Awoo.

Disney's "Frozen"

Match

I saw the movie today, so here's my thoughts:

It's good and I mean really good. Disney really has stepped up their game in the animation department, and I have to say this is one of Disney's best modern animated films right after Tangled. The animation is beautiful, the songs are great, and I love how the characters interact off one another. I especially love how they did the interaction between Anna and Elsa. I thought the writing in general was very well done too.

There is one complaint I do have and it's that Hans was a weak villain. While I didn't see the plot twist of him being the villain coming, I wish he could have done a lot more as a villain rather than just saying he wanted power.

The short before the movie "Get A Horse" was very well done and most of us in the theater laughing. I loved the concept behind it too.

Keep up the good work, Disney! We need more great films like this!

Some viewers with eagle eyes spotted a pretty neat split-second cameo of a certain brunette and a thief in Frozen.

tangled-frozen.jpg

Even Nathan Greno (director of Tangled) was quite surprised this made it in-in a discussion with a fan on tumblr, he said he saw the film, but didn't catch this easter egg. Discussion spoilered below:

nathangreno-tangled.jpg

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/rapunzel-cameo-in-frozen-surprises-the-director-of-tangled-91634.html

Also, this woman looks quite awfully similar to The Princess and the Frog's Tiana (if she was rendered in 3D), don't ya think? (Sorry about the picture quality, the was the best one I found at the above link in it's discussion).

t1Fi4xT.png?w=600&h=692.7098591549296

• Thumbs Up 3

Headcanon: Frozen and Tangled take place in the same universe

And the crossover fanfics shall commence in 5..4..3..2..1..

Some viewers with eagle eyes spotted a pretty neat split-second cameo of a certain brunette and a thief in Frozen.

tangled-frozen.jpg

Even Nathan Greno (director of Tangled) was quite surprised this made it in-in a discussion with a fan on tumblr, he said he saw the film, but didn't catch this easter egg. Discussion spoilered below:

nathangreno-tangled.jpg

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/rapunzel-cameo-in-frozen-surprises-the-director-of-tangled-91634.html

Headcanon: Frozen and Tangled take place in the same universe

Yah, its pretty amusing, and it is quite possible, since they both live in the same time period style, so I wouldnt rule it out, and also that is a hilarious cameo

Just an FYI for those who haven't or have seen it already, but there is an after-credits scene. While it's nothing really big, it's still a funny little scene regarding the big snowman (Marshmellow).

I saw it last Sunday. I was always optimistic about it, as I am aware of Disney's poor marketing decisions. and whatnot. My thoughts on it?

I think I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Heck, I think I'd go as far as to say that it could even be my favorite "Disney Princess" movie. 

What I really love about the movie is how well the character interactions are, especially Anna and Elsa's (I have a soft spot for family and sibling based stories.) The songs, are top notch, something I would expect from a disney movie. Not to mention, one of the songwriters wrote for Avenue Q and Book of Mormon, if I recall, and the songs that are more comedy based are indeed quite funny. The songs that are more dramatic do their jobs just right.

Like some have already said, don't let Disney's marketing fool you. If you're a fan of Disney's renaissance movies from the 90s, then I'd highly recommend you go see this one. 

As for Olaf, he really isn't as annoying as the trailers made him out to be, IMO. In fact, he's no different from most of Disney's comic relief (Which is a good thing, IMO) sidekicks and is pretty innoffensive. Heck, I laughed a couple times at his jokes here and there. 

All in all, a wonderful movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's nice coming from you Nephy, since I seem to recall you had your gripes with him being able to talk at first and not Sven.

I did, because the initial teaser short was so well done that I thought dialogue would merely cut into that kind of acting. It's still true that we didn't get any of his assembling animation that was as weird and out-there as the stuff in the trailer, but it's secondary to his sheer importance in the whole film and even just his personality.

Basically, I want Olaf for a pet. 8P

Olaf was so understated in the actual film as opposed to the trailers, and was such a fun, endearing character, that I actually wanted more of him. His jokes were funny, and his symbolism just worked. His song is also catchy as hell.

Heck, same with Elsa. She felt very understated as well despite the whole story technically revolving around her. I liked Anna, but I feel it would have been more interesting if the story followed Elsa the whole way through. "Let It Go", the whole sequence, from the song to the animation, was jaw dropping. I mean this literally. I had this idiotic, slack-jawed look on my face the entire time and for several minutes after.

The characters that I felt WERE annoying and unnecessary, were the trolls. I get they were needed to help Anna, but the song "Fixer-Upper" was legitimately uncomfortable to watch.

Seconding 'Fixer-Upper' being the weaker link out of the songs.

Though 'Love Is An Open Door' kind of loses significance or meaning with what happens later with Hans.

After watching this film for a second time yesterday, one thing that I felt could've been better were the trolls. They only had two scenes throughout the whole movie and both were just them (mostly the chief) being like magic exposition plot-devices regarding the 'frozen curse,' rather than fleshed-out or even likable characters. Considering how much mythos and folklore there is about trolls, whether there can be good or bad ones, or there could other kinds besides stone-aligned ones, in the Norwegian/Scandinavian culture, I kind of wanted to expect more to them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So i have a story to tell you guys, my story with this movie after seeing it 3 times and debating about it for a week now with people. It's a quite interesting tale that still makes me wonder at how smart as hell this movie is:

First time, i found it disappointing, which made me really sad. After all I was the one defending the movie from everyone that was hating on it cause of the deceptive marketing. I found the animation and music beautiful but found the characters and story lackluster in comparison to recent years. I was expecting this movie to take what Tangled did and improve upon it, kinda like Tangled did improve upon PaTF. The focus on that simple but heartfelt style of storytelling that that made those 2 movies great was absent imo.

