Awoo.

Disney's "Frozen"

Match

Rescuers Down Under and Winnie the Pooh would like a word.

I said there were a few exceptions, though Winnie the Pooh I wouldn't consider sequels because all that continues is the characters moreso than the story

MY issue with this is that doesn't Disney Animated Studios with a few special exceptions(Beauty and the Beast Christmas, and the Fantasia series) Not do sequels themselves? I mean there were uncanon ones done by secondary studios, but DAS doesn't do sequels and thats one of their strengths?

(Also Wreck-it-Raplh deserved one first :P)

The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, and Winnie the Pooh were indeed all sequels done by WDAS. Despite their good critical reception, all three absolutely tanked at the box office. Hell, Down Under performing so poorly when it was released back in 1990 was why Disney made all sequels go direct-to-video for years. 

The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, and Winnie the Pooh were indeed all sequels done by WDAS. Despite their good critical reception, all three absolutely tanked at the box office. Hell, Down Under performing so poorly when it was released back in 1990 was why Disney made all sequels go direct-to-video for years.

Oh. Well, this is one of those exceptions. Simple as.

Heck not only does Wreck-It Ralph deserve a sequel more than Frozen, it deserves a world spot in world in Kingdom Hearts 3 than Frozen!

I should say it isn't surprising, but it sorta is to me. I'm kinda used to Disney's movies being one shot journeys outside of direct to home video sequel that a full theatrical second film is a little jarring. Thought they'd just move on and keep making new Princesse.

Welp. Get used to seeing little girls in Elsa outfits for the next decade

Damn it Disney the original stood well enough on it's own! Why couldn't you announce a sequel to Wreck It Ralph or Big Hero 6? Ugh, well all I know is that they're gonna have to work really hard to wow me for this sequel, especially considering the piss poor record Disney has with sequels to begin with.

Now that I think of it, how likely is it that people will no see it on principle of being sick of Frozen by the time it comes out? And if that happens, how would it impact on the film's popularity as a whole?

Damn it Disney the original stood well enough on it's own! Why couldn't you announce a sequel to Wreck It Ralph or Big Hero 6? Ugh, well all I know is that they're gonna have to work really hard to wow me for this sequel, especially considering the piss poor record Disney has with sequels to begin with.

As I said earlier before, all of those shitty direct-to-video sequels were the doing of DisneyToon Studios, ergo, a smaller company with B-rate animators and writers and not Walt Disney Animation Studios. The only three sequels WDAS did lived up to their predecessors just fine, but even then I'm not excited for Frozen 2.

Well actually I believe they are already working on a sequel to Wreck-It Ralph. I believe this was confirmed years ago.

There are some great films out there that do not need sequels. Frozen is one of these films IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the least I can hope for this movie is that it will have a much better villain than Hans, seriously that guy had to be Disneys lamest villain since Alameda Slim. That and I am praying they keep Elsa single and not pander to shippers *cough*Helsa*cough*.

I'm fairly certain they did announce a Wreck-It Ralph sequel. Can we not conveniently forget things just cause we're upset?

Well the least I can hope for this movie is that it will have a much better villain than Hans, seriously that guy had to be Disneys lamest villain since Alameda Slim. That and I am praying they keep Elsa single and not pander to shippers *cough*Helsa*cough*.

Ha it isn't the Helsa fans you have to worry about, it's the Jelsa fans. Just hope Disney don't try to make their own "Not-Jack Frost" character in an attempt to satisfy them.

Oh God my worst fear is that the sequel will give Elsa a boyfriend like Hunchback of Notre Dame 2 where Quasi gets a girlfriend! NOOOOO

I'm seriously worried about how this sequel is gonna turn out. They really have to convince me to go see it in the cinema because right now, I don't think I want to. 8(

I'm fairly certain they did announce a Wreck-It Ralph sequel. Can we not conveniently forget things just cause we're upset?

