Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

Well... it's obviously a trailer designed to show off and generate hype within the MGS fanbase more than anything, that boy in the jail cell for instance, the whole 'who is he!?' debate and the grey skull dude, 'who is he!?' in the wider audience, the transition from the cut scene to the gameplay was pretty much flawless, no obvious drop in quality from the images we saw, even MGS 4 had a noticable drop when it went from a CG cut scene to an ingame one.

Cutscenes are ingame graphics.

Cutscenes are ingame graphics.

You know what I mean.

You'd get treated to one of those owww look how gorgeous this cut scene is, then there would be another which had an obvious drop in quality and then you'd get back to playing games.

Wow. I've never even played a MGS game and that looks impressive.

Gamesradar put some more gameplay up. Looks really god IMO:

Interesting, why isn't Big Boss wearing the bandana (which is eventually passed on to Solid Snake)?

He tossed it away at the end of Peace Walker.

I have only played Peace Walker once or twice. So as I have the HD Collection I am going to play the shit out of Peace Walker.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

In last week's Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes footage, there was apparently some concern amongst fans about Snake's age. Hideo Kojima responded to the concerns via Twitter today.

This is the controversial scene:

Wrote Kojima, there have been many Tweets stating that with the white hair, Snake appears to be really old in this sequence.

It turns that that this is just an illusion. As Kojima explained, the hair appears white because of the back lighting effect.

http://andriasang.co...d_zeroes_snake/

Look's like I was right.

Here's a pic of him normally I found on Neogaf:

m1yfclv.jpg

And a newish pic from Kojima:

3IEGb.jpg

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

http://andriasang.co...d_zeroes_snake/

Look's like I was right.

Here's a pic of him normally I found on Neogaf:

m1yfclv.jpg

And a newish pic from Kojima:

3IEGb.jpg

It's pretty obvious it was because of the lighting effect. I expect most people just wanted another picture. Makes nice wallpaper for your desktop.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

So I finally got around to beating MGS4, so possible spoilers in this post. I consider myself a generally articulate person, yet I really have a hard time finding the words to describe this... game? One of the things I love about Metal Gear Solid is that I don't understand it- I'm not talking about the storyline, I don't understand what it's trying to accomplish. Hideo Kojima's writing is so cluttered with redundant conversations, exposition, outlandishly complex and nonsensical conspiracies that it goes past the point of simple bad writing and crosses the threshold into literal insanity. Any sane author would have looked for a few good ideas to focus on and construct a place to just fucking STOP, but Kojima has too many mad thoughts locked up in him to just give us "the point" and be done with it. While I can accept the first three games as just "postmodern," Metal Gear Solid 4 makes me feel concerned that the creator has lost his grip on reality. For starters, I honestly can't tell if the way he writes female characters is misogynistic or progressive; bringing self-reliant female characters onto the battlefield is empowering, but after having a series of bosses composed of sexy women in skin tight suits writhing in personal trauma as you kill them, I don't really know what to think. And then you have walking tanks with frog legs that bleed when attacked and moo like cows, more homoerotic undertones than the new Sherlock Holmes series, and a lens on technology that seems simultaneously paranoid and fetishistic. What's more, it has the biggest dissonance in tone I've ever seen, ranging from juvenile scat humor and cheap fourth wall humor to very deep and thought out futurist ideas and war themes. And it all comes together in a way so inelegant that it's elegant. It's not even a "so bad it's good" kind of thing, it's more of a "so incomprehensible it's one-of-a-kind" kind of feeling. God, I have a headache...

• Thumbs Up 2

~

I have to agree wholeheartedly. It's that though... that makes me like the game(s). Not to mention that the story/characters seem so complicated and convoluted at times, but it's what makes the games so interestng if you ask me.

Oh and.... lalilulelo

I have to agree wholeheartedly. It's that though... that makes me like the game(s). Not to mention that the story/characters seem so complicated and convoluted at times, but it's what makes the games so interestng if you ask me.

Oh and.... lalilulelo

Oh yeah, totally. Despite the nature of the writing, the characters are extremely well fleshed out. And it's just as well, because that's really where 90% of the series' value is.

And fun fact: I recently discovered that "lalilulelo" is based on a shibboleth from World War II; in order to identify Japanese spies, American soldiers made them say words like "lollapalooza." If they say "rorraparooza," they were shot on sight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Due to a licensing issue with one of the songs in the trailer, Komani have asked for the MGS Ground Zeros trailer to be taken down.

http://www.psu.com/a...-Zeroes-trailer

"PAX Prime 2012 marked a historic event - the one and only Hideo Kojima took the stage to answer questions about the newly designed FOX Engine and the recent reveal of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Kojima surprised all in attendance with a world premiere 15-minute trailer showcasing Ground Zeroes gameplay and story details.

Shortly after its debut, websites everywhere posted this fantastic footage, but now Konami is asking all sites to remove the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes demo because of a licensing issue with one of the songs heard within.

In accordance with Konami's wishes, PSU has temporarily removed the Ground Zeroes footage from the article in question.

It is not currently known which song is at fault. Possibilities include “Here’s To You” by Ennio Morricone and Joan Baez or “Ride of the Valkyries” by Richard Wagner, but this is purely speculation. It is also unknown if a revised trailer will be released in the future. Either way, we'll let you know as soon as we hear more and have new footage to show."

Well that sucks.

Edited by NightwingFox

Never mind the trailer track, make Konami license TAPPY's MGS theme again for this.

Please.

