Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Just got out of the new Pokemon movie since I'm in Japan for a week.

It wasn't bad but I thought it wasn't as good as some of the other movies. It felt rushed, especially the climax since it looks like Mewtwo and Genesect and gearing up for a final battle, they go into space...and that's it.,Mewtwo's voice did grow on me though and I though the Pikachu short before the main movie was pretty cute

They also teased a Pokemon X & Y movie for next year. It was expected though since they got the main anime series for it as well.

That just makes me wonder why on earth the director thought a new Mewtwo would "make it better." They could have had the exact same story except without fucking up continuity.

From what I've read in the previous posts, sounds like this may be the first saga in which I disliked all of the movies(Movie's 14-16).

I'll still give it a chance when it airs over here in the US.

So.........Anyone one gonna watch the episode with a couple of X + Y Pokemon, honestly I care more about the upcoming episode than anything else this silly anime is dishing out.

You know at the this point I think we should just change the topic title to just "Pokemon Anime General Discussion" because that other part is so irrelevant now it hurts, lol.

And yeeeaash, if the movies as lame as im hearing, it looks like the trend of having no good Pokemon movies since AG continues.

Edited by Gryo Man

To guys who got a chance to watch it in Japan: is there an intro where various legendary mons are shown? They haven't made once since zoroark movie(((((

The story for the movie does sound lame. The times of developed stories and some sort of continuity for pokemon are over, unfortunately. Makes absolutely no sense for another Mewtwo to exist and to create a backstory for it that is an almost exact replica of M1. Bullshit.

I still like the anime itself, it's just the movies that have dropped the ball imo. Which is sad, they used to be at least decent, with the occasional awesome one (the Lucario one in particular).

EDIT:

The times of developed stories and some sort of continuity for pokemon are over, unfortunately.

The show had various flashbacks to episodes from ten years ago recently when Charizard returned, which makes this whole Mewtwo thing kind of hilarious. It's a little strange how they sometimes forget things, but other times seem to remember even the smallest details.

I'll give the Mewtwo movie a shot, but it is rather disappointing that they've actively decided to forget the original Mewtwo.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 3

And they didn't explain the new forme at all then I'm guessing?

As expected, I'm thinking there's probably not much chance the games will either then, besides Giratina none of the new formes have really been given much of an explanation.

And they didn't explain the new forme at all then I'm guessing?

As expected, I'm thinking there's probably not much chance the games will either then, besides Giratina none of the new formes have really been given much of an explanation.

I really doubt that Mewtwo will even appear in the new games. They will probably give away via wi-fi either Mewtwo in the new form or an item to turn him into it and just say that its a new and powerfull form of an old Pokémon.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Hell, even the manga for the movie does a kindness in referencing old characters. It has a picture of Misty and Brock in a collage image when they have no reason being in it other than also being in Movie 1 and Mewtwo Returns.

790151705.jpg?1373726523

Hilariously, M1 Mewtwo isn't even that scan either.

There was something posted in Serebii forums. Its really interesting . Someone suggested that a headcanon being Ash is playing dumb that he doesn't know Mewtwo because he promised the original to never reveal its existence.

To guys who got a chance to watch it in Japan: is there an intro where various legendary mons are shown? They haven't made once since zoroark movie(((((.

Not that I recall. It was the usual narration about the world of Pokemon.

Not that I recall. It was the usual narration about the world of Pokemon.

Hell, what a shame! Did they get lazy or something? We haven't seen any old legendaries in movies' intros since Zoroark movie! I miss all other legendaries sad.png.

Edited by ArtFenix

Oh this is fucking rich (from the scriptwriter's Twitter):

@tomorin0326: If this different individual is a different individual, who created it and how?
@sonodahideki: Bothersome. Watch your mouth!
@tomorin0326: To be frank, I did not think you were looking at this! But yeah, as a Mewtwo fan, I'm just curious/anxious! Because I like Mewtwo!
@sonodahideki: Compliments are fine. Praise.

So someone asks who created Newtwo and why, with no shred of malice...

...and gets the tame equivalent of "Shut the fuck up" as an answer.

Yep, my dislike for this movie just keeps rising and rising. The scriptwriter sounds like a writer/artist who flips their shit if they receive any feedback that isn't 100% praise.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 5

@sonodahideki: Bothersome. Watch your mouth!

@sonodahideki: Compliments are fine. Praise.

MwZr3kn.jpg

Oh, fuck off. You shit all over the continuity and Takeshi's work and you want praise?

