Awoo.

Toonami Is Back Bitches [05.26.12]

King Frosty

Bebop isn't perfect. Out of its 26 episode run, most of them are filler esc episodes that don't have much of a connection to the plot. The story only really takes off when it focuses on the characters` development, and expanding on their past, which are very few.

Yeah that is true, but the thing is, Cowboy Bebop is such a good show and it's so well done that the filler almost doesn't even feel like filler sometimes.

Like, the episode when they're hunting the child who couldn't age (Sympathy For The Devil) or the one when they're hunting that psychotic manchild (Pierrot Le Fou). I barely remember any character development regarding the main characters or changes to canon in those episodes, but that didn't stop them from being memorable as hell (and better than some of the actual "plot" episodes).

• Thumbs Up 1

So Tenchi GXP is finally ending, right? Thank God for that.

Did Tenchi ever come back into the plot at all since that 2 part earth stay?

I hate how One Piece is taking Soul Eater's 1AM timeslot.

Well that was a given, there was no way they weren't going to air the big three back to back.

We get it, you don't like Bebop.

I don't hate Cowboy Bebop. I loved the show the first one hundred times that Adult Swim showed it, but now I'm sick and tired of them repeating it over and over again.

Plus I think it's overrated and doesn't have as much depth as people think it does.

Edited by Vampfox

I don't hate Cowboy Bebop. I loved the show the first one hundred times that Adult Swim showed it, but now I'm sick and tired of them repeating it over and over again.

Plus I think it's overrated and doesn't have as much depth as people think it does.

Well for many people Bebop was their introduction to Anime, and basically codified the entire space opera genre along with Outlaw Star. Plus, it had two actors(Steve Blum and Wendee Lee) that was there star making role. 

Its probably mostly nostalgia from some people too.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well for many people Bebop was their introduction to Anime, and basically codified the entire space opera genre along with Outlaw Star. Plus, it had two actors(Steve Blum and Wendee Lee) that was there star making role. 

Its probably mostly nostalgia from some people too.

Not only that, but the Toonami team absolutely loves Bebop. They always wanted it on Toonami and now that Toonami is part of Adult Swim, they're embracing it. They just want to have their fun, I suppose. Cowboy Bebop is also the reason they really wanted/hired Steve Blum to voice TOM starting with his second incarnation.

• Thumbs Up 4

So... One Piece is gonna be on in a week or two I think? I'm an idiot for waiting until now to watch the series but again it wasn't really on TV for me to watch anyways...

Because it's starting at the 200th episode mark on Toonami, anybody have any recommended episodes to catch up with on Funimation's website before they put it back on?

inb4 all of them

Well, I would say all of them, but welp, for most of us time isn't abundant enough to do all of that, so just read these if you're interested. They're well written detailed summaries of all the major arcs. (gonna list all the way to where Toonami's starting) and if anything interests you, watch that particular episode:

(East Blue Saga

Romance Dawn
Orange Town 
Syrup Village 
Baratie
Arlong Park
Logue Town

((Baroque Works Saga

Reverse Mountain
Whiskey Peak
Little Garden
Drum Island
Alabasta

(((Skypiea Saga

Jaya
Skypeia

((((CP9 Saga

Long Ring Long <--Toonami's starting here.

Here's an even more condensed summary of the above. Again, I'm only listing to ep 207, though this particular site itself seemed to have stopped updating past a certain point after that anyway:

The East Blue Saga

This saga is the first saga in One Piece. It covers the journey towards the Grand Line, and mainly consists of people joining Luffy's crew.

Captain Morgan Arc:

Chapters 1-7, Episodes 1-3

It is now that Luffy sets off to become the Pirate King. After running into a Sea King, he ends up on Pirate Alvida's ship. Eventually, he escapes with a new friend, Coby, and they set off for a Marine Island ruled by the devious Captain Axe-Hand Morgan. It is here that Luffy first meets the Bounty Hunter Roronoa Zoro, and, after getting Zoro his swords back, Zoro joins Luffy's crew. Later, they defeat Captain Morgan, and head out to the next location.

Buggy Arc:

Chapters 8-21, Episodes 4-8

Luffy and Zoro now find themselves in a town that has been taken over by the pirate Buggy the Clown. It is here that Luffy's past, in the anime, is revealed, and where Nami, after defeating buggy, joins the crew.

