Awoo.

Disney's "Frozen"

Match

I think the women could had been animated a little more but other than that, ehh...it looks like it's an interesting storyline I'd watch.

I gotta say, I really do not like how they made the girls or their poor excuse as to why they looked like that which is "woman are hard to design". You've probably caught that whole problem within the community (especially on tumblr), so I won't go into it. I guess if you wanted to see only part of that point, here is an article.

I think the women could had been animated a little more but other than that, ehh...it looks like it's an interesting storyline I'd watch.

I gotta say, I really do not like how they made the girls or their poor excuse as to why they looked like that which is "woman are hard to design". You've probably caught that whole problem within the community (especially on tumblr), so I won't go into it. I guess if you wanted to see only part of that point, here is an article.

I think a lot of people jumped the gun with that quote. The animator seemed to be talking about a difficulty of animating women with standard Disney "pretty" faces with varied facial expressions, because if done improperly it could end up veering off into the uncanny valley. That and the difficulty of doing all of this while at the same time coming up with different facial expressions for the rigs of the two sisters, as they look more or less identical in facial design, especially when both characters are experiencing the same emotions at the same time.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

Indeed, what I took from that quote was that traditional Disney women are hard to animate properly in a technical sense and, speaking as someone who was given a feminine-focused animation assignment, I personally found this out the hard way. Traditional Disney women are relatively reserved in terms of action compared to their male counterparts. Walk cycles are different, takes are different, physical movements have to be much slower and graceful than you realize, and after being hammered with the exaggerated principles of the art, it's hard to reign it in. And that's only in 2D; I don't particularly envy anyone who must animate a typical Disney princess in 3D, because CGI in general requires significantly many more subtleties to keep it alive that would look like mistakes in a traditional medium (continuous body movement and eye darts being one). You can certainly animate a woman like any other cartoon, but if I had an assignment from Disney like the Queen from Snow White, I'd shoot myself. There's certainly a feminist conversation to be had over this film and Disney's treatment of women, especially with the way that Tumblr post has framed it, but I'm not sure it's in good taste to go after the animator about it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think a lot of people jumped the gun with that quote. The animator seemed to be talking about a difficulty of animating women with standard Disney "pretty" faces with varied facial expressions, because if done improperly it could end up veering off into the uncanny valley. That and the difficulty of doing all of this while at the same time coming up with different facial expressions for the rigs of the two sisters, as they look more or less identical in facial design, especially when both characters are experiencing the same emotions at the same time.

Aye, which is why I didn't want to go into it too much. I just can't say I like the way the girls look as they feel way too familiar and others do too, but bringing up the argument that they're all the same.

I will watch the film and not stare at the animation and judge it like others, I just still feel a little unsure about it at the same time for feeling 'samesy'.

So what? Disney princesses have always looked similar. If the artists are the same of course there's gonna be similarities. One good example is how Mark Henn was the lead animator for most 2D princesses. You can notice that certain facial features look the same.

Ehhh... I wouldn't say the Disney Princesses looked this similar, at least in their respective films. Snow White looks really different from Cinderella who looks really different from Aurora. Even Ariel and Belle have subtle differences in facial structure-- not to mention species-- that makes them look distinct. And let's not talk about the minority princesses like Jasmine, Mulan, Pocahontas, and Tiana. And then there's Merida.

But whereas Rapunzel was a fresh take on translating Glen Keane's style of design into 3D, Anna and Elsa look pretty freaking similar to her to draw immediate parallels. It's one of the elephants in the room.

But whereas Rapunzel was a fresh take on translating Glen Keane's style of design into 3D, Anna and Elsa look pretty freaking similar to her to draw immediate parallels. It's one of the elephants in the room.

At the top of the linked article was this .gif:

frozen-tangleddisney.gif

You can say "so what?", and I say, "just because".

I dunno, I'd say Disney princesses while similar usually look fairly unique for the modern era. You can easily distinguish Ariel from Jasmine (skin tone aside). And many of the others are fairly unique too (outside the original three).

