Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

My comment had nothing to do with whether or not I agreed with your assessment. It was to do with noting the repetition of a negative behavioural trait. Whenever something is brought up in a negative light with regards to Sony you become defensive and typically immediately resort to making the same unrelated complaints about competing companies for no apparent reason.

Edited by Chronozoah

Sony dominated the PS1 era, then went on to make my favorite console of all time. Success doesn't always have to lead to complacency.

While I am generally against monopolies as one should be, the two first Playstation eras were some of the best in gaming history. I wholeheartedly welcome a return to form.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sony dominated the PS1 era, then went on to make my favorite console of all time. Success doesn't always have to lead to complacency.

While I am generally against monopolies as one should be, the two first Playstation eras were some of the best in gaming history. I wholeheartedly welcome a return to form.

No, it doesn't necessarily, but it is all too easy for it result in that - hell, Sony arguably demonstrated this themselves with the start of the previous generation. I'm pretty sure they let the popularity and sales of the PS2 go a little to their heads.

I am against monopolies in general, regardless of which product, generation of products or company I happen to prefer.

No, it doesn't necessarily, but it is all too easy for it result in that - hell, Sony arguably demonstrated this themselves with the start of the previous generation. I'm pretty sure they let the popularity and sales of the PS2 go a little to their heads.

I am against monopolies in general, regardless of which product, generation of products or company I happen to prefer.

While that may be true, the wake up call that was 2006-2007 did do quite a bit to make them get their act together, and they did. 2008 was quite the turnaround, and they've been doing well since then, handheld space notwithstanding. The PS4 is killing it and I'm merely saying that if historical evidence is any indicator, a Sony dominated generation is not a bad thing at all.

I'm not ashamed to admit my own bias, being a Playstation owner since I was a child, but as I said, while that domination may possibly lead to complacency, history is not indicative of this and the last two times it happened it did nothing but good for the industry.

I think with Hirai as Sony's CEO, Kutaragi gone, and Shuhei and House in such high positions in the company, we have a lot of good things coming for the Playstation brand as a whole, and I welcome it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm. From the perspective of a Sony fan - that does indeed seem like the expected way of looking at it. As I said, I have a problem with monopolies in general, and even if a company has overcome issues of complacency before - that is not enough or indicative that such an event won't repeat, and the fact that the PS4, as you said, is killing it, should not fill one with confidence given how they historically reacted to dominating the industry. How they handle this launch (as well as the one after it) and beyond will be a more accurate means of gauging how much they've learned their lesson, as this is the first major home console launch since the PS3 (which is where the aforementioned issues were apparent).

Like you said, there seems to be plenty of good on the way for PlayStation fans, though, so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm. From the perspective of a Sony fan - that does indeed seem like the expected way of looking at it. As I said, I have a problem with monopolies in general, and even if a company has overcome issues of complacency before - that is not enough or indicative that such an event won't repeat, and the fact that the PS4, as you said, is killing it, should not fill one with confidence given how they historically reacted to dominating the industry. How they handle this launch (as well as the one after it) and beyond will be a more accurate means of gauging how much they've learned their lesson, as this is the first major home console launch since the PS3 (which is where the aforementioned issues were apparent).

Like you said, there seems to be plenty of good on the way for PlayStation fans, though, so.

To be fair, however, they have had two instances of dominating the market. Not just one, and that needs to be kept in mind.

The PS1 outsold its closest competitor, the N64, more than three times over. 102 million vs. 32 million, with everything else lagging behind even more. They followed that not with complacency and arrogance, but one of the greatest and most beloved consoles of all time, with plenty of its best sellers being published and developed by SCEA themselves.

Even then, the PS3's biggest problem wasn't complacency, but rather the exact opposite and with an enormous amount of arrogance as well. Even when they were on top of the world, Sony has never sat still and stopped progressing (something that I'd argue Nintendo is unfortunately guilty of, personally). The PS3 took a lot of enormous risks and did some crazy things that drove the price up astronomically. Over-ambitiousness and overwhelming arrogance was what caused the PS3 to fumble, and the Xbox One suffered from the exact same issues just a few months ago.

I certainly hope they don't lose their heads again, but you are correct. I will say that I am actively hoping for the PS4 to be as great a success as the PS2, and I'm very interested in seeing where it goes from a business standpoint.

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember saying that it would be a good idea and some people on here said it was a dumb idea because it was too expensive.

Hmmm.

Pretty sure if my PS4 played that on start up I would assume its possessed and try to purify it only for it to short out and stop working.

Yeah I just heard about that. Aparently a number of people are now doing it.

Calling it now, Sony starts making a game or an app that lets people actually run their own TV Shows using the Playstation camera.

Really wasn't sure where to post this.

Corrinne Yu has left Microsoft to work at Naughty Dog.

For those who don't know. Corrinne Yu is a very well known and respected graphics coder in the videogames industry... hell in the computing industry as a whole for that matter.

She has over 20 years of experience under her belt and has worked for both Gearbox and on the NASA Rockwell project. Previously, she was at Microsoft and one of the founding members of the Halo team.

Well... she's now working on the PS4 and at Naughty Dog of all places

kkk569H.png

Wowzers!

For those who don't know, this is a major hire by Naughty Dog, probably the hire of the year as far as these things go.

• Thumbs Up 9

Really wasn't sure where to post this.

Corrinne Yu has left Microsoft to work at Naughty Dog.

For those who don't know. Corrinne Yu is a very well known and respected graphics coder in the videogames industry... hell in the computing industry as a whole for that matter.

She has over 20 years of experience under her belt and has worked for both Gearbox and on the NASA Rockwell project. Previously, she was at Microsoft and one of the founding members of the Halo team.

Well... she's now working on the PS4 and at Naughty Dog of all places

kkk569H.png

Wowzers!

For those who don't know, this is a major hire by Naughty Dog, probably the hire of the year as far as these things go.

O...M...G. Uncharted 4 will look orgasmic now, and yes, Windows 8 is ass.

Edited by KrazyBean

As nice as that will be.

I'm wondering if this hire has anything to do with Naughty Dogs not so super secret space game that they keep denying?

I would also be ecstatic if I stopped having to deal with W8.

Wonder if she'll be working on specific games or in the general tech dev team over at ND.