Kuro Arc:

Chapters 22-41, Episodes 9-18

Luffy, Zoro, and Nami now head on to the next island, with a mind set to find a ship. It is here that they first meet Usopp and learn of the Black Cat Pirates. Their captain, Kuro, has set a devious plan to take a large wealth for themselves. Eventually, Luffy beats Kuro, and Usopp joins the crew. Also, the crew gets their first ship, the Going Merry.

Don Krieg Arc:

Chapters 42-68, Episodes 19-30

The Straw Hat Pirates, now with their newest member Usopp, head onwards. They reach a sea restaurant, the Baratie, in search of a Chef. However, Krieg, the strongest pirate in the East Blue, appears, wanting to take over the Baratie for himself and his crew. It is also here that the Straw Hat Pirates meet up with Sanji, and, eventually, Sanji joins them.

Arlong Arc:

Chapters 69-95, Episodes 31-45

With Sanji now on the Straw Hat's Crew, they go after Nami, who left them. The next island they come to is one completely controlled by the fish-man pirate Arlong. It is here that we discover Nami's sad history, and how Arlong is the cause of it. After Arlong is defeated, Nami rejoins the crew.

Buggy Side Story Arc:

Episodes 46-47

This is an anime only arc which follows Buggy after he was defeated by Luffy. Buggy meets Alvida in this arc, and the two of them join forces to take down Luffy.

Loguetown Arc:

Chapter 96-100, Episodes 48-53

With the first five members of the crew all together again, they head to the last island in the East Blue. This island is Loguetown, the place of the beginning and end. It is here that the previous Pirate King, Gold Roger, was executed. The Straw Hat's, after gathering new equipment and re-stocking, and also after Luffy nearly gets killed by Buggy, head off towards the Grand Line.

The Warship Island Arc (Filler):

Episodes 54-61

This is an anime only arc in which the Straw Hat Pirates find a girl named Apis, who leads them to a Dragon. It is the Straw Hat's job to take the Dragon back to it's home.

The Baroque Works Saga

This saga follows the Straw Hat's journey through the first parts of the Grand Line, assisting a woman named Vivi in her journey home and defeating the Shichibukai (Warlord of the sea) Crocodile.

Reverse Mountain Arc:

Chapters 101-105, Episodes 62-63

The Straw Hat's enter the Grand Line through the only portal, Reverse Mountain. It is here that they meet Laboon, a giant whale.

Whiskey Peak Arc:

Chapters 106-114, Episodes 64-67

During this arc, the Straw Hat's reach the first island of the Grand Line, which seemed to be a welcoming place to all of the pirates who first enter the Grand Line. However, all of the people of this island are actually Bounty Hunters who work for Baroque Works. It is also here that the Straw Hats meet Nefeltari Vivi, and assist her on her journey to Alabasta to save her country.

Coby/Helmeppo Side Story Arc:

Episodes 68-69

Follows the stories of Coby and Helmeppo as they are selected by Vice Admiral Garp to be trained as marines.

Little Garden Arc:

Chapters 115-129, Episodes 70-77

The crew docks at a large island that is stuck in the prehistoric era. Here, they encounter two giants who have been fighting for 100 years, Dorry and Broggy. Also, they come in contact with four high ranking baroque works members.

Drum Island Arc:

Chapters 130-153, Episodes 78-91

The crew lands on a snowy island known as Drum Island. They land here due to Nami catching a fatal illness, and they need to find a doctor to heal her. Luffy and Sanji find out that they must travel up a huge mountain in order to bring Nami to the only doctor of the island, the "witch" doctor, Kureha. At the same time, Wapol, the old king who fled the country, returns to retake his throne. Tony Tony Chopper, a reindeer that ate the Human Fruit, helps save Nami then further assists the Straw Hats in defeating Wapol. In the end, Chopper joins the crew.

Alabasta Arc:

Chapters 154-216, Episodes 92-130

With Tony Tony Chopper on the Straw Hat's crew, they continue onwards towards Alabasta to help Vivi save her country from the devious Baroque Works. Reaching the island, they head out to stop a civil war. They must make it to the rebel's headquarters in time to stop the war, or it would be too late. However, Vivi fails and the two forces hit head on. Luffy heads out to fight Crocodile, and, after a long battle, defeats him. During the moments of Crocodile's defeat, the island of Alabasta, after expierincing a 3 year drought, finally receives rain.

