Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

I hate to be that guy, but am I the only one a little bit tired of hearing about TLoU? I check IGN for news about other games often but they do an article on TLoU nearly a couple of times a week. I know the game is good, but I can't help but feel that it's somewhat overrated. I'm just one of those people that feel a bit annoyed when things become too mainstream .

I might try the game out though when I get my PS4 (hopefully summer), as it does look good.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate to be that guy, but am I the only one a little bit tired of hearing about TLoU? I check IGN for news about other games often but they do an article on TLoU nearly a couple of times a week. I know the game is good, but I can't help but feel that it's somewhat overrated. I'm just one of those people that feel a bit annoyed when things become too mainstream .

I might try the game out though when I get my PS4 (hopefully summer), as it does look good.

I wonder how people felt about Ocarina of Time way back in the day. :P

If something is that mainstream, that usually means its doing something good :P

If something is that mainstream, that usually means its doing something good tongue.png

*looks at Call Of Duty* Not always....

• Thumbs Up 3

If something is that mainstream, that usually means its doing something good :P

I didn't know that Justin Bieber did something good :P

• Thumbs Up 2

That looks very convincing. I wouldn't even mind if the box art was this.

Ugh that box irritates me for multiple reasons.

*looks at Call Of Duty* Not always....

Yea, I didn't know your dislike for the series counted for everyone's. :\

I didn't know that Justin Bieber did something good tongue.png

Demographics exist.

I wonder how people felt about Ocarina of Time way back in the day. tongue.png

Well, considering OoT changed so much about video games, mechanics, etc.....

I'm not saying that TLoU is a bad game, I just think that some people give it a bit too much praise. Same with Minecraft really, both are good games, but it's when people treat them like the holy grail of gaming that it gets annoying. Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old man. XD

I want to give TLoU a try though, so I might get it on Ps4. It looks good.

Well, considering OoT changed so much about video games, mechanics, etc.....

Fine then. Mario Galaxy.

I'm not saying that TLoU is a bad game, I just think that some people give it a bit too much praise. Same with Minecraft really, both are good games, but it's when people treat them like the holy grail of gaming that it gets annoying. Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old man. XD

I want to give TLoU a try though, so I might get it on Ps4. It looks good.

Dude, just because a game gets good reviews doesn't mean its a "holy grail". I'm kinda tired of every time something gets popular, its called "overatted".  Or "undeserving"/.

• Thumbs Up 4

The Last of Us deserves every ounce of praise it's gotten, just like all of Nintendo's critically acclaimed games in the past.

• Thumbs Up 5

Dude, just because a game gets good reviews doesn't mean its a "holy grail". I'm kinda tired of every time something gets popular, its called "overatted".  Or "undeserving"/.

Dude, he has a point. It isn't that this game is treated as popular, it's treated as the greatest thing since sliced bread. The "Citizen Kane of Gaming" and "Game of the Generation" comments that pop up not only from reviewers but also by Gaf and here really calls into question just how long a memory people have with regards to games. It's a pretty decent game, but there has definitely been a sense of over exaggeration by people at times.

Dude, he has a point. It isn't that this game is treated as popular, it's treated as the greatest thing since sliced bread. The "Citizen Kane of Gaming" and "Game of the Generation" comments that pop up not only from reviewers but also by Gaf and here really calls into question just how long a memory people have with regards to games. It's a pretty decent game, but there has definitely been a sense of over exaggeration by people at times.

This might come as a shock, but... 

hold on to your seat...

people might actually mean what they say. You know, since quality is subjective and all. 

mario games are so overrated I mean come on Galaxy was decent but it wasn't deserving of all those 10's

/sarcasm

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to say, it's hilarious seeing you get this defensive.

I don't doubt it'll sell well, if only because I doubt it'll be a straight port- there'll be more incentive. But if it literally were "pay 60 more bucks for the same game with a bigger resolution", I doubt it'd do much well at all. At first at least, would probably be a slow-burner. If only because the first one already sold so well it burned through much of the market.

I have to say, it's hilarious seeing you get this defensive.

Surprisingly, I care about the games I love. 

The fact that its over hyped isn't necessarily what I was referring to, but rather the idea that if something is overhyped, it is not deserving, or somehow inferior. Yes, the media has a habit of producing more hype than necessary, but then that's how products get known in the first place. If people hear Last of Us is good, then it would give them some incentive to try it no? Unless you're just one of those people who assume the worst of something popular, simply on the merit of being popular.

I see where Kid is coming from. This type of hype becomes slightly more meaningless the more games are able to attain it, which in turn raises expectations and pushes otherwise good experiences to the wayside for not living up to a culture that elevates multiple titles per year to this degree. It's AAA culture in a nutshell. Really, how many games have set benchmarks, or had Oscar-worthy material, or been the best game of the generation, or have been perfect, not just as determined by the public but from critical and publishing outlets, all of whom push this level of idolizing to the forefront to dominate the collective gaming culture and consciousness? And really, it's not going to slow down. Today it's The Last of Us, tomorrow it will be Grand Theft Auto 6, and it will be Call of Duty, and it will be Battlefield, and the next step after Galaxy, and the new Arkham game, and something from Valve, and something from thatgamecompany; the list goes on forever. And I'm not sure if it should, because there's something overplayed and thus artificial and unimpressive about gaming hype machines nowadays.

Ultimately, it is not the quality of the games I find questionable. I literally have no doubt The Last of Us is actually really fucking good. It's the fact that we're bombarded with so much hype year after year after year that it makes me apathetic to the meaning of the praise as time goes on. Like, so what if The Last of Us is really fucking good? That's not a notable benchmark anymore.

It's not like the same doesn't apply to other mediums? I mean, there are very regularly big awards shows for other mediums as well. Should we just brush off the Oscars next year because there will always be a big "best movie of the year", "best actor", and "best director"? 

I understand the perspective that the games industry can be poisonously hyperbolic pre-release, yes, and that the launch of an exciting game is arguably always made into an overstated event, but when a game like the Last of Us wins award after award after award even months after release, it's telling. 

I don't recall anyone here being upset at Mario Galaxy winning dozens of awards and immense praise. What exactly did that game do to avoid the mass skepticism and cynicism that the Last of Us seems to get?

The Oscars aren't a direct equivalent to the games industry which has no overriding board that votes on single winners in a few categories. 12 Years A Slave is the only official Best Film recipient of 2013. For games, fuck, it could be a toss up between Arkham, GTA V, TLoU, or Skyrim depending on who you read from or ask, and perhaps some other shit I've missed like some amazing indie hit or something.

And you're deflecting; who in the world is saying that this wasn't a problem when Galaxy came out? It was a problem. It's been a problem for probably two or three generations now, and it's only getting worse. We're only talking about TLoU though because it's the current subject in the Playstation 4 thread and it fits the overall problem I'm talking about (even though I listed tons of examples of games that will definitely go through the same motions). But if it will make you feel better, yes, the sheer extent of praise and shit Galaxy and its boring sequel got annoyed me too, and this is despite the fact I love Galaxy.

So then, in the absence of such an all-encompassing official awards show, is there no value in a game winning a vast majority of awards from the numerous popular sites that currently report on these things? Did it not mean anything that Skyrim won the most awards and garnered the most praise in 2012, or that The Last of Us did the same in 2013?