Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

I always find myself thinking of if I liked Dawn or May more, they have a lot of similarities, but also share quite a few differences as well...

May, hands down. Maybe it's because she debuted before Dawn, and she was actually very different from Misty. She also got some character development during the story, something that seems to be a hit-and-miss with Ash.

Edited by Duck Avenger

May, hands down. Maybe it's because she debuted before Dawn, and she was actually very different from Misty. She also got some character development during the story, something that seems to be a hit-and-miss with Ash.

Well in terms of contest. May was the test run. Dawm was the contests done right. In other words May sort of copied Ash's style and won contests with brute power. Dawn on the other hand used style to win contests.

If I'm honest, I find Brock & Misty massively overrated. Why? Because they had the longest tenure on the show, but what did they even do? You can count the number of episodes that focused on them on one hand. They were merely tagalongs for most of Johto with hardly any development, especially Brock by the time DP came around. 

Nostalgia is one hell of a thing.

Yeah, if there was a Arc that pretty much made me skinda sick of Brock and Misty, it was the bloated ass Johto Season. It's not that they were bad, they just didn't really add anything of worth.The only episodes that did anything for Misty was the Whirl Cup tournament (which she lost of course, can't have the main characters win any tournaments after all). And the only Brock ceneterd episode I recall is when he gave back the Vulpix that he never used anyway.

I suppose that's why I consider Advance Generation my favorite Series. Not only was May (and even to Dawn to a more/less exent) a much needed breath of fresh air. She had development, a constant goal that ran concurrentley with Ash's, shared wins and losses, ad developed stratiges and such. Not to mention it gave Ash a chance to show his growth as a mentor to May as well. Brock was still around not doing much but hey, he's cool and provides the big brother act as always.

Plus even if Misty is gone, at least she's finally doing smomething of worth, and her guest appearence in AG had her FINALLY get rid of that fucking Togepi (which was promplty replaced with a Azurill, but still).

Edited by Soniman

I like May the best personally. It was funny how she was always obsessed with restaurantsbiggrin.png plus I liked her personality overall. I think part of why the new characters are more appealing is the fact that they have goals their pursuing, instead of just being Ash's groupies. I think it was good that Brock split up from the group to become a doctor. It gave him a purpose and I would be mad if he came back, thus ruining a good ending for his character. I hope whoever the new girl character is does pokemon contests, although I also always thought it would be cool if the new guy character was into Pokemon contests too. I guess what Im saying is that Im sort of missing the Pokemon contests for some reason.

Now that BW is coming to an end, can someone explain why this piece of shit was created?

KUTnype.png

He didn't do shit and tried to be cocky and what happened to him? Lost the first round of the Pokémon League against Ash.

I was actually fucking happy when he lost to Ash, but then Cameron happened.

In my opinion, this was the worst rival Ash ever had.

• Thumbs Up 7

Trip was just boring; Paul may have been a colossal dick with a flimsy redemption, but he at least kept me interested.

So yea, worst Rival. Its amazing how BW starts out so well by having a much better pacing than previous seasons and subverting its norms, but by the Unova League, it just came crashing down. Ironically, it has the opposite problem of previous seasons, its pace was too fast.

Trip was just an obvious attempt to repeat the success the anime had with Paul and as we can all see, the attempt fell flat on its face.

My question is why did Pokemon feel the need to create new main rivals for ash when there are perfectly good rivals in the games for them to use? I felt like Barry was more fun than Paul was for instance. The Paul character just did not have as much substance as Barry did. Which made me wish Barry was Ash's main rival instead of Paul. If possible Trip had even less substance. He was like a watered down version of Paul (except he liked to be a creepy stalker by taking pictures all the time). N should have been the main rival for the whole series if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

So yea, worst Rival. Its amazing how BW starts out so well by having a much better pacing than previous seasons and subverting its norms, but by the Unova League, it just came crashing down. Ironically, it has the opposite problem of previous seasons, its pace was too fast.

I have to agree here, I had my issues with Best Wishes concerning Ash's character and how his Pokemon barely evolve, but otherwise it felt new and fresh and all around enjoyable to watch. But MAN that Unova League was terrible. Episode N was all right though, and we AT LEAST get Charizard to join in. Who's to say how Delcora will be, but I doubt it will beat the Orange Islands saga.

