Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Spirited Away was my first. Ever since my aunt gave me the DVD when it came out, I've seen it dozens of times, more than any other anime movie anyway. I can't believe it's almost been ten years since its release.

FUN FACT. Shigesato Itoi, creator of the Mother series, voiced the father in Totoro. When my fellow EarthBound fan pointed this out to me, my mind was blown into pieces.

It's a toss-up between My Neighbor Totoro (To-to-ro~) and Spirited Away for me. Kiki's Delivery Service is most definitely a good movie, but it ended far too soon for my liking. And Kiki not being able to hear the cat ever again? Lame. Then again, Spirited Away's ending had something similar...

I think the original english dub actually made it so Jiji spoke again once the movie ended, but really looking back at it, Miyazaki's intent with it was really clever. Jiji was supposed to represent the "immature side" of Kiki, hence her losing the ability to hear him meant that she had matured.

Actually the first Ghibli movie I ever saw was also Spirited Away. We were going to the movies with our class as some sort of school movie festival, and that was the first movie we saw there. I adored it.

I'm actually a bit embarassed to admit but I've only seen Spirited Away twice, that one time in the movies and one night at a sleepover with a friend when a TV channel had an "Anime Night" and showed a whole deal of movies. I just never got a chance to pick it up on DVD.

I think I'll look into it next week actually. I want to see it again.

Edited by Columind

I liked Howl's Moving Castle the most of the Ghibli movies, though my favorite Miyazaki movie is actually Castle of Cagliostro.

I like it but I actually find it one of the most boring >.>

The worst is Earthsea which annoys me because the books are brilliant.

I love The Cat Returns most of all.

Spirited Away seems to be most peoples first and most peoples favourite. My first Ghibli film was Princess Mononoke.

Edited by Mollfie

Wait, I just realized I watched Princess Mononoke before Spirited Away. I actually didn't like it all that much though, so I forgot about it.

I like it but I actually find it one of the most boring >.>

The worst is Earthsea which annoys me because the books are brilliant.

I love The Cat Returns most of all.

Spirited Away seems to be most peoples first and most peoples favourite. My first Ghibli film was Princess Mononoke.

Just watched the first two episodes of Rozen Maiden. Came for the desu, stayed for the action. (And Nori's reaction to the dolls. Hilarious.)

I Read a couple of Chapters of the Durarara started Watching the Anime, Dunno about you guys but I rather like it so Far. My Favourite Character so Far being Shizuo Heiwajima.

You Just gotta give Props to a Dude dressed as a Bartender that manages to Punch a Guys clothes off (In the Anime at least).

Besides that, I really like The Animation and the OP. Certanly gonna cotinue watching that.

Anyone talked about this yet? It's very interesting as it is cute.

First time I've seen that, and I agree it does look both cute and interesting. I'd love to see it myself.

Anyone talked about this yet? It's very interesting as it is cute.

It reminds me of Land before time, but it seems like something I'd get much more enjoyment out of than LbT.

It's definitely something I'd probably check out.

I got Eden of the East on bluray Tuesday. I thought it was awesome, maybe a bit slow in some areas but overall a fun show. I can't wait to get the movies next year!

The first Ghibli movie I ever saw was My Neighbor Totoro. I got it on video from Fox when I was little :lol: It's still my favorite Ghibli movie.

It seems that they've officially decided that if you have a problem with how dirty P&S is, then they don't care.

Oh.

Mah.

Gawd.

Oh.

My.

GOD.

The underwear-stealing Ghost in the second part of ep 4 (Highschool Nudical) had the same voice actor as Jiraiya from Naruto.

SO MUCH EPIC LULZ. I mean seriously, how appropriate is that?

It's funny, he was in the Layton movie, too. He seems to be popping up a lot lately, if by sheer coincidence (since the Layton movie isn't exactly brand-new in Japan).

Also, I'm once again disappointed and somewhat sickened at how stupidly quickly the episode has been ripped and torrented. =/

Edited by Mahzes

I'd be watching it right now, but for two things:

1) I don't speak Japanese.

2) The only english subbed version of it that I've found that isn't a download is on CrunchyRoll.com, and it won't let me watch it without an account, and I don't feel like joining it.

I'd be watching it right now, but for two things:

1) I don't speak Japanese.

2) The only english subbed version of it that I've found that isn't a download is on CrunchyRoll.com, and it won't let me watch it without an account, and I don't feel like joining it.

Edited by Mahzes

Also, I'm once again disappointed and somewhat sickened at how stupidly quickly the episode has been ripped and torrented. =/

I don't see why you're making such a big fuss about it when it's the only way we'll ever see it.

The guys who upload it on torrents are the same people who sub it.

