Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

Hey you guys, what if Namco for this new Smash bros did a full 8-way fighter Soulcaliber style, that would be awesome!

Assuming that is what I think it is, how would that work with 4 characters.

Would there really be a point to it? The WiiU on its own can only support 5 if you include the tablet pad, and even with 4 there are times where brawls can turn into a bit of a clusterfuck while they're all in the same place. Doubling the players just pronounces those problems further for a rather arguably dubious benefit.

Would there really be a point to it? The WiiU on its own can only support 5 if you include the tablet pad, and even with 4 there are times where brawls can turn into a bit of a clusterfuck while they're all in the same place. Doubling the players just pronounces those problems further for a rather arguably dubious benefit.

He means a one-on-one fighter, with eight directions of movement.

Not eight-way fights.

Which would literally be hell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh ya I meant movement, not 8 people, though that would be Hilarious!

• Thumbs Up 1

3D Smash would ironically and hilariously make Sonic's Homing Attack one of the most reliable moves in the game.

• Thumbs Up 7

But it is 3D XD just in a 2D plane, however fine by me either ways On another note I am so excited that I actualy have a chance to get the game during its launch window(same with sonic lost world

3D Smash would be the most glorious clusterfuck.

16 player online 3D smash

on rainbow cruise

giant mode

bunny hood

spicy curry

all day erry day

• Thumbs Up 9

Heh ya I meant movement, not 8 people, though that would be Hilarious!

Okay, that's what I thought you meant. So, then, how do you do that with 4 characters? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Soul Calibur 4 still plays like a 2D fighter aside from this; running around is just shifting the plane defined by the two fighters and the vertical. This works fine with two players, they'll always define one particular plane, but that's not the case with three. It would need to be a very different kind of game.

Or, you can't seriously be suggesting that they cut down the number of players, can you?

*pops in*

I think replacing the Mario Tornado with FLUDD was stupid. 

They should change it back.

Mid-air-down-A is not an excuse.

that's all I have to contribute.

*pops out*

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 8

I'd like for the Luma-powered Spin Attack to replace FLUDD, if only for consistency. Mario Tornado could have been partially based on the SMW Spin Jump, and then FLUDD references another older game in the series, the Luma Spin is a logical step.

It could even possess some of its quirks, like being able to pick up a stationary/moving item, possibly even a thrown item, from a small distance away. I'd like to see that, it would be the ultimate anti-item strategy against characters like Diddy and Zero Suit Samus.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 4

If anything I wouldn't mind the FLUDD replacing his Up+B.  In terms of actual gameplay it would do the same thing as his traditional Up+B, but with the bonus of sending a (very low damaging) pushing force downwards.  Like, it'd be the Hover Nozzle obviously.

The water stream would be very brief and just do sort of "nudging" damage y'know?  Like how a Flipper in Melee affects you when you're on Low %.  You could jump above a falling opponent to push them downwards more, but it would cancel the post-Up+B "can't do anything" falling state on them, so not advisable there.

Just random ideas.  It'd be kinda cool if they could keep FLUDD in while keeping his Down+B back to normal/galaxy inspired.  That way Mario's entire moveset would reference his history, B from NES days, Side+B from SNES days, Up+B from GCN and Down+B from Wii!  And of course his standard A+A+A combo is the same as Mario 64's B+B+B attack.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

You can't get rid of the super jump punch, though. It's the Mario ability.

Yeah no.  Luigi is one of the few characters in Smash who is 100% justified and supposed to be a 'clone' of another character.  The entire reason Luigi was created in the first place was for the sake of being the Player 2 version of Mario, and that has translated into him being a character who has the same basic skill set as Mario, but with subtle differences.

Rebuilding Luigi's entire moveset around the Poltergust would be going too far.  The most that should be done would be to ddevote a Special Move to it, which would incidentally create another parallel to Mario.

• Thumbs Up 3

Luigi is one of the few characters in Smash who is 100% justified and supposed to be a 'clone' of another character. 

GET OUT

Luigi was created to be a clone, yes, but calling them the same character nowadays would be like calling Sonic and Tails the same fucking character.  Luigi has his own games, his own abilities, his own friends, and his own fans, and those should be capitalized rather than ignored for the sake of adhering to some decades-old cliche.

