Awoo.

The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic

CanofEpicSauce

I should perhaps do some explanation behind the hat thing.

As some of you may know, skeletons are indeed built in in the .model files. There's some cases that if the .model file just doesn't have certain bones as a player character it'll crash, so people have been unable to model swap some stuff. I should point out they do have internal names as well, and the names should matchup with the Havok skeletons if you want to do animations with them.

Of course since my editor works on a variety of formats, and models are just pretty much terrain models with skeletons, I'm currently experimenting with loading .model files as well. It's not hard but I can't really render the bones appropiately yet. The thing is, I can load them and resave them as I wish.

So yeah, hat. I did a hat on 3DS Max, exported the mesh, and in my code just loaded Sonic's model, appended the extra hat model, and bound it to the head bone(index #6, you can look at the list I dumped here , unknown total is just the parent bone) with a bone weight of 0. This is merely a test if my model writer was working, and it helped me debug and find the following:

- The last 8 bytes of each vertex were indeed just bone indices and weights.

- What I didn't know was that the index was referencing a local table in each submesh. You can find it after the vertex declaration block. The bone indices in that table are the global ones of the skeleton used.

- And it also helped me decrypt all the skeleton and bone format as well.

I guess the more technically inclined towards model hacking would be interested in these news(for example Joe TE with his skeleton modifications to get Super Models working).

So TL;DR;, I'm adding support for loading skeletons and I intend to try to convert one from Max and load it up ingame, as an object most likely.

Here's a rather amusing video I did to showoff the hat thing.

Edited by Dario ff
  • Thumbs Up 7

Hi guys. I just joined this forum, basically because... well, this topic! So much on modding, I needed somewhere to discuss it all, and I thought this was the best place because there's so much progress posted here! Anyway...

@Dario: So... you can load skeletons, which would mean, in theory, we will eventually be able to use the statue room models/models from outside of Generations? I have been waiting to hear this, and its pretty exciting!

Playable Big would be awesome.

So anyway, I'm curious... is there a good place for me to learn animation hacking? I want to know the process on making my own animations and putting them into the game. At the moment I'm limited to what the game has in it, and I'd much prefer to make my own.

I have a small question-

I have the Steam demo of the game-is it possible to get Classic in Modern's level in that? I realise this is basic stuff, but regardless I'm puzzled.

Thanks in advance!

I should perhaps do some explanation behind the hat thing.

As some of you may know, skeletons are indeed built in in the .model files. There's some cases that if the .model file just doesn't have certain bones as a player character it'll crash, so people have been unable to model swap some stuff. I should point out they do have internal names as well, and the names should matchup with the Havok skeletons if you want to do animations with them.

Of course since my editor works on a variety of formats, and models are just pretty much terrain models with skeletons, I'm currently experimenting with loading .model files as well. It's not hard but I can't really render the bones appropiately yet. The thing is, I can load them and resave them as I wish.

So yeah, hat. I did a hat on 3DS Max, exported the mesh, and in my code just loaded Sonic's model, appended the extra hat model, and bound it to the head bone(index #6, you can look at the list I dumped here , unknown total is just the parent bone) with a bone weight of 0. This is merely a test if my model writer was working, and it helped me debug and find the following:

- The last 8 bytes of each vertex were indeed just bone indices and weights.

- What I didn't know was that the index was referencing a local table in each submesh. You can find it after the vertex declaration block. The bone indices in that table are the global ones of the skeleton used.

- And it also helped me decrypt all the skeleton and bone format as well.

I guess the more technically inclined against model hacking would be interested in these news(for example Joe TE with his skeleton modifications to get Super Models working).

So TL;DR;, I'm adding support for loading skeletons and I intend to try to convert one from Max and load it up ingame, as an object most likely.

Here's a rather amusing video I did to showoff the hat thing.

*insert Sonic the Hathog video here*

Edited by JoeTE
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have a small question-

I have the Steam demo of the game-is it possible to get Classic in Modern's level in that? I realise this is basic stuff, but regardless I'm puzzled.

Thanks in advance!

Well, do not know if I should be asking this here, but I'll try!

Does anyone have any idea of the location of text files of the game? Type: Menus and subtitles. I am interested in tradui it into my language.

Thank you!

And I can not wait for the conversion of Unleashed :)

Well, do not know if I should be asking this here, but I'll try!

Does anyone have any idea of the location of text files of the game? Type: Menus and subtitles. I am interested in tradui it into my language.

Thank you!

And I can not wait for the conversion of Unleashed smile.png

I did some research and it appears all texts are stored in image format(.dds or something), even subtitles, so sadly you can't localize it without modifying images, and it's a lot of work.

I iz makin progres on flyng

Seriously though, I am now able to airboost after I airboost.

And the hud is made by DarkChaoX100 on youtube, Got it for the boost meter mostly, but then I decided to make the boost bar the 06 one... yeah.. XD

• Thumbs Up 4

I found this in the select stage file.

<Category>

<Name>ChallengeAct チャレンジAct</Name>

<Category>

<Name>Classic</Name>

<Category>

<Name>GreenHillZone</Name>

<Stage>

<Type>Action</Type>

<Name>01 ソニックゴーストとタイケツ! vs SonicGhost</Name>

<Archive>ghz100</Archive>

<Mission>1</Mission>

</Stage>

I have a idea, doubt it will work but...

1.Change archive

2. Load completely different level in new archive you make.

3. 90 moar levels to use!

I have tested it, and it doesn't work.

But it looks like it is part of a level select menu.

The menu was probably for a debug mode.

Does anyone know how to read the .xncp files? Or is it a mystery?

Edited by SuperRiderTH

O my God, what on earth is this?! xD

Interesting how the model doesn't look messed up and has all animations.

Grab a cucmber sandwich & enjoy the video

video by Melpontro

(this isnt really a SG mod btw)

Screw the Werehog, THIS should had been the other half of Unleashed that we should had played!

We asked for another playable character, and we got some old professor that enjoys cucumber sandwiches.

The news in the frontpage should be fixed. That has nothing to do with my mod, that's just a character swap on Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Watching that reminded me why I didn't care for Griffith that much. Anyways Pickle has mad skills. Sonic you are no longer the fastest in your universe.

Looks like Woun showed it to him. :D

Google translate tells me he said something along the lines of: "it looks like the professor's evolved over the last few years..."

• Thumbs Up 3