Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

From what I got from that, the most crucial part: the games: aren't really there right now, which is further confirming my decision to wait until Infamous comes out. 

It's kinda weird, Sony usually has really great 1st-party exclusives, what the fuck went wrong with something like Knack?

Edited by Chaos Warp

From what I got from that, the most crucial part: the games: aren't really there right now, which is further confirming my decision to wait until Infamous comes out. 

It's kinda weird, Sony usually has really great 1st-party exclusives, what the fuck went wrong with something like Knack?

Headed by a man who spread himself too thin. Cerny had to juggle designing the PS4's hardware, developing Knack as well as being a senior member of SCEJ. As such he probably couldn't commit 100% to designing the game, probably resulting in the final product being sub-par.

Headed by a man who spread himself too thin. Cerny had to juggle designing the PS4's hardware, developing Knack as well as being a senior member of SCEJ. As such he probably couldn't commit 100% to designing the game, probably resulting in the final product being sub-par.

That makes sense. A damn shame too, I was really hyped for Knack and I hoped it would be a new more family friendly platformer franchise for Sony on PS4 to go alongside Rachet and Sly (if they bother to make a PS4 one). 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Hm, looks like I'm the first guy here who has a PS4.

Some short impressions here, then: the UI is slick and fast, love the menu music, like how you can quickly switch between two open apps with a double press of the PS button, and viewing livestreams from other people works as advertised, albeit a little low on the quality side.

Unfortunately, I have no disc based games, so I'll have to make do with the games on PS Plus and some demos.

And that's all I have to say here. Any questions, ask me.

Some short impressions here, then: the UI is slick and fast, love the menu music, like how you can quickly switch between two open apps with a double press of the PS button, and viewing livestreams from other people works as advertised, albeit a little low on the quality side.

Unfortunately, I have no disc based games, so I'll have to make do with the games on PS Plus and some demos.

How hot is it running?

How hot is it running?

I have it on the UI (or the PS Dynamic Menu as its officially called), so it barely feels warm to the touch. At least on the top. I have the console placed outside next to my monitor, btw, so it should be getting more than enough air.

EDIT: Playing Resogun right now, and it does get a little warmer when you're playing a game. Only a little, though.

As for how loud, well, at least its way quieter than my PC here. So I don't think you should worry about that.

Edited by Super Klonoa

How hot is it running?

I'll try finding a source, but I remember seeing some details about thermals and noise on Gaf.

I don't recall it going above 45 Celcius under heave load (Multitasking; running Killzone and the GUI in parallel)

Noise....?

I think ~50dB under any load right up close, and then ~40dB from 2 or 3 metres away.

I'll try finding that source...

EDIT:

Also, the fact that the PS4 has a 6x Blu-Ray player, means that it will be slightly louder when the disk is popped in. I guess that it is for this reason that the game auto-installs in the background, so the content can be cached quickly and the drive can stop.

EDIT 2:

fID19io.png

Heres the image, still need to find its source...

Edited by Scar

Congrats on being one of the first peoples to get a PS4 man biggrin.png! While I don't plan on getting one anytime soon (waiting for Uncharted 4 and Santa Monica's New IP to come out first), there are already a lot of great games on the system (AC IV and Battlefield 4 look to be the best on PS4, with COD, Need for Speed Rivals, NBA 2K14 and the other 3rd party games being good too) and I hear lots of great things about Killzone and Resogun. Enjoy your system :).

image21.jpg

Shots fired.

I don't see how that's a shot being fired. They're just being nice.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't see how that's a shot being fired. They're just being nice.

Yep. Here's some proof of this....yes, this is real.

original.jpg

Also, remember when CoD Ghosts needed to be patched to be played in 1080p on the PS4? Well, AssCreed 4 is joining the club.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/15/day-one-patch-brings-assassins-creed-4-on-ps4-to-1080p

Here is their reason:

But why ship at 900p in the first place? To meet an essential goal: deliver a visually brilliant game at a steady 30 frames per second (the industry gold standard for open-world games). Finishing the game at 900p gave the development team the extra room in terms of the GPU and CPU usage to ensure the framerate never dips below 30 frames per second. The team then used the time between the ship date and the release to focus on a title update that could deliver native 1080p resolution on the PS4.

Edited by KrazyBean

Ah well, who gives a shit. It's only a stupid resolution anyway, and look at what happened to the PS4 version of Ghosts. I'll take a smooth game over 1080p. 

And at least the PS4 can handle 1080p at all, unlike the Xbone *runs*

To be honest, even the PS3 or 360 could handle 1080p native. The only difference is the fact that graphical effects and shader quality would need to be reduced in order to run at a decent framerate.

As always, with SP games which don't rely on twitch reactions, devs will try to cram as many graphical effects as they possibly can, while maintaining 30fps. 

They should both support 1080P at 60FPS on the majority of games. It's laughable it's 2013 and yet that is still going to be an issue into the next gen.

I think a lot of people were naive when they ranted on about next-gen being 1080p/60fps. It's not really a power problem, it's a choice the developers make.

You can either have more details at the expense of resolution and framerate, or a higher framerate/resolution at the expense of details.

I think a lot of people were naive when they ranted on about next-gen being 1080p/60fps. It's not really a power problem, it's a choice the developers make.

You can either have more details at the expense of resolution and framerate, or a higher framerate/resolution at the expense of details.

Yep pretty much explains why games like mgs: r and cod are soooo smooth, where as gta 4 and 5 sometimes chug at 20 fps struggling to even reach 30 fps.

Why are these so called "next gen" systems struggling at providing even 1080p graphics consistently through there entire game library.

If so, the longevity of this gaming generation looks short, especially 4K TV's on the horizon.

I want both which is why I've made the decision I'm noting buying either of the consoles and go PC. There's no reason they shouldn't be 1080p/60fps at least at the beginning of this gen. If that's an issue now it's only going to be worse in 5-7 years time as games demand more and more.