Awoo.

Disney's "Frozen"

Match

Saw it today and I thought it was really good! Not as great as Wreck it Ralph but still on par with Tangled. Though one thing Frozen does better than Tangled is the score and songs. The songs are WAY better in Frozen! Not just Let it Go (which is fabulooous! <3) but I also liked Do You Wanna Build a Snowman, In Summer and Frozen Heart. The Norwegian choir in the opening and ending of the film was beautiful too, something I haven't heard in a Disney film since the Renaissance. The animation, especially the backgrounds and effects were brilliant also. And omg I really liked Olaf! He was so cute! ^^

I think my only problem with the film is, like most people,

Hans being the villain, which came out of the left field and I think he deserved worse than a quick punch and thrown into a prison cell. Maybe frozen to death by Elsa...

would be a bit dark but this is the same studio who had a Disney villain fucking hanged. XP Other minor problems include

ending was resolved a bit too quickly and the trolls were cute, but pointless.

And not enough Elsa! She's by far the best character in Frozen!

Besides that though twas a very good Disney flick with great music and characters. And Get a Horse? Best animated short I've seen since Paperman. It was genius!

I think my only problem with the film is, like most people,

Hans being the villain, which came out of the left field and I think he deserved worse than a quick punch and thrown into a prison cell. Maybe frozen to death by Elsa...

would be a bit dark but this is the same studio who had a Disney villain fucking hanged. XP Other minor problems include

ending was resolved a bit too quickly and the trolls were cute, but pointless.

And not enough Elsa! She's by far the best character in Frozen!

Uhhh okay, first your first spoiler:

Elsa already nearly killed two guys, I don't think she'd want to be regarded as a monster over killing a desperate pretty boy and proving him right.

And the second one:

The trolls were in as a friendly reference to the original fairytale the film is loosely based on, except they're not evil but peaceful like they are in Scandinavian lore. They are very traditional in design and just a friendly little addition to make the story even more Norwegian, just like the jar of lutefisk screamed 'NORWEGIAN'. I thought it was fairly nice, at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I for one really enjoyed the movie, coming into with the expectation that it would be a Tangled ripoff. I'll admit, there were aspects of the film that I couldn't but help but connect to Tangled (a girl who needs help getting somewhere, some guy who has to help her, the third tag-along being some sort of animal, girl wants to explore the area around her more, etc), but it makes itself unique and does a good job on changing things up here and there.

Music is amazing of course, Disney movies never ever fail in that department to me. You know what I love the most about this movie? Well...

It changes things up. It shows that the true love doesn't always have to be between the classical heroine and tag-along hero, but it can actually be between a family. It was Elsa who saved Ana with the bond between them, not the cliche "True Love's Kiss". It was the love between the two sisters that saved the kingdom. I truly thought it would just be Kristoff saving her with the kiss, bit wasn't and that's what I love the most about this movie.

But yeah, would recommend to everyone on this planet, even if you're not a fan of Disney. It felt like broadway honestly, the whole theatre reacted to the movie, and the music was really well-done (as were the visuals if I might add). I could go on and on about how the movie was great, but I'll just say it was good.

Oh, and I loved the Tangled cameo with Rapunzel and Eugene. :)

The film's taken the top spot of the box office from The Hunger Games: Catching Fire this weekend, with a gross of $31.6 million (also beating Toy Story 2's record of $27.8 million for the highest post-Thanksgiving gross ever). Definitely seems like this movie will have some legs financially, though I sorta fear due to the anticipated competition with next installment in The Hobbit trilogy, The Desolation of Smaug. Otherwise...

woot woot

• Thumbs Up 4

That's great to hear.

For once, ice beats fire. Pokémon logic, you don't apply this time.

Though I get the feeling this will only give Disney the incentive to continue how it'll market it's future 'animated-fairy-tale-musicals-that-happens-to-feature-a-princess' movies.

That's great to hear.

For once, ice beats fire. Pokémon logic, you don't apply this time.

Though I get the feeling this will only give Disney the incentive to continue how it'll market it's future 'animated-fairy-tale-musicals-that-happens-to-feature-a-princess' movies.