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 5

Some details from Dogasu:

• The artwork is kind of hit and miss.  New Tork City looks absolutely gorgeous and the fight scenes between the Red Genosect and Myuutwo look great, but, like in the previous movie, Iris is off-model for a large portion of the movie.  The Rocket-Dan have moments where they're drawn kind of funky as well.  The background music is pretty cool and does a decent job of emphasizing what's going on on-screen, whether it's a peaceful moment in the park or a high-stakes battle above a high-tech city.
  • The plot is very close to the manga version, so read my summaries of that first.  There are some differences (which I'll get into in a later update), but for the most part the movie played out exactly as it did in the manga.
  • The producers of the movie played around with the format a bit.  Usually it's Pikachu the Movie logo → World of Pokemon segment cold opening Pocket Monsters logo Movie logo Satoshi and his friends opening theme, but this time they rearranged that.  In this year's movie, it goes Pikachu the Movie logo cold opening Movie logo World of Pokemon segment Satoshi and his friends opening theme.  It was...kind of weird.
  • Myuutwo can transform into its Awakened form at any time, right from the beginning.  Which contradicts what was in the manga, but, like I said, I'll get to that later.  We're never given any explanation about why it can transform, when it was first able to do this, or anything.  It just transforms because it can.
  • At the beginning, Myuutwo decides to fly up as high as it can to overcome its limits, probably to foreshadow the end of the film where it kind of does the same thing with the Red Genosect.  It gets high enough for frost to start appearing on its body before it reverts back to its regular form and then heads back toward the earth.
  • The Plasma-Dan is never actually mentioned by name; all we see are a few grunts and the door with the Plasma-Dan logo on it during a flashback sequence early in the movie.
  • When Satoshi and his friends arrive at Pokemon Hills, Dent talks about how lucky (ラッキー) they are that they get to see this facility before it's opened to the public.  Satoshi gets excited and thinks Dent's saying that there's a Lucky (also ラッキー) in the area, prompting Iris to chastise him for being ridiculous.  And then, as if to make Iris look stupid, an actual Lucky walks by!  The same pun is repeated again with the Rocket-Dan later in the movie.
  • The opening theme to the movie is Natsu-meku Sakamichi, same as in the TV series.  During this time, everyone lets out their pokemon and lets them get the only screentime a lot of them will have.  Satoshi's team is Pikachu, Mijumaru, Tsutarja, Charbu, Hahakomori, and Lizardon.  Also, a bunch of Ishizumai find Dent's Iwapalace and start to fanboy / fangirl over it, presumably because Iwapalace is this cool evolved pokemon.  They then start to follow Iwapalace around the park.
  • There's this really funny scene where Satoshi is asking Genosect if it's lost.  He says the word for lost child - maigo (迷子) - but it seems like Genosect doesn't understand what that means.  So, after thinking for a minute, he stands up and shouts ""Mo~m!?  Mo~m!?  Where are you?" - Y'know, someone like that." It was a really funny moment that only Satoshi can give us.
  • I've seen people describe Myuutwo as being able to slow down time, but I think those people are misinterpreting things.  The way I see it, those slow motion scenes are just bullet time - that is, slowing everything else down to show how much faster Myuutwo is than everything around it.  I think the idea here is that Myuutwo is moving around so fast that we can't actually see it unless things are slowed down for us.
  • Satoshi does not indicate that he doesn't know what a Myuutwo is; he simply says omae wa... (おまえは...), which is most likely supposed to be "You're..."  Now this can be interpreted as "Who are you?," but even if you did go that route you could easily explain that away by saying that Satoshi recognizes that this isn't the same Myuutwo from the first movie and is therefore asking who this Myuutwo is.
  • The Rocket trio is in this movie, and they're actually in-character, which is nice.  And, despite what it says in the end credits, their Sonansu does not appear in the main movie.  I guess whoever typed those up was thinking about the Pikachu short at the time?  Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fixed for the DVD / Blu-ray.
  • So, Myuutwo's origin!  There are reports that Myuutwo kills the scientists who created it, which means the writer of this movie is blatantly ripping off the first movie, and is contradicting the prologue (which would be weird since both this movie and the prologue were written by the same guy) but their death is never 100% confirmed.  We see Myuutwo's eyes glow, an explosion, and then we see one of the glasses the scientists were wearing lying on the floor while flames are reflected in the glass. It actually reminds me a lot of Hunter J's final scene in Diamond & Pearl, for what that's worth.  The thing is, in both these cases, this isn't definitive proof that the owner of the glasses are dead, and it's still completely plausible that they escaped with their lives and later hired Dunk to go after Myuutwo.  It's also possible that they actually did die, though, and that Mr. Honoda is a really shitty writer.  It could go either way.
  • The little girl and boy who own the Yoshioka Kiyoe Eevee are Yukino (ユキノ) and Natsuki (ナツキ).
  • So, about Yamirami...it is the one who tells Satoshi and his friends about the Genosect taking over Pokemon Hills, and it helps create the cushion of water that helps break Myuutwo's and the Red Genosect's fall at the end of the movie, but other than that it just spends the entire movie looking cute.
  • Contrary to reports online, there are no scenes in the movie reminiscent of the terrorist attacks on the U.S. on 9/11.  There's a single shot of the entire city on fire (Eric's explaining what could happen if the Genosect are allowed to continue running rampant), but that's it.  A 9/11 reference would be two twin towers on fire (not the entire city), or a flying object crashing into a skyscraper and causing it to fall down in a very specific way, or a flying object crashing into a pentagon-shaped building...but this movie doesn't have any of those.  Just a single shot of a city with smoke coming out of it.
  • The Tokui Kenta Ishitsubute barely appears in the movie.  Eric, on the other hand, has tons of lines and actually contributes to the plot.  I think it's obvious which member of Heisei Nobushi Kobushi is the most popular.
  • The Genosect end up making their home in a valley somewhere where the Ortus Flowers still bloom, not in New Tork City.  You can see the RV that Eric drove everyone in in the background, and the area is surrounded by canyons, not skyscrapers like it would be if they were still in the city.
  • The BW rivals, N, and the BW Gym Leaders (including the B2W2 ones) all appear in the movie's end credits.

