Awoo.

Generations 3DS Chat - Oh look guys new rules (p.58)

Jimbo

The game looks alright, far from Dimps best work, but a decent game nonetheless, some of the remixes are brilliant, and C.Sonics physics look good, giving me hope for S4 part 2, but the levels in general look like Sonic 4/boostfests, and the level list is flat out terrible. It looks like an enjoyable game overall, but I won't buy a 3DS just so I can get it.

I'm very curious as to why the soundtrack is so shoddy compared to the real game. Did they not give the SEGA Sound Team enough time or something?

I get the impression that the 3DS version wasn't green-lighted until around the time the HD version was announced, since we never got confirmation about it until much later. Dimps, believe it or not, aren't completely incompetent game designers, and have given us

titles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADK_3FONefs. I think that this game was Rushed (lol) to meet the same deadline as the HD version once it was approved. Remember how there were rumors of it being delayed until next year?

That's my theory, at least. The 3DS version feels like it was an afterthought altogether. I would have rather had the game be released in the first quarter of next year or instead have the time and effort poured into a new Sonic Rush entry instead, because this latest game is NOT helping Dimps recover their image.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 6

I get the impression that the 3DS version wasn't green-lighted until around the time the HD version was announced, since we never got confirmation about it until much later. Dimps, believe it or not, aren't completely incompetent game designers, and have given us some great handheld titles in the past. I think that this game was Rushed (lol) to meet the same deadline as the HD version once it was approved. Remember how there were rumors of it being delayed until next year?

That's my theory, at least. The 3DS version feels like it was an afterthought altogether. I would have rather had the game release in the first quarter of next year or instead have the time and effort poured into a new Sonic Rush entry altogether, because this latest game is NOT helping Dimps recover their image.

While I'm 100% sure the 3DS version went into development long after it's console counterpart, it definitely didn't go into development as late on as you think. The delayed announcement, which was rumoured practically right from the start, was part of a marketing scheme so it could be announced and showcased all at once by a Nintendo publication. On top of that, Iizuka spoke in one interview about the development process. Initially there was going to be a Wii version of Generations but the project was abolished pretty early on and all signs point to that eventually becoming Colours, while they decided to make a 3DS version instead. It was definitely, definitely approved long before April. The game isn't a mess, it's just bad. It may have been a little rushed but not to the point where the game would end up in the state it's in. Those rumours about it being delayed to next year were, IIRC, all founded on a mis-print somewhere. And if they were rumours that turned out to be false, well they aren't really evidence at all.

Dimps have, in recent years, proved themselves to be completely incompetent Sonic game developers. We've had Sonic 4, Unleashed Wii, two Rush clones with increasing stagnancy and now this nightmare. Their recent track record is pathetic.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Woah hey, the topic is open again! QUICK, LET'S **** AROUND WHILE SEAN ISN'T LOOKING

I might not be able to pick it up until the holidays anyway; I'm gonna have to procure a 3DS for myself first.

Though to those who plan on getting a 3DS with the game (North Americans, namely)... get this instead of the standard 3DS.

Edited by VizardJeffhog

some reviews are up

6.5 out of 10 for one review

and 3.5 out 5 for another review

the good thing is that the 6.5 has nothing to do with the level design, its the 3D effects and somewhat the controls that lowered the score.

I really don't get why they couldn't just use Colours graphics engine and port the game to the Wii. The "No Wii because no HD" statement is kinda dumb considering Colours looks almost like a 360 and PS3 title. It would've atleast been better than this.

So should we keep all 3DS reviews in the review topic or put them here?

JustPushStart 3DS Review: 3.5

/5

http://www.justpushs...ons-3ds-review/

The dialogue is passable at best and tends to make Sonic come off as arrogant rather than heroic and friendly.

Hmm...

---

DigitalTrends 3DS Review: 6.5/10

http://www.digitaltr...ons-3ds-review/

• Thumbs Up 3

I really don't get why they couldn't just use Colours graphics engine and port the game to the Wii. The "No Wii because no HD" statement is kinda dumb considering Colours looks almost like a 360 and PS3 title. It would've atleast been better than this.

First of all, Colours Wii looks nothing like a PS3/360 title. Ever at HD resolutions is doesn't scratch what the more powerful consoles can dish out: 1, 2. Secondly, it's not as simple as saying "oh lol lets just port it and put it a different graphics engine" when the entire game is built in such a way to accommodate the Hedgehog Engine. And from an artistic perspective they didn't want to have one version that was the same in every except with inferior visuals. So there were a bunch of reasons likely including:

• It's not so simple to make a low-end port as you seem to think it is.
  • They wanted the same game to be the same visually across platforms.
  • Crafting an entirely separate version for the Wii would have been considerably more expensive and time consuming, which simply wouldn't have been feasible with Colours out last year.
  • People are more likely going to buy two different games under the same name on different consoles than they are are the exact same game on different consoles.
  • They had an existing DS engine, and an opening for a Sonic game on the new 3DS.
  • The handheld Sonic games always sell well for years after they've been released.
  • Win/win situation.

So yeah, that's why.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 6

Don't forget that Unwiished, while it sold well and got nice reviews, was the cause of some fan backlash. They probably figured a standalone Wii title was a better idea, and they were right.

The problem is, a standalone 3DS title would ALSO have been a better idea.

Edited by Crazizzle
  • Thumbs Up 2

So should we keep all 3DS reviews in the review topic or put them here?

JustPushStart 3DS Review: 3.5

/5

http://www.justpushs...ons-3ds-review/

Hmm...

---

DigitalTrends 3DS Review: 6.5/10

http://www.digitaltr...ons-3ds-review/

Yeah Neon i think its best those go in the review topic. i don't want to keep track of 2 different topic for reviews.

Hmmm.... this 3DS version still looks half and half good to me... well... it's more good than bad. But I hope it's great!

Oh wow! That trailer made it seem incredible!

I think it has more to do with the controls

I think it has more to do with the controls

Uh, no. Sonic doesn't need that many buttons and if Colors could work on the Wii so could this. It has enough buttons to not even have to use motion control.

Uh, no. Sonic doesn't need that many buttons and if Colors could work on the Wii so could this. It has enough buttons to not even have to use motion control.

plus if they wanted to shoehorn some motion controls they could easily have done so in the colors stage. if the wii version was ever to exist I would have wanted another set of levels you know some sonic cd and sonic 3 proper level reps and such

So, is this game out yet officially ?

In America yes, Europe is 25th November

Also that trailer makes the game look way better than it is from the gameplay videos

I love how the last portion of "Modern Sonic" is classic Sonic xD

But really good trailer in my opinion. Was fun to watch.

Apologies if I've missed this anywhere, but how do you actually get to the Special Stages? Do they just unlock after completing the acts in a level, or is there some form of other requirement you need to fulfil to reach them?