Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Why not? Just because there was a lot of hype doesn't mean they can't live up to it. 

The xbone launch lineup looks way better.

And also consists mostly of multiplats.................

Heard the Wii and PS2 enjoyed a strong launch. I can't speak on the quality of their launch titles though, don't really know much about them.

Well the Wii had WiiSports and Zelda I guess. The PS2 one was ass in australia. With just TTT and Ridge Raaaacer being the only games people care about.

And also consists mostly of multiplats.................

Killer Instinct, Dead Rising, Forza, Oops

Well the Wii had WiiSports and Zelda I guess. The PS2 one was ass in australia. With just TTT and Ridge Raaaacer being the only games people care about.

Killer Instinct, Dead Rising, Forza, Oops

For PS4 I raise you Killzone, Resogun and Flower. And DR3 looks like a boring cod-ifiying of the series: Capcom even said that they wanted it to appeal to CoD fans.  http://www.destructoid.com/dead-rising-3-designed-to-appeal-to-call-of-duty-fans-256136.phtml

Edited by Chaos Warp

Isn't Dead Rising 3 a technical mess anyway? I heard it was dipping below 20 fps every time something happened, and that was at 720p.

What have you got against Flower and Killzone?

Flower is fun for the two hours it takes to play it. Only if you didn't play it last gen.

Killzone has always been middling, hence the middling reviews. I don't really think it's a must have for anyone who isn't already obsessed with killzone.

Flower is fun for the two hours it takes to play it. Only if you didn't play it last gen.

Killzone has always been middling, the middling review. I don't really think it's a must have for anyone who isn't already obsessed with killzone.

I wouldn't say that about Killzone. From what I've heard, Shadowfall has a campaign which actually isn't a super-linear corridor-fest and actually has exploration, which sounds pretty great to me.

To be fair, what's being expected of Killer Instinct and Forza here? Those are the only ones that really look like they might be decent.

Why not? Just because there was a lot of hype doesn't mean they can't live up to it. 

The xbone launch lineup looks way better.

Because the hype was blown to unreasonable proportions, almost to the point of self-deception. There was no Sony could have lived up to the hype that had been built up even if they had a great launch line-up. This is not to say that I'm defending their somewhat sub-par launch, merely acknowledging that the hype was overblown to the extent that it would prove detrimental to gamers when people came around to actually playing the games. 

Agreed.

I've heard good things about Ryse from people who have attended Xbox One Tour events. Same goes for Killer Instinct and Forza 5, whereas Dead Rising 3 seems to have created conflict ('It's fun!' versus 'It's a technical blunder').

For PS4 I raise you Killzone, Resogun and Flower. And DR3 looks like a boring cod-ifiying of the series 

Funny, that's exactly what I've been hearing about Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Edited by Heinous Creature

gjyFpAX.jpg

If this gets confirmed that's what I'm getting.

I don't really think it's a must have for anyone who isn't already obsessed with killzone.

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions Forza and Killer Instinct

I've heard good things about Ryse from people who have attended Xbox One Tour events. Same goes for Killer Instinct and Forza 5, whereas Dead Rising 3 seems to have created conflict ('It's fun!' versus 'It's a technical blunder').

I've been hearing the opposite of Ryse a LOT (technical showpiece but boring/broken as fuck). Based on that and Crytek's track record I'd pick Dead Rising over it any day of the week, framerate issues be damned. But that's discussion for another thread.

gjyFpAX.jpg

If this gets confirmed that's what I'm getting.

Where did you find that? 

I've been hearing the opposite of Ryse a LOT (technical showpiece but boring/broken as fuck). 

Do elaborate and provide sources, please. I am interested to learn what you've found out, because Ryse was one of the games I was considering getting.

Where did you find that? 

Some online stores uploaded the image, seems far too elaborate for the placeholder art they usually do.

And with Sucker Punch teasing a new trailer + release date very soon, it's got a fair chance of being legit.

Do elaborate and provide sources, please. I am interested to learn what you've found out, because Ryse was one of the games I was considering getting.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ryse_son_of_rome/b/xboxone/archive/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-rome-is-as-fun-as-dialing-phone-numbers.aspx

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-rome-and-its-low-slung-combat-ceiling/

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81910/ryse-son-of-rome-preview-pretty-boring

Last week previews. But the embargo will break soon on Xbone games anyways so wait for that, watch some videos and decide yourself. Reviewers are people* with their own bias and opinions that may differ from yours.

