Awoo.

Rebooting the Franchise: Good or Bad?

Kuzu

I figured that we might as well try and make people like them again.

Speaking of less popular characters, Silver + Wii U touchpad = Not shit gameplay.

I'd rather use it to lock onto enemies and manage the stats of an Eggman mech.

But yeah, I guess so.

Cream
Why Cream?

There is a giant hubworld that connects the different Zones known as the Land of the Sky. Sonic and Tails can fly around and visit the many different islands to talk to different NPCs ala Wind Waker.
Okay did anyone enjoy sailing around in Wind Waker? I say this as someone who likes WW, and someone who was not especially bothered by the sailing, but having to cross the endless stretches of mostly nothing to get anywhere is pretty boring. Sailing is boring in WW, flying is boring in SS, and traveling across Hyrule Field is boring in TP. And putting something like that in a fast-paced game like Sonic is only going to make it even more boring. If the player wants to get from A to B and there's basically nothing in the way, they're most likely going to take the straight line route and mash whatever button makes them go a little bit faster. So unless you've got a way to make that travel time interesting this is something to be avoided.

Also, though it doesn't really fit in a Land of the Sky setting, I think it's a shame that Sonic's speed hasn't been put to use in traveling between major areas.

Most of them have missions you can complete for some extra cash, which you can then give to Nack the Weasel, a shady merchant, for items and abilities.
Eeeehhh grinding for cash is kind of lame. Why not skip the middleman and get stuff directly from the missions? Granted you'd have to find another use for Nack...

Boss: Shadow the Hedgehog
A bit early for a copycat rival, isn't it? At this point we barely have a grasp of the characters and their world; it might be better to focus more on building up context and saving the doppelgangers for later.

I forgot to mention that Ancient Waterway would have a bunch of allusions to Echidna culture.
This is a bit odd given how the echidnas have been handled in the current canon. Though a floating island kind of loses its magic when every island is floating, so some sort of change would be necessary. Not saying this is bad, just a bit odd.

Aside from that, not bad.

Also, though it doesn't really fit in a Land of the Sky setting, I think it's a shame that Sonic's speed hasn't been put to use in traveling between major areas.

Thinking about it, wouldn't this be the ideal place for Modern gameplay? Think about it, the basis of Modern gameplay is to get from point A to Point B as fast as possible, so why not use it as a way of traversing the world? It doesn't dominate the main gameplay, and satisfies the people who prefer the modern gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why Cream?

Okay did anyone enjoy sailing around in Wind Waker? I say this as someone who likes WW, and someone who was not especially bothered by the sailing, but having to cross the endless stretches of mostly nothing to get anywhere is pretty boring. Sailing is boring in WW, flying is boring in SS, and traveling across Hyrule Field is boring in TP. And putting something like that in a fast-paced game like Sonic is only going to make it even more boring. If the player wants to get from A to B and there's basically nothing in the way, they're most likely going to take the straight line route and mash whatever button makes them go a little bit faster. So unless you've got a way to make that travel time interesting this is something to be avoided.

Eeeehhh grinding for cash is kind of lame. Why not skip the middleman and get stuff directly from the missions? Granted you'd have to find another use for Nack...

A bit early for a copycat rival, isn't it? At this point we barely have a grasp of the characters and their world; it might be better to focus more on building up context and saving the doppelgangers for later.

This is a bit odd given how the echidnas have been handled in the current canon. Though a floating island kind of loses its magic when every island is floating, so some sort of change would be necessary. Not saying this is bad, just a bit odd.

Aside from that, not bad.

Why Cream? I was trying to find uses for the less popular characters instead of going for the likes of Amy and Knuckles, who I still have ideas for.

I was thinking that the islands wouldn't be THAT far apart from eachother. I'm still working on the whole flying thing though. There would be ways of speeding up the process.

It works both ways. You can either get Rings to spend at Fang's or find abilities and items during Acts.

