Awoo.

modern demo?

jords

Can someone please explain to me why M. Sonic's sliding...is about 10x better momentum wise than C. Sonic's rolling?

I mean I am fine with the way Classic Sonic plays, but really Sonic Team....really...?

I'm serious guys try some slopes and hold down the the stomp button after going up in the air...it will amaze you the momentum M. Sonic has.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 2

Can someone please explain to me why M. Sonic's sliding...is about 10x better momentum wise than C. Sonic's rolling?

I mean I am fine with the way Classic Sonic plays, but really Sonic Team....really...?

I'm serious guys try some slopes and hold down the the stomp button after going up in the air...it will amaze you the momentum M. Sonic has.

They should have switched those around.

Also, what the hell is up with your signature. Is May raping Pikachu!!!!!!??????

The momentum Modern Sonic getas in regards to boosting/sliding is actually...similar to classic psychics in some ways. A lot of the fun in Modern Sonic in the Unleashed trilogy is timing the boost and slide and air dash to exploit the levels. I still find fun tweaks to exploit in Unleashed.

Hey guys i need some help,could anyone explain me in detail how does the trick/combo system works? i already know holding the stick in one direction gives me a combo that barely fills the gauge and that i should just choose different directions after each move but how do i do the "FINISH" move?

Hey guys i need some help,could anyone explain me in detail how does the trick/combo system works? i already know holding the stick in one direction gives me a combo that barely fills the gauge and that i should just choose different directions after each move but how do i do the "FINISH" move?

Holding the stick one way gets more tricks in, but less boost per trick. Doing it in one direction then the other (and alternating) seems to do more boost per trick but you'll get less tricks in. The finisher is done using the LB and RB at the same time on the 360 version. If you're playing the PS3 version, I can't remember what the equivalent buttons are, so someone else will have to cover that.

Or something like that.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Holding the stick one way gets more tricks in, but less boost per trick. Doing it in one direction then the other (and alternating) seems to do more boost per trick but you'll get less tricks in. The finisher is done using the LB and RB at the same time on the 360 version. If you're playing the PS3 version, I can't remember what the equivalent buttons are, so someone else will have to cover that.

Or something like that.

On PS3 its R1, R2, L1 and L2 at once. At least

Anyone else notice that on the very last section of modern greenhill before the goal ring, it completely takes out the ability to drift?

I thought I'd broken my analog sticks that first time I noticed. @_@

Also, my highest combo that I've "FINISHED!" so far is 6, on the ramp right before the cave. And that's with holding different directions each time, not just holding a single direction and getting barely and boost.

On PS3 its R1, R2, L1 and L2 at once. At least

WRONG!

It's just R1 and L1. You're holdin' way too many buttons, pardner.

Edit: HAH! FINALLY! 1:53 in modern!!!

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Or something like that.

On PS3 its R1, R2, L1 and L2 at once. At least I do it this way.

May as well give my two cents:

Classic Sonic: Feels much better than he did in June, with the jump and air control being improved. The spin dash is still overpowered, but it's not a big deal, it still serves the same purpose. Also noticed that Sonic sometimes couldn't run through loops even at full-speed. Overall though, it's a soild attempt by SEGA to give some good Genesis-style gameplay. Is it perfect? No. But, it's sitll pretty damn enjoyable, and a huge step up from Sonic 4. Hopefully the later levels can give C.Sonic a real chance to shine, and from what i've seen of the previews, it might just happen.

Modern Sonic: Holy hell can he control better than in Unleashed and Colours. Now he doesn't feel like he's on ice all the time. The shorter and quickly draining boost gauge is nicely balanced with collecting rings, defeating enemies and pulling off tricks. The Homing Attack no longer has an all conquering radius, and the overall feel of M.Sonics jumping and movement feels solid. The drift is fantastically well done here, being much tighter than it's predecessors. The level is a bit of a boostfest though. But again, later levels seems to give M.Sonic a more varied and fun playground. Hell, Green Hill was probably more complex that a lot of Unleashed and even some of Colours. Can't complain with that I've got here at the moment though, I'm already trying to perfect my run and break the 2 minute mark, which was something I always loved about Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 2

I tried this for 10 minutes...amazing stuff.

Got 1.52 on Modern Green Hill. Can't remember the other seconds. Still having a blast with the demo.

Edited by BlueEagle21

Why can't i just run through the loops with classic Sonic? WHY do i have to use shit-dash everytime?

