Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Game)

Eternal EX

Where did you hear this, anyway? I've been looking through Google, and the only people I see talking about this are on Gamefaqs, as such I am forced to take this with a huge lump of salt. And to answer the question:

(I don't know if it happens when you beat the story or 100% the game)

The few people I see talking about it are saying they stop after 100% completion. It's still incredibly annoying that the developers would even consider doing this, but that doesn't sound quite as bad as I had thought. I mean by that point you may as well just start the game over anyway. *shrug*

Not to mention if this is the case, 100% completion would include the 700 comic pages, right? Since there's no way to track them (from what I've heard) I have no intention of even trying to get them. In which case, this might not be an issue for me.

Edited by Speederino

Where did you hear this, anyway? I've been looking through Google, and the only people I see talking about this are on Gamefaqs, as such I am forced to take this with a huge lump of salt. And to answer the question:

From the people who got the game early on Gaf

Yeah, this game is pretty fun. I'm quite a ways in, lots of stuff to do, enjoying the web-swinging.

Holy shit, New York City is glorious. The web swinging is not all that bad either.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

I got to play it for a bit today thanks to my brother.

Good things:

- Combat is great. While it doesn't appear to be as deep as the Arkham games, it still pulls off the basics pretty much flawlessly.

- Swinging is a blast. Yes, it's cloud swinging. But dropping a bajillion feet at a high velocities only to shoot a web at the last second is an absolutel joy. While you can technically just hold in R2 and keep swinging forever, I find it's way more fun if you treat it like the other games and purposely let go of the button (thus detaching the webline) before casting another web.

- Web rush is awesome, it adds a whole new layer of depth to web swinging and is very satisfying in combat.

- I'm getting a real kick out of the fake Twitter feed. They're fun to read and it makes me feel like my actions are having actual impact on the populace.

Bad things:

- (Note: I need to stress that I'm very early on in the game and won't be playing it again for another week or two. As such I'm not sure if this accurate, but this is my understanding so far) Crimes are indeed finite. In fact, this is mishandled so poorly I can't believe someone on the development team didn't take action against this. You see, after a story mission a few crime markers pop up on your map. You're free to do them, but no more will pop up until you beat the next story mission. Why in the crap isn't this mentioned in more reviews? I mean come on Beenox, swinging around and stopping random crime is what drew us in in the first place. Why would you limit such an important aspect of these games!?

- The map is pathetically small. The best comparison I can think of is the city map from Spider-Man 3...on the DS. It might be roughly the same size as Ultimate's Manhattan, but at least that also gave us Queens to swing around in, and since the webswinging here is much faster you can get from one end of the island to the other in a ridiculously short amount of time without even trying.

I'll have more complete impressions in a couple of weeks. Oh, and if you're worried about the movie being spoiled for you, THEN FOR THE LOVE OF STAN LEE DO NOT PLAY THIS YET! Why in the fuck did they release this an entire week before the film!?

Edited by Speederino

It actually isn't cloud swinging, technically. I noticed you can't actually swing unless you're near buildings, so I don't quite know why they have the web into the sky animation.

It actually isn't cloud swinging, technically. I noticed you can't actually swing unless you're near buildings, so I don't quite know why they have the web into the sky animation.

I've swung over open water and above small buildings with no larger ones close enough by to feasibly attach a web to.

Personally, I never found the web sticking to a building to be all that important. I love web-swinging, but I really sucked at it because I would always press the right trigger in Spiderman 2 and then realize there were no tall buildings around. tongue.png So thankfully I probably won't mind the magic cloud swinging mechanic.

Since the Arkham games came out, a Spiderman game with a heavy influence from them was always my dream game. Or of course, a Spiderman game that broke as many boundaries as the Arkham games did in their own way. But this seems to be the next best thing. Movie games usually go down in price pretty fast so I probably will wait a bit before I pick it up. I want to see the movie first anyway. But wow, the web-rush and stealth mechanics look especially fun.

Edited by RidersDX

Gotta say, I think the visuals are mighty fine. I don't know why IGN's complaining. But then again, I thought the same of Generation's visuals and they marked the game down on them I believe.

Seen footage of Stan on Youtube (It's actually available for £2.39 already on PSN) and can actually say oh dear. I love Stan, he's a great guy. He's like a living comic character. Yet, his acting is so cheesy in his bit of the game. It's a bit too over the top. Still awesome to play as mind you.

Picked up the game for 360 on Tuesday and finished the story mode this morning. The game is definitely a lot better than Shattered Dimensions (I haven't played Edge of Time, but heard it wasn't good either), but it isn't great. The combat is fun but could use some more polish, definitely not as good or fun as the Arkham games though.

Web swinging is fun, but not as fun as it could have been, at times I felt the camera was to close to Spider-Man to be able accurately pin point landings. Spider-Man 2 is definitely better, even 3.

The car chases and other random crimes were pretty much the same as Spider-Man 2 and 3, but I felt those games did it better.

I found the story to be pretty boring and didn't really care for how they pretty much turned classic villains like Rhino and Scorpion into mindless ugly animals. I get they were going for realism but c'mon. The only things I really liked about the story was the inclusion of Smythe and the Spider-Slayers. It brought back fond memories of the 90's series.

