Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Golem used Magnitude on Charizard.

This fight is off to a lovely start.

spoiler alert. Charizard survives to battle Blastoise.

"Charizard! Burn the field!"

Meanwhile Blastoise stands completely still. Gary makes no move at all. Everyone's just watching him do this going "durrr I wonder what his strategy is lol".

"Charizard! Burn the field!"

Meanwhile Blastoise stands completely still. Gary makes no move at all. Everyone's just watching him do this going "durrr I wonder what his strategy is lol".

Best part of the episode. Ash is considered a genius

The DBZ syndrome its called Blaze.

Same result:"What's that, our hero is down for the count but watch as he finds some hidden resolve from nowhere and completely ass rapes his opponent"

How is it out of nowhere when it had a perfectly legitimate reason to activate when it did?

Same result:"What's that, our hero is down for the count but watch as he finds some hidden resolve from nowhere and completely ass rapes his opponent"

What do you want then? Its an ability every fire starter has.

It not like they decided to introduce that in the precise moment he was going to lose without any explanation.

Paul shoud have expected it.

It not like they decided to introduce that in the precise moment he was going to lose without any explanation.

Not only that but it was Chimchar's many development since it first appeared.

How is it out of nowhere when it had a perfectly legitimate reason to activate when it did?

Because its a pretty convenient way to turn a battle around he was otherwise losing.

You're right, Paul should have expected it, but he didn't. I'm not against the ability itself, just how it was used as a Dues Ex Machina to help Infernape win.

Because its a pretty convenient way to turn a battle around he was otherwise losing.

You're right, Paul should have expected it, but he didn't. I'm not against the ability itself, just how it was used as a Dues Ex Machina to help Infernape win.

If I recall I don't think that Paul ever saw Infernape master the ability I think he still thought that he wasn't able to master it yet

So we complain about how Ash always loses but when he does legitimately win it's okay to pull a really weak "deus ex machina" card? Okay then.

As Shy Guy said Blaze was a major factor of Chimchar's character that was built up throghout the entire series, it doesn't "come out of nowhere" and therefore is in no way a Deus Ex Machina.

Not to mention Ash wasn't losing by that wide of a margin anyway, they both only had one Pokemon left, the Blaze was just a way of making Ash's victory a ton more exiting and fulfilling that a simple flamethrower or something. Think of it as a flashy finishing move.

• Thumbs Up 1

So we complain about how Ash always loses but when he does legitimately win it's okay to pull a really weak "deus ex machina" card? Okay then.

Patronizing me isn't helping your argument.

As Shy Guy said Blaze was a major factor of Chimchar's character that was built up throghout the entire series, it doesn't "come out of nowhere" and therefore is in no way a Deus Ex Machina.

I just said I wasn't against the ability itself and more on how it was used in that fight. And yes, it is a Dues Ex Machina because of how convenient it helps Infernape win. I never said it was bad writing, just that I personally didn't like it.

Not to mention Ash wasn't losing by that wide of a margin anyway, they both only had one Pokemon left, the Blaze was just a way of making Ash's victory a ton more exiting and fulfilling that a simple flamethrower or something. Think of it as a flashy finishing move.

So this means I have to like it? From a DBZ Rule of Cool standpoint, its fine, but from my own objective standpoint, its not very good strategy.

I see it as necessary evil because you're right, a simple flamethrower wouldn't be very exciting to watch, but it still annoys the hell out of me when I see it.

Edited by Not!Dante

Infernape was "forced" to use it.

Whenever a fire starter has less than or equal to ⅓ of its maximum HP remaining the ability activates itself. Thats how it works.

The writters worked with that, its not something they decided to do for him to win in the last moment, its something that happens naturally with any fire starter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Infernape was "forced" to use it.

Whenever a fire starter has less than or equal to ⅓ of its maximum HP remaining the ability activates itself. Thats how it works.

The writters worked with that, its not something they decided to do for him to win in the last moment, its something that happens naturally with any fire starter.

But we have to look at it in the other way as well. There are times when pokemon like fire starter, water starters and grass starters are near the point of fainting and the ability does not activate. I for one haven't seen Pignite, Snivy, or Oshawott activiate their abilities. Let alone I don't think Overgrown as been shown in the anime. And Torrent I believe was used by Barry's Empoleon.

But we have to look at it in the other way as well. There are times when pokemon like fire starter, water starters and grass starters are near the point of fainting and the ability does not activate. I for one haven't seen Pignite, Snivy, or Oshawott activiate their abilities. Let alone I don't think Overgrown as been shown in the anime. And Torrent I believe was used by Barry's Empoleon.

Overgrow was already used in the anime by Ash's Grovyle/Sceptile.

AytJRbK.png

I don't know about the Unova Pokémon since I never really followed the BW series.

Edited by Tmsp

Yep, don't really disagree here.

The only real peice of character develop comes from Gary not being a total douchenozzle to Ash anymore and respecting his skills as a Pokemon trainer. Other than it there was not much else, you're just supposed to be enthralled by the fact that Ash and Gary finally have a match together.

So I just watched the Paul vs. Ash fight, and it was... actually pretty legit. 

It started out kind of weak "____! Use ____!" "Dodge it ____! Now counter it with a _____!", but once Paul and Ash started using their actual strategies, things quickly took a huge turn for the better. I love clever shit like what was used in this battle.

Using Dig and then Fire Blast to consume the Toxic Spikes and attack a Pokemon in midair? Pretty clever. Kudos, Ash.

Using Thunder on the ground to create an explosion, with the shower of rocks being used to beat up the opponent's Pokemon? Awesome. Nice job, Paul.

