Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

The site (Moby Dick Studios) has been updated with images and the trailer.

Most of the images are from the trailer, but there's a few that are new.

Edited by Nintendoga

"[DISCLAIMER] Moby Dick Studio and our representatives does not currently operate through any social medias such as Facebook or Twitter, except for YOUTUBE."

What do they have against YouTube?

Edit: Oh, thats where they uploaded the trailer.

Edited by Falco

"[DISCLAIMER] Moby Dick Studio and our representatives does not currently operate through any social medias such as Facebook or Twitter, except for YOUTUBE."

What do they have against YouTube?

Edit: Oh, thats where they uploaded the trailer.

Please tell me your not taking ANY of this seriously especially since what I posted above?

• 1 month later...

Kojima talks about MGR, Ground Zeroes, and Phantom Pain
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508833

Metal Gear Solid 4 had long cutscenes because it needed to close the story and explain everything. For Ground Zeroes, a new method of story telling will be used, and Kojima thinks players will really like it.

The player will have the freedom to do what he wants and get the story events in the order he wants based on how he has chosen the missions. At the end however, the player will receive the message as Kojima originally designed and intended it, without change.

Kojima said he believes story telling through cinematics has become a bit outdated, and therefore he used a new method of story telling for Ground Zeroes.

When asked about The Phantom Pain, Kojima laughed and said that while he sees the resemblance, it is being made by Moby Dick Studios, and that he has nothing to do with it.

He also said he is working on Ground Zeroes and ‘a few other titles’ in which he is involved in the script writing and the game design.

Kojima believes that with evolving technology, we will eventually reach a stage when gameplay rendering quality will have the same standard as movies. However, aside from just creating better cinematics Kojima wants to create new gameplay mechanics as well, that will make players feel like they are playing a movie. He added that he can’t get into more details at the moment, but that next generation it will become more clear what he means.

As for Ground Zeroes, Kojima couldn’t say anything about when we can expect the game, but he did say everything is on schedule.

Now coming to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, when we look at Metal Gear Solid, it’s completely different from the franchise we are used to. Metal Gear Solid never truly had a competitor in its stealth-espionage genre, but Revengeance is a high speed hack-and-slash action adventure, which can be easily compared to other games from more experienced publishers. What was the thought process behind this?

Well, if you look at it, I suppose you could say that’s right! But basically, Revengeance is a spin-off along with the mainstream release that is Ground Zeroes. For the spin-off, we wanted to have variety, and I wanted to expand our reach to gamers who like hack-and-slash and hope to get accepted there as well. So that was our main goal as you can play with a few things in a spin-off, but Ground Zeroes will be conventional.

Right, even though it’s a game in a different genre, it still falls under the Metal Gear roof, and I am sure fans will enjoy it as much as the others in the series. Now related to that, and this is a much asked fan question, why was Raiden chosen as the ninja-cyborg guy in Revengeance instead of someone like Gray Fox?

It was actually not my idea, it was my staff in Kojima Productions that insisted on Raiden, and I respected their idea. I wanted to really focus on production than development, and they wanted to come up with a really cool hack-and-slash title with some Katana action and Raiden in it, and I thought ‘okay, that’s fine, I respect that’.

But in my personal opinion, I wanted to go for Frank Jaegar or Gray Fox. But if we had gone with that, I would have had to write the script and then be really committed to creating the game. I want to pass game development to the younger generation in my team, and have been trying to do so for quite some time. Before I never could give complete responsibilities for other games, but for Revengeance, they are fully in control. Besides, if I had created the game and directed it, it wouldn’t have been this game. I am very happy to see the growth in my team and how they have developed such an incredible game.

Shifting gears to what’s to come in the future. We have seen bits and pieces of the FOX Engine. We know about Project Ogre, we have seen the screenshots you have shared with us. I must admit, the new visual engine looks quite fantastic. What do you plan to achieve with the technologies that you are building, and how do you see it utilize the next-generation of consoles?

