Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Well, as kid I watched Toonami, and I quite liked DBZ, Yu Yu Hakasho, and G Gundam, and I also liked Digimon but they didn't really give me a "love" for anime, to me they were just more cartoons. Though recently I've started watching based on recommendations. Off the top of my head I've watched all of Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood, Gurren Lagann and the movies, and the first season of TMOHS.

I watched all that stuff on Toonami back when I didn't even care to remember the names, none really caught my attention besides Yu Yu Hakusho. But I was one of those weird children who saw action and thought "this is boring, make a joke already" so I didn't care.

It wasn't until years later when Adult Swim still aired anime every morning when I was flipping through channels and found FMA. I started to enjoy that although because it was on so early in the morning I missed most episodes so I still haven't gotten the full story. That's what first got me interested in anime, and then someone recommended Gurren Lagann to me. That was when I really got into it. So they both had a big role but if I were to pick one that was more important I'd say FMA.

I watched plenty of Pokemon, Digimon and DBZ as a kid, but none of those was really my gateway, per se. What actually grabbed me, I think, was Inuyasha of all things... I think because it was the first show I ever saw on TV that actually dealt with Japanese culture and kept its Japanese opening intact. It was the first anime I ever saw that felt distinct from other cartoons in more than art style, and while it wasn't ever a real favourite of mine (the episodes were aired pretty haphazardly, so I eventually gave up), it had a lasting effect on me. I wanted more of this strange moon television.

In other news, one of the comic book stores near my house had a half-off manga sale, so I ended up picking up about eight volumes of One Piece: I initially only bought four, but I came back two weeks later and the sale was somehow still going. Mixed feelings about this, really; I love getting things for such a discount, but I feel like a bit of a moron for starting to collect such a goddamned long manga. Never mind that the only volumes they had were totally random, so I'm going to have to pay more just to fill in the gaps and get my money's worth from the ones I just bought. Feh, I hate being a collector.

I think the very first anime I saw was Pokemon. I watched Toonami too so I saw others like Big O, Yu yu hakusho (though not all of it), and Dragonball. Then there was anime that was Adult Swim that I saw but never actually fully watched until recently. FLCL, Samurai Champloo( My cousin and I wathced an episode but we're told to change the channel because it was on adult swim. Mind you we were not past 17 so that made sense. I'm still not but that has never really mattered to me.) and some others.

Plus Digimon.

Edited by Torcano

Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood, Gurren Lagann and the movies, and the first season of TMOHS.
ahh... the first season of Haruhi. Good times.

but season 2? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Thumbs Up 1

Decided it was a good time to get around to watching Mitsudomoe and Highschool of the Dead.

Mistudomoe's art style is so cute, almost to the point that it's creepy. But it actually is a pretty funny show, I really love the teacher and the sisters are already up to some wacky antics. I enjoy is a lot and can't wait to watch more.

HOTD is alright. The fanservice was really annoying although not as bad as some people made it seem. Overall it's a mixed bag, I found a lot of it to be boring but then there were moments like the girl kicking her friend down the stairs and the main character dude killing his friend that were awesome. I'm not sure if I'll be keeping up with it but it's possible.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, I fucking love HOTD's animation, it's fantastic.

Now that I've seen the first episode I went back to read some opinions in this topic and found this:

"We don't intend to forget Breasts-Butts-Thighs even in a world full of zombies"

"We want to continue adding as many breast bounces as possible"

"We think people that come to watch this anime come to watch the breasts"

"I've never seen any anime with so much breast bouncing as this one"

"The staff has gotten used to it and are bouncing those breasts without me having to say anything"

"I'm trying to make this anime in a way that I, when I was a middle schooler, would have definitely bought"

I can't even fucking words. I don't think I'll be watching it if this guy has his way with the fanservice.

Edited by Noir

Well, as most people have said, I was a fan of Pokemon, Digimono and DBZ as a kid, but I wouldn't really call them my gateway to the anime fandom.

Sonic X was sort of a middle ground in that it was the first series I actually watched in Japanese. Then Digimon Frontier and Digimon Savers, and shortly after picking up Digimon Savers, I decided to give Naruto a shot, which I suppose really set things off. From there I checked out Bleach, One Piece, and it went from there.

EDIT: HOTD sounds like it would lose me as a viewer after about five minutes. Fanservice fail. D:

Edited by Mahzes

Pretty much Bebop, actually. Never saw any show that cool before, haven't really seen one since (unless you counte bebop-with-samurai champloo)

also love FLCL, and DBZ. I think most people around our age are going (18-20 something) to have similar answers, tbh.

Samurai Champloo is pretty damn cool.

My first animes were DB, DBZ, and Pokemon...but to be honest I was younger while watching some of those and just knew them as cartoons. It didn't really make me get into anime as a whole, Digimon would be included in that too.

What really started me on some anime was Trigun and Hellsing, as those were the first anime that I watched knowing what they were. Gurren Lagann really showed me though how cool an anime could be, and its from there that I got into the works like Dead Leaves. There is a cool racing movie that looks like that called Redline that I'd really like to see. Afro Samurai is pretty awesome too, Bebop, Champloo. I was thrilled when Hellsing Ultimate got made because its more like the manga. Basically for the most part I know that the animation is gonna be crap in 90% of whatever I watch so its either gotta have cool robots, or have a cool style to pull me in. FLCL is another one that I really enjoyed, if not for just how WTF it all was without me feeling like it went overboard. Right now I'm watching Heroman cause I like Heroman's design, and that was pretty much the only reason I started watching it haha. I have watched more than that but it still pales in comparison to what a lot of people have seen. Desert Punk though is probably one of my favourite animes solely for the protagonists and just how foul it is even in the English Dub. Speaking of that, I rarely watch anything without a dub but Xam'd was cool enough to make me watch it, but I really hope that gets dubbed one day. Generally though I don't like a lot of anime because the animation is piss-poor, but I make exceptions. Trigun has some pretty bad animation in it but I love it I think because of the nostalgia factor and the fact that Vash is totally awesome. Can't wait for the movie.