Using Iron Tail to create a gust of wind that'll blow the hail away? Good idea. You're doing alright, Ash.

etc.

I mean, it wasn't genius or anything, but it was actually pretty good. I enjoyed watching it, and not once did I stop and think "oh my god are you fucking kidding me" like I was every two seconds during the Ash vs. Gary fight. 

On top of that, the commentary by Brock towards the end about Paul and Ash being two sides of the same coin, and fighting tooth and nail in order to win what had essentially became a battle of ideals was interesting. They unfortunately didn't capitalize on it for some extra room for character development and analysis, but the idea was there, and I liked that.

Is it fair to call this the best fight in the whole show? That's the vibe I'm getting so far. It's not saying much at all, but hey, it's something.

Damn shame this has to be the exception instead of the rule; shows to me that at least one person working on the show actually does know how to come up with engaging, interesting battles. Yet for whatever reason this doesn't ever happen.

• Thumbs Up 6

Unlike Gary and Ash, this was a rivalry that had constant focus throughout the series to that point. An exact fight like this occurred earlier but ended in Paul's favor and a defeated Ash had to learn and grow form it to get where he was at that point in order to defeat Paul.

It's moments like these where I don't agree with the census that claim DP to be the worst series (personally I think that goes to Johto easily) but what can you do.

So I just watched the Paul vs. Ash fight, and it was... actually pretty legit. 

It started out kind of weak "____! Use ____!" "Dodge it ____! Now counter it with a _____!", but once Paul and Ash started using their actual strategies, things quickly took a huge turn for the better. I love clever shit like what was used in this battle.

Using Dig and then Fire Blast to consume the Toxic Spikes and attack a Pokemon in midair? Pretty clever. Kudos, Ash.

Using Thunder on the ground to create an explosion, with the shower of rocks being used to beat up the opponent's Pokemon? Awesome. Nice job, Paul.

Using Iron Tail to create a gust of wind that'll blow the hail away? Good idea. You're doing alright, Ash.

etc.

I mean, it wasn't genius or anything, but it was actually pretty good. I enjoyed watching it, and not once did I stop and think "oh my god are you fucking kidding me" like I was every two seconds during the Ash vs. Gary fight. 

On top of that, the commentary by Brock towards the end about Paul and Ash being two sides of the same coin, and fighting tooth and nail in order to win what had essentially became a battle of ideals was interesting. They unfortunately didn't capitalize on it for some extra room for character development and analysis, but the idea was there, and I liked that.

Is it fair to call this the best fight in the whole show? That's the vibe I'm getting so far. It's not saying much at all, but hey, it's something.

Damn shame this has to be the exception instead of the rule; shows to me that at least one person working on the show actually does know how to come up with engaging, interesting battles. Yet for whatever reason this doesn't ever happen.

The battle of ideals was touched at various stages in the whole DP saga. This battle was just the climax of said battle. Look into their first full battle at Snowpoint City. As a matter of fact look into the whole Snowpoint city arc. Paul's method of training has to do with an encounter with Brandon the Froniter brain.

Unlike Gary and Ash, this was a rivalry that had constant focus throughout the series to that point. An exact fight like this occurred earlier but ended in Paul's favor and a defeated Ash had to learn and grow form it to get where he was at that point in order to defeat Paul.

It's moments like these where I don't agree with the census that claim DP to be the worst series (personally I think that goes to Johto easily) but what can you do.

In hindsight, Johto is pretty bad. I didn't really hate DP, just things about it.

In hindsight, Johto is pretty bad. I didn't really hate DP, just things about it.

I like the theme songs, it gives me good memories of the series which aren't even there in the first place.

I think I only really like the Pokemon League and some of the Gym Battles, and maybe the odd filler episode (especially the ones where Todd Snap returns).

Edited by Soniman

I like the theme songs, it gives me good memories of the series which aren't even there in the first place.

I think I only really like the Pokemon League and some of the Gym Battles, and maybe the odd filler episode (especially the ones where Todd Snap returns).

The first season was good. The second season dragged way to long with only the Morty Arc being interesting. Master Quest was interesting especially the Whirl Island arc and from phanpy forward.

Yea, nostalgia is a powerful thing, but I don't really remember what I particularly loved about it too.

I'll give the DP era one thing in that the series got a lot better about its battles at that point, shit like Thunder Armor was out and actual strategy was used in the battles, and this carried over to BW. 

The music and lyrics are good, though the singer does sound a bit...off, I guess.

Oh look, every single main character ever is in the ending. Needs more endings like that. Oh hai TR Delibird!

Lawl Misty's wearing her Kanto attire. OH SHIT TOGETIC.

WhythefuckisPaulholdinghands.

Where's Tracey's Marill sad.png.

Oh hey, Pidgeot's in the final image with EVERYTHING in it.

All in all, a very nostalgic showing. It really gives a "Yep, we're done with Unova now. Sayonara" vibe to it.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

The music and lyrics are good, though the singer does sound a bit...off, I guess.

Oh look, every single main character ever is in the ending. Needs more endings like that. Oh hai TR Delibird!

Lawl Misty's wearing her Kanto attire. OH SHIT TOGETIC.

WhythefuckisPaulholdinghands.

Where's Tracey's Marill sad.png.

All in all, a very nostalgic showing. It really gives a "Yep, we're done with Unova now. Sayonara" vibe to it.

Corphish instead of Squirtle? They fucked up.

And why does Brock have Onyx? It evolved.

And yeah, this is really nostalgic, but it gives more a "We're done with Pokémon now" vibe with that ending than just Unova.