Awoo.

Epic Mickey 2

Trixie the Great

I actually heard the other versions suck because the controls are so bad. The Wii is definitely the way to go if you don't have PSMove.

It still doesn't make sense that you can't use the Wii Remote as Mickey in the Wii U version.

Wait, what? Can you at least use the GamePad to point for the paint/thinner?

Thanks for your quick responses, guys. I have to admit, I didn't actually find the PS3 controls to be all that terrible, but this is definitely the sort of game where I can see an actual pointer being a bit better.

Though I suppose I should probably see about getting my busted Wii working again before I buy any games for it, huh? tongue.png

You can play the Wii version on the Wii U, if you have one.  But yeah, the only option for Mickey on the Wii U version is the same as Mickey on the PS3 & XBox controllers.  Which I do not understand; the touchscreen is mostly just a map screen so you don't GAIN anything by having it, while you lose greatly by not being able to simply point and paint (or thin).

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, am I the only one who gets annoyed by the voice acting during the levels?

Seriously, no matter where I went in the game, there was always someone talking, Gus, Goofy, the Little pete or how he was called... Now I don't mind voice acting at all, but they always taunt me or remind me what I have to do CONSTANTLY. Do they expect the player to forget his main quest every minute?

Now this wouldn't be too bad if the game wouldn't be hiding so much in the Levels, but it is. The game tries to push you forward even if you don't want to advance. People who played the first Epic Mickey might know that there are secrets everywhere in the levels, so you want to explore the area to get most of the things. So if the game is kind of desiged around the fact that you will stay for quite some time in an area, why are they letting their characters tell me what to do over and over and OVER again?

Seriously, when I was in the Rainbow Falls, I wanted to explore the area to find chests etc., take my time, but no, Pete has to tell me every minute how slow I am, that I have to repair the pipes, and it takes me way too long, and he wants to get out,  UGH.

Imagine you want to collect all the treasure chests in OoT while Navi is telling you every minute Ganon is much more important and Zelda needs you etc. Does that sound like fun? No.

I think the game is pretty good so far, but that is a mayor design flaw. I really hope they just tell me so much because I'm at the beginning of the game.

Edited by Thigolf

• 1 month later...

Most likely true since among hiring staff from Vigil and BioWare, Retro Studios were reported to have acquired a number of Junction Point employees.

Oh well, that's to bad.

But for real, I can't be to sad for them because their games have never been all to spectacular.

I loved the first Epic Mickey, but the second one was sorta disappointing  I don't regret playing EM2, but it didn't feel as "Epic" as the first game, and was way too short. Though I was kinda hoping there would have been an EM3, which now seems very unlikely.

Unfortunate that Oswald's first reappearance was introduced in a game that was met with a very mixed response. Oh well, I'm personally hoping he'll be playable in Disney Infinity.

If the first Epic Mickey wasn't shit this wouldn't have happened.

It was a game that everyone expected to be amazing, and incredibly exciting from the leaked concept art. The game as it actually surfaced was significantly different to the art, but still had a very strong following (1.2 million in just over a month is very good). It wasn't until people got their hands on the game that they really, really didn't like it. It didn't offer anything that was expected in terms of story and gameplay. In fact, the gameplay was utter shit.

The sequel may have been a better, I dunno as I only played the 360 demo. But from what I've heard it has many of the same problems and by the time it rolled around people were already too disappointed with the first one to care any more.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the first Epic Mickey wasn't shit this wouldn't have happened.

It was a game that everyone expected to be amazing, and incredibly exciting from the leaked concept art. The game as it actually surfaced was significantly different to the art, but still had a very strong following (1.2 million in just over a month is very good). It wasn't until people got their hands on the game that they really, really didn't like it. It didn't offer anything that was expected in terms of story and gameplay. In fact, the gameplay was utter shit.

The sequel may have been a better, I dunno as I only played the 360 demo. But from what I've heard it has many of the same problems and by the time it rolled around people were already too disappointed with the first one to care any more.

The first game wasn't actually shit, it was just mediocre. The art style, story, concept, etc. was all phenomenal. The actual gameplay was just okay. It even scored decently on Metacritic. The second game on the other hand... well let's just say it didn't even manage what the first game did. I'm inclined to believe that the closure has to do more with the abysmal sales of the second game, rather than the first.

• Thumbs Up 2

Update: Epic Mickey 2 sold 529,000 copies between its 18th November release and New Year's in the US, according the NPD group (via Joystiq).

Another tidbit

When asked if Warren Spector would perhaps be shifted onto the team working on Disney Infinity, a spokesperson confirmed "he will not be staying with Disney."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-29-warren-spectors-juntion-point-studios-shuttered

A lot of people are blaming the game for going multiplatform. It is quite obvious that the game was built for the Wii, so making ports to HD systems and adding costs would be a bit bad. A lot of people find the game much harder to control with the lack of a pointer, so it was slammed by many reviewers. Not even the Wii U edition had 1 player Wii Remote control.

Should they have made it Wii exclusive once again and focused only on that? It seems obvious that the 1.2 million of the first game paid off. 500k on 4 platforms with most probably selling at the discounted Wii version probably didn't pay off. Someone has to pay for all those HD assets and bug testing. I wonder if the game design suffered for analog stick players too?

And what the hell was with all the hype of the game being a musical and the camera being fixed? AFAIK, the musical part was overblown and the camera is still buggy.

They should have given both the Wii U and the PS3 version the option of one-player Wiimote/Move controls, since the Wiimote controls were obviously worked out for the Wii (I don't have Move, but I'd expect the control schemes to be similar).  Not sure it could be done with Kinect, but the game is designed for point and shoot, especially from Mickey's end.  Steer and shoot just does not work as well.  (Oswald not being in the first game, at least the player wouldn't be accustomed to him controlling a certain way.)

I agree that the musical angle was over-advertised for what was actually there, but I didn't have any camera problems that I remember.  'Course that may have been because I was fighting the controller the whole time.

• 1 month later...

As I said in the status update, the game bombed...

However I think I can see why it's coming to the Vita. The controls would be better because we will be using the touchscreen, and there are no Vita games. Disney taking the advantage.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Smart move, because I'll probably get this since it's on Vita. 

Edited by Wade Wilson

Epic Mickey 2 coming to Vita

Disney game making the jump to Sony's portable this year

BFpe62kCQAAm0VR.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/396549/epic-mickey-2-coming-to-vita/

Well...that was random.

It bombed on all the popular systems.....and the Wii U. So logically the best coarse of action is to put it on another system that hasn't found it's footing yet long after the original release.

Disney logic.

Shit game, bombed hard, devs shut down because of it, and now it's being released on a platform that's bombing just as bad.

There's not a single spin on this that can make this make sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shit game, bombed hard, devs shut down because of it, and now it's being released on a platform that's bombing just as bad.

There's not a single spin on this that can make this make sense.

"We're going to get our money back on this game goddamn it! I don't care how many platforms we have to release it on! Get that Dreamcast port ready."