Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

I'd feel kind of hypocritical to say I'm mad that it's a Smash Bros knock-off, seeing as that's what I want from SEGA All-Stars.

Looks like it could be a fun game to me.

I don't see the problem with it being Super Smash Bros-esque. Could you imagine a world where no one was allowed to make a game that was even remotely similar to another game?

The platformer genre would just be Mario and no Sonic or Crash Bandicoot.

Shooters would just be Call of Duty and no Battlefield or TF2, Time Splitter, etc(Hell, there wouldn't be CoD because Doom came long before that)

Football games would be just Madden... oh wait, we're there already.

• Thumbs Up 1

What makes SASASR different from this is that I found SASASR to be much less of a rip-off and more of its own thing. Drift to boost was DEFINITELY a SEGA thing given how prominent drifting is in old SEGA arcade games. Also, to be fair to SEGA, racing is much more their thing than it is Nintendo's. Heck, SEGA beat Nintendo by five years with 1988's Power Drift: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Power_Drift

Power Drift even had courses referencing After Burner and Hang-On. In a sense, it was the first All-Stars Racing. ohmy.png

Anywho, I think PASBR isn't trying hard enough to be its own thing. Heck, when I squint it looks like SSBB!

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 3

Watching the GTTV episode now. The good thing about not watching it live is I can skip the boring shit I don't care about! smile.png

CAPTAIN QUWARK! WHOA SHIT HE GOT EATEN BY THE HYDRA!!!!

The final boss is either Kevin Butler or Kaz Hirai. Calling it now.

Edited by CHUNKY KONG

What makes SASASR different from this is that I found SASASR to be much less of a rip-off and more of its own thing. Drift to boost was DEFINITELY a SEGA thing given how prominent drifting is in old SEGA arcade games. Also, to be fair to SEGA, racing is much more their thing than it is Nintendo's. Heck, SEGA beat Nintendo by five years with 1988's Power Drift: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Power_Drift

Power Drift even had courses referencing After Burner and Hang-On. In a sense, it was the first All-Stars Racing. ohmy.png

Anywho, I think PASBR isn't trying hard enough to be its own thing. Heck, when I squint it looks like SSBB!

If I haven't played Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing, I would be like you and say All-Stars Racing is a rip-off of Mario Kart. It visually is.

Besides we haven't seen enough of the gameplay to confirm it's worse than Smash Bros. Give it until E3, and besides they are not finished with the game yet. They'll probably tweak/polish the game up before release.

In all honesty, this looks very muddy and lacks a lot of the energy I feel from Smash Bros. I don't mind that it's a clone, since there are so few good clones, but I want it to be a "good" clone. Right now this just doesn't feel like it's trying to be anything but a cash-in clone.

So I'm hoping this game gets better as it progresses.

It's fine if you don't think the game looks that fun, but seeing one of the main criticisms being that "it's like Smash Bros." just seems outright stupid to me.

It's a stupid criticism because it's actually a compliment. Unless we read into it as SSB being bad and thus not wanting an equally bad game C:

-

The mechanics are interesting in the sense that you'll want to get into the fight to level up your bar so you don't get oneshotted when someone else reaches level 3, which is the entire opposite concept of smash's run away as hits taken will make you more vulnerable.

As for content, given the pedigree of the dev we can expect surely a Journey stage with shifting sands. Santa Monica Studios had to help with Heavenly Sword too (something something Ninja Theory something incompetence), so Nariko is also fitting. Nate is 100% in.

I'd like to see some more obscure characters like Tombi, Dan Fortesque or Alundra. Have Kat from Gravity Daze to cross-promote the game. Get something from Demon's Souls - Maiden in Black/Ostrava/the Dragon God. It's not like they don't have enough IPs.

As far as guests go, Sony characters have appeared on MK and SF, shouldn't be too hard to borrow Scorpion or fat Megaman (though... Legends series is pretty much PlayStation based and I wouldn't put it past Capcom to troll harder). Ubi and Square are especially whoring their characters lately and Snake's been around. Personally I'd pick rarer choices from these companies (such as BoF's Ryu or VP's Lenneth) but they'll want to go with the popular ones.

