Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Game)

Eternal EX

Might be cool.

I had alot of fun with Spider man 2, probably the best Spider man game I've played next to the first (non movie) one on PS1

What do they mean by ' too simple'? The swinging in the two previous games looked fine.

This game has air-webbing.

It destroys the probability of dynamic physic-based webbing which was what made Spider-Man 2 so timeless even to this day. The swinging in that game was pretty much perfect and it allowed for perfect maneuverability depending on the situation. Having to web in accordance to buildings and their structure was what made the game both fun and deep. It was fast, smooth and, dare I say it, realistic even.

Web swinging is Spider-Man's equivalent to Sonic's 2D physics. If the slightest pinch is off track, the immersion can completely evaporate in just a split second.

• Thumbs Up 7

To add on, Beenox's web swinging from the past 2 games were trash. I'm sorry it just had to be said. That was the worst web swinging I've had to deal with since the PS1 games. (and those were great compared to Beenox's last two games.)

And it seems like the game's web slinging could have benefited from it. Sky swinging seems completely unnecessary since web rush needs to interact with the environment just like the webbing used to. I mean web rush combined with webs attached to buildings would have been ideal for situations where you are not close to tall buildings or you are in an area with low altitude buildings.

Sky webbing is pretty dumb but, it's not a deal breaker for me. I did love the hell out of the swinging in Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spidey, though.

Well aint that interesting. "The video is no longer available due to" fucking activision.

You say that like they don't have every reason to remove it.

Sorry about that guys, but it looks like there's nothing we can do about it.

Anyway, after watching some of the playthrough before it was removed, I can say this: the outcome of the movie is definitely spoiled fairly early in the game, so I'd recommend you wait to see the movie before playing the game.

-Apparently when the Lizard is defeated, Conners was turned back to normal and was put in an insane asylum.

-The Lizard apparently kills Gwen Stacy's father, Captain George Stacy at some point in the film.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

My thoughts on Sky-Webbing

Otmsj.jpg

And some great news! Someone over at Gaf found a place in Los Angeles who broke the street date and is selling the game early. Here's some impressions of what the PS3 version is like. Here's the thread as well

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479665

Alright, here we go.

Ps3 owners will be greeted with a 19mb patch upon bootup.

Game has a pre-main menu cinematic of live action/in game assets for an oscorp infomercial. Its a neat touch that has a deus ex human revolution/mgs 4 Logan vibe. Starting the game now. Feel free to ask any questions.

Options

3 difficulties. Super hero is the highest with this info "A stealthier approach is advised if you wish to live in danger as a real super hero would!'

No control mapping options.

Map orientation can be set to rotating or static.

Web rush cursor display: always, in selector, never.

In-world markers: on, off. I'll find one specifically what this does in a bit but I think they're the 3D map markers in the screen.

Combat flows reaaaaaallllyyyy well. I think the people we've been watching play on YouTube are just awful. Linking in web grabs, finishers and counters is pretty damn good. Spiderman model looks fantastic. Still inside, yet to see the city.

Controls are pretty tight.

Just entered the city, swinging system isn't as bad as I thought. You can let go of the swing before he vaults up to reduce that insane altitude gain and keep powering down a street. Really good sense of speed at street level, combining that with web rush along buses and various objects is actually pretty fun.

The actual "hey idiot, press triangle to dodge" bits seem to go away after the first mission it so but the PRESS R1 to web attack or whatever it is seems to always be there. There is 0 variation or depth to the swing system. You're either holding R2 or you're web rushing. Doing what I'm doing (releasing R2 before the upward arc) is clearly not intended as it offers no linked acrobatic movement other than the same canned roll over and over. Sorry webheads.

The big problem isn't cloud swinging. It's the lack of momentum, floaty physics, and lack of variation/control.

Swinging complaints aside the first boss battle makes you feel more like Spiderman than in previous games I've played. Very epic and cinematic.

Also Controls L2 could have been used as a turbo or web zip if pressed with R2, anything to add depth to the locomotion but no. It has to be a dedicated camera?

Combat is solid. Comic book collecting is a nice distraction I suppose. The in your face press R1 to collect comic book prompt every 4 seconds while swinging will drive you a little mad though.

Chapter 5 makes all the bullshit in this game worth it. Wow Beenox, hats off to you. Best battle in Manhattan in a Spider-Man game.

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

Yeah. Indoor environments are a big focus in the game and they're not exactly handled flawlessly. Harder to control in interiors under pressure. Playing on the highest difficulty is a big mistake while not having everything down, you die in 3 hits and when you go, the loading can be up to a minute with the added bonus of bad checkpoints making you watch or listen to the same cutscene over and over in a difficult area.

Combat really tries to be Batman but can't match the level of polish. Counter timing is rather small which isn't a bad thing but the counter icon can blend into white backgrounds and since it's tied above spideys head, it can be hard to see when he's flipping around etc. The big set pieces outside are great and make me wonder why there's any emphasis indoors at all. Maybe the stuff inside plays better on lower difficulties.

I have no idea what percentage of the story is complete but I'm on Chapter 6. Story has been relatively engaging, one surprisingly well acted moment that caught me off guard recently where the typical cheese/sarcastic Spiderman goes away briefly. Peter is staying at someone's apartment in the game that acts as a sort of HQ where you can replay missions, check stats, change costumes and talk to a certain someone. I won't spoil who's place it is, it's a funny reveal.

More side missions are unlocking recently including a cameo related activity. There's an enemy type you'll occasionally run into that if not dispatched quickly will trigger a mini boss, that spices up open world along with the addition of oscorp snipers. Snipers are instant death on super hero difficulty if you don't play smart. Upgrade system is serviceable although the unlocks aren't nearly as varied or impressive as I'd hoped. 2 categories, combat and tech or character and tech, can't remember. Combat upgrades are directly tied to XP as you'd imagine but tech is actually resource based.

