Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

The PS4's success lies in a combination of things.

1. Brand recognition.

Doesn't matter which way you slice it, PlayStation is an extremely well known brand. And when it comes to home consoles, Sony have NEVER performed poorly. Their worst selling home console is the PS3, with 80+ Million units. They know a thing or two about making games systems, that's for certain. Sony as a brand themselves, while not as huge as they used to be, are also really recognisable.

2. Marketing. 

Sony have years of marketing experience, and they funnelled that straight into the PS4. And a really important thing is, they knew when to keep quiet and allow circulating rumours to swell and generate hype. Ad campaigns are widespread and really effective for sure.

3. Poor showings from competitors

Nintendo wasted a great opportunity, by not having any significant software in the first 12 months of their consoles's launch. Yeah they have games now, but they also have fierce competition, its a different ball-game now. Microsoft had a disastrous beginning with E3 and a lot of negative press. Yeah they went back on it and improved their offerings, but the bad smell must still remain in some parts. Plus, they failed to launch in a timely fashion in a number of significant gaming markets.

• Thumbs Up 3

Positive word of mouth - that is constantly reinforced by the system being actually a robust, competent machine, as well as the fact this generation dragged for far too long and the core userbase was more than ready for a generational leap are other factors contributing to rapid adoption.

Also, unlike other systems at release, the lack of any particularly exotic hardware component has led to higher production volumes from the start (even if they still had trouble meeting demand). Chtulhu knows PS2 and Wii would've easily sold 20 million the first year had they been able to make 20 million systems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah yus, but apart from that (which wasn't exactly an AMAZING game anyway) what else does the console have to offer besides a bunch of multiplatform games and one or two exclusives?

I can see why the PS4 is so appealing though, certainly more so than an Xbone! But I'm not buying it until I see more games that interest me. And of course get the money to buy one in the first place.

Why do third party multiplats and indie games not count as a reason to get the console, though? The best selling games on pretty much every system not made by Nintendo these days is multiplat. That's just where the market is and why people buy these systems. I doubt many people chose to get the PS4 over the Xbox One because they wanted Knack, Killzone, and inFamous, but I'm sure the majority of the sales came from a market that wanted a shiny new system to play the best version of CoD or AssCreed, and heard the PS4 was the console to get for that.

To be fair, SO many people who've played Infamous have called it underwhelming. I'm kinda dissapointed by that news, really.

I think if you like the other games you'll like this one plenty, to be honest. My disappointment with the game stemmed from me expecting more from a series I was never particularly in love with. It's very polished and has good mechanics, but in my opinion lacks depth and suffers from an insultingly stupid narrative.

To be fair, the Wii U took longer to get a great exclusive unless you count NSMBU, but then you could count Shadow Fall for the PS4 and Killer Instinct for the Xbone.

Don't forget that Titanfall was also on PC, which helped its chart position.

Guess who's just bought a PS4 biggrin.png

KperF77.png?1

Yeah I already own Ground Zeroes on PS3, but I like it so much that I decided to get a pre-owned copy for my PS4.

It's a beautiful system.

No issues setting it up, although it wouldn't let me log into PSN (using my account for PSN on PS3). So I reset my password and now it works fine.

Now all I need is to buy some PS4 games. Any suggestions?

Also bought The Wolverine on dvd because it's awesome!

If you haven't played Tomb Raider 2013 yet and don't have a PC good enough to run at max settings, I guess the PS4 version is worth investing in.

Wow...you purchased a game twice...which is more of a freaking demo. But thank God you got a preowned copy instead of new.

Welcome to the club though. =D

So far I've got Metal Gear (which you have covered :)), Tomb Raider, and inFamous. I think TR's a great game, I enjoyed the hell out of it on my dinky PC last year and though I haven't actually played much of my PS4 version, it's an easy recommendation for me. It's super fun and engaging from start to finish. inFamous is a good game, but one I'd keep my expectations in check for. The marketing and initial reveal had led me to believe that this game would be much smarter and more engaging than it's predecessors, but that turned out not to be the case. It's mechanically solid, but lacks depth. I still enjoyed it enough to beat it though, and I might go for the Platinum at some point. Photo Mode is amazing.