Too bad because playing as Selvaria >>>> Sonic any fucking day of the year.

I just found out while playing a LittleBigPlanet level, at random a Buzz! stage pops up in the background. Then at his own time, Buzz himself asks a quiz question to the players. If the player answers it wrong, the player will be damaged.

Everyone who has played the game says that it actually plays quite differently from Smash Bros.

You can't KO opponents by knocking them off of the screen. You can only kill them with the super moves that use the AP bar. You build AP by beating up your opponents with your normal attacks and items or you collect AP orbs. Some items allow you to knock AP orbs out of your opponent and Sly Cooper specifically can steal AP.

There are three attack buttons unlike Smash Bros.' two and people with hands on say that there is more of an emphasis on combos and that build up your AP than like in Smash Bros. where you wear on the damage and then go in for a killing move to knock them off the screen.

So yeah, Smash Bros. clone on the surface? Sure. When you actually play it? Different story.

Edited by Chooch

Everyone who has played the game says that it actually plays quite differently from Smash Bros.

You can't KO opponents by knocking them off of the screen. You can only kill them with the super moves that use the AP bar. You build AP by beating up your opponents with your normal attacks and items or you collect AP orbs. Some items allow you to knock AP orbs out of your opponent and Sly Cooper specifically can steal AP.

There are three attack buttons unlike Smash Bros.' two and people with hands on say that there is more of an emphasis on combos and that build up your AP than like in Smash Bros. where you wear on the damage and then go in for a killing move to knock them off the screen.

So yeah, Smash Bros. clone on the surface? Sure. When you actually play it? Different story.

Well, that's all we can see unfortunately, the surface. Can't really blame us for making the comparison. I usually like trying a game myself hands-on before judging, alas seeing pre-recorded gameplay of it is all we can work with

although, the whole "only special attacks can KO" sounds a bit like Dissidia to me

Edited by LunarEdge

It's got to get to a point where people can play the game for themselves before they make that judgement.

My point is that people who have actually played it say it feels quite different and that's something that would logically carry over as more people get access to the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

That sounds completely unappealing to me. So only kills with the Smash Ball count? No thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's probably going to be an option where you can KO oponents without Special moves, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that right now.

Edited by sjmaster92

That sounds completely unappealing to me. So only kills with the Smash Ball count? No thank you.

There is no "Smash Ball" in Battle Royale.

But a Smash Ball is a single floating object that moves around the screen that everyone on screen fights for in order to gain access to their "supers."

These supers are dictated by how much meter you have in your AP bar which is built up by attacking other opponents and collecting AP orbs. Level 1 and level 2 supers aren't anywhere near as flashy or intrusive as Final Smashes. Only the level 3s are.

Edited by Chooch

There's probably going to be an option where you can KO oponents without Special moves, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that right now.

I kinda doubt that tbh. If that's how they are showcasing the game that's probably how it's going to ultimately play. How other way would you win? The stages look like they are built around keeping the players in, not out.

But a Smash Ball is a single floating object that moves around the screen that everyone on screen fights for in order to gain access to their "supers."

These supers are dictated by how much meter you have in your AP bar which is built up by attacking other opponents and collecting AP orbs. Level 1 and level 2 supers aren't anywhere near as flashy or intrusive as Final Smashes. Only the level 3s are.

Edited by Yong
  • Thumbs Up 4

@ lunaredge by depleting the opponents health bars with normal attacks? it could work similiarly to the stamina matches in the smash bros series.

Edited by sjmaster92

@ lunaredge by depleting the opponents health bars with normal attacks? it could work similiarly to the stamina matches in the smash bros series.

Edited by LunarEdge

You know with how the game physically looks, I'm not that impressed either. However, it makes me wonder how much more polishing it has, if any. If it's aimed at the end of this year, is there time for that kinda stuff you think? I'm not exactly the most savvy person on the building process of a game, but I just feel there's still time to tweak things, idk.