Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Oh God, please use another word to describe a character who has been through a traumatic event and lost his brother/friend/girlfriend/wife/mother in battle/life/some unforseen event. No, honestly, you sound like an emotionally stunted individual who refuses to think that some people actually do feel sadness at one point of their lives. Having a character that actually isn't jovial all the time is something that I call "realistic." I say this because I just came out of a damn debate with friends that insist that Cloud Strife and Lightning Ferron are emo when they have every reason to not act like they aren't high on rainbows and bunnies.

Oh sorry. Emotional phase. I really didn't mean emo. Sorry if me saying that made you upset.

Noir: Already watched it.

No, honestly, you sound like an emotionally stunted individual who refuses to think that some people actually do feel sadness at one point of their lives.

Hmm this is the second time i've been reffered to like that, though worded differently.

Maybe I am. I'm really not sure.

Edited by Torcano

Evangelion wasn't emo. It was... Existentialism. Or maybe just crazy.

Nah, but "emo" Simon and Shinji act just like each other

Ahh, Kamina.

Yeah, okay, he gets redeemed later on when you find out it was all an act, blah blah blah. In all honesty, they still doesn't do it for me. Act or not, his behaviour on-screen just made him the biggest stuck-up egomaniac nutjob ever. Again, act or not, he just annoyed me. And I still say he's a little girl compared to Masaru from Digimon Savers, who is many times more HAX yet doesn't go off ranting about how awesome he is every five seconds. :lol:

Edited by Mahzes

Yeah, but acting aside, Kamina's not exactly much better in terms of character depth himself. And he's (Masaru) way more awesome and manly-epic-awesome hax, yet doesn't come across as arrogant or obnoxious.

Like I said, yeah, Kamina's character is redeemed later on. It's just a shame throughout all his actual screentime he comes off as a bit of a prat. I suppose it's one of those things where it's better to go back and rewatch the series with his later-revealed insecurities in mind.

Edited by Mahzes

I wouldn't go so far as to say Marcus isn't obnoxious. A different kind of obnoxious, but still pretty damn obnoxious. The first dozen or so episodes of Data Squad were basically "what stubborn lone wolf prick move will Marcus pull this time" that he seemed to pick up from the Ichigo School of Douchebaggery. Of course, then Crispin Freeman got involved and put things into perspective beat the shit out of him and it was on.

Edited by Tornado

Well, in a way, I guess. At the start of the series, he is pretty arrogant, I suppose. In that sense he does have some development, in that, whilst he's still the obvious uberhax crazy strongman later on in the series, mentally he seems to cool off a little and get off his own soapbox a bit.

At the start of the series, he's basically uncontested. When he starts hanging around other people who he can't simply beat the shit out of easily, I suppose it starts to hit home that he's not the best thing in the world.

I still find his reaction to BanchoLeomon stopping his punch like it was nothing hilarious. :lol:

Edited by Mahzes

masaru spends all of his screen time acting a as prat, in a show filled with prats, with so many moments of sheer idiocy I want to ram my head into a wall until I knock myself out.

he's self centred and egotistical, i'm the best street fighter and nothing else, whereas on the other hand Kamina isn't "i'm the best" but rather we're the best. The character has a lot of redeeming qualities, which is why it suprises me when people express distaste towards him. It's like people only see WOW THIS DUDE IS LOUD and ignore everything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

I fucking love Kamina ok. The only main character in Gurren Lagann that I didn't love to bits was Yoko, and her design is pretty loveable. Just, her character isn't that loveable.

I don't get why Kamina gets so much hate. I mean, I have this huge pet peeve about people throwing around the term "badass" and acting as if it applies to every fucking character that goes around destroying stuff, but usually these characters are just assholes and people use the word "badass" to try and redeem them.

Kamina's not one of those assholes, he's a genuinely nice guy, a bit too hot-headed for his own good, but man, he's a true badass.

Kamina genuinely values every single person around him as much as he values himself.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still think that one big gripe I had with Gurren Lagann as a whole is that Kamina is

killed off far too quickly for you to feel like you've had time to care about him.

At least, that's how I felt. I mean,

he dies,

what, eight episodes in, was it?

Okay, I know Gurren-Lagann is a short series, but they should have had him hang around a bit longer than that, surely?

I still think that one big gripe I had with Gurren Lagann as a whole is that Kamina is

killed off far too quickly for you to feel like you've had time to care about him.

At least, that's how I felt. I mean,

he dies,

what, eight episodes in, was it?

Okay, I know Gurren-Lagann is a short series, but they should have had him hang around a bit longer than that, surely?

I dunno. I think it's done perfectly.

He dies just when we're getting attached to him, and we can't believe it. If they genuinely surprised you by killing off such a major character so early on in, then they succeeded

Gurren Lagann is all about getting reason and kicking it to the curb, nothing that happens ever happens predictably, every twist and turn is a shocking one.