The movie though was really good.

And for HOTD I've been told if it follows the manga it gets worse but will get better around episode 6. Speaking of which episode 3 is now out. Leave impressions when I watch.

Episode 2 actually had less fan service than episode 1 though.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

yeah, ep 2 was more inline with typical zombie movie stuff as opposed to ep 1's pantsu overload

Things in Highschool of the Dead are getting more interesting! The newest episode introduced a few more characters (one is a bitch who believes only the strong survive and the weak should die and one reminds me of Simon as a kid in Gurren Lagann) and I just realized one of the main characters last names is Miyamoto. Shaun of the Dead cameo for the win!

For some reason I really liked the music in this episode and the worldwide disaster deal. The characters are growing a lot and the situation is fleshing out. Still a lot of unknowns but the series is really starting to build it's foundation and story past "OMG THERE'S ZOMBIES."

Also those students are totally that teacher's bitches. I can understand the main characters having a big problem with that egomaniac and his democracy to throne himself as the leader.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

Yeah, though I didn't bother watching Season 2 until after it was over, so I just skipped most of Endless Eight.

We've entered an endless recursion of timewe've entered an endless recursion of timeentered an endless recursion of timean endless recursion of timerecursion of timetimetimetime

Edited by Ekaje

Things in Highschool of the Dead are getting more interesting! The newest episode introduced a few more characters (one is a bitch who believes only the strong survive and the weak should die and one reminds me of Simon as a kid in Gurren Lagann) and I just realized one of the main characters last names is Miyamoto. Shaun of the Dead cameo for the win!

For some reason I really liked the music in this episode and the worldwide disaster deal. The characters are growing a lot and the situation is fleshing out. Still a lot of unknowns but the series is really starting to build it's foundation and story past "OMG THERE'S ZOMBIES."

Also those students are totally that teacher's bitches. I can understand the main characters having a big problem with that egomaniac and his democracy to throne himself as the leader.

The teacher is a jerk, and the students are idiots (this doesn't include the main characters).

The teacher is fucked up, even allows them to have somewhat of an orgy and if someone doesn't want to they'll get thrown out and devoured. He had to a goody goody and "we have to save everyone" yeah right now you've got an egomaniac and a bunch of tools on your bus nice job.

And I thought you guys could've figured out from the intro a lone that this would have a lot of fanservice... though they really don't need to show zombie upskirts that's just gross...

Edited by Silencer226

So, I've been watchi Seitokai Yakuindomo. It's an Ecchi/Harem. And it has LOTS of fanservice. The girls are the perverts this time around though. It's also VERY random and funny.

20100608-SeitokaiYakuindomoshot11.jpg

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

So, I've been watchi Seitokai Yakuindomo. It's an Ecchi/Harem. And it has LOTS of fanservice. The girls are the perverts this time around though. It's also VERY random and funny.

20100608-SeitokaiYakuindomoshot11.jpg

10hiyiv.png

I have a question for all of you. What was the first anime/manga that pretty much solidified your love for the genre

Could very well be Gurren Lagann. Back when DBZ was new I was a kid and I didnt know shit about anime and manga to form an opinion on the genre as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once upon a time, I didn't hesitate to put Haruhi on my top 5 best anime ever list. The second season is literally the counter-thesis to the original, to the point that now the Haruhi anime as a whole is painfully mediocre (50% great, 50% shit).

Random thought, but all this talk of HOTD and similar moe/ ecchi/ harem shows reminded me of a funny quote in a review of Digimon Xros Wars;

"If you stop and think about it, what's more childish? An actual kids' show, or all the moe-fetish stuff aimed at the otaku hardcore?"

But yeah. It does irk me how almost every other anime out there seems to be all big boobs and cat ears/ tails. D: Crunchyroll is drowning in shows like that, dammit.

Edited by Mahzes

Actually, most of the Ecchi anime that I've watched mostly uses it for teh lolz.

Once upon a time, I didn't hesitate to put Haruhi on my top 5 best anime ever list. The second season is literally the counter-thesis to the original, to the point that now the Haruhi anime as a whole is painfully mediocre (50% great, 50% shit).

I'm exactly the same. Seriously. S2 actually moved Haruhi out of my favourites list into "shit I don't care about" just like that. Perhaps I'm being a petty fucker, but having to put up with endless eight put me off the show for life.

Excel Saga viewing update: They did the mid-show voice replacement really well. You can tell the difference, but just barely.

Edited by Tornado

Take a shot every time they say "Fuck".

This is actually my favorite anime of all time.

Black Lagoon is amazing, the characters are great and the dub is pretty fucking amazing, miles superior over the original japanese version.

I love Revy. People actually might recall me having her in my sig and avatar a few weeks ago.

I'm exactly the same. Seriously. S2 actually moved Haruhi out of my favourites list into "shit I don't care about" just like that. Perhaps I'm being a petty fucker, but having to put up with endless eight put me off the show for life.

I'm mildly interested in seeing the movie, but word.

I'm mildly interested in seeing the movie, but word.

A lot of people have been saying that the movie was fantastic, some thought it was so good that they forgave Endless Eight. And considering /a/ hates everything, if they loved this I guess they're probably right.