Awoo.

Epic Mickey 2

Trixie the Great

Loving the look of this so far, although if the events of the trailer are the premise of the story, I wonder how two-player will work...

• 1 month later...

Boxart for Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion

244480_nds_a.png

In “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion,” Reality is What You Paint of It. The game offers a special drawing and painting function that allows players to create rough versions of objects that magically transform into classic Disney-style 2D illustrations. Utilising the game’s unparalleled dual screen integration, players then move their creations to the top screen where they are further transformed into full-color, fully-rendered 3D visuals.

Paying tribute to the classic Sega Mega Drive title “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” focuses on the fabled Castle of Illusion, which has fallen into Wasteland, an alternate world filled with 80 years of forgotten Disney characters and theme park attractions – and now forgotten video games. The evil witch Mizrabel, villainess from the classic “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” finds herself an unwilling inhabitant of Wasteland, and unleashes a plot to escape using the Castle of Illusion to imprison and drain the cartoon essence from currently famous Toons. Players will take on the role of Mickey Mouse as he utilises his magical brush to wield paint and thinner to confront Mizrabel and save the Toons.

http://www.game.co.u...entifier=200101

I've got my fingers crossed for Lion King and Princess and the Frog for the 3DS version.

In other news, Nintendo Power recently revealed a new level called The Floatyard which is a park littered with scores of old Disney parade floats. You eventually fight a mechanical version of Stromboli from Pinocchio in it and there's even an enemy native to it that's based on Tik-Tok from Return to Oz. How's that for an awesomely obscure little reference?

Edited by chaoscontrol14

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of costumes. Something I was kind of disappointed in the first game was that most of the collectables were nothing but pins with no effects.

Also the achievements reveal a lot of interesting things: Angel Falls/Devil Fall/Rainbow Falls seem to be a new area(s), you seem to be able to take pictures to places and enemies (that'd explain the photo signs in the disney gultch showings) and that about "Navigated both halves of Mean Street" sounds oddly intriguing. Also I find cute that Mickey can eventually get his own statue in Wasteland.

Haha, I also love how there are so many disney title references in the names. "Oswald's New Groove" gotta be my favorite.

I hope Epic Mickey 2 will be better than the first. I loved it and beat at least 5 times, but alot of smaller things buged me. You can only unlock two cartoons, cant create objects with paint/thinner aka Okami, barly any skeches to use and your choices having little effect on the story...... I hope at lease some of these issues is improved, but this looks like a big improvement over the first so i hope for the best.

The first Epic Mickey could have been much more darker and could have much more choices that could have influenced the story: unfortunatly, Disney went all "it's for the children" and Warren Spector had to rewrite major things (and that's why the most important choice is the first one when you have to choose between a treasure and a captured gremlin). Heck, one of the previews i had of the game tolded about different looks of Mickey due to his choices, and that makes me more frustrated than angry because it's all wasted potential.

With that said, i hope this sequel will be better, but i don't want to be hyped too much.

The first Epic Mickey could have been much more darker and could have much more choices that could have influenced the story: unfortunatly, Disney went all "it's for the children" and Warren Spector had to rewrite major things (and that's why the most important choice is the first one when you have to choose between a treasure and a captured gremlin). Heck, one of the previews i had of the game tolded about different looks of Mickey due to his choices, and that makes me more frustrated than angry because it's all wasted potential.

The differences in Mickey's appearance weren't particularly drastic by any stretch of the imagination- Scrapper Mickey and Hero Mickey. Nothing like the original concept art that was pure nightmare fuel. I'm not sure exactly why they got rid of these changes, though. The really creepy stuff sure as it was only a concept, but the rest of it seems a little pointless.

Edited by Blue Blood

To this day I still don't understand what people think the game would win by being even darker than it already was. I could understand if you'd want to completely alienate the point of Mickey Mouse, as the two different kinds of heroes you could be in that game were equally true to form, character and origins.

• Thumbs Up 2

The problem I had with Epic Mickey the most is the fact it was so dark without being dark. What I mean by that is that the game had dark colors everywhere, but no dark atmosphere at all. It's like they thought "Well, if we paint everything in dark colors, it's gonna make the game more mature." It wasn't mature, it wasn't that child-friendly, it was...nothing.

I'm really glad Epic Mickey 2 seems to be more colorful and lighthearted.

• Thumbs Up 8

Some new impressions and screens for Power of Illusion from Destructoid. Looking pretty positive! There's also this interesting bit that stuck out to me:

On an interesting note, Mizrabel on the Genesis looked similar to the Queen from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Early in Power, she demonstrates the ability to assume the guise of any Disney villain, though her favorite form is that of Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, which explains her current appearance.

That's a pretty neat way to explain why Mizrabel looked like the Queen in Castle of Illusion and why she looks like Maleficent now. I wonder if we'll see her true form.

Also, you can summon Scrooge and he does the same pogo bounce attack that he does in the Ducktales game. WIN! :D

• Thumbs Up 3

This is really interesting: a game based purely on nostalgia and apperently done right. This could be a good reason for me to finally pick a 3DS.

Also, i watched the trailer: Mario enemies?

Edited by Teoskaven

'The video game'? As opposed to Epic Mickey 2: The Power of 2: The Movie?

They should have had the ball reappear in a zap of electricity though, right at the end of the first one. Or even just throw it back at the table from offscreen with a zapping sound. 'Sides, I thought y'all called it table tennis.

Also, you can summon Scrooge and he does the same pogo bounce attack that he does in the Ducktales game

That is all I want.

I was interested in the 3DS version allot, but now..I think I'm hyped,

I loved that move allot when I played Ducktales (On the Gameboy, mind you).

Edited by Godot

Ah, totally hear you on that one! I was really annoyed when the Collectors Edition of the original only got an American release, but I'm potentially more annoyed about this one being available at launch. :(

I'd really love to preorder that, but I can't atm. It's not even really for what it is or what's in it, but I've always thought it'd be cool to have the pre-order bonus for every game in a series. It is pretty cool though, and loving it more than what the first game's was.

Gaming is too expensive this Autumn/Winter :( Already had to cancel some of my pre-orders, so I definitely can't afford this Collector's Edition, let alone the game until next year.

• 1 month later...

Epic Mickey 2 demo available now on Xbox Live

Early hands-on demo exclusive to Gold subscribers, PSN demo due later today

http://www.computera...w-on-xbox-live/

Hope this is released on the EU PS Store tomorrow, so I can give it a try if my Xbox 360 isn't back from Microsoft tomorrow.