Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

I would rather the new MGS game be based on the gameplay of MGS and MGS3. I actually found the gameplay in MGS2 and MGS4 rather boring. I want open world gameplay (still all about stealth) with lots of mutliple paths/routes. Think of Act 2 of MGS4, only with even more paths.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I just hope the game succeeds in surpassing MGS3. I loved MGS4, but it was a disappointment after 3, which to me is perfect. It had great gameplay, characters, graphics, story and bosses. And it was filled with so many little easter eggs. I still find that game amazing. Whenver I play it, I'm in wonder how they could do some things.

And I better get Codec/Radio conversations as good as 3. I could just sit around talking to people for a while in that game. I was sad when I had, like, two people to talk to in 4 and their convos weren't as interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

A bit late in the generation for these big developments, no? Can't say I'm surprised being Konami.

It is an established iP so it shouldn't be a problem getting sales when it is released. Konami could even release it for the Wii U.

A Metal Gear Solid game for Wii U could actually end up being rather promising if the game would have ended up having a system akin to Metal Gear Solid 3. Think of all the gear, camo, rations, cure etc. that could easily be managed on the fly with the controller without having to pause all the time. Granted it could end up being a bit tricky to manage during boss fights but Kojima is pretty masterful at tailoring that kind of stuff and hey,

Setting aside some wishful thinking though, I'm actually looking forward to this somewhat despite my rantings about how the story of Metal Gear just seems over and done with considering the finality of MGS4. If there's one thing I can look forward to with the console games above the portable ones and their focus on micromanaging troops it's that these always seem to offer a massive but subtle new game play focus, apart from the transition from MGS to MGS2. In Snake Eater it was the aspect of survival and in Guns of The Patriots it was evolving, contextual environments.

I've actually fantasized a bit about an open-world Metal Gear before, but I'm a bit wary that the open world aspect will mean that this will contain sidequests and elements borrowing a bit too much from the portable titles though, and I'm not a massive fan of them. On the flipside if the game turns out to be something of a much more grounded version of something akin to Just Cause 2, I'm incredibly excited.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is an established iP so it shouldn't be a problem getting sales when it is released. Konami could even release it for the Wii U.

Oh, I don't question its sales potential, it'll do >3-4 million on PS3s alone plus whatever it scratches up on PC/360. And one of those copies sold will belong to me no doubt.

Just commenting on how much they seem to lag behind. Rising's internal development fiasco probably didn't help with the scheduling, having to call Platinum for an emergency bail out and all.

What makes me happy about the Open-World confirmation is that that most likely means they're scrapping the chapters approach from 4 and are sticking to one big area. I didn't really like that about 4 even though it did give more variety. It felt less like MG to me.

And here's hoping it's not coming to the 360. I fear the disc space will limit it a bit. MGS 4 took up a lot of the space of the Blu-Ray and wouldn't have been possible on a single DVD. Are there any 360 games that use multiple DVDS? If so, I don't mind. Just as long as they don't have to limit themselves.

Edited by MarcelloF

And here's hoping it's not coming to the 360. I fear the disc space will limit it a bit. MGS 4 took up a lot of the space of the Blu-Ray and wouldn't have been possible on a single DVD. Are there any 360 games that use multiple DVDS? If so, I don't mind. Just as long as they don't have to liit themselves.

Yes, there are quite a few. But it shouldn't be a problem if they take the Forza 4 and RAGE approach where the additional DVDs are to be installed to the hard drive.

Otherwise, I'd hate for the game design to suffer (see: Mass Effect 2) or having to endure outrageously bad compression (see: anything that uses the Bink codec) for the sake of a platform that's an afterthought to the series' audience.

Oh, right. Mass Effect 2. I own the first two. How could I forget that it 2 discs.

What part of the game design suffered under it?

Damn...this is one reason why i hate the internet sometimes. The moment you see some news, a thousand people are already posting it ahead of you in forums. laugh.png

On the subject of this being on so many disc, I'd chalk that up to having the cutscenes in MGS 4 last SO FUCKING LONG that it was ridiculous and it was trying to cram a lot into one game. Hopefully things are more streamlined this time, I mean they managed to have Peace Walker on UMD and that had a lot of stuff to do in it compared to your usual PSP game so we can hope that they don't go overboard with things like that.

As for Ground Zeroes, I think an Open World Stealth game is a concept to drool over.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Maybe, if released for the 360, they can take the Battlefield 3 (was it BF3?) approach, and have the HD textures be downloadable from the store and absent from the disc to save space? Although... part of me wants MGS to stay on a Sony platform

I don't have a problem with multiplatform. They can release it on PS3 and Wii U for all I care. Maybe give the 720 a port. I'd still buy it on the PS3, though.

On the subject of this being on so many disc, I'd chalk that up to having the cutscenes in MGS 4 last SO FUCKING LONG that it was ridiculous and it was trying to cram a lot into one game.

They were all realtime though, with the exception of two videos in the whole game. Animation data doesn't take that much space, though the audio would as they went all out on that regard. Highly underrated feature, that one.

MGS4 also has a ton of unique assets for different locales, unlike stuff like Elder Scrolls that extensively uses the power of copypaste to fill areas.

What part of the game design suffered under it?