I can’t share much details about it yet, but the new engine is built towards not only having better visual quality, but also better functionality that will allow new kinds of gaming experiences, UI, playability, etc., and that is something we at Kojima Productions are working at, and some of which will be incorporated into Ground Zeroes.

In terms of technology, FOX Engine is very efficient and that’s one of our focus as well. We are continually trying to make it as efficient as possible, and with it, we can develop games in much shorter time period than ever possible before.

Finally, have you seen the new Phantom Pain trailer?

[Laughs] Yes, yes I have. I really liked it.

So did us. Would like to say something about it?

It was very visually appealing. The lighting was very good.

The trailer also looks familiar, especially the character, his mullet…we have seen him somewhere before…

[Kojima’s translator pitches in] Snake?

Yes!

Kojima: Oh! [laughs] It might have been an inspiration…

Sure…inspiration! Anyways, thanks a lot for your time. Any words for your fans in the Middle East?

Well, we are working on Ground Zeroes which will take a little more time. But there is Revengeance releasing next month, so why not play that while you wait for the new Metal Gear Solid.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Woah, Konami job listing shows that the latest Metal Gear Solid game is coming to High End Consoles (Next gen) and PC

Kojima Productions will be returning to the GDC Career Pavilion
(March 6th - 9th) to search for skillful engineers, artists, and game
creators including:

・Project engineers for the latest Metal Gear Solid targeted for high-end consoles and PC

・Engineers to help develop next-gen game engine technology for use with the "FOX Engine."

・Kojima Productions Brand Manager

If you are interested in becoming part of our team, please visit the Konami Group booth, #1914, in the Career Pavilion. 

We look forward to meeting lots of enthusiastic and talented candidates.

They're hiring for Level Designer, Mission Scripter, Game Designer, UI Designer, FX Artist,Cinematic Artist, Animator, Environment Artist, Character Artist, Senior Network Programmer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, Senior AI Programmer, Senior Graphics Engine Programmer, Senior Animation Engine Programmer

Does this mean Ground Zeroes/V is going to be on 720/PS4 and PC instead of this gen consoles? Or do they mean a different new game entirely.
Also PC, that's badass.

Kojima says Ground Zeroes May be too risky to release?

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes may be too "risky" to ever see release. Designer Hideo Kojima explained in a roundtable interview session attended by Videogamer that the game's focus on mature and taboo themes may make it too controversial to sell, even if it does release.

"That's precisely what I want to try to tackle with Ground Zeroes. Honestly I'm going to be targeting a lot of taboos, a lot of mature themes that really are quite risky," Kojima said. "I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to release the game, and even if I did release the game then maybe it wouldn't sell because it's too much. As a creator I want to take that risk."

Kojima said games have not matured much in the past 25 years--including Metal Gear Solid games--, saying "It's always about killing aliens and zombies." He said he thinks these games are fun, but claimed they have "a long way to go before they can mature."

Kojima does not seem too worried about hitting sales targets for Ground Zeroes. Ultimately, he said creativity trumps sales.

"I'm approaching the project as a creator and prioritizing creativity over sales," he said.

Very interesting. I wonder what themes he's going for this time.

Ah, more incest then.

And as you get to that point in the game....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T--JS16uSV8

And to make it classy they slowly display the name of the song in the bottom left corner as the camera cuts to a dog barking at a the night sky... this moment alone means it gets GOTY from IGN as it deems this to be the greatest artistic scene from a game ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kojima says Ground Zeroes May be too risky to release?

Very interesting. I wonder what themes he's going for this time.

Kojima is such a tease. Could you imagine the fan backlash if they couldn't release the game because the content was just too risky. Kojima has had death threats before (there really are some idiots out there). All I know is that I will be getting Ground Zeroes! 

In terms of the themes, if it turned out to be anything like the so called 'controversial' themes of the new Tomb Raider game, would there be the same fan reaction even though this is a Metal Gear Solid game? I seriously doubt it.

