Awoo.

Disney's "Frozen"

Match

That Snowman......I want to punch it and set it on fire.......it angers me...angry.png

This is why I'm hoping they don't push Olaf too hard in the marketing.

This is why I'm hoping they don't push Olaf too hard in the marketing.

Yeah...don't think there's much chance of that happening......

I'm waiting for the thing that's gonna make me excited for this movie....but it just isn't coming. I hope it turns out to be another Tangled like others have said but....yeah, not seeing it yet...

Here's that long awaited trailer, which is... pretty cut terribly. Also, Mr. Snowman really should've remained a silent character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jw-AeaU5WI

This was one massively unimpressive trailer.

Well Tangled's marketing was similar to this and it ended up being an excellent film. So you never know.

This is true, though one would wish they'd learn from the bad marketing of that film to not repeat their mistakes. Once again I think word of mouth is the only thing that might get me to see the movie in theaters.

And I really don't like the snowman character, it's like their trying to create a supporting character like Doug or Maximus, but weren't all to clear on what made those two such fun.

This is true, though one would wish they'd learn from the bad marketing of that film to not repeat their mistakes. Once again I think word of mouth is the only thing that might get me to see the movie in theaters.

Bad marketing? Mistakes? Well those mistakes made the movie earn almost 600 million dollars worldwide, so i'm pretty sure they don't see it that way.

Like i said before: The marketing team is just repeating their winning formula. Princesses don't sell anymore.

Not to mention Jennifer Lee, the writer of Wreck-It-Ralph, is writing and directing Frozen, so I'm sure it's gonna be awesome.

Seriously, i thought people learned their lesson by this point: Disney hasn't marketed a movie as we want them to since PatF because that movie underperformed.

As Nepenthe said, they're again hiding the fact that it's a musical. Also, going by Tangled's marketing, how much do you bet half of the footage in that trailer isn't in it?

Here's another example from the trailer for Shyamalan's "The Village":

Looks like a typical horror/monster movie right? Well turns out it's a movie lecturing you on the war on terror, it's painfully slow, and there's no actual monsters.

The reason the marketing team did this is because obviously this is not the kind of movie that attracts the masses, so they made it look like this.

Point being: Never judge a movie by its marketing as Hollywood marketing is bullshit

Edited by Noctis Caelum
  • Thumbs Up 7

Seen the trailer, looks interesting..of course, I'm not going to pass any judgement on the movie until I've actually seen it for myself.  that's my policy for pretty much any movie that has my interests, so as of this moment I don't have all that much of an opinion for it. I'll come back with one after I've done so.

oh, and I agree, Noctis. Hollywood marketing = bullshit. their advertisements are so over the top it's almost laughable.

Edited by Death the Kid

• 3 weeks later...

I think we can all now agree that the movie is now looking interesting, and the previous trailer was simply suffering the bad trailer curse

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, but this just looks like a spoof of a family film... I'm trying to be optimistic, but the marketing is just not in this poor films favor... I'll wait till I see it before I make any final opinion, but I'm just not hyped for this...

http://youtu.be/fVpBCyprbH0

New trailer out, and I must say, it's pretty great! I think I'm actually now excited to see this movie.

Okay, I'm a sucker for a good Walt Disney musical number.

This looks really cool honestly. Definitely going to see it. I don't know about the best since the Lion King, but shit, at least it looks like a *movie* and not a commercial for Olaf toys now.

This looks really cool honestly.

OH I GET IT, BECAUSE--

But seriously, I'm in agreement that the film has been shown in a better light, although my initial feelings haven't changed. I figured they were going to go all-out on Elsa's character for instance, nor do I think Olaf is going to be so bad. Granted, I don't find him obnoxious now. Holding out hope though that the fireplace scene is going to be a little heart-wrenching a la Ray from Princess and the Frog.

OH I GET IT, BECAUSE--

But seriously, I'm in agreement that the film has been shown in a better light, although my initial feelings haven't changed. I figured they were going to go all-out on Elsa's character for instance, nor do I think Olaf is going to be so bad. Granted, I don't find him obnoxious now. Holding out hope though that the fireplace scene is going to be a little heart-wrenching a la Ray from Princess and the Frog.

No lie, I didn't even notice I did that. Goodness.

Besides the accidental pun, I got similar Ray vibes from the "melting" scene but this movie doesn't look nearly ballsy enough to pull that off. I want to be wrong so badly, though.

Trailer held my interest until it compared the movie to The Lion King.

Disney's marketing is utter shit but that shouldn't come as any surprise. I might see this in theaters because Elsa looks like a genuinely sympathetic antagonist.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 3 weeks later...

Review of Frozen by the Den of Geek is out, they gave it 5/5 stars.

This quote from the review gives me a lot of promise as well:

"The biggest compliment I can thus give Frozen is this: somebody watching it is going to feel the same way about Disney’s latest that I felt over 20 years ago when I first saw Beauty And The Beast. At its peak, Frozen is Walt Disney Animation Studios firing with everything, demonstrating why it’s emerged in recent years as the most interesting mainstream producers of feature animation (with terrific features such as Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled, The Princess And The Frog and Winnie The Pooh). And this is very much a Disney film, the kind you feel nobody else could make."
  • Thumbs Up 1

Three more reviews from Variety, Digital Spy, and The Wrap (respectively), and all three are also positive. Digital Spy in particular also gave it five stars, saying "it has the feelings of an instant classic" and The Wrap says it's the company's best animated musical since Beauty and the Beast. Scott Foundas for Variety does complain about the film feeling formulaic but highlights the animation and Olaf (lol) as the film's strong(er) points. /nottryingtosoundlikeaWikiarticle

So it seems it will be another Tangled situation, I guess. Wasn't feeling too interested at first but I may give this a look nonetheless should the strongly positive reviews keep coming.

EDIT: All three reviews count towards RT.  So that's three positive reviews so far.

Edited by Glad Tidings Gabriel
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sounds promising to hear after 2013 has kind of been a bad year for animated films so far. 

Will definitely watch this when it comes out over here.

Not that i trust critics, but i freakin told you so! How many more great movies does Disney Animation have to make before people realize that they're back?

Not that i trust critics, but i freakin told you so! How many more great movies does Disney Animation have to make before people realize that they're back?

Maybe it's the way they've been marketing their films lately? Of course this always leads their movies on the path to success so I'm not complaining. I want them to do well.

this is my opinion but this movie is Disney's Tangled with recolored art to make it look wintery. 

That'll go over well.

Any reasons as to why, besides them both being CG Disney flicks that are marketed terribly, comrade?

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

this is my opinion but this movie is Disney's Tangled with recolored art to make it look wintery. 

You're going to have to put at least a few more sentences worth of description in that.  Stating your opinion without explaining why or how or whatever else might be necessary won't fly here.

• Thumbs Up 9