30 frames per second? REALLY?!

Shit rolling...

Boosting = almost no music.

Except for ^this. I like.

Edited by Michael Myers

Why can't i just run through the loops with classic Sonic? WHY do i have to use shit-dash everytime?

Shit rolling...

Except for ^this. I like.

Because you can't sustain your max speed?

Sonic Unleashed was also 30 frames per second for the Xbox 360...the PS3 version had 60fps but it was unstable!

I don't see what's so bad about having a 30fps running game, look at the graphics, do you really think that these current consoles can render all of it at 60fps?! If you want to blame someone/something, then blame the consoles for being 6 years old...get the PC version if the framerate bothers you that much since I'm sure it'll run @ 60fps in the PC version.

I expect that all Sonic games on the PS4/Xbox 720 should run at 60fps though.

Shit rolling...

I can relate to that...hell, we all can.

I wouldn't go as far as to say there's no music...if it bothers you that much then you can turn down the sound effects in the full game.

Edited by KrazyBean14

The more I play, the more I come to the conclusion that classic Sonic is good ideas done poorly and modern Sonic is bad ideas done well. If I didn't trust that Sonic Team is incompetent rather than malicious, I'd think they were sabotaging classic Sonic so people would shut up and accept what they'd rather be making.

• Thumbs Up 1

The more I play, the more I come to the conclusion that classic Sonic is good ideas done poorly and modern Sonic is bad ideas done well.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

Err... So does this mean you hate C.Sonic but like Modern? Or is it the other way around?

The more I play, the more I come to the conclusion that classic Sonic is good ideas done poorly and modern Sonic is bad ideas done well. If I didn't trust that Sonic Team is incompetent rather than malicious, I'd think they were sabotaging classic Sonic so people would shut up and accept what they'd rather be making.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 6

Because you're not playing the game very well?

All you have to do is build up your speed when you approach them, it did work like that in Sonic 1 as well.

I don't know. I've tried at least three times to cross the big loop at the very first upper path of the level (the one where the bridge collapses) and every time I attempt to do nothing other than holding right to win, he fails to keep it up.

There's one or two other loops where this is a problem as well. After that one checkpoint when you run down the spiral bridge, if you stop running, you won't be able to pick up the momentum needed to run around that half-circle curve at that point either, and you'll be forced to spindash.

The problem seems to be with me that the loops designed in the Classic levels are far too big than the game's standard velocity can handle. They should have either increased Sonic's standard speed, or better yet, downsized the loops. Running a loop with Modern Sonic is completely seamless. Running one with Classic is sometimes awkward.

@Dio

Making something you don't like (in this case I am referring to Modern gameplay) doesn't make them incompetant. They are competantly making something that was determined to be popular. Its working.

I'm actually not sure if you're being serious or not.
Serious as I've ever been.

I would like to say that I wholeheartedly agree with this big lug right here.
I think it's a load of crap.

It's obvious that if you design a game around one set of mechanics, you can't apply an entirely different set of mechanics to those levels and expect everything to work out. The problem is that Sonic Team made this faux-classic gameplay to start with, then built levels around it. If they knew what they were doing, they would've gotten the gameplay right first, and the level design would naturally follow.

Plus, I'm not asking for a 100% identical engine. I don't mind tweaking the engine, as long as two things are true; one, it makes the game better, and two, it remains faithful to the core concepts. If the levels are too big for 100% Genesis-accurate rolling physics, then have Sonic gain more speed while rolling down slopes. It would take some time to adjust, but it wouldn't violate either of those two rules. At the very least, I can't see it being worse than having the roll as useless as it is in Generations.

And I don't deny that Generations is worlds better than '06, and a bit better than Unleashed. That does not in any way leave it free from criticism, nor does it require me to be satisfied with this level of quality. I do not believe Generations is an A+ game. Or an A-. Or a B. At the moment it's sitting somewhere around the C+/B- area, and I don't find that acceptable.

And if he really thinks being bothered by something as major as the broken-ass rolling is reinforcing negative stereotypes, he's got a pretty warped view of things. And I've got to wonder what he thinks of the stereotypical fanboy who will support any crap with Sonic's face on it, regardless of the quality.

Making something you don't like (in this case I am referring to Modern gameplay) doesn't make them incompetant.
I wasn't referring to the modern gameplay. The modern gameplay is fairly competently made, but based on bad ideas. It's the classic gameplay that was programmed by a brain-damaged monkey.