I needed a sort of general for Eggman's army, and Shadow seemed like the best fit.

Why Cream? I was trying to find uses for the less popular characters instead of going for the likes of Amy and Knuckles, who I still have ideas for.
There should be a better reason than that. What does Cream offer above other characters? How does this role make Cream a viable character? I have to say, "Eggman kidnaps Cream" is not something I find compelling, either as an objective or to make me care about Cream.

I was thinking that the islands wouldn't be THAT far apart from eachother. I'm still working on the whole flying thing though. There would be ways of speeding up the process.
But do we need it in the first place, regardless of how long it is? What does it contribute to the game?

It works both ways. You can either get Rings to spend at Fang's or find abilities and items during Acts.
So there's duplicates of abilities? If you buy it from Fang, what's there when you go to where it is in the level? If you find it in a level, does it vanish from Fang's shop?

I needed a sort of general for Eggman's army, and Shadow seemed like the best fit.
Shadow's kind of got a lot of baggage as a character, I'm not sure he's well-suited to that. What's the situation where this black-and-red hedgehog decides to join up with the mad scientist, and why does the mad scientist decide to put his trust in him? Are the similarities between Sonic and Shadow going to be ignored? And what exactly is this "general" role that is necessary?

I have my own ideas for an introduction to gameplay, give me an hour.

Ok, I got something, it's something of a retelling of the first game.

Story: Ok, Tails is an orphan born and raised in the South Island orphanage by Ms. Vanilla Rabbit, and helped out by Amy Rose whom Tails looks up to as an older sister. One day Tails believes he sees a robot on the island, and strays away from the orphanage to find out. Tails` suspicions prove to be true when he catches the robot harvesting helpless animals, the robot catches a glimpse of Tails and tries to capture him as well, but is saved by none other than Sonic the Hedgehog, whom was trying to enjoy a vacation. After making quick work of robot, and confirming the young fox's safety, Sonic speeds off in the distant to investigate the phenomenon. Amy then appears to find Tails as she was worried about him, Tails enthusiastically tells Amy about Sonic and his actions, but she doesn't believe someone like that could exist. Tails wanting to prove he was right, takes Amy to find Sonic, but trouble catches the duo as another robot shows up with the same intentions as the first. To protect Tails, Amy lets herself get captured and is taken to Eggman's base. Tails catches up with Sonic, and explains the situation. Sonic gives Tails a thumbs up and assures he'll rescue his friend, but Tails tags along too, much to Sonic's chagrin, as he feels responsible for what's happened, and the duo set off to rescue the pink damsel.

Gameplay: Sonic is the primary character playable, while Tails would be used to help him get past obstacles in the levels(not unlike Generations). Gameplay will be similar to Sonic Adventure, but retain some moves from the Modern games such as the stomp, and the quick step. The Spin Dash also makes a return appearance, and can be used to activate different hazards in the levels. The game will consist of six zones, two acts, and one boss per zone.

Zones:

High Hills Zone: First level of the game, and the obligatory Green Hill shout out. Nothing much to say other than it being a generic first level to introduce you to the game, and it's controls.

Boss: The same robot that tries to kidnap Tails is the first boss, it's similar to Eggman's wrecking ball, except it's a robot controlling it. Basic patter is just trying to smash you with the ball, dodge and then smack with a spin attack. It's pinch mode will have it be immune to frontal attacks, and you have to hit it with it's own wrecking ball to finish it off.

Rocky Ruins Zone: Marble Zone throwback, but the twist however is that the level is ancient, and the platforms are unstable, so you have to move fast otherwise you'll die. It's more of a think on your feet level.

Boss: A serpent like bot that breathes fire, Sonic fights the boss in an arena like setting with platforms floating across a pool of lava. The robot breathes fire to where Sonic is standing, and the flames engulf the platform until they extinguish. In pinch mode, the fire lasts longer, and the boss breathes it faster, making it harder to dodge.

