Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Well, when you get around to watching the movies, be prepared for far higher production values (not that S.A.C. is an poorly done show, but the movies blow them out of the water anyways), an altogether more depressing general outlook and lots more shades of gray morality choices made throughout. I rewatched the movies at the end of last year (it having been several years since seeing the original movie, and never having seen Innocence at all), and I came away with strong impressions for both the series and the movies.

So, I sat down and watched Innocence and Ghost in the Shell (in that order). I had first watched Ghost in the Shell long before SAC came out (coincidentally, that was also the last time I have watched it), so I had forgot its tone in comparison to the series. Now, I've always viewed SAC to be a rather cynical show (even as presented through a government organization of what is essentially a police state). But shit, the first movie is so glass half-empty that it might as well be upside down in a desert and on fire. That being said, it is still quite enjoyable. Not better, not worse, but different. And its hard to put my finger on it. The fanservice is annoying, but at least they attempt to justify it (compared to some of the nonsense in SAC, season one in particular). The movie is a lot less subtle in spots than the series when it presents themes present in both, but its actually a bit more complex in some ways.

As an aside (I still haven't seen 2.0), I am glad that they kept the original dub for 2.0 and didn't just throw it out like they did with the Japanese release, because it is a quality dub with a very interesting take on the cast (barring William Knight and Richard Epcar, of course, who sound pretty much the same now as they did back then); but the lack of Crispin Freeman is troubling (I'm just not sold on Christopher Joyce, who tries hard but seems to come up just a bit short in delivery). I'm guessing there will be another version of 2.0 redubbed with the SAC cast but with both dubs on the disc at some point in the future, and I'm holding out for it.

Innocence, on the other hand, was something that I thought was more interesting having never really seen it before. Maybe it was coincidence, but I saw a lot of Season One SAC influence in it (or perhaps they both took stuff from the same pages of the manga. I've never read it, so feel free to correct me). The whole Togusa/Batou (or Bateau, I suppose) thing has the fun dialogue that was so prevalent and enjoyable in SAC (but sadly missing in 2nd Gig and particularly in Solid State Society), but wth shades of seriousness even before things get in deep.

I'm also of the opinion that the SAC stuff is some of the nicest looking anime I've ever seen, and Innocence pisses all over it. The detail in some of the stuff is of the similar absurdly high level as in the original movie, but the animation itself is much better. It really is quite fantastic. Of course, it suffers very heavily from what I call "Star Trek: The Motion Picture Syndrome," where there are multiple minutes of absolutely nothing but the production crew showing off the very flashy special effects that the put together simply for the sake of doing so, almost guaranteeing that the movie will become boring as the effects age, but for the most part things are pretty good.

I will add that I've since seen 2.0, and I really didn't like it compared to the original.

Edited by Tornado

Innocence was fantastic. I wasn't too sure what to expect going into it, but I ended up coming away quite pleased. I had to watch the whole thing twice to figure out what the fuck was going on about after about the 3/4 mark (And, you know, its GitS. That is kind of expected to happen anyways. I was actually surprised when I understood the entire plot of the original movie after one sitting.), but after that it was fine. I suppose that it also helps that it contained so much the Batou/Togusa interactions that I liked in the original S.A.C.

What a coincidence. I'm watching S.A.C. right now in hopes that I'll finally understand what's going on. When Ghost in the Shell aired on Adult Swim I only caught bits and pieces of it so I was confused as shit when it came to the overall plot.

What a coincidence. I'm watching S.A.C. right now in hopes that I'll finally understand what's going on. When Ghost in the Shell aired on Adult Swim I only caught bits and pieces of it so I was confused as shit when it came to the overall plot.

Browsing through a few shows, Oreimo I thought was nice, a little weird but doubt (and pray it doesn't go the incest route), The MM! is pretty fucked up to say the least. And I also saw Squid Girl, she wants to invade the earth... but sucks at it and ends up serving humans at a beach restaurant where she barfs ink on their noodles, D'aww. Squid Girl will probably be another shitty show I secretly like... :rolleyes:

I thought it was alright, I did get a nice little gif out of it for a new avatar. ^_^ Other than that, I want more Index... and my Soul Eater set to come in the mail, FUCK U COLUMBUS DAY!

Edit: and oh yeah, before I saw that stuff I looked at Black Lagoon, needless to say I hope the entire dvd collection goes on sale for the holidays, I've got $300 to splurge on things ranging from, clothes, to anime and gaming.

Edited by Silencer226

The only series I've watched from start to finish on TV without missing a single episode was Gurren Lagann, and I just happened to catch the first episode and became hooked. I didn't even spoil myself by watching subs online until I was done with the version I started with, and I'm so glad I didn't, it was a wild and epic ride.

It's still a favorite of mine. Awhile back I even added Kamina shades my Avatar (currently in my sig) as my own personal tribute to the series. It was supposed to be temporary but it fit so well that I kept it.

I believe BONES said that once the Soul Eater manga is over they want to redo the show anyway, so that's cool. The first half was one of the most enjoyable shows I've seen, I'm all for some more.

I have a sneaky suspicion that I already said this not long ago in this topic.

Thats good to hear. I hated the current Anime.

For something completely different, I think Funi needs some more voice actors in their stable. I spent most of the weekend watching the DBZ Kai marathon, and that shit started getting distracting.

Edited by Tornado

The only series I've watched from start to finish on TV without missing a single episode was Gurren Lagann, and I just happened to catch the first episode and became hooked. I didn't even spoil myself by watching subs online until I was done with the version I started with, and I'm so glad I didn't, it was a wild and epic ride.

It's still a favorite of mine. Awhile back I even added Kamina shades my Avatar (currently in my sig) as my own personal tribute to the series. It was supposed to be temporary but it fit so well that I kept it.

I actually finished watching it some time ago as mentioned previously in the thread, and while I really, really hated the epilogue at first, I really, really love it now. I knew this would happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHPp2NvgHA&feature=related

This is also the first scene in any cartoon or anime ever that has made me cry. And it just manages to one-up everything from there.

I got my copy of Soul Eater Part 1 in the mail today, I've seen the first 7 episodes and I think it'll be a fun show. It has an interesting take on the Grim Reaper's personality though... yeah.

I watched Wolf's Rain from start to finish. Twice. It still never started making any more sense.

Shinigami-sama is the coolest grim reaper ever.

I am actually going to say yes to this. :P

I stopped at episode 26, I can't afford to buy Part 3 and 4 until November, but the first half was really nice. I also bought 2 of the Soul Eater manga, it's good as well, it doesn't mind showing off the fanservice , but not as bad a Negima. Overall I'm going to continue this series later, and look at Eden of the East, Pandora Hearts and Canaan when they arrive within the next two weeks... as you can tell I put gaming on a hiatus, the last game I bought was F.E.A.R. 2 and it was awesome.

I watched the first episode of Panty and Stocking last night, I don't think I've ever seen a worse case of "trying too hard".

Shut yo' mouth! I love it lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

I watched the first episode of Panty and Stocking last night, I don't think I've ever seen a worse case of "trying too hard".

0.jpg

Speaking of P&S; new episode goes live in 34 minutes. Expect a sub in about an hour.

I'll be watching it the second it goes up. :P Yay, Crunchyroll accounts do have some use after all.

Well, that and the morality of not stealing animus. =< The ones on Crunchyroll at least. D:

Edited by Mahzes

Um... yeah... is all I can say about what I just saw in the latest P & S. :mellow:

Ghost sperm... really. Slightly better than the 2nd episode, I hope they can do better than this down the line...

Edited by Silencer226