* certain evident clowns excluded

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not too hot on Ryse either because I think it looks kind of simple. It shoudl be noted I don't really have average taste when it comes to action games, as I pretty much think everyone should be striving for Bayonetta/TW101 level mechanics. 

cv0122fvszo.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

Funny, that's exactly what I've been hearing about Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Really? That's not what I've been hearing. I've been hearing people say that the story is filled with cliches, but the actual gameplay is much less linear then your average CoD campaign and features much more exploration, and while that's good I've also heard that the multiplayer is awesome and the best thing about the game, mixing standard Killzone flavor with a new level of accessibility. 

If I get a defective PS4, then I'm getting a refund and waiting until next year...also here's an interesting discussion about the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHIHbPcWfA

Like I said in the statuses, I'll most likely have the money saved to buy one by February or March, by then Sony should have fixed up the BreakStation4.

Oh PS4..............I was so hyped for you..............and you failed me..............should have known it was too good to be true. Next-generation sucks for the most part, I'll stick to my (working) Wii-U and 3ds for a bit longer in terms of next-gen hardware.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Like I said in the statuses, I'll most likely have the money saved to buy one by February or March, by then Sony should have fixed up the BreakStation4.

Way to blow this out of proportion.

So far, I've counted 9 instances out of a potential sample size of 4444 (in addition to the review units), which is a failure rate of 0.20%.

Given that the entire electronics industry reports on average a failure rate of 3-5%, I'd say this isn't a huge problem.

And like I said in Warp's status. Twitter and Facebook hand't existed for any previous console launch. So news of a handful of console failures, wouldn't have spread as fast as they ultimately have. This situation is not even close to as bad as the RROD, which was the motherboard effectively melting.

As always with console launches, people like to blow things out of proportion.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3

What's the problem?

So far, I've counted 9 instances out of a potential sample size of 4444 (in addition to the review units), which is a failure rate of 0.20%.

Given that the entire electronics industry reports on average a failure rate of 3-5%, I'd say this isn't a huge problem.

And like I said in Warp's status. Twitter and Facebook hand't existed for any previous console launch. So news of a handful of console failures, wouldn't have spread as fast as they ultimately have. This situation is not even close to as bad as the RROD, which was the motherboard effectively melting.

As always with console launches, people like to blow things out of proportion.

But couldn't the percentage go way up when the sample size increases massively on the 15th? 

And where are you getting this 4444 figure from? IIRC, we don't know exactly how many PS4's are out being used right now................

Edited by Chaos Warp

But couldn't the percentage go way up when the sample size increases massively on the 15th? 

And where are you getting this 4444 figure from? IIRC, we don't know how many PS4's are out right now................

The number of PS4's Sony is giving away for free before and during launch. There is also that Taco Bell thing in the US. I'm not sure if those PS4's are a part of the 4444

I presume those, alongside the units which broke the release date, are the ones which users are reporting problems with.

And yes, the numbers could go up. But to reach a faulure rate of 5% which is still acceptable, we'll need to have heard of over 222 instances of failure (probably more with the units that broke the release date.

The number of PS4's Sony is giving away for free before and during launch. There is also that Taco Bell thing in the US. I'm not sure if those PS4's are a part of the 4444

I presume those, alongside the units which broke the release date, are the ones which users are reporting problems with.

And yes, the numbers could go up. But to reach a faulure rate of 5% which is still acceptable, we'll need to have heard of over 222 instances of failure (probably more with the units that broke the release date.

Who says we have heard about all instances of failure, that many could have failed and we may just not have heard about them at all. 

What was the failure rate of the Xbox 360 and PS3?

EDIT: Shuhei Yoshida has responded to the problem!

Be assured we are investigating reported PS4 issues. The number is very small compared to shipped, we believe they are isolated incidents.

— Shuhei Yoshida (@yosp) November 14, 2013

Edited by KrazyBean

Who says we have heard about all instances of failure, that many could have failed and we may just not have heard about them at all.

I'm not really claiming to know of every instance of failure. I just said I've counted 9 instances. Which so far, based on what I know, regarding the number of units that have probably gone out, I calculated a failure rate of less than a quarter of a percent.

You're blowing this all out of proportion. To an almost ridiculous degree too, if I may add. If you're going to act like this is some huge widespread, RROD-level problem, then bring me hard facts. So far, the number of failures seems to be perfectly normal for an electronic device.

What was the failure rate of the Xbox 360 and PS3?

IIRC, the initial failure rate of the Original 360, was like 35%, with refurbished models jumping up to over 50%. The Original PS3's failure rate....was....10%? Someone should clarify if they know more than I.

The slim models dropped the failure rates considerably for both.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's a mass manufactured electronic device, it was never going to be 0% - but you're gonna need a bigger sample to quantify.  Estimating %s is premature right now.

On other news, that new PS4 launch trailer has a lot of nice subtle references.

Including the one where they imply a new Crash Bandicoot.