Awoo.

Rebooting the Franchise: Good or Bad?

Kuzu

I would...

Change Eggman to Satam Robotnik. Maybe,have Eggman.as a seperate foe whom is more minor.

Retell the classics, all of them, for the First game. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3, and S&K combined

Then do something based om SA2, Rush, and colors. Blaze willingly works for Eggman (but changed sides later), unlike Rush. Rouge and Omega take a while to change sides (not until Robotnik is introduced)

Then add Robotnik. He does the coup d etat. Then it becomes like satam.

So your method to rebooting the franchise is and correct me if I'm wrong here. Turn Eggman into a terrible generic evil looking 90's cartoon badguy, rehash the classic series yet again, and... I can't make heads or tails of that last part. Is that meant to be fanfiction?

So your method to rebooting the franchise is and correct me if I'm wrong here. Turn Eggman into a terrible generic evil looking 90's cartoon badguy, rehash the classic series yet again, and... I can't make heads or tails of that last part. Is that meant to be fanfiction?

Yes. Dont worry, Blaze reforms later on. I would actually not,like a reboot, but if I had to do it, I would do it that way.

Yes. Dont worry, Blaze reforms later on. I would actually not,like a reboot, but if I had to do it, I would do it that way.

How exactly would Sonic benefit from the reboot if your idea was implemented? It sounds so convoluted it makes self insert fan fiction look sane by comparison.

Edited by Enigmatus

I'll revise my idea. I will wait a few years to reboot. This will be done to clear out new games. Then I would not retread the classics. They would still be canon, though. I would then make a new game that reintroduces... umm... Blaze?

You realize that you have just posted the absolute worst way to reboot a franchise yes? Theres no positive reason for changing Eggmans design I mean theres a reason he doesnt look like that now. It's pointless to retell the story of the original games especially when they're rereleased so often for every current and up and coming system. And nothing even makes sense in that last part, I mean what does "do something based on SA2, Rush, and colors" even mean?

Then it becomes like satam.

I accidentally read this as Satan. Whoo-

Ah, whatever. They're just as bad as each other.

• Thumbs Up 5

A reboot?

No thanks. I personally feel that the series, on it's own, is doing good right now. Sure, the 4 series isn't helping, but Colors and Generations were great games. Colors felt like a new experience, having 2D platforming, the right way, and having some kick ass music, visuals, and VA, along with writing. Generations, for some, may not have reached Colors' level of greatness, but it is still a good game. I thought the replay value for Generations was better since it had more challenges, and the Zones were fun to play.

I'm saying that I don't want a reboot when the franchise is doing fine right now.

Colors felt like a new experience, having 2D platforming, the right way,
Colors really did not do 2D Sonic platforming the right way. There were only a small handful of times that they took advantage of the fact that Sonic can handle surfaces that are not at increments of 90 degrees.

A reboot?

No thanks. I personally feel that the series, on it's own, is doing good right now. Sure, the 4 series isn't helping, but Colors and Generations were great games. Colors felt like a new experience, having 2D platforming, the right way, and having some kick ass music, visuals, and VA, along with writing. Generations, for some, may not have reached Colors' level of greatness, but it is still a good game. I thought the replay value for Generations was better since it had more challenges, and the Zones were fun to play.

I'm saying that I don't want a reboot when the franchise is doing fine right now.

I know Sonic 4 was/is underwhelming to an extent, but Sonic 4 is pretty much the reason why we got an enhanced re-make of Sonic CD in the first place. Also due to the recent success of the digital release of Sonic 4 and CD, we are now getting SA2 HD Widescreen and not just a lazy port (I hope).

As for a total reboot, what on earth could SEGA do? Personally I would settle for a game like Generations with some small tweaks.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I want to see what they could possibly do with Sonic before I come to conclusions and start forming an opinion, I'm very willing to see change a reboot can either be good or horrific they just have to play there cards right to gain my support.