Skypiea Saga:

The Skypiea Saga chronicles the Straw Hat's journey from the ocean to the sky. It centers around a fierce battle against a self-proclaimed God, Enel, and saving an entire country.

Post Alabasta Arc:

Episodes 131-135

After Nico Robin, a former Baroque Works agent, joins the crew, they set off from Alabasta. This arc basically covers a few various adventures the crew has.

Goat Island Arc (Filler):

Episodes 136-138

An anime only arc, this arc follows the Straw Hat's journey further down the Grand Line. They land upon an uncharted Island and meet an old man named Zenny. Zeeny, as told by Chopper, has less than 3 days to live, and thus Luffy strives to make those last 3 days perfect.

Rainbow Mist Arc (filler):

Episodes 139-143

The Straw Hat's now land on Ruluka Island, and quickly make enemies with the Mayor and his men. During this arc, the Straw Hats meet Henzo, a scientist doing research on the mysterious Rainbow Mist, a substance that causes a warp in spacetime.

Jaya Arc:

Chapters 217-236, Episodes 144-152

After a huge ship mysteriously falls from the sky, the Straw Hat's discover their Log Pose is pointing straight up to the sky. Bewildered, they dock on an island named Mock Town, a pirates paradise, to learn more. They find a man named Montblanc Cricket, a descendent of a great explorer, Montblanc Norland, who claimed to have found a city of gold. They are also told of a place that existed in the sky. After defeating some troublesome Bellamy Pirates, who try and steal from Cricket, the Strawhat's set out to head to the sky.

Skypiea Arc:

Chapters 237-302, Episodes 153-195

The Straw Hats are told to reach this fantastic Island in the Sky, they must ride upon a huge water stream that shoots upwards into the sky, a stream called Knock-Up Stream. After doing so successfully, the Strawhats land in the "White Sea" which is a sea composed of clouds. Later, they discover a war is occurring between the Sky People and the native people of Skypiea. They also discover Enel, a self-proclaimed God, who wants to destroy everything in Skypiea and take only a select few with him to Fairy Vearth. After defeating Enel, and making peace with the two separate groups of people, the Straw Hat's bid farewell and head back down to the blue sea below.

G8 Arc (Filler):

Episodes 196-206

Once landed back on the Blue Sea, the Straw Hat's discover they have landed in a marine base, Marine Base G8. Here, they must get their ship back from the marines and escape.

The CP9 Saga:

This saga follows the Straw Hat's journey to Water 7 and onwards, and mostly centers around saving their nakama, Nico Robin, from the evil hands of the government.

Davy Back Fight Arc:

Chapters 303-321, Episodes 207-219

After escaping the Marine Base G8, they crew lands on an island in which everything appears long. They also encounter Foxy, the captain of the Foxy Pirate Crew. It is here that the Straw Hats are challenged by the Foxy Pirates in a "Davy Back Fight", which is a number of games in which one crew tries to gain crew members by stealing them from the other crew by winning the games.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually heard that there's a huge divide with this series. People I know that enjoy it, REALLY loves it, and then I see that the ones who dislike it mention how this is one of the worst series they've watched.

I've actually heard that there's a huge divide with this series. People I know that enjoy it, REALLY loves it, and then I see that the ones who dislike it mention how this is one of the worst series they've watched.

Thing is it starts out decent, then turns into some misguided fanfiction level writing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Love/like the first half, dislike/hate the second.

Edited by Soniman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A nice tribute video that was done for Toonami by fans at Otakon:

~Aww! <3

Anyways, its been awhile since I asked this but Visionaryblur you still around here? if so, how have been the ratings been the last few months for Toonami?

I'm wondering how KickHeart did too, thats why I'm waiting on VisionaryBlur's list of ratings like he used to post, thats if hes still around.

12:00AM Evangelion 2.22 0.8 HH, 1.097 million

2:30AM Kick Heart 0.5 HH, 708,000

2:45AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.5 HH, 638,000

3:15AM Big O/An 0.4 HH, 599,000

3:45AM Kick Heart 0.4 HH, 618,000

4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 652,000

4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 0.4 HH, 584,000

5:00AM Inuyasha 0.5 HH, 646,000

5:30AM Inuyasha 0.5 HH, 681,000

From the article in my last post.

I don't know about the last couple weeks though.

Edited by Wonder Black (AR)