Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

Looking forward to the next Phantom Pain teaser. Hopefully they will officially reveal this game as Metal Gear Solid 5.

Just read an interesting article (dated 12 March) which is a good read:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-could-be-a-test-for-new-ways-of-making-games-on-ps4/

"Hideo Kojima and Konami have been especially cryptic on what exactly the next Metal Gear title, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, is. Since debuting last summer, all the legendarily goofy designer has said is that it’s a more open take on the Metal Gear Solid brand of stealth and political drama, built on the Fox Engine and “targeted” for current consoles. Is it a full sequel, though? What’s Ground Zeroes’ relationship to The Phantom Pain, the cryptic trailer shown at the Spike Video Game Awards that was barely masked as a Kojima production? Are they separate games and is one of them an official Metal Gear Solid 5? This week, while speaking about the future of the video game business, Kojima gave a hint that Ground Zeroes may be something different altogether – it could be a pilot that precedes ahead of Metal Gear Solid 5."

“A very deep, 20-30 hour game [for next-gen consoles] might need a bigger team and take three or four years,” Kojima told Edge Magazine, “I think there’s a different way of tackling this problem: something similar to a TV series, where you can use pilot episodes to test the waters before you jump completely into the project.”

“It can be distributed via download channels, so the player can try it out before production continues. Something like that would take that long to create, maybe a year, and if it’s successful, you can continue.”

It's an interesting idea. Ground Zeroes did look absolutely gorgeous in last years trailer. I would want to play it whether it's a full game or not.

I have a theory that Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and the Phantom Pain will be a trilogy that collectively forms "Metal Gear Solid 5."

Moby Dick Studios CEO

9fe3M5x.png

Now if we look at the original teaser.

fedce5a1cc0a6696211db5021d343b7a474065dc

Kojima be trollin.

• Thumbs Up 3

That interview is said to be CG by the way. You never get to see Geoff and Mogren on the same screen and some of the facial details are kind of uncanny by the end of it. It's by all likelihood a video of the Fox Engine and is probably why the face is obscured with bandages; so they can get away with more realistic detail.

Well, when I (poorly) edited the picture I noticed that there only seemed to be a face there. I mean, yeah, if it was a person, he'd be wearing a black shirt but I just don't see any defining features of a shirt.

yeah the BG kinda looks like it's greenscreened or something. and what's with the weird camera angles, and the fact the room geoff is in looks ompletely different? IDK

kojima gonna kojima

Wow, that was revealing.....

Yeah, the bandaged dude doesn't look real. When he blinks his eyelids seem closed for too long, and the mouth movement seems way off.

Question:

In the previous MGS games, Big Boss never lost his left arm, did he?

Edited by -Bender-

I love Kojima's antics, such a breath of fresh air into this otherwise boring marketing industry.

Wow, that was revealing.....

Yeah, the bandaged dude doesn't look real. When he blinks his eyelids seem closed for too long, and the mouth movement seems way off.

Question:

In the previous MGS games, Big Boss never lost his left arm, did he?

I haven't played Peace Walker yet, but before that game no. Maybe he looses it in Ground Zeroes.

Edited by Nintendoga

Kojima be trollin.

The teaser video might have appeared on Gametrailers, but was user-uploaded by 'Joakim Mogren'. It might be the 'real' Joakim Mogren (who is, er, likely a fake CEO and game creator), or a 'fake' Joakim Mogren. A fake fake. In fact, there's a highly popular fake Mogren on Twitter, who recently tweeted (and possibly duped) Geoff Keighley and enjoyed banter with Cliffy B.

It might even be an official video from Kojima Productions, but made to look fake to deliberately confuse matters. It barely matters, as we'll explain.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/396535/features/the-phantom-pain-the-unifying-theory/

Or Kojima hire his trolls to troll.

The Phantom Pain: The Unifying Theory

Is Psycho Mantis messing with us?  

Last part the Unifying Theory article reads:

"If you asked me, I'd suggest that The Phantom Pain was a chapter in an - as yet unannounced - MGS5, with Big Boss in a coma / VR mission / time skipping between key events in MGS history (like those in MGS Ground Zeroes), delivered episodically, possibly across console generations, played out across platforms like console, mobile and iPad. I suspect MGS: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain may exist as separate products i.e. they might be released at different times, but would be amazed if they're not related. Kojima told PAX last year that MGS: GZ was indeed a 'prologue' to something else. Thematically, the games seem too close to separate, not to mention the identical 'Combat body armour' worn by soldiers in both trailers."

I love Kojima, the way he messes with and totally confuses fans (i'm baffled) and how he makes the story just as exciting as the gameplay. So we find out more info on 27 March. Can't wait!

Here is my wacky theory:

Metal Gear Solid 5 will consist of three episodic games. Each the length of a normal MGS game.

Episode 1: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - which ends with Big Boss being seriously injured. (PS3/Xbox)

Episode 2: Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain - Is it real or is it an illusion-virtual reality? (PS4/Xbox720)

Episode 3: Metal Gear Solid: The Les Enfant Terrible Project. (PS4/Xbox720)

Yeah that's rubbish, but what the hell...

Edited by -Bender-

We'll see on March 27 if the theories are proven true or not.

Yeah, I'm mostly biting my tongue on the whole thing until we get to GDC at least. It seems far too early to speculate further.

I would not be surprised if they're the same game. They are at the least connected in some way. Both are running on the FOX engine after all, and I find it hard to believe that the first people Konami would outsource it to would be a random Swedish studio fronted by a man with an anagram for a first name and a Norwegian accent.

But on the other hand the Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes trailers almost seem too thematically different to be from the same game. Apart from Freddy in the GZ trailer it looks to be a pretty grounded type of game. Well, by Metal Gear standards at least, and Kojima mentioned that it's an open world type of game. On the other hand PP trailer is filled with crazy hallucinations (?) and seems to be telling a more insular, smaller story. Or the game play in that trailer at least looks to be pretty linear, but I guess it's hard to look open when all the scenes are set in a hospital.

Phantom Pain could arguably be a section within Ground Zeroes... as MGS has had some pretty weird detours in all the mainline titles. But IDK. 

If both of these games are Metal Gear Solid V, why bother splitting them up? There has to be a reason. 

We don't know if they are splitting them up, all we can do is wait for the answers on March 27. 

Kojima seems too brilliant to make a mistake like that. Was that really a mistake? Or a Red Herring?

Fuck, even when the truth is right in front of me I don't wanna believe.

Edit: I think I'll wait for Joakim Morgen's response on this

That is, if the Fox Engine can handle it
mockshock.jpg

Edited by Nintendoga

Phantom Pain confirmed for MGS5

Actually, Phantom Pain + Ground Zeroes = MGS5

snake's been in a coma for 9 years.

Edited by Cola

So it's exactly what we suspected for months

Cmon Kojima, step your game up!

Fantastic trailer btw

• Thumbs Up 4

It's sad that David Hayter isn't going to be in the game, but if the guy they get is good, I'll have no problem with it.