Sam Riegel isn't a bad actor by any means, but IMO he was miscast as Spider-Man in this. If Maguire hadn't been the voice (I really wish he wasn't) for Spidey in the games based on the Raimi films, Riegel would have been the perfect stand in cause to me his Spidey voice is more Tobey like and he can actually act. But here Sam sounds nothing like Garfield at all and it just doesn't match the character. I honestly don't understand why they didn't just cast Josh Keaton for the role. He doesn't sound like Garfield either, but it certainly would have fit better. Even Chris Barnes or Rino Romano would've been awesome.

Overall there is definitely room for improvement, the gameplay, story, and voices only made me want a quality Spider-Man game that isn't tied to the movies even more. But as long as Activision has the license it'll never happen. Spidey definitely needs a Rocksteady.

Edited by Kamina
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've swung over open water and above small buildings with no larger ones close enough by to feasibly attach a web to.

Doesn't work for me, I take the plunge.

Edit: Also, Spider-Man 3 is NOT better than this game. Spider-Man 3 is shit.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

Edit: Also, Spider-Man 3 is NOT better than this game. Spider-Man 3 is shit.

Edited by Kamina

*Really still doesn't get the hate for SM3 game*

I mean hey, it's still miles above most other movie licensed games. Your mileage may vary on how much of a difference that makes, though.

*Really still doesn't get the hate for SM3 game*

I mean hey, it's still miles above most other movie licensed games. Your mileage may vary on how much of a difference that makes, though.

I was able to make the sun flicker in and out of existence, make a building look like it was made of plastic, and plant a guy on top of a taxi's windshield as it drove away.

... Yeah, it's shit.

I was able to make the sun flicker in and out of existence, make a building look like it was made of plastic, and plant a guy on top of a taxi's windshield as it drove away.

... Yeah, it's shit.

Never seen any of that, really.

Well, not on the HD version anyway. I could make a huuuuuuuuge list of the crazy ass shit I've seen in the Wii version.

How subtle is this game's cloud swinging?

I mean take Web of Shadows. The game had cloud swinging, but they made almost no effort to hide it. If you looked up you could easily see the web sticking to nothing but thin air. You could only web swing when buildings were around, but they never stuck to them. Almost never, which always baffled me.

Then again WoS isn't a very polished game.

How subtle is this game's cloud swinging?

I mean take Web of Shadows. The game had cloud swinging, but they made almost no effort to hide it. If you looked up you could easily see the web sticking to nothing but thin air. You could only web swing when buildings were around, but they never stuck to them. Almost never, which always baffled me.

Then again WoS isn't a very polished game.

The cloud swinging is still pretty blatant but, at least you can't see it sticking to the sky like in WoS. You also really can't seem to swing unless you're near buildings. If you're too high up, you'll fall until you reach buildings again.

Never seen any of that, really.

Well, not on the HD version anyway. I could make a huuuuuuuuge list of the crazy ass shit I've seen in the Wii version.

The problem with the Wii version is that it's basically a chopped up variant of the HD versions, rights? Downgraded textures, models, etc.

Hrm, interesting. With the other Beenox games, they were just downgraded. What the hell did they do to it?

No, the Wii version is its own separate version of the game. And to call it unpolished is an insult to unpolished games everywhere.

Did someone say unpolished game?

sonicthehedgehog.jpg

But seriously, WOS was not as bad as you guys say it was. It was still better than Spidey 3 so that's all that matters in my book. Hell I think WOS is superior to SD.

Hrm, interesting. With the other Beenox games, they were just downgraded. What the hell did they do to it?

The Wii/PS2/PSP version of SM3 was developed by Vicarious Visions. It's really an entirely different game from the HD versions. Now to be fair, the game did do some things I like. Hell, in some cases it does things a bit better than the HD version, such as the way the black suit is handled and the better variety of random events. And the web swinging? AWESOME! Oh sure, those of you who absolutely detest motion controls probably wouldn't like it as much, otherwise it's actually worth renting just to check it out. I'd even go as far to say it's my favorite version of web swinging ever, yes, including Spider-Man 2's.

But as much as I like these elements, the presentation ruins the game as a whole. Animations are choppy, civilians walk through parked cars, textures pop in and out so often that the city sometimes looks like a bunch of Lego bricks, the voice acting is inconsistent to a laughable degree (Example: there's a random event where you have to return a lost boy to his mother. Only the boy is black and the mother is a white woman with a terribly fake Asian accent. Like, so fake it's borderline racist) , and some of the random events are just dumb. Yes, I laughed the first time I had to stop crooks from stealing fruit pies (It's a reference that only the most hardcore of Spidey fans will get), but after the 30th time? After then getting a mission where you have to *deliver* fruit pies? Yeah, no, even the dead horse is beating a dead horse by that point.

Oh and let's not forget the numerous game breaking glitches and major game design flaws. It's cool that you can eradicate a gang off the map, but you can do so only to reach a story mission that requires you to interrogate members of said gang. In which case, you're shit out of luck.

Edited by Speederino

But seriously, WOS was not as bad as you guys say it was. It was still better than Spidey 3 so that's all that matters in my book. Hell I think WOS is superior to SD.

WoS isn't a bad game, Story is okay, Controls are good, Combat was alright, and the swinging for the most part was fine. Plus I really did like how you could have more air-focused battles.

But the thing is it was so unpolished. Like enemies would dissapear out of nowhere whether you're near them, or fighting them. Camera would jerk around lots of times when fighting on walls, the game would randomly get large amounts of slowdown, to the point of where the game would actually freeze and load the city because you were swinging too fast. It made alot of things in WoS very awkward.