This...this movie can't be bad.

It has friggin' Mewtwo fighting against a giant gene-spliced monster insect through a gorgeous metropolis! How can any movie featuring that be bad?

I don't want it to be baaaaaaaaaaaaaad! ;_;

The Mewtwo we see isn't the same guy we saw kick ass in M01. I'm not talking about character derailment, I mean it's LITERALLY another Mewtwo.

Never mind the fact that M01 and MR pretty much established making another Mewtwo was impossible without pulling bullshit from thin air.

Also, M01 may or may not be retconned. It's weird over at Serebii: "M01's retconned! No it's not! Look, he doesn't know what a Mewtwo is! No, it's ambiguous! That's better right? No it's not ambiguous! STFU about this guys."

And Genesect (all five of them) is yet

ANOTHER "misguided" Pokémon. After Mewtwo, Deoxys, Darkrai, Giratina, Zoroark AND Kyurem had this, the "he is Pokémon, he do no wrong" schtick was tiresome, hamfisted and repetitive. The battle ends anticlimactically: Mewtwo takes Red into space, pass out from no oxygen, see a sunset, SOMEHOW see that as "you all have purpose", fall back down, Red says "EVERYONE IS MY FRIEND" (I'm dead fucking serious, I quoted that verbatim) and everyone easily forgives him in a way I thought only Goku could do.

The animation's good, but it's pretty much expected to be a thing in these by this point, and the plot is a Madlib version of Destiny Deoxys (in fact every movie nowadays seems to be a past movie but with characters and locatons changed).

We got a poster for the XY anime.

970129_489706187782340_1934807895_n.jpg

Sycamore excluding, Ash is alone in this one. To compare, the first Pokemon DP poster had Paul and Dawn, while for Best Wishes, Iris and Cilan were mentioned as main characters before any Best Wishes poster was released.

So maybe Ash is going alone this time unless Sycamore's going with him. :|

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hmmmm, an Ash solo Region treck sounds interesting, but im not going  to hold my breath until it's confirmed.

I don't think I posted about it when the design was revealed, so I'm just going to say now that I really like Ash's new design, dang.

Anyhow, I doubt he'll be travelling alone. It'd be cool if the group travelling with the player character in X&Y were his companions, first time it'd be three through the whole region rather than two with a third sometimes joining them for a few episodes every once in a while.

Low quality version of the clip shown at Pokemon Smash:

lol @ Ash screaming into the heavens about how he's going to be the Kalos region champion, and everyone around the tarmac just gives him wtf glances.

Aww @ Fennekin's red ear-hair thingies lighting up when it sneezes!

• Thumbs Up 5

Hmm, I wonder if he's going to have all three starters again. If he just gets one, I'm hoping for Chespin since it's my favourite /shameless bias

Edited by ElementofChaos