makes the reboot pointless or you do something totally different and run the risk of losing the established fan base.

If they did do it though I would like to see a proper farewell to this series, a game that wraps up the story in a suitably epic way.

Also, that article mentions possible character redesigns. Not a terrible idea but I hope they put a lot of thought into the new designs. Or else we might end up with another Crash Bandicoot horror

iehObk.png

*shudders*

Still not sure what's so horrible about that. I guess the tribal tattoos are kind of douchey-looking, but so's original recipe Crash.

Still not sure what's so horrible about that. I guess the tribal tattoos are kind of douchey-looking, but so's original recipe Crash.

It's obviously because its different, I mean why do you think so many people hate Modern Sonic?

It's obviously because its different, I mean why do you think so many people hate Modern Sonic?

I think it's more of because people associate the design with the (Radically different) Crash games. Like Mind over Mutant. And honestly I didn't like it much either.

Honestly, I don't see the point in a reboot, because it would achieve nothing.

Change the gameplay? Gameplay barely had any consistancy. Games with the same "formula", even sequels played differently to each other.

Change the visuals? Same story, each game before the Unleashed trilogy looked different.

Change the characters? Again, every character was portrayed differently from game to game.

Change the story? There is barely anything resembling a canon anyway, deleting won't do much, we'll still remember the tripe. At best we could ignore the shite (Heroes, Shadow, 06), and reinforce what was good/had potential.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don´t know if anybody say something simillar to what I´m going to say, but I guess that a great idea would be to create games based in "the lost charapters". What I´m trying to say is a serie of games between Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and 3, for example, or others. Somethin like the GG games or MS titles.

This way will make happy that fans who claims for Old School stories (only Sonic and Tails vs Robotnik/Eggman) and the fans who wants new adventures.

Ya know if they rebooted the franchise and actually gave the characters some real purpose, I wouldn't exactly be against it.

I don´t know if anybody say something simillar to what I´m going to say, but I guess that a great idea would be to create games based in "the lost charapters". What I´m trying to say is a serie of games between Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and 3, for example, or others. Somethin like the GG games or MS titles.

This way will make happy that fans who claims for Old School stories (only Sonic and Tails vs Robotnik/Eggman) and the fans who wants new adventures.

I don't see how this would work considering 2 and 3 tie directly into each other without much of anything able to squeeze in between.

Ya know if they rebooted the franchise and actually gave the characters some real purpose, I wouldn't exactly be against it.

Why do we need a reboot to do that?
  • Thumbs Up 1

We don't, I just said if they used the reboot as an excuse to that I wouldn't mind.

To strip out the fat, to uncrustify the series, so that it can proceed largely free of preconceived expectations.

Or they could just simply give the characters purpose in future stories, this does not require a reebot.

• Thumbs Up 7

Or they could just simply give the characters purpose in future stories, this does not require a reebot.

Nobody is saying it does, just that's it's a possibility that isn't a terrible one. Seriously what is the problem of rebooting the series as a way to reintroduce the characters? Just because it seems unnecessary doesn't mean it's a viable option that can't be considered.

Okay, here's what I consider to be reboots:

Sonic Adventure: It refreshed the series after certain gap without a proper game. It wasn't nessicarily saying "this never happened", but it wasn't going out of it's way to say "this did happen". So, it's a follow on of orginal series, that still makes sense even if you've never played the genenis games. It revives all the important characters, slowly reinterducing more and interducing new ones.

Sonic Unleashed: Pretty much the same as adventure. It refreshed the series after things had gone a bit arwy. It did have a character redesign, but not as radical as adventure's, more a slight tune up. The gameplay was a new style, (one they'd tested on SATSR) and one that worked reasably well for 3D. A few of the main cast were there, but not all of it, and they certainly weren't playable. Sonic colours trimmed even more fat by only having the nessicary cast (With Orbot and Cubot added as comic reilef).

Erm... then Generations happened. A bit too soon if you ask me.

Almost ALL of the cast was suddenly reinterduced. And not in the nice, easy way that they were in adventure or unleashed. Just a "PLONK" they exist. I'm okay with that, but I'd rather that they were slowly reinterduced over the course of the series, and used spairingly, only when needed.

So a reboot? I don't really think that's going to happen.

A refresh? Seems a lot more likely, but why so soon? Unleashed wasn't that long ago. Maybe wait... 2,3, maybe five more years?

I trust SEGA. If it does happen, it'll work out... I hope.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see how this would work considering 2 and 3 tie directly into each other without much of anything able to squeeze in between.

It was an example, I really mean between episodes.

I've said it before: It's just too big a risk for Sega. They need to move forward, not backwards.

A reboot would be moving forwards.

Thing is people don't like change.

I honestly couldn't care less, so long as whatever happens, is done extremely well.

Still think its a little pointless though. Most games behave like effective reboots anyway because they're barely connected at all.

Only games with any actual, meaningful continuity was SA2 to Shadow and I'd rather forget the latter half of it.

Thing is people don't like change.
Well if this series is going to get any better they're going to have to learn to fuckin' deal regardless.

• 1 month later...

I would...

Change Eggman to Satam Robotnik. Maybe,have Eggman.as a seperate foe whom is more minor.

Retell the classics, all of them, for the First game. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3, and S&K combined

Then do something based om SA2, Rush, and colors. Blaze willingly works for Eggman (but changed sides later), unlike Rush. Rouge and Omega take a while to change sides (not until Robotnik is introduced)

Then add Robotnik. He does the coup d etat. Then it becomes like satam.

I would...

Change Eggman to Satam Robotnik. Maybe,have Eggman.as a seperate foe whom is more minor.

Retell the classics, all of them, for the First game. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3, and S&K combined

Then do something based om SA2, Rush, and colors. Blaze willingly works for Eggman (but changed sides later), unlike Rush. Rouge and Omega take a while to change sides (not until Robotnik is introduced)

I'm hoping this is a joke post.

• Thumbs Up 5

I would...

To be honest, that sounds like a terrible idea.

For one thing, why does Eggman need to be separate from Robotnik? Second, why does SatAM Robotnik need to exist in the games? Third, why the heck would Blaze work for Eggman? She's no criminal/has no evil intentions. and Finally, We are already overloaded with nostalgic stuff from Generations and the Sonic 4 Episodes, I don't think we need more of them.

Why would you replace Eggman with his Satam incarnation when he doesn't fit in the game's universe in any capacity?

Why would Blaze of all people switch sides to Eggman's when she is, without exception, a character of the heroic alignment? Even Rouge and Omega- especially Omega, who hates Eggman's guts- would not really work for Eggman with an honest interest of helping him achieve his goals of world domination. So why?

Why would you retell games whose stories we already know about, and then pack that many games into one single, standalone title?

Why would you do any of this? Why?

• Thumbs Up 7