Awoo.

Generations 3DS Chat - Oh look guys new rules (p.58)

Jimbo

More like they made a remix and used it twice

Yeah. I was joking^^.

Can we call it lazy?

Anyway, there are a lot of new versions of old tracks.

The new Nintendo Show on the 3DS eshop has a little Generations preview and they show off some footage that you can watch in 3D. There was nothing really noteworthy or new in the preview other seeing what'll look like on a 3DS.

Also

Windy and Ripply f*** yesssssssssssssssssssssss. Favorite song from Adventure and possibly from all of Sonic.

Overall, I love this list. The levels (sans the shitty Mushroom Hill) are all unique choices that also best represent the game they are from really well. Tropical Resort is especially a great choice for a final stage just for the sake of being everything full-circle, as well as giving a new, frenetic feel to a previous first level. I just wish they chose something better for Sonic and Knuckles, like Flying Battery or Lava Reef. I dunno, something more unique, that would cover a different trope. But beyond that, I love it. Also, note that all 7 levels are from games that all were incredibly well-received. If you wanna know why the 3DS version is getting rated so high compared to the HD version, there's one reason for ya. Is it fair? Nope. It's Chuck Testa.

The bosses are also excellent choices. The Big Arm is one of my favorite Genesis-era boss battles, and the fact that it appears in Sonic 3 ONLY when Sonic and Knuckles ISN'T locked on makes it a perfect way to represent the otherwise MIA Sonic 3. The Biolizard, next to Chaos, is all probably the most well-known MOTW in the franchise, and the boss battle is definitely one of the best in the franchise. Even though Shadow originally fought it, it deserved to be in simply because of its iconic value. Plus, I gotta say, having Sonic traverse these portions of history that Shadow originally tackled puts a unique spin on things, kinda referencing Shadow's importance in Adventure 2, as well as sorta setting up a "what if" situation where Sonic takes Shadow's place, giving it the feel of being fresher content than simply putting him back into a situation that he did already. And the Egg Emperor, next to the Dragoon, is probably the best example of a final boss, ego-maniacal Modern Eggman mech, so it's a great choice. Plus, it'll be interesting to see how 2 previously all-3D bosses are tackled in 2D.

There all seems to be a lot of content, with just as many missions, if not more, than the HD version. Plus that Emerald Coast vid showed off a handful of branching paths, much more variety than, say, MUSHROOM HILL or somethin' (I'm starting to hate that level...). And so far, the music is sex; Modern Tropical Resort sounds like an honest-to-God remix of the track, rather than Planet Wisp's copy-and-paste. And holy shit... Windy and Ripply remix.... dear Lord, thank you Sega, thank you.

So overall, it seems pretty well-done in terms of content selection. Not too shabby, Dimps.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 2

I cannot believe how unimpressive Moderns Emerald Coast is.

You were expecting some sort of sandbox-esque level?

No I was expecting it to be less empty.

content is in the eyes of the beholder then. i saw alot to do if you don't want to boost the entire time

• Thumbs Up 1

peoplecomplainingaboutcrappylevelbeingremadecrappy

Anyways, the game looks pretty good. I'm wondering if the "homing attack chains" for Classic Sonic can be bounce hopped.

No I was expecting it to be less empty.

After seeing Green Hill and Mushroom Hill in full, it's you're fault for expecting it not to be empty. tongue.png

This game just looks plain terrible. It's so lazy, so tiny, so inferior to it's console counterpart... there's no justification for any of it. It even fails to interest me on the basis of nostalgia. I know that's a subjective matter, but the level selection somehow managed to be less appealing to me than the console version and doesn't have the benefit of the stages being creatively re-imagined to fall back on either. Dimps have got to fucking up their game. SEGA/Sonic Team may or may not have them on a tight leash, it's difficult to tell. Regardless of that though their games are consistently sucking now. First Unleashed Wii, then S4E1, Colours DS and now this. The sad thing is how fan reception tends to be very different to critical reception, and the sales are always great. I'm gonna guess this will be more successful than the PS3, 360 and PC versions. *sigh*

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

Jesus. That Emerald Coast gameplay looks horrible. It's honestly one of the most linear games i've ever seen. Straight Line Coast or what?

And it's still probably going to beat the console version in terms of reviews. Ugh!

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 6

"Zones are nothing but straight lines! How can this shit beat the console version in scores?!"

All posts in a nutshell. You may close this thread now.

• Thumbs Up 5

Are you really upset that the 3DS version will score higher? Green Hill and Mushroom Hill looked great to me. Emerald Coast has several alternate paths and it seems it would be perfect in multiplayer.

The 3DS version will be a ton of fun to play offline and head to head racing. A feature that will keep me coming back to play those same levels.

Edit: So pretty much, play the game before you bash it and call it crap. Especially when you're basing your opinion on Emerald Coast.

Edited by Autosaver

"Zones are nothing but straight lines! How can this shit beat the console version in scores?!"

All posts in a nutshell. You may close this thread now.

yeah this is gunna be the reaction from now on. this thread basically is what is going to turn into thoses kind of posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jesus. That Emerald Coast gameplay looks horrible. It's honestly one of the most linear games i've ever seen.

