Awoo.

Pokemon Black & White 2 [DS]

PSI Wind

did black and white sell that well and were indeed fan favorites to warrant a "sequel." I am personally upset by this announcement seeing how Hoenn needs more love

• Thumbs Up 2

Did the creators of Yugioh give Gamefreak a fusion card, or something. I mean Deoxys, Giratina and Shaymin's forms are interesting (Giratina's being my favorite), but this is rather interesting and weird at the same time with Kyurem. For some odd reason Black and White didn't really appeal to me this time around, I watch the show sometimes but the games are not connecting with me like they use to. Black and white 2 has to do something BIG for me to pay more attention.Super Mario 3DLand, Mario Kart 7, Sonic Generations 3ds, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis Open, and Animal Crossing, and Super Mario Bros 2d(new game), have my attention at the moments, so like I said B/W 2 has to be BIG

For all we know Black and White 2 could take place in Hoenn, and so kills two birds with one stone.

Remember that Black and White aren't just colors in name; their deeper meanings about polar opposites are an actual plot point in the two games. Black and White 2 could extend those meanings into a deeper plot, regardless of the location.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering you're the first person I've heard that doesn't like it.

You act like this negates said opinion or something.

Yes, believe it or not, there are people who aren't going to like a story just because it was automatically added when it wasn't there before. I personally thought everything about B/W's story was pretentious and grating, and N was not an engaging character at all. He was dumb. And stupid. And stupid. And dumb.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see why some people are disappointed about the existence of Black Version 2 and White Version 2.

So they chose not to do a single director's cut like the expected Gray/Grey/Chrome. So they chose for it to be on the Nintendo DS at base instead of moving on to the Nintendo 3DS. So what? How is this wrong in any way at all?

Who the hell cares? If anything, this makes me happier than seeing a simple 3rd version. It expands on both Black and White separately instead of trying to combine them both into one. It breaks tradition, yes, but isn't that a good thing? Sure, it'd feel homely, but I like seeing GameFreak going on to try new things, and this is a suitable example! Not to mention it gives heavy spotlight on Kyurem and raises a lot of interesting questions. The main Pokémon titles never disappointed me before, and I doubt it'll happen here as a pair of director's cuts (instead of going for one for each generation).

As for its targeted console, these two games are basically what The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was to the Nintendo Wii. We don't see it in North America, but there are still plenty of games coming on the DS in Japan, but as LoZ was earlier, this is basically the last best games we'll see on the console: it's the freaking farewell game(s) that will close the curtain on the past generation and move on to the next.

I welcome these two titles with open arms as I've done with the previous games. I understand if some aspects of a certain generation aren't to your tastes, but don't feel threatened or insulted because of titles that were announced barely 4 hours ago that are bound to be better than its original versions.

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering you're the first person I've heard that doesn't like it.

I wish I had an award to give you for that well-thought-out argument.

I'm sorry I'm not a member of the BW Defense Force but it gets to be pretty grating when people always seem to jump on anyone who didn't think Black and White were the saviors of the franchise.

Regardless of whether BW were steaming heaps of shit or not, it's still early for passing judgement on BW 2. But that certainly doesn't make it a crime to not be excited, and I'm not.

While we're debating on this, could this be the reason why they spent a year and a half on making the plot for black and white?

If not, forget what I have spoken here.

Edited by Jetronic

Did the creators of Yugioh give Gamefreak a fusion card, or something.

Nah, Kyurem and Reshiram/Zekrom learned the Fusion Dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFr92zHO2dQ

It can only be used in 2v2 battles, if both Pokemon use the move on the same turn, they fuse together creating one of the two abominations seen today.

Anyways, I loved Black & White, but an actual sequel is kind of odd I think. I'm still going to play the shit out of it just like any other Pokemon game though.