Because of disc space limitations, the game is effectively divided in two halves with the final recruits unavailable until Disc 2. But you were meant to finish the dossiers anytime you wanted as evidenced by scenes and dialogue still present in the game.

ie: If you mod the PC release to

take Legion to Purgatory (Jack's Disc 1 recruitment mission)

you'll get some fun specific banter and conversations.

They were all realtime though, with the exception of two videos in the whole game. Animation data doesn't take that much space, though the audio would as they went all out on that regard. Highly underrated feature, that one.

So which actually took more disc space which would make it too much to put on at least 2 discs for the 360? I mean, either way, it's worth noting they should streamline things and not overindulge in one area.

Also, I completely forgot for a second, but I do recall FF13 having 4 discs for the 360.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

So which actually took more disc space which would make it too much to put on at least 2 discs for the 360? I mean, either way, it's worth noting they should streamline things and not overindulge in one area.

How they managed the data, that, I don't know.

But keep in mind RAGE's open world too and requires >20Gb of space.

Also, I completely forgot for a second, but I do recall FF13 having 4 discs for the 360.

Yeah but that's clearly not an example of game design suffering for space limitations. Rather, it's the opposite ;P

If I remember correctly, Kojima said content had to be taken out of the final product of MGS4 due to restrictions of memory on the Bluray disc. At that time, I believe blurays had the capacity if around 50-60gb of memory. If another MGS was released for the 360 and was as "big" in terms of space as MGS4, I think it's safe to assume the game would be more than 2 disc on the 360, seeing how the Dual-Layered disc of a 360 DVD is only about 16gb at most, if I remember correctly. Someone please correct me if I am wrong XD

Just wanted to point out that it has 3 discs, not 4. :P

I had watched some of Chip and Ironicus' Let's Plays, but Peace Walker was my jumping-on point for this series, so this being a Peace Walker sequel has me pleased.

Hopefully it'll have some kind of co-op component. I got into MGS because of a friend, and played the entire campaign with him. I'd like to do that again.

Edited by Solly

Detailed impressions from Gamespot (Link's buggin out for some reason, I'll try to find another, in the meantime)

The scene starts in a remote military base with heavy rain. The camera is following a shadowy figure in a business suit and hat accompanied by a number of well-armed soldiers and guard dogs as he converses with a little boy in a cage. He throws a portable music player after some dialogue and the boy proceeded to use it. The rest of the scene was playing "Here's To You" from the film "Sacco e Vanzetti" (also on Metal Gear Solid 4) as the man in a coat rides off to an airfield before taking off on a helicopter to an undisclosed location. Before erasing the "XOF" emblem off of the helicopter, he took out his hat and speaks about what transpired in very vague words. His face and head was all burned-up and scarred with no hair; at this point in time, we have no idea who he is. He proceeded to toss away all a stash of mini "XOF" emblems as he flew off with the rest of the soldiers.

Series creator Hideo Kojima then took centrestage and showed off the title's gameplay for a few minutes. We see Snake do what he does best: go in a prone state and sneak around (no Octocam this time; just old-fashioned crawling and hiding), as well as going into aiming mode in third person shooting a nearby guard at a security post. We should also mention that the demo gave out a sandbox open-world vibe; the military base itself felt expansive and huge, and Snake can summon a helicopter to bring him around as well as drive a jeep to go from point A to B. Kojima did state that he wishes to add a new spin to the stealth genre; even when you're discovered, you can use all the means and tools to escape rather than see a "game over" screen.

Edited by Nintendoga

you can use all the means and tools to escape rather than see a "game over" screen.

It's always been like this..

It's always been like this..

It use to be just run and hide round a corner, under a table, in a locker or in a carboard box.

Listening out for the guard, "what was that noise" or "who's footprints are these".

The article implies you used to get game over if you've been spotted which isn't true for MGS. You've always been able to use your equipment to escape and hide to end the Alert.

The article implies you used to get game over if you've been spotted which isn't true for MGS. You've always been able to use your equipment to escape and hide to end the Alert.

Whilst you are correct for the most part, there was an option in MGS2 when playing modes Hard, Extreme and European Extreme, where you could change it so that at soon as you were spotted by an enemy it would automatically be game over. Also, when playing European Extreme mode in MGS3 it is automatically game over when you are spotted by an enemy.

Not a particular fun mode. Doesn't really make much difference if you go for the highest BIG BOSS ranking, which I have done countless times.

Just wanted to point out that it has 3 discs, not 4. tongue.png

Huh...And here I thought I was missing a disc when I rented in from Blockbuster.

Sony have just confirmed that Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros is coming to the PS3! Then the guy who works on the blog went on to confirm that the game is coming to the PS3, but it's not a console exclusive, it's multi-platform! So I guess the Xbox 360 is the other one? Anyone wanna take bets on Wii-U?

Source: PS blog.

Kojima also showed that you can deploy a flare “at any time” to call in a friendly helicopter — it will let you fly between missions, and even to other countries. He even confirmed that the player can customize the music played by the helicopter, which in the demo blared out Ride of the Valkyries.

*Starts to upload 'you can do anything' from Sonic CD. Followed by the Crazy Taxi theme.

Edit: TRAILER GOES LIVE IN 2 MIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEiKy5JUxnw

• Thumbs Up 3