I notice that the use of the word linear in your post makes it sound like a derogatory term.

Are you really upset that the 3DS version will score higher? Green Hill and Mushroom Hill looked great to me. Emerald Coast has several alternate paths and it seems it would be perfect in multiplayer.

The 3DS version will be a ton of fun to play offline and head to head racing. A feature that will keep me coming back to play those same levels.

Edit: So pretty much, play the game before you bash it and call it crap. Especially when you're basing your opinion on Emerald Coast.

i also agree with the 110% Thigolf at one point took the bottom route where the bridges where at the same time there was a portion at the top.

Edited by team chaotix

I don't care what everyone else says. This game looks FUN. There, I said it. It looks fun, and I want to buy it. Sure, it will go nowhere near the console version in terms of gameplay, but in terms of longevity...

I think that might be a different story.

Plus, DAT MUSIC

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't care what everyone else says. This game looks FUN. There, I said it. It looks fun, and I want to buy it. Sure, it will go nowhere near the console version in terms of gameplay, but in terms of longevity...

I think that might be a different story.

Plus, DAT MUSIC

I'd buy it too. Don't have a 3DS but I'd buy it.

I kind of wish they'd let Dimps make an actual game that they came up with and designed...Sonic 4 wasn't their idea. Colors, Generations and Unwiished were ports. When they did things their own way, the games were mostly quality and even unique on occasion. Screw SA3. Can we get an actual Sonic Rush 3 instead of ports?

Anyways, the game looks like something I'd enjoy ...but it isn't worth 40$ to me. It'll be cheaper when I get a 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know I don't talk a whole lot on here (mostly a lurker to be honest except for one post a while back haha XD), but I think people are forgetting a few things when it comes to comparing the two versions, and it's that...both shouldn't be compared, because they're geared towards different audiences.

Let me elaborate a little. The HD version of Sonic Generations is geared towards, of course, the console experience. One where you sit in front of the TV (big or small) and play in the comfort of your home. Sometimes hours, sometimes a few minutes.

The 3DS version is geared towards the handheld market. The majority of people don't play handheld games at home (there are of course exceptions...like myself), they play them on the go. Therefore, the levels in this game were designed for that kind of play. Those expecting something similar to the console experience in terms of depth aren't going to get it on the 3DS, nor should they expect to. It's a handheld game designed for, more or less, quick play.

Does that excuse the lack of relatively interesting level design in the 3DS version?

No.

Should Dimps up their game for the next release?

Most certainly.

My main point is that each game in the reviewers eyes is being judged based on these factors :

Generations HD : How does it stack up as a console game, one that you sit in the comfort of your own home and play for hours

Generations 3DS : How does it stack up as a handheld game, one that you can pick up and play for a few minutes at a time.

Just my two cents on it, and it's not meant to offend anyone, just making a point XD

• Thumbs Up 3

Given that there appears to be very little to do in the Modern levels other than boost, you can certainly judge that half of the game by video. You don't need to play it to see that it's empty.

Also, it being Emerald Coast (or any other level for that matter) doesn't matter at all. We should be seeing vast improvements upon the original levels, just as we did in the HD version. Emerald Coast is the fourth level this time around too, so there should definitely be more going on than if it were the intro level again.

Here, i'll show you the level design for every Modern level we've seen in the 3DS version...

_______________O_______________O________OO________----------_____________O_______O______________

Someone exaggerated the level design, definitely not even close.

And again, these levels seem PERFECT for online multiplayer. Especially with the fact there are a lot of multiple routes.

Also, it being Emerald Coast (or any other level for that matter) doesn't matter at all. We should be seeing vast improvements upon the original levels, just as we did in the HD version. Emerald Coast is the fourth level this time around too, so there should definitely be more going on than if it were the intro level again.

That wasn't the point. Just wait for the rest of the game's levels and then you can make fun of the game all you want. Not really liking people complaining about the game when we've seen 3/7 levels.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

I kind of wish they'd let Dimps make an actual game that they came up with and designed...Sonic 4 wasn't their idea. Colors, Generations and Unwiished were ports. When they did things their own way, the games were mostly quality and even unique on occasion. Screw SA3. Can we get an actual Sonic Rush 3 instead of ports?

Anyways, the game looks like something I'd enjoy ...but it isn't worth 40$ to me. It'll be cheaper when I get a 3DS.

this is what the problem really is if people would stop comparing the hd version that can easily produce a whole lot of power to a handheld that produces sufficient power then people would like it more.

No game on the 3DS has shown to produce what a console would do. Even Super Mario 3d Land's background is empty if you want to go that far.

• Thumbs Up 1

That wasn't the point. Just wait for the rest of the game's levels and then you can make fun of the game all you want. Not really liking people complaining about the game when we've seen 3/7 levels.

When we've seen almost HALF of the stages? This didn't fly with Generations on consoles and it won't fly now. Sure other stages proved to be better than GHZ on the console, but that's already been proven (as far as opinions go mind) not to be case for this version. If the game looks bad, then it looks bad. The way you're putting it people shouldn't praise a game either when we've only seen 3 out of 7 stages.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1