Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Don't worry, we have 3 system sellers coming: Super Mario 3d World, Mario Kart 8, and Smash 4. With their powers combined, I'm sure we'll at least reach Gamecube levels of sales. 

Anyway, happy birthday, Wii-U! Everyone shits on you but I love you anyway. 

At least you're not the Vita *runs*

Didn't the Vita sell more than the Wii U?

Didn't the Vita sell more than the Wii U?

Nope, IIRC. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

What source are you using for sales figures?

My friend, admittedly. I'm not sure what source he was using, and if he and by extension I am wrong, feel free to correct me. 

EDIT: Here

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-sales-in-japan-surpass-ps3-vita-and-xbox-360-this-week/1100-6416036/

Wii-U is beating Vita in Japan as of November 7th, if that means anything.

Edited by Chaos Warp

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-sales-in-japan-surpass-ps3-vita-and-xbox-360-this-week/1100-6416036/

Wii-U is beating Vita in Japan as of November 7th, if that means anything.

Limited time-frame within a specific region, and even then the fortnight within which they measure sales favours the Vita overall. That source doesn't really mean much, no. You really shouldn't make blunt statements without at least having a reliable source to inform them. (Note: 'A friend' or loyalty to a company are not reliable sources.)

Also, I figure I'll just leave this here.

Edited by Heinous Creature

I wouldn't use VGChartz as a 100% accurate sales tracker (or anything above 70% accurate.) The latest Wii U data I could find shows sales of 3.91 million up to September, of which only 460,000 have come from after April. I couldn't find any information on current Vita sales, but the new model did spur a 2000% increase of sales in Japan. The Vita also had a had a nine month head start on the Wii U which means the Vita has likely sold a couple million more units. It also doesn't help the Wii U that there is little demand outside of North America and Japan(which is already pretty small demand) for the console in the last 6 months, otherwise that wouldn't have negative sales numbers for the rest of the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't use VGChartz as a 100% accurate sales tracker (or anything above 70% accurate.) The latest Wii U data I could find shows sales of 3.91 million up to September, of which only 460,000 have come from after April. I couldn't find any information on current Vita sales, but the new model did spur a 2000% increase of sales in Japan. The Vita also had a had a nine month head start on the Wii U which means the Vita has likely sold a couple million more units. It also doesn't help the Wii U that there is little demand outside of North America and Japan(which is already pretty small demand) for the console in the last 6 months, otherwise that wouldn't have negative sales numbers for the rest of the world.

It does an adequate job of demonstrating my point - unfortunately, I couldn't find anything else which measured the global sales in a manner that was easily comparable. You are correct, there are several factors contributing to the issue of sales for the Wii U, but I never contested these, and yes, on some level this is unfortunate.

Because I might be slightly interested in Super Mario 3D World. Maybe. Shhh.

Edited by Heinous Creature

There really isn't that much demand for the Vita either outside North America. I'm not saying the Wii U is selling better, but this whole argument is sort of stupid considering they are both flopping right now.

The only difference is that Nintendo at least seems to want the Wii U to succeed, while Sony couldn't give much of a fuck for the Vita.

I wouldn't say they don't care about the Vita, you don't invest millions into developing something and go "fuck it". Considering this year has been all about the PS4 focus, who knows they might change the pace to both platforms in 2014. But besides that, Nintendo seems to be the complete opposite of Sony at the moment, the handheld is selling but the home console is not.

Edited by Noel

I wouldn't say they don't care about the Vita, you don't invest millions into developing something and go "fuck it".

My point is that Sony isn't trying to get system sellers on it, pushing it with everything they have. We get indie ports and a few gems like Tearaway, but mostly it seems they aren't too focused on it besides being a peripheral for the PS4.

My point is that Sony isn't trying to get system sellers on it, pushing it with everything they have. We get indie ports and a few gems like Tearaway, but mostly it seems they aren't too focused on it besides being a peripheral for the PS4.

Pretty much, it just isn't their main focus right now.

