Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Its either that there not paying Jun enough to do a good job or classic work just isn't his thing.

Little history folks, When Jun came along it was 1993, Around Sonic 3's development, And he just got out of college awhile ago, A rookie by all means since hes had no real professional work before this.

The music was already starting to take changes from what we heard in Sonic 1&2 so its not like he had a real direct involvement in previous works.

This is what hes credited for in Sonic 3/S&K:

~Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Jingle - Act Clear — Music & Arrangement

Bonus Stage (Gumball Machine) — Music & Arrangement

Jingle - Game Over — Music & Arrangement

Jingle - Continue — Music & Arrangement

~Sonic & Knuckles

Bonus Stage (Slot Machine) — Music & Arrangement

Bonus Stage (Magnetic Orbs) — Music & Arrangement

Thats all he was given, Jingles and Bonus Stages! There not going to give some fresh, wet behind the ears, former college student by only a couple months big work like stage music yet so they stuck the guy with stuff you wouldn't be hearing normally.

Then after some works with other SEGA games, his last Sonic classic game he had real involvement was 3D Blast:

~Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Mega Drive Version)

Opening — Music & Arrangement

Menu — Music & Arrangement

Introduction/Panic Puppet - Act 1 — Music & Arrangement

Green Grove - Act 1 — Music & Arrangement

Green Grove - Act 2 — Music & Arrangement

Spring Stadium - Act 1 — Music & Arrangement

Spring Stadium - Act 2 — Music & Arrangement

Special Stage — Music & Arrangement

Bonus Stage [unused] — Music & Arrangement [NOTE: Includes portions of "Special Stage" and "Bonus Stage (Slot Machine)" from Sonic 3]

Jingle - Invincible — Music & Arrangement

Boss 1 — Music

Boss 1 [unused] — Music [NOTE: Reused for "Boss" in Sonic the Hedgehog 4]

Ending — Music

Staff Roll — Arrangement

After which, adventure came along and the rest is current history to us. Now mind you the Genesis version is supposed to be the superior one in soundtrack but it was no Sonic 1-3 sound-wise.

My point being this man has been around for awhile, but he wasn't actually involved in our beloved classic music we heard over and over and over until our ears bled. if anything hes drawing inspiration from his works on 3D blast as his classic element.

Again, why don't they just bring a few people back from the Sonic 1-3 crew and let him assist instead of forcing him to mimic someone Else's work? This isn't his thing he shouldn't be forced into something that doesn't fit him. SEGA should either give the order to have more people from the classic era help Jun or ditch this whole 16-bit OH WERE TRYING TO BE RETRO HOW COOL IS THAT? vibe and go for its own flair!

Give Jun a Guitar and tell him to "go nuts, create whatever you want!" and we get stuff from adventure-generations, nice decent sounding stuff you want to replay on your ipods over and over. Give Jun a keyboard and a Genesis soundset and tell him "Do this EXACTLY like how it was in Sonic 2" and we get deceased cats!, bad stuff thats entirely forgettible.

There, my opinion is voiced.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 8

Wow, suits Sonic 4 perfectly. And by that I mean it's terrible for all the reasons it's expected to be.

• Thumbs Up 9

The music is okay. It doesn't fit it's setting too well. I'll reserve most of my judgement until I hear a clean rip of the music because I couldn't hear it all that well.

Also, White Park looks amazing! Sylvania Castle looks... not nearly as good as White Park.

I'm so glad I can hear the music from Springs and Boosters Zone Act 1, can't wait to hear how they (mis)handle Automation Zone's music. Should be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, the music is underwhelming to say the least. Can't say I really had my hopes up to begin with.

Though, perhaps the music will improve as the game advances like Episode 1's did.

Hmmm, those screens and videos are looking pretty good. I think I'm actually looking forward to episode 2 now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one who actually likes the music? I can't remember it right now, sure, but that's because I'm hearing it in a low-quality and I'm not hearing it for like 2 minutes straight. I found Episode 1's music pretty good (Though, I did play the Wii version, so it was more MIDI and thus sounded better IMO).

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmmm, those screens and videos are looking pretty good. I think I'm actually looking forward to episode 2 now.

Nice to see some more positive comments here! The whole music thing, I pretty much didn't think it would change much after hearing Ken in his interview with TSS staff, but I DID thought that they would have used the proper Mega Drive soundfont/music when they had received it in the conference in San Fransisco last year. It's disappointing, but this doesn't sound to bad.

I seriously want to test this game out right now damnit

Am I the only one who actually likes the music? I can't remember it right now, sure, but that's because I'm hearing it in a low-quality and I'm not hearing it for like 2 minutes straight. I found Episode 1's music pretty good (Though, I did play the Wii version, so it was more MIDI and thus sounded better IMO).

Nope! It's kind off a guilty pleasure to me.

It's hard to memorise a theme when it's jumbled up with rubbish video audio quality, along with the barrage of springs & boosters drowning it out at the part of the track that sound quite interesting.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Awesome footage of unnamed Sand Zone.

METAL SONIC PLAYABILITY IN EPISODE 1

Episode Metal has cemented my excitement for this game. The new footage of the sand zone is just the icing on the cake.

Can anyone get us a youtube of that vid so I/someone can do a TSS update... Also managed to quickly snag the release dates.

May 15th PS3 (if this will also be EU PSN is anyones guess)

May 16th Xbox 360

May PC

June Android

July Windows phone.

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay Episode Metal sounds cool. However I'm more interested in if that means the E1 levels will have the updated physics. Probably... sounds... good... whu-

Hm, I wonder if the reworked Episode 1 levels will also have updated music to use the better instruments?

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Well. I didn't see that coming. The new Sand Level looks great and Episode Metal looks awsome! Man i'm hyped as hell for the game now =D

Edited by BlueTidalGamer21

My reaction to that trailer.

METAL. FREAKIN'. SONIC.<br><br>PLAYABLE.<br><br>SEGA, TAKE MY MONEY. TAKE ALL OF IT.&nbsp;

Edited by Tracker the Doggy
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay I didn't see a link to ANY trailer. Can someone help me out?

WOAH WOAH WOAH...!! Metal Sonic playable?!? I had been gone for a while, so someone please tell me that someone is trolling (are they?)

Were iOS dates given?

Also, did they say exactly how you play as Metal?

I'm sure the iOS dates are the same as the PSN releases 15th of May