Edited by Columind
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why you're making such a big fuss about it when it's the only way we'll ever see it.

The guys who upload it on torrents are the same people who sub it.

Edited by Mahzes

Err, no.

The episodes go up legally on Crunchyroll. The people who upload the torrents just rip them from there, subtitles and all, and shove them up as torrents for people to download. They don't do shit in terms of subtitling it themselves.

Fansubs, I can see a point to. I mean, it's still illegal, but if it's their own work, they're at least putting some effort in. All groups like Horriblesubs are doing is stealing someone elses work and uploading it elsewhere.

HorribleSubs episodes of P&S go up literally about 10 minutes once an episode airs. They aren't Crunchy ripoffs, they sub on their own accord. Late Edit Uneducated bullshit disregard.

There is no benefit of paying Crunchyroll to watch these things when they essentially work on the shitty Xbox Live logic that if you dont pay you simply have to wait a week longer, and even then it'd still be free, so there's literally no point in paying. The only REAL difference is that this goes on the HDD.

Edited by Columind

HorribleSubs episodes of P&S go up literally about 10 minutes once an episode airs. They aren't Crunchy ripoffs, they sub on their own accord.

Bullshit. Sorry, but it is.

Whilst I am a Crunchyroll member anyway, I admittedly still download the Horriblesubs Naruto rips, mainly because my laptop isn't powerful enough to handle 720P streaming without lagging really badly. And guess what?

The subtitles are exactly the same, aside from the font. Oh yeah, and the fact that the Horriblesubs releases even still have the "Thanks for watching on Crunchyroll.com!" message that Crunchyroll sometimes use. Bit of a giveaway, that.

Sorry, nothing personal, Columind, but Horriblesubs don't subtitle anything themselves. It's all stolen work.

Fair enough, I didn't read into HorribleSubs prior to posting so my bad on that. All I know is that their fonts fucking hate me.

I'm still not going to wait for one fucking week for something that will become free eventually.

Edited by Columind

Yeah, but at the same time, it's never free in HD quality. If Horriblesubs ripped it in the normal, free, low quality, that wouldn't be so bad. But they're ripping and torrenting episodes in HD- which only paying members are supposed to be able to see. Also, at least watching it free on Crunchyroll, they get ad revenue.

I know, it's the Internet and piracy is rampant, but it's still a bit frustrating that even when they're proposing probably the most reasonable legal solution possible (namely 'watch it legally for free, just a week late), people still see fit to rip it anyway.

Genuine fansubs had (and still do have, in many cases, still do have) a point- They're usually shows where there's absolutely no legal means of watching a show outside of Japan, and the show may never be dubbed or released on DVD elsewhere.

Then again, I suppose this comes back to another argument regarding piracy; imagining for a second there was no way of obtaining shows illegally, what would people do? How many would pay, and how many would just not bother watching the show, instead?

Edited by Mahzes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but at the same time, it's never free in HD quality. If Horriblesubs ripped it in the normal, free, low quality, that wouldn't be so bad. But they're ripping and torrenting episodes in HD- which only paying members are supposed to be able to see. Also, at least watching it free on Crunchyroll, they get ad revenue.

I know, it's the Internet and piracy is rampant, but it's still a bit frustrating that even when they're proposing probably the most reasonable legal solution possible (namely 'watch it legally for free, just a week late), people still see fit to rip it anyway.

Genuine fansubs had (and still do have, in many cases, still do have) a point- They're usually shows where there's absolutely no legal means of watching a show outside of Japan, and the show may never be dubbed or released on DVD elsewhere.

Then again, I suppose this comes back to another argument regarding piracy; imagining for a second there was no way of obtaining shows illegally, what would people do? How many would pay, and how many would just not bother watching the show, instead?

If there was a DVD release or anything of this or any anime I'd enjoy, I'd buy it. I don't enjoy much anime, but I DID buy the Gurren Lagann boxset in America.

Anime nowadays seems to thrive on torrenting but nobody is stopping Japan or any publishers from putting their foot down when they've already done so to the manga community. HorribleSubs and CrunchySubs arent exactly Pirate Bay which is more of a general search engine. You could easily take these sites down because its not a public file service, its a service that genuinely shares anime and only anime. The thing is, right now, no one is having a problem with it as it seems.

I'm not trying to justify pirating here, and I very rarely pirate anything at all or fileshare. I dont want to turn this into a pirating subject though so I'm gonna drop this subject. Its just that with Anime and sites like Veoh and CrunchyRoll, its such a fickle deal with unlocalized stuff that its not such a big thing to throw a fuss over.

Anyway, I hope we can end this discussion now. Sorry for making a big deal out of it, bro.

Edited by Columind