All-right ladies and gents, I have a challenge for you. In three paragraphs or fewer, I want as many of you as possible (who are willing to try) to sell the Wii U to me as a viable purchase. Assume that I am interested enough in the product to consider a purchase soon, and assume that I am interested enough in the games to consider purchasing several. My knowledge on the Wii U is limited, a problem which is compounded by it proving to be a rather polarising force, however, I generally have very diverse tastes in games and have historically owned a large number of consoles from different companies, so you should also assume neutrality.

Also, I'm being completely serious here. I won't ridicule you for your choices. I'm genuinely curious, and on some level I'm interested in your insights. Last gen I had the X360 / PS3 / Wii combination, and I may be looking for a similar set-up with the next-gen systems at some point in the future, depending primarily on exclusive games and features offered, of course.

Edited by Chronozoah

All-right ladies and gents, I have a challenge for you. In three paragraphs or fewer, I want as many of you as possible (who are willing to try) to sell the Wii U to me as a viable purchase. Assume that I am interested enough in the product to consider a purchase soon, and assume that I am interested enough in the games to consider purchasing several. My knowledge on the Wii U is limited, a problem which is compounded by it proving to be a rather polarising force, however, I generally have very diverse tastes in games and have historically owned a large number of consoles from different companies, so you should also assume neutrality.

Also, I'm being completely serious here. I won't ridicule you for your choices.

Okay, three paragraph limit? Lets do this:

I think the Wii-U is a great purchase. It looks like it will have a solid library of Nintendo and other games in 2014, and it is the cheapest next-gen console. One plus of the Wii-U is that you have to pay absolutely nothing for any sort of online service. Miiverse is also a really cool feature: yeah, there's some stupid kids on there, and yeah, you can't swear, but overall it's a much more freindly and nice gaming community then something like XBLA, and there's a lot of genuinely good art on there too. The tablet is a really cool gimmick, much better IMO them something like the Wiimote because it contributes to gameplay in more positive ways then negative. Non spilt-screen local multiplayer is the best shit, and certain games make great use of the tablet's features, such as Pikmin 3 or Nintendoland. Plus, even if the GamePad features aren't that well utilized, off-TV play is also great and convenient.  

What Wii-U software are you interested in? If you're not already interested in these, I recommend trying out The Wonderful 101, Game and Wario, ZombieU, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor Edge (good version, much enhanced from the 360 and PS3 versions), New Super Mario Bros U, and Deux Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut, which improved on an already great game by fixing problems with it. I assume you're interested in things like Super Mario 3d World and Smash 4, yes? All the games I mentioned above minus the 2 last ones (Smash 4 and 3d World) are already out and worth your money. 

Overall, the Wii-U is a great console and I think it's worth anyone's money, especially if you have even the slightest curiosity to try out Nintendo games. Can't go wrong with that price, after all. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the Wii-U is a great purchase. It looks like it will have a solid library of Nintendo and other games in 2014, and it is the cheapest next-gen console. One plus of the Wii-U is that you have to pay absolutely nothing for any sort of online service. Miiverse is also a really cool feature: yeah, there's some stupid kids on there, and yeah, you can't swear, but overall it's a much more freindly and nice gaming community then something like XBLA, and there's a lot of genuinely good art on there too. The tablet is a really cool gimmick, much better IMO them something like the Wiimote because it contributes to gameplay in more positive ways then negative. Non spilt-screen local multiplayer is the best shit, and certain games make great use of the tablet's features, such as Pikmin 3 or Nintendoland. Plus, even if the GamePad features aren't that well utilized, off-TV play is also great and convenient.  

Price is definitely an important factor, particularly if I have any intent to acquire multiple consoles this generation. Off-TV Play and an integrated community HUB/Forum are indeed appealing features, but beyond their basic concepts I'm not entirely certain as to the benefits they would bring me as a gamer (although what you have listed so far sounds pretty cool). Could you elaborate on them? Describe to me the full benefits of both, in detail, if you could - with examples? Also, could you tell me what games currently make good use of the GamePad, in ways that, say, supplement the experience rather than detracting from it, or distracting one from gameplay? 