Whatever we get, I am happy with a thought provoking story, as long as we get quality 'tactical espionage action' with dozens hours of replay value.

I can't help thinking that Ground Zeroes and MGS 5/Phantom Pain are the same game. It seems unusual for Kojima to announce two MGS games at the same time. I can see Ground Zeroes being a PS4 title. Perhaps The Phantom Pain is more like extra/online content which continues the story after Ground Zeroes finishes.  

Does Ground Zeroes end with Big Boss being seriously injured (loses his arm). They then extract his dna to start the 'Les Enfants Terribles' project, and then Big Boss wakes up in hospital as seen in The Phantom Pain trailer? I wonder... 

Edited by -Bender-

Ah, more incest then.

This time you get to see the love bloom on the battlefield.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

So you guys don't know but I'm a huge Metal Gear fan, since the PS game. I only played MGS4 last year for the first time, but I can finally say it's a horrible piece of trash. Gotta find out now if Revengeance is a return to form.

In terms of the themes, if it turned out to be anything like the so called 'controversial' themes of the new Tomb Raider game, would there be the same fan reaction even though this is a Metal Gear Solid game? I seriously doubt it.

*Nanomachines will somehow turn Big Boss into a girl and she gets raped by Kaz before he throws her into a waterfall and she gets impaled by a stake*

Knowing Kojima, anything's possible.

Edit: That's why Big Boss is in bed in Phantom Pain. It wasn't because he was in a coma. It was a sex-change operation.

Believe.

Edited by Nintendoga

So you guys don't know but I'm a huge Metal Gear fan, since the PS game. I only played MGS4 last year for the first time, but I can finally say it's a horrible piece of trash. Gotta find out now if Revengeance is a return to form.

I hope you're not expecting the game that's a complete departure from the series to bring it back to it's "form"...

• Thumbs Up 2

A little interesting MGS fact:

I am replaying MGS: Peace Walker. I just started playing Chapter Two of PW. Now, the title of Chapter 2 is called "The Phantom Hero", which refers to Big Boss (99% certain). So it's obviously Big Boss in 'The Phantom Pain' trailer (we knew that anyway). So it seems to imply that Phantom Pain takes place shortly after Peace Walker.  

The name of the chapter is stated right at the start of the video below: 

Edited by -Bender-

Online store PlayAsia has listed ‘Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain’ among their products. The title is accompanied by a picture of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. This seems to point in the direction that Metal Gear Solid 5, Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain is one and the same game. Nothing is confirmed so far.

Source:  The Metal Gear wiki   The Phantom Pain page 

Perhaps this is a placeholder as Kojima said that Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes is a prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5 at a PAX presentation.

On February 20, 2013, the official Ground Zeroes Facebook page had a post showing a snapshot from The Phantom Pain with the caption "Nightmare or Reality?"

Or perhaps The Phantom Pain is Kojima's way of giving the finger to the Metal Gear fans as he doesn't want be as "just that Metal Gear guy."

Regarding your second point, I'm 95% sure that nightmare or reality post is not on the official page. There's only 65 people that like that page.

On January 2013, Kojima revealed that Ground Zeroes will be the first title in the series to be subtitled in Arabic, a feature the team had originally planned for previous games. http://www.at7addak.com/en/Articles/226681/Features/PS3/Hideo-Kojima-Interview

So it would seem the Middle East would be involved with Ground Zeroes.

So I just finished playing the original Metal Gear games and Peace Walker.

The original Metal Gear games are that kind of game I can see being amazing for their time, but feel awkwardly designed by today's standards, e.g. Metroid.  For the 8-bit era, they had some very interesting mechanics and it's interesting to see stealth gameplay implemented that early in history.