Bouncy Boom Zone: Spring Yard yo, the best way to describe this level would be a giant skate park, and you have to have careful use of Sonic's spin dash and rolling capabilities so you don't propel yourself into the hazards.

Boss: A spiked theme boss, like the Rocky Ruin boss, he limits your movement by attacking the platforms, unlike that boss however this one destroys the ground beneath your feet with time, making it a timed boss. It's pinch mode just simply destroys the platforms faster.

Misty Maze Zone(Yes I know its from Megamix, I couldn't think of a more fitting name so shut up): Oh gawds, it's labyrinth zone. This stage however isn't as frustrating, as there will be little water involved. This time however, you have to choose the correct path to make it to the end of the level as fast as possible, or that 10 minute time limit will eat you alive.

There is no boss, I figured this stage would be hard enough without one.

Shining Moon Zone: After escaping the dreaded maze, our heroes find themselves on a moonlit mountain top. Consider this the "breather level" set between a pretty hard zone, and the final zone.

Boss: A U.F.O. like craft comes, and tries to bomb the hell outta Sonic. The boss is too high for Sonic to hit normally, so you have to smack those bombs right back at him, the bombs are spiked and Sonic can only hit non-spiked bombs back at the boss. Pinch mode has the bombs come out faster, and the boss launches three to five at once.

Flying Egg Zone: It's da final zone ya'll. This level is HARD, take everything from the previous levels, and turn it up to 11, that's basically this zone in a nutshell.

Final Boss: Eggman confronts Sonic himself in this final battle. Eggman pilots a behemoth of a robot, the bot is so big in fact that Sonic's got to climb a series of obstacles to even get in range of Eggman. The boss tries to crush Sonic beneath his feet, and occasionally launches what would look like HOMING SHOTS, that aren't easy to dodge. The boss is basically a test of all of your skills, and how well you can use them.

There aren't many cutscenes, like maybe one or two per zone, and they're mostly about how Sonic & Tails are reacting to the environment around them, and their bond developing. You'd have occasional scenes with Eggman to know what he's like, and how Amy is doing under his care.

I liked typing this.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 3

Whoa, is this thread becoming a reboot/plot idea thread? O.O I hope not, the only plot/reboot idea I've seen is Ragna's but my strong dislike towards even the idea of a reboot for the franchise and makes me not even want to read more of it.

my strong dislike towards even the idea of a reboot for the franchise and makes me not even want to read more of it.

Wha...?

I GUESS that I'll do one too...

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm so completely out of it that I can't even think straight.

Edited by Ladies' Man Wario

Wha...?

Yeah, I don't want a reboot. The last thing I need is for anybody to think "Oh, so they were finally getting it right and bid farewell." and never looking at the franchise again. I know that a reboot might do good but I still don't want to lose the foundation we have in any way.

Yeah, I don't want a reboot. The last thing I need is for anybody to think "Oh, so they were finally getting it right and bid farewell." and never looking at the franchise again. I know that a reboot might do good but I still don't want to lose the foundation we have in any way.

That's fine, but why would that prevent you from reading others' ideas?

Ok, that doesn't mean that the idea of a reboot is shit, and I think it's it stupid to call the idea bad without even reading the idea behind it. I mean god people, we're always going on about how we shouldn't be so pre-judgmental, can we come with actual ideas and critique them before we label it as complete shit?

Ok, that doesn't mean that the idea of a reboot is shit, and I think it's it stupid to call the idea bad without even reading the idea behind it. I mean god people, we're always going on about how we shouldn't be so pre-judgmental, can we come with actual ideas and critique them before we label it as complete shit?

I'm not calling it bad, just the whole concept uninterests me... but I kinda... did read the thing anyway as it got me curious. It was a nice idea. Sorry bout that.