While Frozen is looking good, the princess character really doesn't look too different from Rapunzel aside from the more subtle ones.

edit: ninja'd

Edited by VisionaryBlur

I just now looked into this film, and I must say that I'm pretty excited. I love that they're actually focusing on the bond between sisters. Elsa is sympathetic, from what we've seen so far. The quote that Felix posted earlier, along with the three positive reviews get me really excited. If I'm able to, you can bet I'll be seeing this.

Heyyyy, here's a fun fact. I know you all love fun facts.

This movie's set to come out on November 27th. Guess what came out eleven years ago on that exact date?

p_897.jpg

YUUUUUUUUUP.

Edited by Felix

Heyyyy, here's a fun fact. I know you all love fun facts.

This movie's set to come out on November 27th. Guess what came out eleven years ago on that exact date?

p_897.jpg

YUUUUUUUUUP.

The least we can do is hope this film is actually a success at the box office unlike Treasure Planet. Speaking of which, how much has Disney been promoting this film by the way?

The least we can do is hope this film is actually a success at the box office unlike Treasure Planet. Speaking of which, how much has Disney been promoting this film by the way?

Not that much, if we're being honest. A majority of the small amount of promotion the film's gotten has been rather awful (save for like, one great trailer). The fact that The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is set to be released a week before Frozen, on November 22nd, which has gotten loads of advertising and hype over the past year doesn't help matters. It probably won't suffer from being released in an overcrowded market like poor Treasure Planet was back in November 2002, but Frozen is gonna face some serious competition with Catching Fire.

Edited by Felix

Yeah, releasing their movies during the holiday season has always been a double-edged sword for Disney. And Frozen's shitty marketing isn't helping things either.

But regardless, I'm still excited for this, if only for Elsa being one of Disney's fewer sympathetic antagonists and how her relationship with Anna will be handled.

Edited by Undead DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 2

*Currently listening as I type this*

Already better than the overly pop-induced "Where Will My Life Begin?" from Tangled since both are pretty similar in tone and message.

Also like it's a duet between Anna and Elsa. Their hopes and eagerness to make a good time for their subjects is conveyed harmonically within this one song. Even though all of that really makes it obvious things won't go well at all in the end story-wise.

Edited by DarkLight

One of the songs for the film, "For The First Time in Forever" got leaked.

I haven't listened to it myself as I'm trying to be as spoiler-free as possible when I see the movie on release day, but for those who want to bother listening to it, here you go.

Damn, now 

THIS reminds of the classic Disney I know and love. I'm now more hyped for this film than ever now.

EDIT:

Demi Lovato recently released a music video for her version of "Let It Go"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHue-HaXXzg

Edited by Johnny the Death Bringer

The Schmoes review of it:

I love how everybody hates Olaf and yet everybody who has seen the movie says he's one of the movie's strongest points tongue.png

So, he's basically Frozen's equivalent of Ray? A comic relief sidekick whose better than what the trailers entailed? Somehow I thought that could happen.

Edited by DarkLight

So, he's basically Frozen's equivalent of Ray? A comic relief sidekick that has a better role to play than what the trailers entailed? Somehow I thought that could happen.

Personally i already find him funny:

• Thumbs Up 5

So I listened to yet another song from this movie yesterday called Let It Go (the in-movie version, not the Demi Levato one). It was rather short but sweet character theme for Elsa.

It just perfectly captures her plight and tragic downfall as a perfect ruler that she was pampered up to be as well as her growing acceptance of her powers and what she can do with them without restraint. I'm willing to guess she sings it after exiling herself because of this.

Elsa is really shaping up to be one of my favorite Disney antagonists now.

Edited by DarkLight

So I listened to yet another song from this movie yesterday called Let It Go (the in-movie version, not the Demi Levato one).

Where did you find it?

Hmm, i have a feeling this is one of those I have to hear in context to truly love, It's nice but I'm not feeling it.

Well, it's kind of a condensed version I suppose. There are supposed to be more lyrics but videos that have the full version have been rare to find.

But yeah, just listening to the song without any sort of context kind of just keeps it as nice song for now.

Still betting that it plays when she's banished and starts creating her own icy kingdom. That way the visuals will add to the 'emotional weight' of the song itself.

Edited by DarkLight