Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

I'm loving Chobits, it's really cute and watching Chi learn is actually pretty heartwarming. The dub is great too, except Sumomo. My god she hurts my ears XD I overall like it more than the sub though. I can definitely see the show becoming one of my favorites.

Ah Negima, oit gets better as it goes along and is still going. Yes I have kept up and now at like chapter 290-something, almost to 300!

I avoid your spoiler like the plague lol :P , even if it is probably a minor one. But yes, I've had fun reading Negima, and just placed an order for Volume 11-15. I hate how the anime makes the characters so obnoxiously annoying, I will take a nice quiet read and visualizations over a half assed anime any day. Lol I almost gave up on Negima after watching it.

I'm loving Chobits, it's really cute and watching Chi learn is actually pretty heartwarming. The dub is great too, except Sumomo. My god she hurts my ears XD I overall like it more than the sub though. I can definitely see the show becoming one of my favorites.

Good, I knew you'd like it. Sumomo is an ear rape, but you get used to it. I can't find this series anywhere for purchase, and when I do it ends up being over $100...

I really like Chobits, but my feelings toward it are... complicated. It probably has the most somber mood I've ever experienced in a romantic comedy manga, and it immerses itself deeply in psychological/philosophical elements later on, almost incessantly so and to the point where I just want to close the book and read something else. I want to read it again sometime from start to finish to see what I think of it now.

I really like Chobits, but my feelings toward it are... complicated. It probably has the most somber mood I've ever experienced in a romantic comedy manga, and it immerses itself deeply in psychological/philosophical elements later on, almost incessantly so and to the point where I just want to close the book and read something else. I want to read it again sometime from start to finish to see what I think of it now.

The anime is notably different in that regard considering the anime goes for a much more optimistic ending than the manga does, thats said the sad side stories of the other characters still stand.

While its was pretty sombre for it's time, Key based anime such as Kanon, Air and Clannad knocked the ball way out the park in a 3 way combo. No other anime delivers emotional blows quite like those shows do (Air's ending is so heartbreakingly bittersweet and Clannad pretty much masters emotional wangling in its second season)

This is a recent interview between Anime News Network and Senior Vice President of Digital Media at 4Kids Entertainment Mark Kirk, it's really worth a listen.

Well, this explains alot. Looks like 4kids rushed to buy the series without actually checking it out first. Then they realized they were stuck with a series full of blood, violence, and strong emotional themes and tried their hardest to make it fit in with their other stuff...which is geared at kids.

Smooth move guys, you single-handedly prevented one of Japan's greatest Anime series from taking off and being popular in the west. 'Greatest Fail in the Anime industry. Evur.

And it's their fault my friend thinks One Piece is bawlz. >3>

Edited by Ferno

The anime is notably different in that regard considering the anime goes for a much more optimistic ending than the manga does, thats said the sad side stories of the other characters still stand.

While its was pretty sombre for it's time, Key based anime such as Kanon, Air and Clannad knocked the ball way out the park in a 3 way combo. No other anime delivers emotional blows quite like those shows do (Air's ending is so heartbreakingly bittersweet and Clannad pretty much masters emotional wangling in its second season)

Yeah, I watched the anime later on. Its ending felt a lot more rushed than its manga counterpart, so I saw past its optimistic note and felt that it was more empty as a result.

AIR is actually my favorite anime. It has severe pacing issues compared to its sister shows (bar the Toei productions), and a lot of the stuff that happens in the TV anime just screws with your mind, requiring repeated viewings. In fact, these days I spend a good deal of time complaining about its shortcomings just as much as I praise it for its artistry and emotional strength. But AIR touched me more than Kanon and Clannad ever did (both which I still love) in ways I can't explain adequately, at least not unless I go back and watch it again. The soundtrack is perfect, and the setting and atmosphere more so. Just like how One Piece drastically affected my life, so did AIR.

I don't know why I find shows like AIR emotional and others, like SaiKano... not. SaiKano, an anime detailing the end of the world at the hands of a girl who has been biologically transformed into a weapon, felt forced. It was a cry-a-minute fuckfest that tried its damnedest to squeeze a tear out of you. AIR didn't feel like it had to try. Misuzu's relationship with her mother was simply enough.

The other series to have such a deep impact on me is Kino's Journey. That anime and its mythos single-handedly influenced the core of my creativity in my drawings and writings.

I just finished watching a subbed One Piece Strong World. And, damn, that was a great movie! You really notice that Oda worked on it! I'd love for it to come out here or in America so I could buy the DVD or better Blue-Ray ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I watched the anime later on. Its ending felt a lot more rushed than its manga counterpart, so I saw past its optimistic note and felt that it was more empty as a result.

