Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Heres another epic share moment.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=227865257389409&l=690534441595549066

I can easilly see whole sites being created around this feature in the future.

Stop hyping me for PS4! I haz no money for one yet sad.png

Anyway, that was hilarious.

Biggest console launch in history. Impressive. Sony won't be having any problems reaching the 5 million forecast it seems.

It causes a bit of concern going into the Xbox One though. As much of a success that this spells for companies valuing customers, with Wii U being on life support and the abysmal word of mouth surrounding the Xbone, it would set an awful precedent if none of these consoles can achieve a relative parity similar to what their predecessors had in the previous gen. An industry that's being dominated by one company isn't exactly healthy business, which Yoshida even acknowledged himself a couple of days ago when he stated that the industry needs Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 5

I can see no one listened to Brentalfloss's prophecy....................

No but seriously I'm rather surprised. I suppose even with the lack of good launch titles and tech growing pains, hype managed to carry it this far? Either way that's pretty impressive. 

I still think that the Xbone will sell well though, just not as well as this. I predict roughly roughly around 600,000 sales in the first 24. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Woah! I seriously wasn't expecting those numbers so quick O_O

So.....er.....

Yeah, the PS4 has sold through 1,000,000 Units in its first 24 hours in North America alone......

Not much can be said other than....well....WOW!

This is better than the PS2, right? This console will utterly kill in Europe. We love our PlayStation over here.

Edited by KrazyBean

Biggest console launch in history. Impressive. Sony won't be having any problems reaching the 5 million forecast it seems.

It causes a bit of concern going into the Xbox One though. As much of a success that this spells for companies valuing customers, with Wii U being on life support and the abysmal word of mouth surrounding the Xbone, it would set an awful precedent if none of these consoles can achieve a relative parity similar to what their predecessors had in the previous gen. An industry that's being dominated by one company isn't exactly healthy business, which Yoshida even acknowledged himself a couple of days ago when he stated that the industry needs Nintendo.

I agree. Competition is the best thing for our industry. Hopefully MS can pull it together to prevent another PS2 situation. We need the Xbone at the very least, to compete with the PS4. The Wii U would do well to carve itself a GameCube-esque niche in the market. Its not much, but its enough to keep them relevant.

The industry at large is much bigger now than it ever has been; 205 Million (estimated) units for Gen 6 all told, verses over 260 Million (estimated) in Gen 7 altogether. Hopefully these means that there is still room for the likes of Nintendo to grow, even if the PS4 runs away with a bunch of sales at the front end of this generation.

I have a feeling though, that while maybe not as massive, the Xbone is going to have a pretty good launch too, given its multimedia ambitions....at least in the US. Can't speak for Europe or Japan, which are Sony-land through and through.

• Thumbs Up 1

So.....er.....

Yeah, the PS4 has sold through 1,000,000 Units in its first 24 hours in North America alone......

Not much can be said other than....well....WOW!

Well. I officially know what company's stock I'm purchasing on Monday.

I mean seriously, good lord. While I think PS3 had an edge over 360, the 360 was still a fairly relevant console... this generation, it's looking like Nintendo and Microsoft can't hope to really compete. As everyone says, I can easily see this turning into a repeat of the PS2 era, but even worse due to an extremely weak Nintendo. It really looks like the PS4 will be the most mainstream of the consoles by far.

Launch day was going to be "sell every unit you put in stores" day. While it's certainly impressive, it's only an indicator of how many PS4s they managed to ship, and bears no relevance to how well the system will hold during the following months.

Good start tho. Let's see how many units they allocated for Yurop next.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a big Sony fan when it comes to their systems, I'll be getting the PS4 at some point. Sadly, since I got a Wii U with Lost World, it'll be a while before I get another console. Then again, I'm one who waits for a good game that I'm interested in before getting the system. Maybe when a new Ratchet and Clank game comes out, I'll get it. I'll have to find a job, since I'm getting closer to being 16 (I'm a few months away), and I'll have to get a summer and/or a weekend job somewhere. 

Launch day was going to be "sell every unit you put in stores" day. While it's certainly impressive, it's only an indicator of how many PS4s they managed to ship, and bears no relevance to how well the system will hold during the following months.

Good start tho. Let's see how many units they allocated for Yurop next.

Nope. Yoshida confirmed that they sold 1 Million. As in sold to the consumers. These aren't shipment figures.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow, the PS4 already sold 1 million systems? That's crazy, especially with the amount of great games out on the PS3/360 still coming. I'm not getting one till late next year (letting that PS+ library build up like I did before I got my Vita biggrin.png) but that is really impressive they have been so successful in not even a day; now imagine how the PS4 will sell with a huge first party game like Uncharted or SSM's new IP?

Congratulations Sony, you've dun good :). As for this implying a PS2-era level of dominance, I don't think so. Sure, the X1 has gotten a lot bad rap over the past few months with the whole DRM fiasco, the whole resolution wars with much of the X1 library being at 720p, and the launch line up looking worse and worse (Ryse looking unimpressive and Dead Rising 3 being a technical mess :(). But even with that, the Xbox brand is powerful (there is a reason they have been so successful in the US for so long) and many would argue that the X1 holds the more value in the long run (the multi-media features, Cable Box support and Kiniect implementation alone are enough for families to get this as they media hub), so I think the system will do well, not at PS4 levels but much better than the Wii U and Original Xbox :).

Holy shit! That's pretty damn good for console with hardly any great launch titles! Not to mention (some) faulty consoles from Amazon and other retailers. I wonder how many more will be refunded? =P

Seriously though good job Sony! I'll be picking one up when the price goes down and better games come out.

Nope. Yoshida confirmed that they sold 1 Million. As in sold to the consumers. These aren't shipment figures.

You misunderstand me. I'm saying the number of systems sold is equal to how many they got into stores. ie: if they had 2 million PS2s available back then, they'd have sold 2 million PS2s on launch day. Demand > supply.

It remains to be seen at which pace it performs after launch craze. And attach ratios, to lock in constant 3rd party support.

Gen 6 was my favorite out of all of them, and the PS2 is my favorite console, so I can't say I particularly mind a repeat of that, haha. Monopolies are definitely bad in theory, but I didn't see any really negative points to that generation. Lots of amazing games on all three systems.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, goddamn it. This might be a repeat of the PS2 after all.

If we get something like Gen 6 again that would be pretty fantastic, not gonna lie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoa. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Christmas season and what it will bring for Sony. This is amazing! Still not gonna get a ps4 yet, but good to know Sony can keep themselves kicking.