For starters, I honestly can't tell if the way he writes female characters is misogynistic or progressive; bringing self-reliant female characters onto the battlefield is empowering, but after having a series of bosses composed of sexy women in skin tight suits writhing in personal trauma as you kill them, I don't really know what to think.

It's worth remembering that this is the same man who made a segment in Peace Walker where you can look through Paz's clothes to see her underwear, and who also puts up pictures on Twitter of himself nude in Spider-Man boxers.

He's capable of writing good female characters if he'd want to. Meryl in MGS4 is kind of the anti-thesis to his misogynistic undertones until the shoddy love plot with Johnny happens. He just doesn't care. Although I appreciate that his refuge in audacity doesn't make him beat around the bush or feel put on spot if someone questions his intents.

With that said I don't ever want to touch the subject of MGS and sexism with a twenty-foot pole ever again.

He's capable of writing good female characters if he'd want to. Meryl in MGS4 is kind of the anti-thesis to his misogynistic undertones until the shoddy love plot with Johnny happens. He just doesn't care. Although I appreciate that his refuge in audacity doesn't make him beat around the bush or feel put on spot if someone questions his intents.

Not to mention, The Boss is factually one of the best female characters in the medium.

Given that, I believe we can excuse some typical nippon pantsu~oppai shenanigans.

On Meryl on MGS4, do you really think so? I may be remembering wrong, but I thought she was written as a moron who, if anything, you could say goes with the stereotype that women don't listen to reason.

IIRC, a pretty crucial point in the game was her completely ignoring Snakes reasonable advice to stand down until they knew what Liquid was up to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On Meryl on MGS4, do you really think so? I may be remembering wrong, but I thought she was written as a moron who, if anything, you could say goes with the stereotype that women don't listen to reason.

IIRC, a pretty crucial point in the game was her completely ignoring Snakes reasonable advice to stand down until they knew what Liquid was up to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'd imagine that a large part of the reason she didn't listen to Snake was probably because she was pissed at Col Campbell.

You're probably right, but that's just how it sounded to me.

Well, I'd imagine that a large part of the reason she didn't listen to Snake was probably because she was pissed at Col Campbell.

You're probably right, but that's just how it sounded to me.

It's been a while since I played MGS4 so I don't rememeber the whole story, but I am pretty sure that at the end of Act 3 neither Meryl or Snake knew that Liquid-Ocelot had the ability (taken control of the Guns of the patriot system) which allowed him to stop the guns from firing at him. With the arsenal Meryl had her disposal, her actions seemed perfectly understandable. Meryl did not know Liquid like Snake did of course, but her actions were still logical.

I for one loved the character of Meryl. To me she is a strong character, a good match for Snake. She showed great strength in MGS and MGS4.

When playing MGS and Snake is being tortured by Ocelot, you had to decided to either submit to the torture or not. I liked the alternative ending of the game if you submit to the torture just as much as the ending if you don't submit to the torture. However, I always feel slightly guilty submitting to the torture because of the consequences.

Edited by NightwingFox

A2a_jiDCMAEUB3S.jpg

Posted by Kojima..

Infantry Libertad Muerte.. so Liberty or Death. Another new PMC, Big Boss?

Going by that, the "UN Inspectors" probably cause MSF to be disbanded after they inspect Motherbase and have it destroyed, after (Or during) Big Boss's mission of saving Chico and Paz (Who was probably killed).

Yeah, I've been wondering what the hell happened to Paz. I honestly wasn't expecting another MGS game with Big Boss again, but given that Vladimir is still alive too we'll be seeing what they've been doing.

I'm guessing Paz is dead because of "Galves's" dialogue at thebeginning. He tells Chico "she didn't suffer long". Coupled with Miller saying Chico and Paz were at the camp, it makes the most sense. I've seen other people say it's Amanda, but since Miller gives no mention of her having been also captured, I doubt it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed Chapter 5 (the final chapter) of MGS: Peace Walker, for the first time. S ranked the Metal gear ZEKE battle at only my second attempt-crazy. Peace Walker certainly is an epic game, i'll give it that. It's a shame it wasn't a PS3 title. Kojima did an amazing job with the PSP though.

Is Peace Walker better than Guns of the Patriots? That is a very difficult question to answer.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeros, has got a hell of a lot to live up to. Looking forward to it.

Edited by NightwingFox

• 2 months later...

Soooo That game The Phantom Pain

(crappy quality trailer, will replace when better one is uploaded)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogXt1W1QTDE

We've all probably noticed how there's alot of "similarites" between this and the MGS series, like...

7cQR2.jpg

78hi4.jpg

MGSGZ_flipped_feat.jpg

Volgin?

VlRTI.png

Dr. Kio Marv?

bwMmT.jpg

Okay, now this is just too suspicious....

jQV8v.jpg

Physco Mantis?

The Flowers from MGS3

Gaf counted up the coincidences

- Continued play on "phantom", where "Two Phantoms were born" stands as the tagline for Ground Zeroes' first concept material.

- Volgin lookalike wreathed in flames.

- Hallucinating petals straight from MGS3's climax.

- Floating figure with audible breaths muffled by mask, ala Psycho Mantis.

- Similar facial scars between in-game model and Snake concept art for Ground Zeroes.

- That fucking mullet.

- Joakim Mogren, where Joakim is an anagram for Kojima.

Kojima is trolling us with the ultimate mindfuck.

Thinking about it, if this is an MGS title,

Could this be the Les Enfants Terribles story?

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

- Joakim Mogren, where Joakim is an anagram for Kojima.

Not only that but... Mogren.

Take away the M & N you get Ogre.

Kojima said his unannounced project was called Ogre. Go on... who wants to make the joke?