As you fight oscorp bots or find tech pickups in levels you gain tech points to spend on those upgrades. Tech upgrades as you'd imagine are entirely web related and so far almost completely useless except for web shooter speed, get that shit. You use it in practically every boss fight.

Based on what I've played although it's rough, this is shaping up to be the best Spider-Man game yet.

There's a lot to improve but it's an impressive first open world outing by Beenox. It's confusing that they've failed to make the indoor sections compelling, given their background in linear-focused games and there's a lot to improve overall. Certain moments will have you forgetting or forgiving if only temporarily and replacing that thought with "Damn. I'm Spider-Man."

No performance issues that I've seen. I was actually shocked that the outdoor setpieces are very smooth, the game looks amazing during those pieces. Only thing that bothers me is the AA. Hard edges buzz most noticeably indoors.

I think anyone that has enjoyed the Spider-Man games should give it at least a rental. As for length I'm 7 1/2 hours in and the story is still going. I feel like it's about to end but I can't be sure.

Someone also asks him if this is as good or better then the Batman games. he says "No, it's a fair amount worse."

And here's two videos I found. One is about swinging during the sunset, (no spoilers besides how torn up the suit becomes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa4G3vJSwK0

And this next one is kinda important. It shows how LONG the loading times are. I mean holy shit, it reminds me of Sonic 06, but almost somehow worst! I hope this isn't with all the loading screens. (Spoilers in video IF you go behind the time I marked, or after the time where the loading screen is over. Also shows some movie spoilers so be wary. )

Loading screen is from 14:32 to 15:15. That's 43 seconds!

http://www.youtube.c...PHbBmL1o#t=872s

(Not Embedded due to spoiler in thumbnail)

Edited by Nintendoga

He says the tight controls and combat is good, not as good as the Batman games, but pretty good.

But the swinging mechanics, that's a deal breaker for me. He says there's no depth nor variety to it. Just holding down R1 and Web Rushing all the time. Lack of momentum and control during the Swinging, which I don't want to play with.

This is one of those games where I really wish they'd have made a console demo. Maybe there's a tiny possibility for one this Tuesday/Wednesday, but I doubt it.

Was gonna buy at launch, but sorry Beenox and Stan Lee. Not even you are enough to warrant $60 if the swinging isn't good. Gonna catch during a sale.

Edited by Nintendoga

Web swinging looks good, but the whole web bending shit is annoying. (sorry I'm still hyped after Legend of Korra yesterday) Web bending as in seeing Spidey swing through the sky without his web touching anything. Come on Beenox, it's 2012. You should not be doing that especially when all of Spidey's previous games after Spidey 2 (movie) did it right.

Edit: screw buying this a full price. I'll wait a week or 2 and buy it used from my local Entertain mart for about $40 or less.

Edited by Eternal X

The web-swinging looks pretty good to me, actually. I don't really have a problem with it being air-webbing, unless we can web over the water around New York without any buildings, then I'd be kind-of upset. XP

• Thumbs Up 5

The web-swinging looks pretty good to me, actually. I don't really have a problem with it being air-webbing, unless we can web over the water around New York without any buildings, then I'd be kind-of upset. XP

I'd probably agree, but even then I wouldn't mind too much since then I wouldn't have freaking annoying challenges like in Spider-Man 2 (I hated that UFO mission,) and of course, abusing games can be fun. Still, if it's not too game-breaking it won't be a big deal. Given the camera angles and the animation, the web-swinging looks a lot better, so between that and Web Rush I'm looking forward to exploring the open world. At the very least, it will be worth it for all the comic books and other collectibles we'll be able to see.

Yaaaay! It's out today, I wonder when Amazon will send my copy...hm....

IGN's review, 7/10

I'm liking what I'm hearing, though I'm dissapointed to hear about the air-webbing. That might ruin the immersion for me a bit, but it's not like I *have* to swing above the buildings. Regardless, I'd love to go get it but I kind of forgot that June is official "bunch of holidays and birthdays" month for me, so I'm gonna have to save up again for a couple more weeks.

I suppose it's just as well. I get the feeling I should see the movie before playing this anyway.

God damn, I have to wait a week! UGHHHH! Well, atleast the playable Stan Lee will be worth it...

Haha oh wow,

Apparently (I don't know if it happens when you beat the story or 100% the game) the people who bought the game last week, say that the random crimes in the city stop.

Yes, this game has finite random crimes.

...why?

Edited by Nintendoga

Haha oh wow,

Apparently (I don't know if it happens when you beat the story or 100% the game) the people who bought the game last week, say that the random crimes in the city stop.

Yes, this game has finite random crimes.

...why?

Hmmm, I'd be curious to hear more about this. That's something that always bugged me with Ultimate. The random crimes never stopped, but whenever I beat the story I would always notice that they appeared less and less frequently, getting to the point where I'd turn the game on and wait an entire twenty minutes before something happened.

I'll be keeping an ear out. This could just be an easily-patchable glitch for all we know.

Hmmm, I'd be curious to hear more about this. That's something that always bugged me with Ultimate. The random crimes never stopped, but whenever I beat the story I would always notice that they appeared less and less frequently, getting to the point where I'd turn the game on and wait an entire twenty minutes before something happened.

I'll be keeping an ear out. This could just be an easily-patchable glitch for all we know.

It's probably more so intentional, probably to make the player feel like a real hero by stopping all the crime in the city.

...which is dumb because if there's no crime then you're just swinging around , which was fun in SP2, but in this game I dunno....