Awoo.

Rebooting the Franchise: Good or Bad?

Kuzu

I wish the games had a permanent timeline throughout the games. It would really help establish the world and the characters more.

But where would this timeline begin and end? Would we include all spinoffs? Sequels? Would we not include games that weren't well received, such as ShTH and 06? What about Generations? While I believe we need a timeline, including all the games the Sonic franchise has would be a vast expanse.

Plus, trying to add all of the areas in every game onto one planet would be...a chore, to say the least (especially with Unleashed).

But where would this timeline begin and end? Would we include all spinoffs? Sequels? Would we not include games that weren't well received, such as ShTH and 06? What about Generations? While I believe we need a timeline, including all the games the Sonic franchise has would be a vast expanse.

Plus, trying to add all of the areas in every game onto one planet would be...a chore, to say the least (especially with Unleashed).

I really have no idea how they'd do it other than a reboot (which I'm not overly keen on) or various retcons. It would be a task but I feel if they did do it somehow, it would be a positive thing.

Ian Flynn seems to know what he's doing, since he seems to have made a coherent timeline and geography for Sonic's World with the game events and locations.

I get the feeling sega might reboot Sonic (without touching the classic games) if they finally find THE 3D gameplay they can't stop experimenting on.

I'm REALLY against a reboot at this point honestly. After going from Adventure - Heroes - Shadow - '06 - Boost - Lost World, I REALLY don't want anymore "new Sonic gameplay" or anything like that. I really wish at this point Sonic Team would stick to just one type of gameplay that works, and work on it instead of just scrapping the whole thing after not working. They keep saying that "Sonic is all about change" in these interviews like it's an excellent thing, but I really don't see it as that. Why can't we just have one type of gameplay that I can identify as "Sonic"?

In terms of a continuity reboot though (just plot-wise)... Eh, I wouldn't be too upset over it, but I don't really see the need for one. I like the way things are going now, since we're done with the mentality of EVERY character either being human or the typical humanoid-animal type thing. I liked the Deadly Six in Lost World because they were new, not "Zavok the Hedgehog" or "Zazz the Dog", etc. Seeing as how they were kind of negatively received, I'm a bit worried we'll be going back to the old system.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I think they kind of did in a way... ever since Unleashed, pretty much all of the main games has been with just Sonic and Tails as main characters. How simplistic you want it to go? Even if you erase everyone... Sega will still go back to those two characters, with some wonky storyline added to it...