Hmm...I don't think it has been confirmed 100% by Disney though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'm just gonna copy and paste my full thoughts on this from my tumblr:

Well if there’s anything that the Walt Disney Company proved today, is that they are definitely not ready to “Let It Go” just yet. Just a couple of hours ago, the legendary animation studio has announced that there will indeed be a sequel to their smash hit “Frozen”.
Now let me tell you, Frozen is one of my favorite Disney films of all time, top five easily. With that said, you would think that I would be pretty excited about this news, but honestly I’m not. As a matter fact, I’m REALLY worried about this. Why you ask? Because I really felt like Frozen was strong enough to stand on it’s own. Not only that but ever since the film was released, Disney has really bombarded us with news of upcoming frozen themed attractions at the disney parks, a broadway adaptation, a short film, and of course, tons upon tons of merchandise. So with the announcement of a sequel I feel like they’re now over saturating the movie. Not only that but I also fear they’re going to shove their most recent hit Big Hero 6 to the wayside like they did with Wreck It Ralph, and honestly those films deserve a sequel more than Frozen does because there’s a whole lot of untapped potential for their worlds!
But at the same time I’m willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. Because while the infamous Disney sequels were pieces of shit, they were made by an entirely different studio (DisneyToon studios to be precise). Meanwhile the sequels that were made by the main studio ended up being just as great, if not better than the originals (ex: Fantasia 2000, Rescuers Down Under). So with the news of Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee coming back for round two, this does give me a bit of hope.
And speaking of hope, here is what I personally want the return to Arrendelle to have:
1. Have the story centered around Elsa
Now while the conflict of the original film was centered around Elsa accidentally causing a second Ice Age, anyone could tell that the film was centered around Anna as we saw her go on one big quest to rekindle the bond between her and her sister. And with her story arc pretty wrapped up now, the sequel will be a perfect opportunity to develop Elsa some more. Plus this would also be a good chance to explain how Elsa got her powers in the first place.
2. More Action
Assuming this movie is centered more around Elsa, I’d really love it if we could see her get a bit more offensive with her powers this time around. Because while we did get to see her set off an eternal winter, build an ice castle, create a killer snowman and throw down with the Duke of Wesselton’s guards, we never really got to see what she’s capable of when the chips are down. With that said, I’d really like to see Elsa get more creative with with magic her in the sequel. Maybe she could create a wide assortment of snow monsters, make an armor made completely out of ice, create a giant ice sword? The possibilities are endless! But of course in order for any of this to happen the movie will have to present us….
3. An Awesome Villain
There’s an old saying that goes “A hero is only as great as the adversary he/she fights”. Therefore, for Anna and Elsa’s second cinematic outing, Disney is really going to have the raise the stakes by introducing a bad guy that will cause more chaos and carnage to the sisters lives than Hans could ever dream of dishing out. Preferably, I’d like it if the antagonist for this film will be armed with magic so that Elsa can meet her match. Because while Hans was more of a psychological threat, the new villain is going to have to be both this and somebody who can seriously throw down. And for the love of god Disney, don’t let this new rogue be another “twist villain”. You guys have already done that three times in a row and plus doing this kind of thing twice in the same series is gonna look bad on you. Just have the new bad guy be a recognizable threat from beginning to end just like the great Disney villains of old.
4. Keep. Elsa. SINGLE!!!!!!
No I don’t fucking care if I get flamed by shippers for this because I’m about to be brutally honest. For the sequel, I don’t prefer for Elsa to remain in the sequel, I WANT her to stay single. Elsa is one of the few Disney heroines that does not have a love interest and damn it I want it to stay that way. Not every person needs to be in a relationship to be happy. And not everybody needs romantic love to feel loved, feel wanted, or have a sense of belonging. Elsa already seems content with the love she has from her sister, her snowman, and her (soon to be) brother in law along with his reindeer and she definitely didn’t need a husband to be qualified to rule as queen. Not only that but I’ve seen way to many animated films that were made for the sole purpose of giving a previously celibate hero a love interest (Ice Age 2 and Hunchback of Notredame 2 being shining examples). The last thing I want is for Frozen to fall into this old tired cliche.
And besides wasn’t the moral of Frozen about how romantic love isn’t always needed to save the day? With that said, Elsa should remain the strong and independent snow queen we have been captivated by since day one.