Like i said before, they have to market the movies that way to get asses in seats. Remember this trailer?:

It's a great trailer that really appeals to Disney veterans and shows clearly that it's a musical and doesn't focus on the comedy reliefs, just like you guys all want.

....And the result was the movie only making 104 million dollars domestically(Around 250 million worldwide). Considering its budget was of 105 million, this was clearly not that sucessful.

I for one think if marketing wonderful Disney movies like Tangled and Frozen like this makes them sucessful in a world full of morons who don't know what a good movie is to save their lives, then i say fine. It's a price we have to pay.

• Thumbs Up 6

Everybody's saying Let it Go is their favourite part but what really got me was the ending. Them feels ;_;

Can still give it credit for being the only song I actually watched though

That was a lovely movie. I expected Elsa to steal the show without any competition for me, but I ended up loving all of the characters.

Anna was a lot of fun and I really loved her charisma throughout the film. Olaf is a lovable little guy and I wish he had more scenes. Kristoph was the one I didn't expect to particularly care for much, but he got major props for how fun his interactions with Sven were. His actions in the climax really resonated with me as well. He was cool.

I would say I prefer it over Tangled, but it's pretty close. Both are amazing though, so whatever, haha. 

Great stuff, I'd recommend it.

Also (spoiling the songs and basic thoughts, no plot stuff) -

1. Let it Go - God tier. I had that shit on loop when I first heard it. I love this song.

2. Do You Wanna Build a Snowman - okay movie go ahead and break my heart like ten minutes in you do that. Great song.

3. First Time in Forever - Classic Disney. Rock solid.

4. In Summer - Mah man Olaf.

5. Love is an Open Door - They were cute. :V

Didn't care about the rest. Fuck Fixer-Upper. That one was grating.

People really love Let It Go, which is natural as it's the centerpiece of the film, but the song after my heart is Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

I feel like this is the song that is closest in both sound and purpose to a lot of the music in the Renaissance films-- expressing both characters feelings

and exposition through Broadway-styled music and funny animation throughout. Anna was really charming through it, even if a bit cheesy at times, and the lyrics do a really great service in showing both her playful personality and desire to be with her sister as they used to be. Then she starts growing older, and she's starting to lose hope, but nonetheless asks Elsa one more time: do you want to build a snowman. It's heart-wrenching; basically the Disney musical equivalent to Up's silent opening.

• Thumbs Up 5

1. Let it Go - God tier. I had that shit on loop when I first heard it. I love this song.

2. Do You Wanna Build a Snowman - okay movie go ahead and break my heart like ten minutes in you do that. Great song.

3. First Time in Forever - Classic Disney. Rock solid.

4. In Summer - Mah man Olaf.

5. Love is an Open Door - They were cute. :V

Didn't care about the rest. Fuck Fixer-Upper. That one was grating.

Am I the only person who actually enjoyed fixer-upper?

sad.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only person who actually enjoyed fixer-upper?

sad.png

Good to know there's someone else who enjoyed it as well. :P

damn folks making me feel insecure about being in the minority again DX

People really love Let It Go, which is natural as it's the centerpiece of the film, but the song after my heart is Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

I feel like this is the song that is closest in both sound and purpose to a lot of the music in the Renaissance films-- expressing both characters feelings

and exposition through Broadway-styled music and funny animation throughout. Anna was really charming through it, even if a bit cheesy at times, and the lyrics do a really great service in showing both her playful personality and desire to be with her sister as they used to be. Then she starts growing older, and she's starting to lose hope, but nonetheless asks Elsa one more time: do you want to build a snowman. It's heart-wrenching; basically the Disney musical equivalent to Up's silent opening.

I agree. I do prefer Let it Go, but this song really got to me. It might be because I have two sister's myself, and also have experienced a similar "shut-out" feeling in the past (not from my sisters, but I digress). It really hit home for me.

^Ignoring that for a bit.