And his death is pivotal for Simon, if it wasn't for that Simon wouldn't become the person he is by the series' conclusion, and the person Simon becomes is the most important person in the universe.

I dunno, I still wasn't feeling attachment by then, personally.

Of course, like I said, the first five minutes of the final episode of Gurren Lagann redeem it completely anyway, because it's so damn epic and undoes everything I disliked about the series to that point (literally).

I dislike big robots. I facepalmed more and more as the series became a case of a person piloting a big robot piloting a bigger robot piloting a bigger robot etc. So in fact, I think I might have enjoyed that scene even more than most, due to the fact I don't like big robots. :lol:

To be honest I quit watching Gurren Lagann after

Kamina died. The first episode was good but after that he was the only reason I kept watching.

Yeah, I may be one of the few people on earth that didn't like Gurren Lagann that much. I prefer my mecha anime to be more in the style of Robotech or Gundam I guess.

Anyway I've just purchased the first episode of four different anime and now I have more anime than decision making ability. So while I realize these are all of wildly different genres which of these should is watch first? Claymore, Ergo Proxy, Clannad, or Spice and Wolf?

I don't get why Kamina gets so much hate. I mean, I have this huge pet peeve about people throwing around the term "badass" and acting as if it applies to every fucking character that goes around destroying stuff, but usually these characters are just assholes and people use the word "badass" to try and redeem them.

I'm curious. Like whom? Most badasses in anime really aren't assholes and typically are down to Earth guys/girls with minuscule character flaws(hot blooded, crazy,laid black, apathetic, and etc) . I was really scanning through my head for badasses that were assholes in terms of anime, and the only assholes that were badasses that I thought of were portrayed as villains. Unless you are including western media as well then I can name a few like Wolverine, Blade, the majority of the X-men.

@Mahzes, were you watching the episodes back to back? Remember TTGL was a weekly show. 9 episodes is 2 months of attachment.

Edited by turbojet

I'm curious. Like whom? Most badasses in anime really aren't assholes and typically are down to Earth guys/girls with minuscule character flaws(hot blooded, crazy,laid black, apathetic, and etc) . I was really scanning through my head for badasses that were assholes in terms of anime, and the only assholes that were badasses that I thought of were portrayed as villains. Unless you are including western media as well then I can name a few like Wolverine, Blade, the majority of the X-men.

I actually mean multimedia as a whole. Protagonists in anime are usually niceguys or anti-heros which are actually big softies, generally.

But in video games and western media there are tons of really assholish characters that get called badass right off the bat despite being shallow as fuck in reality.

I understand Kamina was acting and that is what I like about him. He may have had odd ways of going about it, but he was the motivation everyone needed to do their best.

That doesn't change the fact that he does it in a way I found fairly annoying, and made such stupid decisions that it's a wonder he didn't get everyone killed.

That doesn't change the fact that he does it in a way I found fairly annoying, and made such stupid decisions that it's a wonder he didn't get everyone killed.

For all we know those stupid decisions are what gave Team DaiGurren the "go get 'em" attitude that made them such a force to reckon with.

Like I said before, Kamina's actions are completely pivotal to the events of the series and the growth of the characters around him. If Kamina was written any differently, that growth wouldn't have made sense, or the series would have unfolded differently.

I stand by what I say, Kamina was perfect. *v*

Edited by SuperLink

Hey um...I'm wondering...

I watched K-ON! a couple of months back and I really enjoyed it for it's cutesy-ness and laidback slice of life style. <3 Is K-ON!! (the second season) worth a watch too?

I watched K-ON! a couple of months back and I really enjoyed it for it's cutesy-ness and laidback slice of life style. <3 Is K-ON!! (the second season) worth a watch too?

The second season is ok. Although, I'll admit, some parts of it got boring for me. What I liked about the first one compared to the second one was the character development it had.

Oh definitely, and I really can't express that enough.

Season 2 is where most of my favourite K-On moments so far have taken place. The slice of life stuff really hits home in a few episodes too. It's amazing, it's probably my favourite anime atm and each week I can't wait for the next one to come out ._.

/k-on appreciation post.

In regards to K-ON overall, I thought it was a good series. It certainly had it's cute and humorous moments. This especially goes for the first season, hence why I prefer it over the second one, but that's just me.

@Mahzes, were you watching the episodes back to back? Remember TTGL was a weekly show. 9 episodes is 2 months of attachment.

Yeah, I marathoned it back to back, which probably didn't help. Because it meant he was alive for the best part of two days for me before he got killed off.

I dunno, I still wasn't feeling attachment by then, personally.

That's pretty much why they killed him off so early, so yo wouldn't get too attached. Production staff on the show underestimated his popularity, so when the show was pretty much becoming about him they killed him off.