But after giving the movie a second and third chances and talking to people that love it, I now have a tremendous respect for what it tried to do. I started to focus on the symbolism and metaphorical concepts and I realized:

This is a movie about love and what it means to love someone. Not a love story, but an exploration of what exactly means to love someone.

Anna's role:

A young woman with an emotionally traumatic childhood that is starving to fill the void in her life as a result of losing her parents and being locked in a castle without being able to be with the person she adores the most. When Hans notices her need for love he takes advantage of her. Anna is one of those damaged people that create their unrealistic idea of what love is and eventually realises that there's more to love than beauty and having things in common. That talk by the fireplace with Olaf is what gives that away.

Elsa's role:

After that horrible accident in the prologue she decides to just never go near her sister ever again. She thinks that by staying way from those she cares about so she won't hurt them is a form of love. Of course that's wrong, and the whole "Oh that's right, true love" thing is her realising that part of love is to solve any problems you have by talking things over and figuring things out. Her freezing Anna's heart is metaphorical of how shutting loved ones out of your life only hurts them, which of course shows how even by doing what she thinks is the only thing she can do hurts Anna even more.

Olaf's role:

He represents of course the real sisterly love that Anna and Elsa had before the accident, which is why it's him that tells Anna about what love truly is.

Originally i was disappointed cause i was expecting a more dialogue driven execution of this plot, but then i realised....These very mature things being done so elegantly, and I'm just focusing on what i expected it to be.

I still think the movie has some problems, like the trolls, but there's so much amazing stuff in it that it becomes insignificant.

Jennifer Lee, I salute you, your subtle writing has actually gone over my head, and that hasn't happened to me in a long time. She could have just done a better Tangled, but she did something different, well done.

Overall, This is another fantastic movie that clearly cements Disney Animation's place as the new kings of western animation.

Oh and the Mickey Mouse short was brilliant and hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 6

... I don't know what to be more surprised by: that the cinema would do something that stupid, or that a X-rated film actually got a trailer shown in what I presume to be a relatively major cinema. I thought the MPAA ain't down with this sort of thing at all.

Oh Florida... I love your tropical weather, but you guys always have so much bizarre crap going on, that It makes it harder for me to wanna move there. >_<

Also, I'd never thought they'd show X-rated movie trailers in general in theaters like these. Of course, I wouldn't know about this stuff anyway.

Slightly off-topic, but the X-rating for the film is kinda misleading, since the (MPAA) X-rating is extinct today (it's since been replaced with the very-rare NC-17 rating, which seems to be reserved specifically for films high in sex and nudity), and to my knowledge the film hasn't been rated the MPAA yet (although I assume it's going to be slapped with an NC-17 rating).

You know how the first song has Anna constantly asking Elsa to build a snowman?

The first thing Elsa does when she's free is build a snowman.

DAMN, that's some good symbolism!

• Thumbs Up 1

Disney put "Let it Go" on their Youtube channel:

Now if only they released "Do you wanna build a snowman" I'd be all set cool.png

• Thumbs Up 9

Disney put "Let it Go" on their Youtube channel:

Now if only they released "Do you wanna build a snowman" I'd be all set cool.png

Wow that's great. That really makes me want to see this movie now... Idina Menzel's vice is just amazing

IT'S TIME TO TRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DEFYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYING GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAVITY!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Mark Kermode loved the film. I trust his judgement on stuff like this usually so yeah...getting pretty hyped now.

I saw Frozen in 3D last week with my grandma. The Micky Mouse short that played before the movie was great! I'd recommend seeing the film in 3D just for this short. It was so nice to hear the audiences' laughter.

The songs were fantastic. Let It Go was definitely one of my favorites. I agree with that everyone's saying about Olaf: he was a great comic relief and not nearly as annoying as the trailer made him out to be. Elsa and Anna were my favorite characters by far.

What happened with Hans really was a great plot twist. No one saw it coming, and it went along with Anna not really knowing what true love is really well. The ending was by far one of my favorites. I agree that the trolls were kind of lack luster, but they only have two scenes, so I can't complain too much. Also, if the entire country is frozen, then why is everything still tropical and green in the trolls' environment? Are the just far away or something?

I saw Frozen in 3D last week with my grandma. The Micky Mouse short that played before the movie was great! I'd recommend seeing the film in 3D just for this short. It was so nice to hear the audiences' laughter.

The songs were fantastic. Let It Go was definitely one of my favorites. I agree with that everyone's saying about Olaf: he was a great comic relief and not nearly as annoying as the trailer made him out to be. Elsa and Anna were my favorite characters by far.

What happened with Hans really was a great plot twist. No one saw it coming, and it went along with Anna not really knowing what true love is really well. The ending was by far one of my favorites. I agree that the trolls were kind of lack luster, but they only have two scenes, so I can't complain too much. Also, if the entire country is frozen, then why is everything still tropical and green in the trolls' environment? Are the just far away or something?

its a hotsprings area, they never freeze over