The first Metal Gear is pretty dry story-wise (odd for a Metal Gear game), but basically revolves around Solid Snake's invasion of Outer Heaven and first encounter with Big Boss.  The map is very labyrinthine, which makes for some interesting exploration and discovery but also for some MASSIVE backtracking.  I wouldn't have minded it if it necessarily felt like I was making progress, but I found myself getting stuck quite frequently and the codec was about as useful as Kersti in Paper Mario: Sticker Star.  It also didn't help that all doors are opened by one of nine keys and ALL the doors and ALL the keys look EXACTLY the same.  Not to mention there are several cheap tricks like impossible-to-predict traps that come out of nowhere, trucks that take you back at least 10 screens with no warning and a fake POW that kills you when you rescue him.  Stuff that's the very definition of artificial difficulty.  There are also some things that pad the game out like a codec contact you need to complete the game who won't help you until you find and free enough POWs.  Before I get too ranty, I should note that these are all isolated events and that overall it was still a pretty good game.  Good stealth, good bosses, good pacing- the important stuff is all there.  There are some cool moments like being chased across a rooftop and tank fights, etc.  A solid classic title that was unfortunately held back by some naive design decisions.  Plus it's interesting to see that Kojima's trademark mind-fuckery goes back this far with fourth wall-breaks and oddball humor to be found.

Metal Gear 2 is a big step in the right direction, visibly setting some of the groundwork for Metal Gear Solid.  Roy Campbell and Master Miller both make their debut here and there are even some parts that MGS outright recycles like finding an undercover female soldier by stalking the woman's restroom.  MG2 vastly improves on MG1's formula, from more dynamic and aware enemy AI to a deeper, more Kojima-esque storyline.  The major issues I had with MG1 are diminished if not outright removed, though there is still some ambiguous "adventure game" logic and bad backtracking at certain points.  Still, for what it's worth I had a lot of fun with it.

Finally, Peace Walker.  I never beat Portable Ops since I couldn't for the life of me figure out a control scheme that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out, so I was happy to find Peace Walker was ported through the HD collection.  I've been putting off this game for a while now because I had difficulty getting into it then for some reason a night or two ago I suddenly got hooked.  Maybe it was just a slow start, but by the heart of the game things were really getting intense.  This game feels a bit like Armored Core meets MGS rather than an outright MGS installment, having a discrete mission-based structure and highly customizable loadout and inventory/resource management system.  The comic book cutscenes were interesting, although Ashley Wood's electric art style wasn't exactly easy on the eyes in particularly dynamic scenes.  Still, I had a load of fun particularly on the AI Pod boss fights, and I frankly I wasn't expecting the story for an (originally) portable spinoff to be THIS good, written by Kojima or not.  While it doesn't really add anything to the impact of MGS3, it does a good job building off of it into a unique and frankly unexpected direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to the next Phantom Pain teaser. Hopefully they will officially reveal this game as Metal Gear Solid 5.

Just read an interesting article (dated 12 March) which is a good read:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-could-be-a-test-for-new-ways-of-making-games-on-ps4/

"Hideo Kojima and Konami have been especially cryptic on what exactly the next Metal Gear title, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, is. Since debuting last summer, all the legendarily goofy designer has said is that it’s a more open take on the Metal Gear Solid brand of stealth and political drama, built on the Fox Engine and “targeted” for current consoles. Is it a full sequel, though? What’s Ground Zeroes’ relationship to The Phantom Pain, the cryptic trailer shown at the Spike Video Game Awards that was barely masked as a Kojima production? Are they separate games and is one of them an official Metal Gear Solid 5? This week, while speaking about the future of the video game business, Kojima gave a hint that Ground Zeroes may be something different altogether – it could be a pilot that precedes ahead of Metal Gear Solid 5."

“A very deep, 20-30 hour game [for next-gen consoles] might need a bigger team and take three or four years,” Kojima told Edge Magazine, “I think there’s a different way of tackling this problem: something similar to a TV series, where you can use pilot episodes to test the waters before you jump completely into the project.”

“It can be distributed via download channels, so the player can try it out before production continues. Something like that would take that long to create, maybe a year, and if it’s successful, you can continue.”

It's an interesting idea. Ground Zeroes did look absolutely gorgeous in last years trailer. I would want to play it whether it's a full game or not.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1