.tumblr_inline_nl4fjbxev61tohs6y.jpg

Closing Thoughts
While I’m remaining really skeptical about this upcoming sequel, I can say that I trust Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, and the rest of the staff at Walt Disney Animation Studios to do everybody’s favorite sisters justice on their second theatrical outing. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to avoid the comment sections on various websites for the next couple of years.
Dragon Lord out.

• Thumbs Up 1

New poster for Frozen Fever. Looks like the little snowmen guys are gonna play a big part in the short. Also, Cinderella is out in the US today so if you've seen the movie tell us what the short is like!

frozen-fever-poster-691x1024.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not too upset that Frozen is getting a sequel, despite the ending of the first movie pretty much ending on a rather conclusive note.  I have a little more hope, because I doubt they'll be doing the same lackluster, direct-to-video rehashing that they do with most Disney sequels.  For one, it's being released not too far apart from the original.  With some exceptions, Disney sequels often tend to be released years after the original.  Second, Frozen is still in the prime of its popularity.  However ill-advised, I want to believe Disney will put some genuine effort into being something that's at least satisfying for the fanbase.  With any luck, it will be at least as good as the Alladin sequels, which (while not as good as the original by a long shot) were perfectly enjoyable films in their own rights.  That is, despite the drop in animation quality.

Frozen Fever looks kind of cute, but doesn't look like a must-see.  I'm not going to hurry to see Cinderella for it, in any case.  I hope they'll release it online or as part of a DVD, since I don't plan on going to the movies anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Frozen Fever sounds like the media nick-name of an illness. But that aside... sounds like it might be a fun bit of fluff. I don't see what's so bad about it.

New poster for Frozen Fever. Looks like the little snowmen guys are gonna play a big part in the short. Also, Cinderella is out in the US today so if you've seen the movie tell us what the short is like!

frozen-fever-poster-691x1024.jpg

The short was pretty enjoyable and funny. You also get to see various characters from the original film get involved in all the shenanigans as the sisters walk around the kingdom. Plus the song is very catchy, though it's par the course for the Lopez's.

And btw, there is one scene that had me laughing my ass off, but it's a spoiler so read at your own risk!:

At the end of the song, Elsa blows in a giant bugle horn and as a result sends a giant snow ball flying out of it. When are then treated to a map as we see the snowball traveling from Arrendelle to the Southern Isles. 

And lo and behold, we see Hans shoveling up a huge pile of horse crap, only for the snowball to knock him deep into the pile of crap.

While there's no NEED for a sequel... this is simply how things go in the entertainment industry. It is as much about money as it is art.

My hope is that there will be a good balance of the two here, rather than the direct to video crap that a lot of older movies were plagued with.

You know what? If it's the same creative team as the original, then I'll remain optimistic over this.

Frozen was one of those films that grew on me immensely after the hype died down and I could catch a breather and view the film on its own merits. Just..... please no "ANNA GETZ FIRE POWERZ" or "Elsa shags it up" plots. 

Frozen was such a huge money maker, so it does not surprise me in the slightest there's a sequel in the pipe line. As long as there's a decent amount of effort put into this film, I have faith it won't be as bad as the other lower budget disney sequels. 

There have been animated films with fantastic sequels (Toy Story trilogy, Shrek 2, HTTYD2), so who isn't to say that from the same studio, they may hit another home run, long as they move the characters forward and developed them further.

Looking forward to Frozen Fever as well. If I end up getting dragged along to see Cinderella in Live action, at least I'll get the chance to see what looks to be a fun ride of a short film involving the Frozen cast of characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, I'd thought that Disney would be aware enough of their  sequels reputation that they would make sure that much attention & concern would be given to the films quality. If the sequel is bad, then they'll have to worry about Disney sequels being the films that no-one will see because they're (almost) always bad in most people's minds, so there's a good incentive there to make sure it's good, especially from a film this big.