Edited by Ridley
  • Thumbs Up 7

Yes - but whereas in the main games where Tails eventually gained the ability to fly around in the main games, Luigi was still a clone of Mario who jumped slightly higher and had butter for soles. Luigi has his own personality, yes. And he even had his own game where he forgot how to jump. But the entire thing with Luigi at least in the main games is that he's Green Mario. Tails, however, isn't Yellow Sonic. And it still holds true today.

What are you using your poltergust for in New Super Luigi U? What about in Mario Galaxy 1 and 2? Nothing. It's the same thing since the 80s. Green Mario with a slightly higher jump and butter shoes.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

The entire reason Luigi was created in the first place was for the sake of being the Player 2 version of Mario

Yeah and now we're in the year two thousand and thirteen.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yes - but whereas in the main games where Tails eventually gained the ability to fly around in the main games, Luigi was still a clone of Mario who jumped slightly higher and had butter for soles. Luigi has his own personality, yes. But the entire thing with Luigi at least in the main games is that he's Green Mario. Tails, however, isn't Yellow Sonic. And it still holds true today.

What are you using your poltergust for in New Super Luigi U? What about in Mario Galaxy 1 and 2? Nothing. It's the same thing since the 80s. Green Mario with a slightly higher jump and butter shoes.

How are we trying to align with the basics of the main series when we have an F-Zero racer who can summon flaming falcons from his fist? I just don't see why Luigi can't become more of his own character when we have more than enough work to base it off of.

Yeah and now we're in the year two thousand and thirteen.

And he is still often Green Mario, Player 2.

I'd be on board for adding a Poltergust move or something else that's unique to him, but overall I'm pretty happy with what Luigi has become as of Brawl. There's plenty of similarities between him and Mario, paying tribute to their relationship both storywise and mechanically, but he's also got a lot of his own style, with plenty of his own moves and the moves that are similar still function differently.

• Thumbs Up 6

How are we trying to align with the basics of the main series when we have an F-Zero racer who can summon flaming falcons from his fist? I just don't see why Luigi can't become more of his own character when we have more than enough work to base it off of.

So what exactly does Luigi have to work with besides having a vacuum cleaner? And having a higher jump with butter shoes? 

The thing I want to get at is if you change Luigi around too much from what he already is, being a slightly different clone of Mario, it'd be a bit jarring. What do you expect out of picking Luigi from a roster in a Nintendo game? "Oh man, I hope he uses his vacuum cleaner in this game! That'd really represent this character's history."

I dunno. I can get behind the Poltergust being used as a final smash or as an alternative down+B move. I admit, if anyone needed to change the "tornado" attack, it was Luigi, not Mario.

I'm not saying I want Luigi to just be a Mario clone. Brawl did him some sweet justice by making him play dynamically different while keeping the same style as Mario. This is more than good enough. Adding his vacuum would just be a cherry on an otherwise nice green chocolate sundae as opposed to a red vanilla sundae that has better traction and a lower jump.

If ice cream could jump.

And he is still often Green Mario, Player 2.

I'd be on board for adding a Poltergust move or something else that's unique to him, but overall I'm pretty happy with what Luigi has become as of Brawl. There's plenty of similarities between him and Mario, paying tribute to their relationship both storywise and mechanically, but he's also got a lot of his own style, with plenty of his own moves and the moves that are similar still function differently.

Pretty much this. 

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

There are two things worth noting about Captain Falcon. 

First, if what I've read in the past is accurate, his move set was the only one that was actually developed before it was decided that the first Smash Bros. would be a Nintendo crossover game, so presumably it acts as a reference to the original game's development process. 

Secondly, and much more importantly, Captain Falcon is the only character in Smash who doesn't even try to be based on his home series.  Well, aside from Ganondorf, but Ganon's treatment in Smash has always been bizarrely crap.  And even then, one could make the argument that Falcon's special moves are loosely based on the boost mechanics of F-Zero.  Regardless, I fail to see how the one character who doesn't explicitly reference his series somehow makes all of the others who actually do completely irrelevant.

And for the record, everyone, I did not mean that Luigi should be exactly the same as Mario, but rather, that he should always be similar, because that's a part of who he is.

Edited by G-Force