And yeah Trip sucks, he's basically rude to Ash for the sake of being rude (Paul at least had the excuse of having different Pokemon training viewpoints from Ash and so naturally ideals clash) and the writers realized that they made a shitty rival so they axed him off in the first fucking round of the League, never to be seen again. That's not to say Cameron was any better, in face he was probably worse. I liked the whole "rival group" dynamic they had going with Stephan, Bianca, Burghundy, Gergoria, and to an extent Virgil and I wished they just focused on that instead (they did, a lot actually, but more of it would have been nice).

As for Barry, I did think he got the short end of the stick when it came to the rivalry (the actualy canon DP Rival got overshadowed by an OC, how bout that) but he still had his moments here and there and is all around faithful to the game version.

Edited by Soniman

Decolora Islands is already around 75% of the way done. It's as episodic as mid-Johto was.

Decolora Islands is already around 75% of the way done. It's as episodic as mid-Johto was.

They're just padding until X&Y come out.

My question is why did Pokemon feel the need to create new main rivals for ash when there are perfectly good rivals in the games for them to use? I felt like Barry was more fun than Paul was for instance. The Paul character just did not have as much substance as Barry did. Which made me wish Barry was Ash's main rival instead of Paul. If possible Trip had even less substance. He was like a watered down version of Paul (except he liked to be a creepy stalker by taking pictures all the time). N should have been the main rival for the whole series if you ask me.

I'm sorry I love Barry and his antics in the games and on the show but Paul was one of the best rival. He even trumps Gary in number of appearance. Heck he was Gary done right. double heck Paul was the equivalent of Gen II's rival.

They're just padding until X&Y come out.

Orange Islands was padding too, but it had substance and enjoy ability  

I'm sorry I love Barry and his antics in the games and on the show but Paul was one of the best rival. He even trumps Gary in number of appearance. Heck he was Gary done right. double heck Paul was the equivalent of Gen II's rival.

Yeah, I apologize. I shouldn't have talked about Paul like that. Just because I dont like him dosent mean he is a bad character. Sometimes I get too passionate about certain characters and cartoons in general. There are some rivals that the pokemon anime made that I actually liked including Harley and Drew. The animators probably wanted to make their own characters instead of being stuck with only the video game characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QthdwEVpqj4&t=60s

What if the Pokemon being shown with each of the main characters wasn't just for show. What if this was to foreshadow which Pokemon would be given Mega Evolutions and such. Only reason why Tracey doesn't have Marill with him, Paul without Electivire, and Cilan without Pansage, and why Brock has Onix and not Steelix.

Ignore the fact that May's Blaziken is nowhere in sight plzkthx

It's fun to overthink this.

Edited by Joshua

Wouldn't be the first time; remember when Aipom tagged along at the end of Battle Frontier, and it ended up evolving into Ambipom.

• 2 weeks later...

So a new anime is on the way in October called Pokémon: Origin. Interestingly enough, it'll star Red and Green rather than anyone from Ash's universe.

If this is anywhere CLOSE to the quality of the Adventures manga, I will be a VERY happy man. biggrin.png

Le fucking gasp. An anime starring some beside Ash!?.....and it might be an adaption of adventures/special manga!?

.....I need minute

• Thumbs Up 2

That screenshot! It's hard to tell but for some reason the art style looks a bit different to me. But yeah, consider me intrigued for now.

My God.

This had better be a vast improvement over the formulaic, super kid friendly, totally-not-a-20-minute-plushie-ad shite we got before.

More screens:

EDIT: NEVERMIND IF CC14'S GONNA BEAT ME TO IT FINE >:U

Edited by Spin Attaxx

About time they focus on somebody on than stupid old Ash. I'm especially impressed that they're focusing on Red. But since this is based on Gen 1, I wonder if any retro fans will bitch if some of the Gen 1 mons evolutions from Gen 4 appear.

If this is anything like the Pokespecial manga, then I'll definitely be tuning in.  I've actually been wanting a new pokemon show that didn't have Ash as the main character for quite some time.

I'm very interested in this.

Basically Fire Red and Leaf Green the Anime. That's pretty great.

Wait, I haven't watched the Ash Anime for a long time and just saw that video few posts earlier. Is it coming to an end or what?

• Thumbs Up 1