Echoing what people have said about "Do You Want To Build A Snowman?." While "Let It Go" was the big showstopper, this one is a close second for me in terms of how genuinely sweet and innocent it starts out until the pivotal part when the parents die (does that really count as spoiler despite happening near the beginning and that it's the typical Disney 'one or both parents are axed off' cliché?) and Anna making it a point that her and Elsa are the only family they have right now. But what got to me the most was Elsa's expression at the end. You know she wants things to be how they were as much as Anna and be a part of her sister's life again. Looking at it further, there's just there's a lot of heavy stuff weighing on her every moment in her life:

-Her ice/snow power and how they'll potentially grower stronger. That's a given.

-Trauma over almost killing her sister from said power.

-Losing her parents. The only people who brought any sort of control and wisdom for her bad situation.

-Being next in line for the throne when she's reached the age to do so.

All of that is just one big load of burden she had to carry up until coronation day came along. It just makes her all the more sympathetic and it makes you all the more happy to see embracing her freedom in "Let It Go."

Though if it's one thing I find odd about it is

Why didn't the chief troll tell her that love would be able to thaw out her power since that was how she brought back summer? Kind of would've saved a lot of trouble and estrangement by doing so. Did he just not know or was it so obvious that it went without saying and trusted her to figure it out herself?  Maybe have something like "Even though you powers will grow stronger, always keep love in your heart for others and theirs for you. For that will truly help you control your special gift." Or maybe make it sound more cryptic so she can figure it out herself.

But what am I really complaining about? Had any of that happened we probably never would've gotten the emotionally strained relationship between the sisters which was one of the movie's strongest points so I shouldn't look too much into it. It was just something I've been thinking about for a while until realizing that it would've just spoiled what is already good about this film and it's best to just let it slide.

^Ignoring that for a bit.

Try all you might, but you can't ignore the blatant DTV Frozen ripoff. >=D

Oddly enough, the story is...not that bad a story.

It's about an Inuit village being cursed with unending starvation and the whole quest to put a stop to the curse.

Shame the delivery and what not is absolutely terrible.

frozen2.jpg

Disney released another Frozen "For your consideration" Oscar ad! And like the first one, it is damn beautiful. Sure looks like Disney's pushing for the film to get nominated in more categories.

• Thumbs Up 3

That Oscar poster is wonderful!

Also, Frozen has been nominated at the Golden Globes for Best Animated Feature together with the Croods and Despicable Me 2. No nomination for Monsters University means it might just win an award!

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally got the chance to see this today, and I must say I came out with a gleaming smile on my face.  Film had a lot of heart, incredible animation and visual effects and a killer soundtrack, with Do You Want to Build a Snowman and Let It Go being the showstoppers.  Story was charming and had a couple of really nice twists that help push it from being cliché or too conventional and the characters were pretty great (though admittedly there weren't any that stuck with me quite like Rapunzel and Flynn Rider from Tangled did).  I think it just falls short as my favourite Disney film, but it's definitely up there and is a truly wonderful film.

Also, screw it Fixer Upper was awesome :V   

• Thumbs Up 6

My sisters really like Frozen Heart considering that it's the "Shakespearean prologue" much like the "Bells of Notre-Dame" in that it partially summarizes the film in a way that it dosen't spoil any surprises.

I like Fixer Upper out of context. It's funny and its style reminds me of Avenue Q.

In context though, it's uncomfortable to watch. It's awkward, grinds the movie to a halt, and the trolls are all singing about love while Anna is dying. And they don't stop until she collapses.

I get that it contributes to the romance bait-and-switch, but they could have executed it better.

• Thumbs Up 5

I like Fixer Upper out of context. It's funny and its style reminds me of Avenue Q.

In context though, it's uncomfortable to watch. It's awkward, grinds the movie to a halt, and the trolls are all singing about love while Anna is dying. And they don't stop until she collapses.

I get that it contributes to the romance bait-and-switch, but they could have executed it better.

Fun-Fact: The song writers (or at least one of them) wrote the songs for Avenue Q as well.

Did Alan Menken write the songs for Frozen, because Let It Go is super catchy like Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid, and Friend like Me from Aladdin.