Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

They just made an excuse for the game being 15 Euros. :P

Seriously thought my excitement levels went up. Can't wait for My 15th to get this. It's gonna be awesome! :D

Things are about to get lockly hot in here, considering some of the back and forth arguments.

If you guys wanna be Tails that badly, just be Player 2!

'sides, since SEGA actually went out of their way to tie things between Sonic 4 and Sonic CD by giving free content (including and may not be limited to new playable character who looks like he'll have tricks of his own [you know, like how Sonic can HA, Tails can fly and Knuckles can go through and climb walls!], backwards compatibility like S&K and four exclusive levels), then shouldn't we at the least feel grateful? Nobody obligated them to actually do Episode Metal in the first place, much less for free!

• Thumbs Up 9

It's weird to me that Tails has been at the forefront of their marketing effort when his impact on the game seems marginal compared to all of the effort they seem to be putting into Metal and the CD tie-in. At this point I'm starting to think that it should've been Sonic and Metal together in the logo instead of the Sonic 2 homage. At least that would've been new and interesting.

I'm not terribly excited at the prospect of playing as Metal, anyway, but it's cool that there might be a little more (read: some) story content this time around. Episode 1 might even retroactively be about something.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm less annoyed by the fact that Metal is playable, and more peeved, that Sega are still trying to sell this Sonic only shit. I mean, when is it going to stop?

Unleashed: Oh, you can play as Sonic and Sonic in an alt. form that beats things up. Wouldn't it have been easier to add Knuckles? Who?

Colors: You can play multiplayer. With Sonic & Tails right? Fuck no, have some Sonic robots.

Generations: Ok, can we finally play as someone other than Sonic? Fine, you can play as Classic

Sonic. I fucking hate you.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm less annoyed by the fact that Metal is playable, and more peeved, that Sega are still trying to sell this Sonic only shit. I mean, when is it going to stop?

Unleashed: Oh, you can play as Sonic and Sonic in an alt. form that beats things up. Wouldn't it have been easier to add Knuckles? Who?

Colors: You can play multiplayer. With Sonic & Tails right? Fuck no, have some Sonic robots.

Generations: Ok, can we finally play as someone other than Sonic? Fine, you can play as Classic

Sonic. I fucking hate you.

Two words for you: Player Two.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yay for the Sonic only streak being finally broken! Sad they went for Metal Sonic instead of Tails and that I have to own Ep1 and can't just play as him in ep 2, but I finally get to play as someone other then Sonic! It will feel so damn good...........

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE PLAYER 2. I mean what is so hard to understand? You mean I should be perfectly fine with the fact that in order to play as Tails, I have to get another controller and a friend, make him player 1?

• Thumbs Up 1

Given that the stage layout has been altered, I'm hopeful that they'll use Episode 2 physics. Level design will probably be the same in terms of quality, but there will be new paths, enemy placement and obstacles. I'm hoping it's a "hard mode". As for the plastic grass, do you really think they'd redraw an entire zone from episode 1? It's not like it's a 3D rendering, ep. 1 is still flat 2D images.

I'd imagine that they'd still have the original 3D models used to make the assets.

I don't believe that exactly compensates for the fact that Sonic and Tails have decipherable mechanics that make them both unique in their own ways, I'm content with Sonic 4 Episode 2 taking the Co op platformer path that many others have been taking lately, but I'm capable of seeing why people are disappointed.

Sola Sonica timeline:

2008- So we give you a brawl gameplay and high speed Sonic action. Can you play as Knuckles in Brawl? Haha no we'll give you this Sonic the Werehog

2010: We give you 2P mode. Can you play as Tails? Hahahahahahahahaa!!!! Of course not. Who wants to play as this loser. Play as Sonic Clone instead. Its the same? No! ITS RED!

2011: Want some other characters? All right! Classic Sonic for ya!

2012: In Sonic 4 where you co-op with Tails we will give you a lock-on feature where you can play with other character.... You think its Sonic? Oh you're so silly. We are more original than that! Its METAL Sonic!!!

So yeah.

I guess it came to the point that people will complain about free stuff now.. I need to stop coming here often.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sola Sonica timeline:

2008- So we give you a brawl gameplay and high speed Sonic action. Can you play as Knuckles in Brawl? Haha no we'll give you this Sonic the Werehog

2010: We give you 2P mode. Can you play as Tails? Hahahahahahahahaa!!!! Of course not. Who wants to play as this loser. Play as Sonic Clone instead. Its the same? No! ITS RED!

2012: In Sonic 4 where you co-op with Tails we will give you a lock-on feature where you can play with other character.... You think its Sonic? Oh you're so silly. We are more original than that! Its METAL Sonic!!!

So yeah.

..Way to completely steal my post.

I guess it came to the point that people will complain about free stuff now.. I need to stop coming here often.

..Because its not like are complaints are warranted or anything, nope, we just like to complain for the sake of it.

Sola Sonica timeline:

So yeah.

S&tBK had Knuckles, Blaze, & Shadow (in their alternate names however) playable in certain areas as optional characters.

