Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Ha, he won't even make it to the league this time!  

HOW'S THAT FOR INNOVATION?! 

This would make me interesting in the series again. I know some members on the serebii forums would be blowing fumes if this was to happen

Why cant Ash go back to Diamond and Pearl levels? He actually knew how to raise and train Pokemon T_T.

Ash's skill level

Kanto = Unova 

Johto = Kalos

Hoenn = Next Region

Sinnoh = Next Next Region

Relevant?

Why cant Ash go back to Diamond and Pearl levels? He actually knew how to raise and train Pokemon T_T.

Because that's called character development, and we can't have that now can we. Gotta advertise them Pokemons after all, so Ash must be whatever the fuck the creators will him to be.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

Well at least they brought back Charizard, do they havent totally forgetten character development, at the very least they acknowledged it existed.

Well at least they brought back Charizard, do they havent totally forgetten character development, at the very least they acknowledged it existed.

which leads back to marketing. Charizard is popular which is why it appears. Torkoal, Muk, and Kingler aren't so they practically disappeared .

Its also why Ash's Pokemon tend to not evolve, ya know the final evolutions not being "cute" and marketable.

That was always an issue with the show, but it was really noticable with Gen 5 where Unfezant, Levanny, and Krookidle where his only fully evolved Pokemon. Like there was no reason why Snivy couldn't evolve or Oshawott at least become Dewott, but nope gotta stay cute to pull in ratings.

That always irked the hell out of me as a kid; like Charizard evolved, so why not Squirtle & Bulbasaur? Pikachu I can accept because they at least gave it a legit reason, Bulbasaur just kinda copied it but with none of the justification, and Squirtle just didn't have a reason.

Like I see these Pokemon beating fully evolved ones, and I'm like "That's not how it supposed to work"

That always irked the hell out of me as a kid; like Charizard evolved, so why not Squirtle & Bulbasaur?

Ash being based off Red, and Charizard being the mascot of Pokemon Red. Just a way to solidify the connection; it's the reason why Gary has Blastoise.

Yeah, Charizard is often represented as Red's Starter or Main Pokemon aside from Pikachu, Blues/Green with Blastoise, and Leaf with Venasaur (kinda fits being the name Leaf and all)

Anyway, I'm so so so so much in all excitement for this new anime series, one without that failure Ash in it.

You know, at one point I may write a huge introspective on Ash's character go actually see if hes as colossal of a failure as people seem to think he is, hell I may give it a shot once my internet starts working again.

Like I see these Pokemon beating fully evolved ones, and I'm like "That's not how it supposed to work"

Ehhhh, I never minded this aspect of the not evolving thing at all, actually. Yes, it's annoying that they don't really justify it other than Pikachu, but the anime obviously doesn't take into account concepts that only make sense from a gameplay perspective (levels, and to an extent stats in general).

Then again I don't really care about any of the "THIS ISN'T LIKE THE GAMES!" moments in the anime, so maybe I'm just too easygoing :P

Okay, that new English episode this morning, WTF seriously. Oshawott get's the crap beaten out of it by that Dewott, and it somehow still wins by a one shot K.O..

Jeezus, what the heck is up with this show. 

That's not even the weirdest part, the fact that Ash seemed to understand Oshawott was in love, as in not wanting a "friend" was jarring as fuck.

That's not even the weirdest part, the fact that Ash seemed to understand Oshawott was in love, as in not wanting a "friend" was jarring as fuck.

Oh yeah theirs that too, Ash is normally damn oblivious to love (and girls in general), so hearing him say stuff like that did caught me by surprised.

I doubt Ash will ever be interested in Girls, not as long as he stays 12 and never ages. 

Which is why he always needs compainons so he doesnt get lost and starve to death in the middle of a forest.

I'll enjoy watching this, looks pretty sweet and its nice to have a fresh anime take on it.

Meanwhile ill also enjoy the original anime and be the only one not shitting on it because its not this.

People don't it because it's not like the games. People hate it because the main character is a fucking retard, is constantly rehashing old concepts, paced horribly, is mostly filler, and most of the rivals are horrible as well (Paul uuuurrrrghhhhh)

Oh yeah, and also the fact that ASH HAS YET TO WIN A FUCKING LEAGUE GODDAMMIT

• Thumbs Up 1

Paul wasn't awesome because he was a good character (and he certainly wasn't one), he was awesome because he was an onscreen interpretation of the way competitive battlers play the games.

Again "retard" is an exaggeration, filler is a problem in Johto and Sinnoh (even then Sinnoh tends to space it oh with actual plot relevant episodes) but otherwise its fine and nicely paced as a result. Of course some concepts will be reused because that's Pokemon in the grand scheme, each new gen takes the basic concepts of the last one and retools it with a diffrent look and feel.

And ill said before and ill say it again, say what you want about Paul as a character, but he was a great rival for Ash and did tons to help his character develop.

And id say winning the Orange League, beating the Battle Frontier and getting in the Top 4 in Sinnoh are fine accomplishments on their own.

Edited by Soniman

I don't even hate the anime, I just find it boring and formulaic with an extremely shallow main character with only marginally less shallow supporting characters.

It's a good merchandise driven kiddy series, but not something I'd say has some real quality aside from the battles. I probably just outgrew it but the anime never really tried to expand and develop, probably to keep it accessible for kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ash may be a fucking horrible trainer, but you have to hand it to him - he's travelled over five continents and hasn't even reached his eleventh birthday.

The thing is, Ash is a good trainer. That's what makes his losses so jarring to me. Just look at some of his battles in Leagues other than Unova, he's actually pretty great! It's just, the writers just find contrived ways to make him lose because of...whatever excuse they'd give, I dunno.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 1

The thing is, Ash is a good trainer. That's what makes his losses so jarring to me. Just look at some of his battles in Leagues other than Unova, he's actually pretty great! It's just, the writers just find contrived ways to make him lose because of...whatever excuse they'd give, I dunno.

By the end of the series, he is. At the start of every goddamn region he ends up resetting to the same incompetence he had at the very start.  And this lasts all the way throughout the region, until they realise "oops, we can't have this guy competing in leagues!" Ash was infinitely more competent in Kanto and Johto than the rest of the following regions. It's like he hits his head every time he heads over to a new region in addition to giving up all his Pokémon. I watched Best Wishes after hearing how great it was, and I ended up closing it immediately when Ash lost to a fucking starter Pokémon. This guy has competed in high-profile leagues, traveled over five regions, beaten dozens of gym leaders, and has the experience of hundreds of battles, and he lost to some kid who'd never even participated in a Pokémon battle before, because the writers are convinced that Ash has to be a goddamn idiot to be likeable.

I really hope they don't screw this new anime up. This could be the first Pokémon episode worth watching in years.

Ash was infinitely more competent in Kanto and Johto than the rest of the following regions.

The Battle Frontier? Most of Sinnoh? And seriously, the Kanto arc as an example of him being competent? Have you watched those gym battles lately?

They REALLY dropped the ball in B&W in terms of Ash, I'll admit that. But what I've seen of the Unova arc s enjoyable...I still need to catch up minus the League which I will skip because FUCK. I just hope they could do better in Kalos, but...eh. We'll see, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2