Awoo.

Sonic Generations: GameWorld (IgroMir) and ComicCon /PAX, GamesCom, TGS, and GAMEfest/ Special Topic [ARCHIVE]

Woun

To be honest I don't think we have YET to understand how much content the game has from what we know from the demo.

I'm honestly thinking this is going to pack full of random awsome shit to do and multiple acts.

With Classic City Escape, the level layout is simplified in the playable demos compared to the older videos. However, I think it's more likely that we're looking at updated layouts instead of ones that have been simplified for the sake of demos. That's quite a lot of effort for a game that's getting released so soon.

I still think that the layout in the demo is simplified for the sake of lower skill levels. Remember the Gameswelt video?

There's no indication as to how old this build is, but the Classic layout looks like it did at E3. What strikes me as important here is the red rings' presence; this would indicate that it will reflect the final build more than the Gamescom demo. We obviously can't know for sure until the game is finally released, but the changes they made don't make a lot of sense to me. Most of them make it much easier to outrun the truck, and this sort of kills the level's main gimmick. Plus, the changes they made were rather simple. It's mostly just moving, replacing, or flat out removing some platforms. I doubt that would take a lot of time to do.

I still think that the layout in the demo is simplified for the sake of lower skill levels. Remember the Gameswelt video?

*video*

There's no indication as to how old this build is, but the Classic layout looks like it did at E3. What strikes me as important here is the red rings' presence; this would indicate that it will reflect the final build more than the Gamescom demo. We obviously can't know for sure until the game is finally released, but the changes they made don't make a lot of sense to me. Most of them make it much easier to outrun the truck, and this sort of kills the level's main gimmick. Plus, the changes they made were rather simple. It's mostly just moving, replacing, or flat out removing some platforms. I doubt that would take a lot of time to do.

It doesn't take a lot of time to do little changes like that, it takes a lot of time to test any changes. Even things like the rolling can be vastly improved very easily, but they have to be tested. With Sonic games, SEGA don't really have a habit of making special adjustments just for demo, but one thing they do seem to do is reassess difficultly and make thing easier as time goes on. The very last area in that video for C.Sonic is actually kind of unfair layout-wise, so it seems they just decided to remove any and all challenge from it. The red rings are turned off/removed for all the demo builds, so I wouldn't read too much into that one.

I do believe this is a Preview Beta, so these people are able to playthrough the the game so far, perhaps all the stages are fnished but things maybe are missing, so they can collect the red rings and attain super sonic and make preview reviews on the game so far, the last preview i read the person was talking about some of the stages that were not shown untill the last trailer they also at the time felt the game was 75% complete, but that was a while back

Was I the only one to notice an alternate path for M.Sonic in Chemical Plant at 2:13?

No, I noticed it to. I even recall some screen cap images of the level where someone highlighted multiple paths as well. Why people call that level linear is beyond me.

Edited by SpookyMulder

SA2 City Escape was pretty linear as well and only benefited for the added difficult choice of grinding the rails for bonus points. The platforming wasn't that memorable and that openness that you guys are calling out was really just running down the road to see the exact same platforming elements that are in Generations.

In fact, a lot of SA2 Sonic levels had the same recipe for Modern Sonic games but instead of boost, you get dash pad. The only ones that didn't were Crazy Gadget and Metal Harbor. Everybody hates the former and are ambivalent towards the latter.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Crazy Gadget.

I hated this stage for a month before I figured out how to beat it, fucking gravity switches.

• Thumbs Up 2

Haha Crazy Gadget is easily my least favorite of all of Sonic and Shadow's stages. But it is the most unique, so I wouldn't be upset if they remade it.

SA2 City Escape was pretty linear as well and only benefited for the added difficult choice of grinding the rails for bonus points. The platforming wasn't that memorable and that openness that you guys are calling out was really just running down the road to see the exact same platforming elements that are in Generations.

In fact, a lot of SA2 Sonic levels had the same recipe for Modern Sonic games but instead of boost, you get dash pad. The only ones that didn't were Crazy Gadget and Metal Harbor. Everybody hates the former and are ambivalent towards the latter.

I think it's more the fact that you had a greater sense of control in SA1 and SA2 than you do in newer 3D Sonic games. However, I think the sense of "control" in the SA games was too great. It was far too easy to overshoot a turn and you would slow down so much when turning. However, in the newer games most of the time in 3D the paths are quite straight, and if they wind they're either on rails or you can very rarely weave through them nicely.

I remember specifically in Sonic Colours there was that section in one of the Tropical Resort acts where you had a path of rings following a slightly winding road, and getting most of these rings was almost impossible without boosting because of the slightly awkward control.

I still don't think they've quite nailed control in Sonic 3D games yet. I think we need to find a happy medium between SA2's control and Colours' control. Here's hoping Generations can offer somewhere close to that happy medium.

• Thumbs Up 8

Sorry, but SA and SA2 control horribly for Sonic/Shadow. I lost six lives in Metal Harbor yesterday because I kept falling off the path. Unleashed has control issues of it's own, but I'll actually be the one to say I'll take Unleashed controls over SA controls any day.

Wow...someone actually said it! This.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's that you got use to Unleashed, so when you try to go back to lets say the faster SA, sonic is VERY loose. Slightly move left and you are waaaaaay over there.

^

The problem's not with Unleashed or Colors. SA and SA2 have loose controls that may make them hard to play for many people, and Heroes is... oh, god.

I think it's that you got use to Unleashed, so when you try to go back to lets say the faster SA, sonic is VERY loose. Slightly move left and you are waaaaaay over there.

You're right; I got used to Unleashed and it's better controls. Unleashed's biggest problem is that Sonic accelerates much too quickly so it's easy to lose control of him. In SA he's just plain slippery.

Sorry, but SA and SA2 control horribly for Sonic/Shadow. I lost six lives in Metal Harbor yesterday because I kept falling off the path. Unleashed has control issues of it's own, but I'll actually be the one to say I'll take Unleashed controls over SA controls any day.

Not really. The Adventure games allowed for fast and fluid 3D platforming. You can actually slow down easily and change directions quickly. The only reason Unleashed might feel better is because the level is designed around the modern gameplay. I couldn't imagine modern gameplay in an adventure stage such as Crazy Gadget. The actual 3D controls for Modern Sonic aren't as precise as the Adventure games.

This is coming from someone who loves Modern Sonic gameplay. biggrin.png

Edited by Neon

Sonic Adventure 2: PAX, GamesCom, TGS and GAMEfest Special Topic [NEW TRAILER HERE]

Edited by Michael Myers
  • Thumbs Up 6

Both Adventure games controlled well at low speeds, and were absolute garbage at high speeds. Especially SA1, where the walls were practically magnetic. Unleashed has the opposite problem, but it seems like Generations fixes this (though he accelerates a bit too fast, according to MarcelloF).

• Thumbs Up 8