PSN+ Should be your first game.

Resogun.

Killzone (though mainly for the multiplayer).

Not really played much of my PS4 at the moment.

I would suggest that if you DO have a PC that can run Tomb Raider really well, get that version instead due to sales.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yeah, liking the PS4 a lot. Gotta say I love the feature which records like the last 15 minutes of gameplay of the game you're playing. Now people can watch my awesome rubbish playthroughs of Ground Zeroes. Haha.

I like the PS4 controller. It's really comfortable to hold and has some neat features.

As for the differences between the PS3 & PS4 version of GZ, naturally the 60fps & 1080P on the PS4 version make the cutscenes feel more smooth. In turns of the gameplay it doesn't really feel that different. The default control scheme on the PS4 verion has the L1/R1 & L2/R2 buttons swapped round which doesn't take too long to adjust to. 

Killzone: Shadow Fall, Resogun and Warframe are games to consider if you like shooters (of various kinds). KZ:SF's campaign is mediocre, but the multiplayer is quite good (though seems to suffer from some class over-centralization) and will be well supported with DLC (including free map packs). Warframe is decent, has a nice pace and a fairly robust feature-set, but can turn into a pain in the ass grind if you're not willing to spend any money on it (it's Free-to-play, and while you can get almost everything in the game by just playing, it can be quite tedious and time-consuming). Resogun is an eyegasm that's fairly enjoyable for the few hours it takes to clear it. I wouldn't recommend it for £12 or whatever (I got it free with PS+, but it's no longer on offer). Trine 2: Complete Story is good fun, and Fl0w is decent if you can accustom yourself to the control scheme (it can be somewhat finicky at times). I would also recommend Tomb Raider: DE and Flower if you haven't played the previous generation versions of those games.

As someone else mentioned, Child of Light should be releasing rather soon and that sounds pretty great. I would also second pretty much everything Discoid said. Personally, I'm just waiting for more information on The Order: 1886. I'll probably get The Last of Us on PS4, too. Never played the original.

Oh shit, yeah. I completely forgot about my PSN purchases. Definitely jump on Resogun, Flower, and Sound Shapes. They're all great. Get Resogun through Plus though, it's a great value. I traded in my copy of Killzone (used the money to buy The Last of Us), but the multiplayer is great according to my friend who loves hardcore shooters (he's not really fond of CoD). 

I forgot about Sound Shapes.  It looks to be a fairly fun and creative platformer. It's got cross-buy too, so if you have a Vita, that's some nice additional incentive. I'll probably be buying this myself at some point, and I recommend you at least look into it.

Killzone: Shadow Fall's Multiplayer is pretty good, yes. Unfortunately, I have encountered issues related to spawning (poor spawn areas, getting spawn-trapped easily) and over-centralization in the class system. These things aren't omnipresent, and your experience may differ, but I ran into these issues more often than I would have liked. Many, many people roll out as the Support with the Aerial Drone or the Turret. As Support, they have access to a nasty selection of weapons and are able to heal their allies (mandatory ability) and provide good map coverage and surveillance via the Drone, which itself is tough and stands a good chance of killing players. Same goes for the Turret. The class is fantastic for any objective-based game modes, in particular.

Sound Shapes is a must gettttttt. But, that's all I can say at the moment. >.<

I have started to play Flower (PS4)

This is wonderful. It looks incredible on the PS4. Feels really good to control too.

Oh didn't know! So it's like Sound Shapes then. I'll definitely download Flower for PS4 whenever PSN is back up from this stupid maintenance. x.x;;

(Because I liked Flower when I played it on PS3)

Thank you for telling me!

Yeah, Flower on PS4 has 1080p, double the framerate, increased grass density, the better dual shock 4 gyros and it's free if you already owned it.

Well worth a replay..