AIR is actually my favorite anime. It has severe pacing issues compared to its sister shows (bar the Toei productions), and a lot of the stuff that happens in the TV anime just screws with your mind, requiring repeated viewings. In fact, these days I spend a good deal of time complaining about its shortcomings just as much as I praise it for its artistry and emotional strength. But AIR touched me more than Kanon and Clannad ever did (both which I still love) in ways I can't explain adequately, at least not unless I go back and watch it again. The soundtrack is perfect, and the setting and atmosphere more so. Just like how One Piece drastically affected my life, so did AIR.

I don't know why I find shows like AIR emotional and others, like SaiKano... not. SaiKano, an anime detailing the end of the world at the hands of a girl who has been biologically transformed into a weapon, felt forced. It was a cry-a-minute fuckfest that tried its damnedest to squeeze a tear out of you. AIR didn't feel like it had to try. Misuzu's relationship with her mother was simply enough.

The other series to have such a deep impact on me is Kino's Journey. That anime and its mythos single-handedly influenced the core of my creativity in my drawings and writings.

On reflection would agree - Chobits is great up to near the end where the ending did feel a bit "wuhoh almost out of time - time to cram the ending in!". Though I guess I prefer the idea of a happy ending that they went for

I have a bit of a thing for all 3 shows. Though I do love AIR, the series is a little murky on a few things which the movie managed a little better. I really like Kanon as it was the first series I saw and Ayu is adorable. Clannad is my fave though, with a dash of comedy the other 2 were a bit more reserved on plus the story. I think the only thing I did dislike about Clannad was how the imaginary world was mostly the sole basis for the happy ending but then again...

Knowing that Tomoya was the robot and the girl is Ushio, maybe watching it again while knowing that will make me appreciate that plot point better. Regardless the whole concept of Tomoya coming to terms with the death of Nagisa and how he deals with Ushio is something I adore from the series

Not seen Kino's Journey but I'm intrigued from what you've said about it so might check it out

This is a recent interview between Anime News Network and Senior Vice President of Digital Media at 4Kids Entertainment Mark Kirk, it's really worth a listen.

Well, this explains alot. Looks like 4kids rushed to buy the series without actually checking it out first. Then they realized they were stuck with a series full of blood, violence, and strong emotional themes and tried their hardest to make it fit in with their other stuff...which is geared at kids.

Smooth move guys, you single-handedly prevented one of Japan's greatest Anime series from taking off and being popular in the west. 'Greatest Fail in the Anime industry. Evur.

And it's their fault my friend thinks One Piece is bawlz. >3>

Interesting.....

I never checked out One Peace much until recently. Its a shame that it took me so long to find out about its greatness....

Ive been reading up on the Soul Eater Manga. Good so far.

Edited by Shade???

On reflection would agree - Chobits is great up to near the end where the ending did feel a bit "wuhoh almost out of time - time to cram the ending in!". Though I guess I prefer the idea of a happy ending that they went for

I have a bit of a thing for all 3 shows. Though I do love AIR, the series is a little murky on a few things which the movie managed a little better. I really like Kanon as it was the first series I saw and Ayu is adorable. Clannad is my fave though, with a dash of comedy the other 2 were a bit more reserved on plus the story. I think the only thing I did dislike about Clannad was how the imaginary world was mostly the sole basis for the happy ending but then again...

Knowing that Tomoya was the robot and the girl is Ushio, maybe watching it again while knowing that will make me appreciate that plot point better. Regardless the whole concept of Tomoya coming to terms with the death of Nagisa and how he deals with Ushio is something I adore from the series

Not seen Kino's Journey but I'm intrigued from what you've said about it so might check it out

Yeah, the AIR movie had better character development for Yukito. Way better. It even improved Vic's performance as him, who for the most part feels completely miscast as Yukito in the TV series. However, I think that's the only thing the movie really had going for it.

Kino's Journey is the best TV anime ever made. It's about the journey of an individual named Kino. YEEEAAAAAAHHH. Oh and Mushi-Shi is cool too. I love stories that involve traveling, really.

Okay, just saw Strong World.

Was definitely very good, maybe great, but fell a bit short of 'brilliant'. Action scenes, however, were brilliantly done and the movie in general was a massive feast for the eyes. As always, Zoro's fights suck and Gear Third looks like crap compared to Gear Second but gets more attention as a finishing move anyway.

Plot was nice enough, fairly basic but detailed enough to be interesting, not too complex to follow. The action scenes were brilliantly integrated into the plot, though. I'll admit, with a lot of movies, an action scene will manage to totally detach me from any and all context of what happened before, and when the dust settles and we get back to the plot, I'll often have forgotten what the hell was going on before all the action started. Not in this case, thankfully.

Was also nice to recognise a few voice actors from other places. Freiza I picked up on fairly easily, although I wrongly thought that Biri/ Billy had the same voice actor as Agumon. They did sound pretty damn similar, though.