Good. I've had enough of Sonic Unleashed's gameplay engine being used over and over. The formula is bad, and reusing the same gameplay engine isn't helping.

It's time to move on, and take the series somewhere new.

Good. I've had enough of Sonic Unleashed's gameplay engine being used over and over. The formula is bad, and reusing the same gameplay engine isn't helping.

It's time to move on, and take the series somewhere new.

Okay but why do the series needs a reboot for that to happen when they can easily fix or change the gameplay formula in the next game?

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 5

On the flip side, a story reboot wouldn't necessarily mean the gameplay will change. :P

As for a total reboot, what on earth could SEGA do?
What couldn't they do? With a reboot they could change very nearly everything.

I would like for the gameplay to be altered (no Boost, less Boosters, Sonic's expanded moveset isn't specific to when you absolutely must use it) and for the stories to involve the "other guys" a bit more (if it's possible to get bored of Sonic, Tails and Eggman it's happening to me, where the HELL is Knuckles?) but I don't want a reboot. The series is fine how it is and with Colors it seems to have finally found its identity.

As long as I get to fuck up Eggman and Metal Sonic as Sonic and Knuckles, they can do whatever the hell they want.

You know, as long as it isn't completely batshit retarded.

So I'm reading the thread and I'm coming across a lot of responces echoing what could be boiled down to same thing...

If it's about characters, simply reestablishing it's characters is perfectly possible without such a drastic move.

Even if they wanted to shake up the playstyle a bit, you don’t need a reboot for that.

They can fix the story and the characters in future games. They don't need an reboot to do that.

And stronger characters and more focused storytelling can be had without rebooting.

Or they could just simply give the characters purpose in future stories, this does not require a reebot.

Okay but why do the series needs a reboot for that to happen when they can easily fix or change the gameplay formula in the next game?

Yes, this sounds like an incredibly easy thing Sonic Team can do for the franchise...in theory anyway, considering that there isn't much of/any of that in practice after the psuedo-reboot that was Unleashed. It hasn't happened in Colors or Generations, why expect it to happen in the next game or any future games afterwards?

Edited by Zinos

we just need more of Sonic and the Black knight (characterizations, alternate game play, actually substantial plot)

with a better gameplay than the one we have for Sonic generations

Rebooting a game is not always a pleasant experience to the fans, looks at Crash Bandicoot for an example!

And the take a look at what is happening to the glorious DEVIL MAY CRY series, that damn reboot is causing rage among fans and gamers all over the world! (Dante looks horrible and his attitude is just...well so ...he has no personality!).

Fans love this Sonic doesn't matter if its Classic or modern, its the same Sonic! To be honest this idea of a reboot sound...well they will kill our Sonic :S and that's no good.

I'm late to this thread so please forgive me.

Everytime I think of "reboots" I think of what Christopher Nolan did with Batman or what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek. Obviously those two franchises are films and they were great. I don't know how well video game reboots do, If I'm not mistaken most video game reboots have been met with mixed opinions and obviously video games are different from films.

Generations did push the idea of a reboot in my mind, because seeing old Genesis era zones remade with modern technology was amazing. But I don't think fans would be cool with a straight up reboot/remake of the Genesis era games with more dialogue and cut scenes.

Although I'll say this, I've always hoped for video game adaptions of the Archie comics and maybe a darker Sonic game with less whimsical elements.

I think not a full reboot, but a story arc that retcons certain elements and kind of solidifies the canon, a partial reboot if you will, would be cool. Don't throw away 20 years of canon, but clear it up and solidify it more.

Edited by Chaos Warp

20 years of canon that basically amounts to nothing. What would we actually be losing?

20 years of canon that basically amounts to nothing. What would we actually be losing?

Although I don't agree with that, I would not mind a full reboot either. But the thing is, reboots for franchises often go very badly because people get attached to the old canon. So in my eyes this is a safer route.

Edited by Chaos Warp