But, I just don't see why I would like a reboot. Why not just go on to a next game that kinda has no continuity. The games now have very little continuity anyway. Why we would need a profound reboot when we already are like ignoring continuity anyway? I mean the writers of Gens had that one bit of direct continuity for the sake of it only. We could just take it out and Gens would still be the same. The next game can be just that and then the continuity can expand. Just please don't erase the foundation totally.

That's my two cents only.

Well like I said is only as pointless as the people who are writing it, and it's quality depends on how much effort when into it.

Edit: Am I shameless bumping? Yes, yes I am.

The sailing was great and actually one of my favorite parts of Wind Waker :/

That doesn't really mean it'd be appropriate for a Sonic game.

That doesn't really mean it'd be appropriate for a Sonic game.

I think traveling really fast over long distances is something Sonic would probably do a lot. I for one would LOVE to have a giant overworld to run around in.

But, I just don't see why I would like a reboot. Why not just go on to a next game that kinda has no continuity. The games now have very little continuity anyway. Why we would need a profound reboot when we already are like ignoring continuity anyway? I mean the writers of Gens had that one bit of direct continuity for the sake of it only. We could just take it out and Gens would still be the same. The next game can be just that and then the continuity can expand. Just please don't erase the foundation totally.
I just don't get this. Why are we so desperately clinging to the history of the series when the subject of a reboot comes up, when we usually just ignore it anyway?
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just don't get this. Why are we so desperately clinging to the history of the series when the subject of a reboot comes up, when we usually just ignore it anyway?

My question is the exact opposite. Why not we cling on to the history of the series as it does have some good positive look on it from the public now than lose everything we have and then give people a different thought?

(Why do I have a feeling whatever I asked is so flawed... Oh wait, it's cos I'm talking to Dio, there's almost no hope! But I must BELIEVE IN MYSELF)

So this is a fan fiction reboot idea topic now? Eh.. Well, alright.

Ragna's is the most inoffensive of the three ideas so far, so I guess it's my "favorite" but I honestly don't really like any of them.

Because we usually don't ignore it? Okay, maybe in the case of Sonic 1, most of Sonic 2, and probably all of the spin-offs, but after that we tend to keep record of the series history and we have been for quite some while.

In summary, SA1 and 2 are very firmly established in the continuity as the beginning where Sonic got more intense and layered pots and become a catalyst of the ever so annoying demand of SA3. Heroes is well established primarily for revealing that Shadow is alive and the reintroducition of the Chaotix. ShTH and Sonic 06 are established in the sense of what this series either shouldn't be doing or as a lesson of what not to do in the series. Uneashed served as the beginning of Sonic's recovery point, Colors tried to push in full throttle, and Generations celebrates the gameverse's entire history all in one.

Kinda hard to ignore those details, and after 20 years of being attached it's even harder to want that to go away or be redone in the form of a reboot.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 4

My question is the exact opposite. Why not we cling on to the history of the series as it does have some good positive look on it from the public now than lose everything we have and then give people a different thought?
Because while the series isn't still in the deepest, darkest pit that is '06, it hasn't accomplished much since then, either. I mean, in terms of characters, in terms of world, in terms of story, what's really been done to restore Sonic's reputation? They've stripped the story down to its bare minimum, they've set aside the majority of the cast (and a lot of people still hate them), how much goodwill does the series have to lose?

Because we usually don't ignore it?
Take it up with Faseeh, then:

The games now have very little continuity anyway. Why we would need a profound reboot when we already are like ignoring continuity anyway?

Because while the series isn't still in the deepest, darkest pit that is '06, it hasn't accomplished much since then, either. I mean, in terms of characters, in terms of world, in terms of story, what's really been done to restore Sonic's reputation? They've stripped the story down to its bare minimum, they've set aside the majority of the cast (and a lot of people still hate them), how much goodwill does the series have to lose?

Take it up with Faseeh, then:

It's had the best Sonic games since Sonic and Knuckles: Sonic Generations and Sonic Colours!

Yup, you are right, Sonic Team really haven't done much :P