Awoo.

Disney's "Frozen"

Match

The renders are terrible and people are glad that Disney called those out for being fan-made, at least on tumblr they are.

I must say, I've never really been looking forward to this film anyway, it just seems a bit like they've still taken it out of a storybook when they said they wouldn't anymore. Maybe some Disney magic will spring up soon.

yayyyy my topic is back

In regards to the renders, they are fan-made, but I honestly never had a problem with them. Anna looks so "HEEHEE" that it's adorable. I mean Elsa looks like a good guy instead of THE MIGHTY SNOW QUEEN but yeah

I've lost interest in this project when I heard it was going to be in 2D, which I found to be rather disappointing. Doesn't help that we recently got a CGI Disney film from WDAS (Wreck-It Ralph).

I've lost interest in this project when I heard it was going to be in 2D, which I found to be rather disappointing. Doesn't help that we recently got a CGI Disney film from WDAS (Wreck-It Ralph).

Wait...how is it disappointing when Disney said they'll do a 3D film, then a 2D film, then 3D again etc etc.

It's gone like this so far since they made that announcement:

The Princess and the Frog (2D) (when announcement was made)

Tangled (3D) (announcement on no more fairy tale films)

Winnie The Pooh (2D)

Wreck-It Ralph (3D)

Frozen (2D)

Geddit now?

Wait...how is it disappointing when Disney said they'll do a 3D film, then a 2D film, then 3D again etc etc.

It's gone like this so far since they made that announcement:

The Princess and the Frog (2D) (when announcement was made)

Tangled (3D) (announcement on no more fairy tale films)

Winnie The Pooh (2D)

Wreck-It Ralph (3D)

Frozen (2D)

Geddit now?

It's been confirmed Frozen will be in 3d.

It's been confirmed Frozen will be in 3d.

It was also confirmed it'd be 2D, which is just bizarre.

Unless they're talking about the Paperman illusionary animation where it's 2D-style animated 3D?

Who cares if it's CGI or hand drawn animation, as long as the stories of their films keep being awesome like they've been in recent years I'm fine. The hand drawn animation department is still in work, since Ron Clements and John Musker(Princess and the Frog) have confirmed last year that they were working on a new movie. I too went through the "Hand drawn animation or get out" phase in the mid 2000s, but Pixar movies and recent Disney CGI movies prove that story is where the magic comes from. Not to mention Disney and Pixar's CGI has reached a level where it looks incredibly beautiful. Just look at Brave.

Also, "Frozen" was co-written and co-directed by Jennifer Lee, who also co-wrote Wreck-It Ralph, so that definitely makes me hypedbiggrin.png

Edited by pppp

The traditional department's still working but it's not thriving, not with profits still being higher for CGI films, not with projects' mediums being switched, and not with the old guard at Disney switching over or leaving without being adequately replaced with people who are just as strong or potentially strong at the craft. At best, they're asking for people who are strong at both, and I have no clue about who's gonna be our new Glen Keane. And of course, this speaks nothing about how other studios aren't even pursuing the medium much, if at all. There's a desire for traditional films still out there; after all, The Vault still does well enough all of these years later. This desire doesn't necessitate people disliking CGI films so much as it speaks volumes about the lovability of the old fashioned drawings coming to life. I can understand why anyone would be disappointed with the way Frozen has gone.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 months later...
A trailer for is going to show up in 5 days.   Oh, this should be intresting, I can't wait to finally see some footage.
Ah, holy shit, actual news from the Frozen front. I'm looking forward to the trailer, but they're really gonna have to pull off something great to impress me at this point. From what I've been hearing, the film has little to do with the original story (which is great by the way), completely eliminating the character Kay altogether.
  • Thumbs Up 1

My animation teachers have basically been dropping hints that it's probably going to have a style and look similar to Paperman more than Tangled- the whole hybrid shtick. I'm crossing my fingers that their insight proves accurate again, because it'll look great if that's the case (and give me more relief at the idea that traditional animators still have futures in the motion picture industry).

• Thumbs Up 8

I would love to see a full move in a hybrid traditional/CGI style again to Paperman. If Frozen is like that, I might be interested in it.

So much for paperman visuals then....

I don't like those character designs, not one bit.

^Wasn't it always known that it wasn't going to be like Paperman's animation?

Anyway, can't really say much since it is only the teaser trailer, but at least we know who our funny sidekicks will be.

First Look Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WdC4DaYIeQ

It's reminding me of the Ice Age movies wacko.png I don't really know how this is going to turn out. It seems...well...different than any other Disney movie. I guess we'll see.

It's reminding me of the Ice Age movies wacko.png I don't really know how this is going to turn out. It seems...well...different than any other Disney movie. I guess we'll see.

Well Tangled's marketing was comedy oriented, and it turned out to be one of Disney's most well received films.

^ Oh God I remember that. Those trailers were HORRIBLE, but they actually made the movie a success!

Hmm, I know this is just a teaser trailer but I'm not sure I'm going to like the sidekicks much. =[ Come on, an elk acting like a dog? He's got nothing on Maximus from Tangled.

I just want to see a proper trailer with the main characters, maybe hear some songs...

I thought the staging and comedy of that bit was great! And the little twist of the elk being a dog was adorable. :3

It's not styled like Paperman in so much as it has that cel-shaded look, but this looks even more on the vain of Renaissance style animation than even Tangled did, especially on the Snowman. I can't tell at all if it's just their rigging system alone or if they're using that tech alongside it; I'll try pestering my teachers about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, saw that trailer on /co/ the other night, meant to post it. Basically, I have to echo what's been said about the marketing for Tangled. The snowman (nicknamed "Jar Jar Brisk" by his haters) is hopefully going to be a smaller role in the actual film.

I can't believe I'm the only one who likes the snowman. ;~; His animation is awesome, he doesn't talk much, he's sweet and has ingenious ways about moving around. He's adorable!

• Thumbs Up 4

I can't believe I'm the only one who likes the snowman. ;~; His animation is awesome, he doesn't talk much, he's sweet and has ingenious ways about moving around. He's adorable!

Well for once, we agree on something Nepenthe. Personally i thought this teaser was very funny. Also, for those that don't like it, we already know this schtick about Disney's marketing. What we see in the trailers will not reflect what the movie actually is. Also Gabz, let me tell you right now: Don't expect any songs in trailers. Musicals are considered lame by the kids of today, so no showing it.

I don't think musicals will ever go out of style with children. Such a viewpoint wouldn't explain Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Winnie The Pooh being musicals, nor the success of the Vault and theatrical rereleases, or any other numerous musical DTVs out there, even in franchises that weren't originally musicals (Scooby Doo... Ugh). Cartoon characters singing and dancing will always grab the young ones' attention. But I imagine their decrease in prominence in Disney canon is almost due entirely to Pixar. They're the traditional theater to Disney's Broadway, and with their success did higher-ups start making easy correlations, similar to how traditional animation is on a similar decline as a theatrical medium. It's not that it's suddenly unappealing anymore so much as companies are going to make the most money they can in the easiest way they know how.