So yeah. Very good movie. Hopefully with that out of the way and the (quite frankly, embarrassing low point for the series) war arc over, Oda can focus on redeeming the actual main manga itself. However, regardless of how good he manages to make it again, nothing can redeem the fact that One Piece has taken almost thirteen years to make very little progress plot-wise.

Edited by Mahzes

As Pixar always says, you can't rush art. D: I also saw the movie, and thought it was epic. =p I'm kinda hoping Funimation would dub it and release it here soon. :V

Also, here's an example of 4kids treatment of the series, for those who never noticed:

This is an example of Funimation's version compared to the 4kids version:

Just turn the annotations off, as this vid has a big one annoyingly covering the whole screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtWBsm4e69I&feature=related

I tried showing these to my friend, but she still thinks One Piece is bawlz.... >3>

Edited by Ferno

I cannot stand censorship. There are many times that censorship affects my view of a Anime and other things as well.

If its bad enough it'll make me lose interest in the Anime.

Edited by Shade???

I cannot stand censorship. There are many times that censorship affects my view of a Anime and other things as well.

If its bad enough it'll make me lose interest in the Anime.

Agreed. America needs to stop the bullshit and stop thinking they are protecting children by censoring stuff. It gets ridiculous when it starts to cut out important plot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed. America needs to stop the bullshit and stop thinking they are protecting children by censoring stuff. It gets ridiculous when it starts to cut out important plot.

Yea, they overdo it too much. I've been complaining about it for years and thats one of the main things that keeps me from getting dubs.

There's censorship everywhere, even in Japan. For example, One Piece is cut on TV.

Don't they have less censorship over there than in America? I understand if they censor a bit but the censorship they do over here sometimes is ridiculous.

Edited by Shade???

Yeah, but they do censor. But I think Germany is as bad or maybe worse than USA, we may have not gotten anything as bad as One Piece 4kids, but our Naruto is pretty close. DBGT had a whole bunch of episodes cut and One Piece(So does Naruto and a lot worse than OP) has dialouge censorship since episode 262. Though, starting with episode 315 (When the show moved to a different channel) it got better, except one episode (When they fight Kuma on TB, he's just trying to arrest them, but it made no sense, since he didn't take Zoro with him :-/)

Wow, I knew 4kids fucked up One Piece but I didn't know it was that bad. Super Soakers? Really?

Also I've fallen in love with downloading~ I've been tracking down dual audio videos for everything, it's so awesome to have both versions to switch between with a few clicks. And of course quality sure is better. I should probably rewatch FLCL because the stream was terrible for that.

Also I've fallen in love with downloading~ I've been tracking down dual audio videos for everything, it's so awesome to have both versions to switch between with a few clicks. And of course quality sure is better. I should probably rewatch FLCL because the stream was terrible for that.

Same here, downloading has open the doors to many Animes that I could of never gotten into before.

Its a shame that mkv types doesnt work on PS3 since I like to use my PS3 to watch Animes on the big screen and the only way I can get it there if its mkv is if its with Media Sharing with its transcode.

Edited by Shade???

Looks like Nicktoons has interests in other Funi anime besides Dragon Ball Kai.

Bricks have been shat, and if they actually end up picking up One Piece, then I'll start crappin' out cinder blocks. This is just...*breathes into paper bag* Awesome.

Though even if it's not OP, it'll still be cool, it just means that Nicktoons will start having alot more anime in the future.

I think it's sort of weird to have anime on Nick.

It's a whole lot fucking better than LOLPRETEEN DRAMA: THE SERIES

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a whole lot fucking better than LOLPRETEEN DRAMA: THE SERIES

How dare you mock my favorite show.

I just think it's strange, because when I still lived in America, Nick had no anime and Cartoon Network did and stuff. Not saying its bad, just feel weird for me.

Also, I liked Ned and Jake & Josh, though I've only watched them here in German.

Edited by MarcelloF

There's censorship everywhere, even in Japan. For example, One Piece is cut on TV.

Not quite the same censorship you're talking about, but making Zeff in One Piece lose his leg escaping from the ship rather than eating it on the island was pretty retarded.

What they did to Reborn! was also fucked up. The chameleon turns into a gun? It shoots a bullet that converts into energy and seeps into Tsuna? Seriously?

Then again, Reborn! sucks now anyway.

How dare you mock my favorite show.

I just think it's strange, because when I still lived in America, Nick had no anime and Cartoon Network did and stuff. Not saying its bad, just feel weird for me.

Also, I liked Ned and Jake & Josh, though I've only watched them here in German.

Drake and Josh was all the humor of Kenan & Kel but with white people lol. And Ned was actually a really creative premise. Now they're churning out a thousand shows about some kids who lack talent suddenly being famous despite being no different from everyone else. I guess it is kinda weird that now that CN shows pretty much no anime (Adult Swim not counting) Nick is doing it, but hey, if it gives me a reason to put my television to use then I don't care.