>Get home 20 minutes ago

>"Well I guess Gray version was announced while I was gone. Better check it out"

>Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2

tumblr_lusc8kgg9F1qzmowao1_400.gif

So does this mean we'll have Gray version and then Gray 2? lololololol

But in all seriousness, this was not what I was expecting and that actually excites me. I'm glad Game Freak is mixing things up a bit and I look forward to what this change will entail.

Edited by Ichigo Storm
  • Thumbs Up 3

did black and white sell that well and were indeed fan favorites to warrant a "sequel." I am personally upset by this announcement seeing how Hoenn needs more love

Black and White are the best selling Pokemon games to date.

Well, whatever the hell happens, I usually wind up getting the next Pokemon anyways, and then at least liking it to some degree, so I'm pretty optimistic. Having gotten really nothing anything yet, it could be awesome as cheese, <3.

I don't see why some people are disappointed about the existence of Black Version 2 and White Version 2.

Personally I'm disappointed because it kills any and all hope I have of Game Freak dropping their 'Keep making more of the same' design philosophy any time in the near future for the main series, but that's a different matter entirely.

So they chose for it to be on the Nintendo DS at base instead of moving on to the Nintendo 3DS. So what? How is this wrong in any way at all?

Pokemon is one of the best selling video game franchises of all time. It's getting there, but technically speaking, the 3DS has been out less than a year still. People eat up Pokemon, so why not push sales of the 3DS even further by putting it on their newest piece of hardware?

It also allows them to make a bigger and better game by utilizing more powerful hardware. It makes sense to me.

Who the hell cares?
*looks around*

..Plenty of people I think.

Edited by Chooch

Are people seriously complaining about Gamefreak being lazy, when we've been buying their games ever since Gold and Silver were announced, so why is it now that they're lazy?

Pokemon is one of the best selling video game franchises of all time. It's getting there, but technically speaking, the 3DS has been out less than a year still. People eat up Pokemon, so why not push sales of the 3DS even further by putting it on their newest piece of hardware?

Personally, for the consumer, I think putting it on the DS was a smart move. Anyone with a DS (maybe even GBA) version of Pokemon will most likely want to transfer pokemon to the newer title AKA BW2. Is it possible to make a 3DS cart communicate with a DS cart? I would imagine so, but honestly not everyone who plays pokemon has a 3DS atm, so I don't see the big deal.

Yea, Pokemon on the 3DS would be a big selling point for the 3DS on Nintendo's part, but it doesn't hurt either way with this particular title to have it on one or the other.

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, the very existance of the Gen 5 games on the DS when the 3DS was on the horizon at the time has been seen as odd by many people, myself included. This game, moreso. I mean, they could've just as easily made Black and White as 3DS-exclusive games, with full 3D visuals, with the same gameplay mechanics, utilizing the models from the 3D Pokedex and the console titles.

Then it hits me like a brick. Gen 5 was never meant to be for the 3DS. It's a stop-gap while Game Freak works on Gen 6, which is the real 3DS-exclusive series of titles.

Game Freak would clearly know that in order to make that transition to 3D, things have to change. They managed to get away with incremental updates as long as they retained 2D visuals. Sure, the turn-based battles are fun, but fans and critics have been calling out 'more of the same' for years. I think Game Freak would like to work on something new, themselves. But at the same time, they wouldn't want to screw up and end up with a bad game. Sales would plummet.

So, here's what I think. They're working on Gen 5 and Gen 6 at the same time, taking advantage of their experience with the DS hardware and the fact that making DS games is easier, and that they already have a base engine to work off. Gen 6, on the other hand, may in fact be a complete overhaul of the game mechanics, possibly even a real-time battle system that fans have been clamoring for years.

It's obvious that a fully-3D Pokemon game would take time to make, one with a real-time battle system, moreso (especially animations for the Pokemon, moving around, jumping, various attacks in various states, etc). I can only imagine that the devs are taking their time, trying to make the transition to fully-3D environments as fun as possible, while also accessible for all gamers. Meanwhile, they can make the Gen 6 games, based around the D&P engine, as one last hurrah to the old system they've been working with for years, while also experimenting with changing some mechanics and the storyline. They add a sequel hook in the first two titles, and then make a 'sequel' within the same gen, to allow themselves more time to work on the next generation, because they know Pokemon sells like hotcakes.