What Wii-U software are you interested in? If you're not already interested in these, I recommend trying out The Wonderful 101, Game and Wario, ZombieU, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor Edge (good version, much enhanced from the 360 and PS3 versions), New Super Mario Bros U, and Deux Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut, which improved on an already great game by fixing problems with it. I assume you're interested in things like Super Mario 3d World and Smash 4, yes? All the games I mentioned above minus the 2 last ones (Smash 4 and 3d World) are already out and worth your money. 

Pikmin 3, Yarn Yoshi (?), Super Smash Bros. 4 and, if I can get people to play with, Super Mario 3D World. However, I haven't looked at the offerings in much depth and know next to nothing about what's available on the eShop, so I'll need some help on that subject, haha.

Mario 3D World...

Mario 3D World...

Mario 3D World...!

Not quite what I was looking for, but the effort is appreciated, I guess. Do bare in mind that I have no inherent interest in Mario in and of itself, but this title in particular looks visually appealing and I've always preferred 3D games to 2D ones, especially when they offer co-op that seems fun and functional. If you could...describe the game in a liiiiiittle more detail, that would be great.

Edited by Chronozoah

Because it's Nintendo!

...Actually, I wouldn't say that, that's what Nintendo is saying to general audiences to get them to buy one. 

Also, I'm being completely serious here. I won't ridicule you for your choices. I'm genuinely curious, and on some level I'm interested in your insights. Last gen I had the X360 / PS3 / Wii combination, and I may be looking for a similar set-up with the next-gen systems at some point in the future, depending primarily on exclusive games and features offered, of course.

In addition games Chaos Warp listed, you also have a number of indie titles,Wii U virtual console games, and Wii software including WiiWare, Wii Virtual Console games, and all of your Wii games. Using the internet is, in my opinion, very great. The browser isn't complete shit and the gamepad makes the internet as easy to use as if you were using a tablet. Watching videos on both the TV and Gamepad is a plus too. Art Academy and Miiverse let's you draw using the Gamepad's touch screen though the former is an application which you have to pay for but is worth the price. Off-TV play can also be used with Wii software as well though you can't use the gamepad as a controller. Also, the new Wii U Bundle comes with both New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. For $300, that's a nice deal.

Edited by Mr. 0

but seriously, Mario 3D World looks to be setting the bar for platformers yet again, it has so much charm and content jammed into it as well as nods to previous games in the series, and retro throw backs to stuff like 8-bit sprites, remixes of classic Mario Bros. tunes, and even levels based on other games in Mario's series like Mario Kart, it's also visually beautiful and it has 4 player co-op.

There's so much in M3DW that mere words can't paint a good enough picture, it has to be experienced to understand why it's so good, like any 3D Mario experience really!

• Thumbs Up 4

Price is definitely an important factor, particularly if I have any intent to acquire multiple consoles this generation. Off-TV Play and an integrated community HUB/Forum are indeed appealing features, but beyond their basic concepts I'm not entirely certain as to the benefits they would bring me as a gamer (although what you have listed so far sounds pretty cool). Could you elaborate on them? Describe to me the full benefits of both, in detail, if you could - with examples? Also, could you tell me what games currently make good use of the GamePad, in ways that, say, supplement the experience rather than detracting from it, or distracting one from gameplay? 

Nintendoland makes good use of the GamePad because it loves dual-screen multiplayer with cool 1V4 games with one player using the tablet and one to 4 payers using Wiimotes. Nintendoland could definitely not work well as it does without the GamePad. Pikmin 3 also uses it well but you'd be better off asking a Pikmin Fan about that. 

Miiverse gives you a cool place to talk about games and ask questions if you are stuck somewhere in a game. With certain games like Sonic Lost World, you cab ever get special items through Miiverse. Off-TV play is nice because if someone needs to use the TV, you can continue your gaming uninterrupted on the Gamepad with most games. Plus, toilet play is the best shit if your bathroom is close enough to the console. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

I feel Miiverse is too strictly moderated, you can't swear in any form, and anything negative is removed if not worded in a friendly manner, it's my only gripe with Miiverse, especially when the Youtube community is so large and diverse, you can't stay positive and happy-happy for everything.