'sides, since SEGA actually went out of their way to tie things between Sonic 4 and Sonic CD by giving free content (including and may not be limited to new playable character who looks like he'll have tricks of his own [you know, like how Sonic can HA, Tails can fly and Knuckles can go through and climb walls!], backwards compatibility like S&K and four exclusive levels), then shouldn't we at the least feel grateful? Nobody obligated them to actually do Episode Metal in the first place, much less for free!

I don't think they're actually gonna be new levels, I think the "four exclusive levels" bit is just referring to Metal Sonic also being able to play through the Episode 1 levels. I'd love for that to be untrue, but if there were really four additional levels then why wouldn't Sonic and Tails be able to play them?

Still, I'm happy to see Metal Sonic as a playable, though it appears that continuity is a bit screwy once again, since Eggman is shown reviving Modern Metal :V. I do hope though that Metal's prominence here means that beyond Sonic 4 he starts getting used a bit more.

Sola Sonica timeline:

So yeah.

To be fair, Metal is his own character, while the Werehog, Robo-Sonics and Classic Sonic are different forms of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooo, I just got here now.

Can we play as Metal Sonic on Episode II naturally or do we need the two games to "unlock" it?

This proves that Metal Sonic is overrated as hell nowdays. I liked him but now I began to dislike him because of people who think of him as a freaking messiah (see Generations: Metal Reveal: People- "Hell yeah back to the good SEGA!" and Shadow and Silver reveal:"BAWW SHITTY FRIENDS!") that just pisses me off.

So, when Metal Sonic is rarely seen (in the main series anyway) and is surprisingly popular among fans, he's cool and not at all overrated. But when he's actually used in two main series games and is even playable in one, he's overrated just because fans are happy he's actually getting appearances outside spin-offs.

I don't get it. :/

Anyway, Tails not being playable is pretty disappointing. The Sola Sonica thing we've been through the past few years has just gotten more and more ridiculous...but considering how much reviewers bash any character that isn't Sonic and Eggman, I can't say I'm surprised.

Just Oh! MY! GOD!

Playable METAL FUCKING SONIC! ANd these levels!

All is forgiven, Sega!

• Thumbs Up 3

To be fair, Metal is his own character, while the Werehog, Robo-Sonics and Classic Sonic are different forms of Sonic.

Yes, but Metal is based on Sonic therefore, its essentially playing as Sonic, just a knockoff of him.

I'm sorry, I might change my mind later, but I refuse to pay $30 just to play as Sonic and Not Sonic.

You know oddly enough I'm not bothered by Metal Sonic being playable at all. Looking back on it we probably should've realized that between Metal and Tails Metal was most likely to be a playable character solo out of the two. I mean he now has the homing attack, and we all know it's not possible to beat this game without the homing attack.

Here's my last post elaborated on, then.

I think it's stupid that they're trying to play this up to be the lock-on that many people have been asking for, when it, er, isn't. S3&K's defining feature about lock-on was playing both games back-to-back and allowing each game's exclusive character to be playable in another. I'm aware that episode 1 really has nothing to offer in the latter's department, but Metal's probably not even going to be playable in episode 2 due to the lack of partner. It feels less like lock-on and more like an old save bonus. Which is fine, but the way Ken puts it makes the feature seem rather misguided.

In all honesty I actually think playable Metal Sonic is pretty cool, but it's not what I would expect an S3&K-lock-on to entail. So the feature itself isn't stupid, just what I was hearing from Ken's mouth. In the end it's not a big deal to me when it comes to the game itself, but watching that video was painful nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 9

Here's my last post elaborated on, then.

I think it's stupid that they're trying to play this up to be the lock-on that many people have been asking for, when it, er, isn't. S3&K's defining feature about lock-on was playing both games back-to-back and allowing each game's exclusive character to be playable in another. I'm aware that episode 1 really has nothing to offer in the latter's department, but Metal's probably not even going to be playable in episode 2 due to the lack of partner. It feels less like lock-on and more like an old save bonus. Which is fine, but the way Ken puts it makes the feature seem rather misguided.

In all honesty I actually think playable Metal Sonic is pretty cool, but it's not what I would expect an S3&K-lock-on to entail. So the feature itself isn't stupid, just what I was hearing from Ken's mouth. In the end it's not a big deal to me when it comes to the game itself, but watching that video was painful nonetheless.

I was just thinking of how to word my feelings about this and you've summed it up nicely. I'm fine with playable Metal Sonic, but I'd rather have playable Tails or both Tails and Metal Sonic. I'm also pretty disappointed that the sand level looks too much like a combination of Sandopolis Zone and Oil Ocean Zone. There are still too many unnecessary boosters everywhere, too.

Also, I can see Wii owners of Episode 1 being pissed that they'll have to buy Episode 1 again as well as Episode 2 to get this extra content.

Also, I can see Wii owners of Episode 1 being pissed that they'll have to buy Episode 1 again as well as Episode 2 to get this extra content.

Wouldn't that have happened anyway? Regardless as to what character it involved?