That's my theory, anyway, and really, when I think of it in that way, Black and White 2 on the DS makes perfect sense.

Edit: Fuck, I used the wrong gen numbers. WHOOPS.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

YES!!! I hope this is sequel and that it brings some new story elements (where is Gethis,Shadow Triad etc.). About this that it's not on 3DS. Well Gen 6 will be for 3DS and 5 is still for DS. ENGAGE HYPE!!!!

Honestly, the very existance of the Gen 5 games on the DS when the 3DS was on the horizon at the time has been seen as odd by many people, myself included. This game, moreso. I mean, they could've just as easily made Black and White as 3DS-exclusive games, with full 3D visuals, with the same gameplay mechanics, utilizing the models from the 3D Pokedex and the console titles.

Then it hits me like a brick. Gen 5 was never meant to be for the 3DS. It's a stop-gap while Game Freak works on Gen 6, which is the real 3DS-exclusive series of titles.

Game Freak would clearly know that in order to make that transition to 3D, things have to change. They managed to get away with incremental updates as long as they retained 2D visuals. Sure, the turn-based battles are fun, but fans and critics have been calling out 'more of the same' for years. I think Game Freak would like to work on something new, themselves. But at the same time, they wouldn't want to screw up and end up with a bad game. Sales would plummet.

So, here's what I think. They're working on Gen 5 and Gen 6 at the same time, taking advantage of their experience with the DS hardware and the fact that making DS games is easier, and that they already have a base engine to work off. Gen 6, on the other hand, may in fact be a complete overhaul of the game mechanics, possibly even a real-time battle system that fans have been clamoring for years.

It's obvious that a fully-3D Pokemon game would take time to make, one with a real-time battle system, moreso (especially animations for the Pokemon, moving around, jumping, various attacks in various states, etc). I can only imagine that the devs are taking their time, trying to make the transition to fully-3D environments as fun as possible, while also accessible for all gamers. Meanwhile, they can make the Gen 6 games, based around the D&P engine, as one last hurrah to the old system they've been working with for years, while also experimenting with changing some mechanics and the storyline. They add a sequel hook in the first two titles, and then make a 'sequel' within the same gen, to allow themselves more time to work on the next generation, because they know Pokemon sells like hotcakes.

That's my theory, anyway, and really, when I think of it in that way, Black and White 2 on the DS makes perfect sense.

I always just thought that since the 3DS was barely new when Black & White came out, it would've made no sense for them to release a game at that point, especially since HG/SS had just come out a year prior, and the fact that they had no idea how much the 3DS would sell. Adding to that, making a third version that's technically apart of the same generation on a completely different hardware would make no sense from a designer standpoint. So these games being on the DS makes perfect sense. Plus we're getting 3DS features regardless.

I really loved most of Black and White's enhancements, from the more dynamic battles to the story, but what nearly killed the game for me was Unova. The layout was so uninteresting and straightforward next to the likes of Johto, Hoenn and especially Sinnoh. Virtually every city has a gym leader and a part in the storyline, so the pacing was really flat and it didn't leave much for replay value. I seriously hope BW2 has a more interesting region.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well what do you know?

The first time I actually intended to buy the third version since Yellow came out, and they don't make one. But hey, this is potentially better than a third version ( if it's as good as the original Black and White that is )

At this point, I just really want to know more details about it before I say more. I mean... Numbered Sequels? Why? How is it different from Gold/Silver which were sequels of Red/Blue?

I don't mind this being on the DS, but I won't lie, I really wish they would have gone with the 3DS. Maybe they are saving it for the remakes, or the next non-sequel gen.

Funny you say that because I always said to myself and my gf that the Pokedex 3D is just a means for Nintendo to make full 3D models of pokemon to later slap into a future Pokemon game while giving us something in the "middle." XD