Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Here's the problem with mentioning anything to do with DirectX as an example - you're going to have to use a completely different rendering API on literally anything other than Microsoft operating systems/machines, and that obviously requires work in order to port over certain features to another API, the same basically applies in reverse. Microsoft has the advantage of having the most popular rendering API out there (though arguably not the best, in some ways OpenGL is better, and platform-independent, to boot), but SteamOS and ATI's 'Mantle' API (the latter of which is being pushed by EA) is poised to change that, hopefully.

As previously noted, Wii U, much like its predecessor, uses a variant of OpenGL, and OpenGL can pretty much do everything DirectX can, but in a different way under the hood. Porting from the 360/Xbone to literally anything other than Windows (and with Windows, you're still going to have to put in a lot of work to make it a good port) is going to require a lot of work in some capacity. The devs of Darksiders 2 said porting over that game merely took weeks, which isn't too shabby. The hardware isn't as similar to the other two next-gen systems, but it's certainly leagues ahead of the PS3's cryptic architecture, and probably better than the 360's, too, in some respects.

The problem is, pushing horsepower is one of the industry's cancers. Being able to make use of all the cool toys is all well and good... In moderation. I think MovieBob said it best when he said that sometimes, someone has to be the grown-up and say "guys, I know playing with the big stuff is cool, but surely there's a more efficient and less expensive way of going about things, a shortcut or creative solution?" As he said, graphics whores will notice, but they're not nearly numerous enough to make a difference, and the general public won't notice nor really care. Sometimes, limitations force you to compromise, and sometimes, utterly brilliant things can be born from limitations. Having to get creative with limited resources is what the best artists in gaming as well as the movie and animation industries have always thrived on, and many of those creative solutions can bring costs down, not up.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is depressing

3.jpg

Which console do you plan on buying?

PS4 58%
XBO 39%
Wii U 1%

Which console design is most appealing to you?

PS4 62%
XBO 36%
Wii U 1%

Which unique controller function is the most innovative?

PS4 Touchpad 51%
XBO Rumble Triggers 35%
Wii U Gamepad Screen 14%

Which console has the most impressive game line-up?

PS4 50%
XBO 48%
Wii U 2%

I think it's time to give up on any hope that the Wii U will achieve even the GCN's level of commercial success. Nintendo should probably start devoting more resources toward building relationships with third parties for the next generation, ditching the proprietary media format (always a sticking point with third parties), making their next generation machine every bit as powerful as its rivals' and building on the remote and gamepad. In the meantime, just pump out games the core audience will like.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think it's time to give up on any hope that the Wii U will achieve even the GCN's level of commercial success. Nintendo should probably start devoting more resources toward building relationships with third parties for the next generation, ditching the proprietary media format (always a sticking point with third parties), making their next generation machine every bit as powerful as its rivals' and building on the remote and gamepad. In the meantime, just pump out games the core audience will like.

We still have Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Super Mario 3d World, plus whatever comes after those games.

Don't give up hope so early. 

This is depressing

3.jpg

Which console do you plan on buying?

PS4 58%

XBO 39%

Wii U 1%

Which console design is most appealing to you?

PS4 62%

XBO 36%

Wii U 1%

Which unique controller function is the most innovative?

PS4 Touchpad 51%

XBO Rumble Triggers 35%

Wii U Gamepad Screen 14%

Which console has the most impressive game line-up?

PS4 50%

XBO 48%

Wii U 2%

The site is also a Sony fanboy site among other things that make the Wii U that small in a not-widely-spread poll.
  • Thumbs Up 3

The site is also a Sony fanboy site among other things that make the Wii U that small in a not-widely-spread poll.

Lol... Intergi is a professional advertising agency, dude. This isn't a NeoGAF poll.

Anyway, hopefully this means Nintendo will change things next time.

Lol... Intergi is a professional advertising agency, dude. This isn't a NeoGAF poll.

Anyway, hopefully this means Nintendo will change things next time.

Oh, sorry. Not a fanboy site. BUT, it's an advertising agency for SOE.

I internally meow'd when I read that the PS4 touchpad (A feature that I've been reading as dumb across many websites) was more innovative than having an entire screen devoted to having a completely different experience.

• Thumbs Up 9

It's an advertising agency for a lot more than just SOE.

But sure, if you want to ignore some pretty blatant statistics, be my guest. Just don't be shocked when the NPD's come in.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's an advertising agency for a lot more than just SOE.

But sure, if you want to ignore some pretty blatant statistics, be my guest. Just don't be shocked when the NPD's come in.

Its an advertising agency that has SOE, among others, hailed the DS4's touchpad as more innovative than the Gamepad or even the Sharing feature in the controller, and only polled 5000 people.

How does that mean only 1% of people want a Wii U when Mario is coming out soon and Smash Bros and MK are coming out next year?

We still have Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Super Mario 3d World, plus whatever comes after those games.

Don't give up hope so early. 

Maybe the system will find its place in the coming two years, but the past year hasn't given me any reason to believe that it's going to sell even GCN numbers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the system will find its place in the coming two years, but the past year hasn't given me any reason to believe that it's going to sell even GCN numbers.

Smash Bros and Mario Kart are super popular franchises now. Mario Kart 7 was like the 3ds's Jesus.

With the right advertising push, I definitely think GC numbers or a little bit higher are a perfectly reasonable expectation. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Taiko Drum Master Promotional Video. I remember playing one of these games on the PS2. Localizing doesn't seem too hopeful.

I'd buy those games. I really would.

Yeah, I don't believe that little poll that was shown at all. Yes, I know they took a random sample, but that's the whole point of a random sample. It is random. You have to take multiple of those surveys to prove that your survey isn't flawed. That's a general point of statistics. Just doing your survey once and not testing it for all the margins of error that they could have in them is just begging for a flawed survey. I'm sure you could do that survey in another area and get different results.

People are all still speaking too soon I feel, since we only have October's sales numbers at the moment. We need Novembers first of all, because if there is going to be a sales boost there should be one coming this month and another one next month. It is too soon to give up hope on the console. Plus, as long as the company in the end makes a profit, that is what matters in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also agree it is too soon.

Not only are we in the month of waiting for Black Friday to buy games, the big games haven't come out yet. 3D World, Mario Kart, and Smash Brothers. If 3D World fails to bring an audience, then I would start to get worried. If Smash Bros and Mario Kart don't push it up, then it is time to give up.

Giving up right before the big advertising push and big game release isn't really reasonable in my opinion. As Chaos Warp pointed out, the 3DS had dismal sales right up to the point of big releases like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 7. A big release on the Wii U will probably do the same thing.

I believe that graphics aren't everything, but I think it would benefit Nintendo and gamers if they do make their next system as powerful as the competition so they can get third parties on board and not miss out on all of the multiplatform games. While Gamecube wasn't as successful as the competition, it was my only console during that generation and I liked being able to get multiplatform games on it that were identical if not better than on the Xbox and PS2.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe that graphics aren't everything, but I think it would benefit Nintendo and gamers if they do make their next system as powerful as the competition so they can get third parties on board and not miss out on all of the multiplatform games. While Gamecube wasn't as successful as the competition, it was my only console during that generation and I liked being able to get multiplatform games on it that were identical if not better than on the Xbox and PS2.

I agree with this. 

Honestly, I'm not sure how much prettier game graphics can get from the PS4 though

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I'm not sure how much prettier game graphics can get from the PS4 though

People say this every generation. One thing to point out - PCs are already doing better than PS4 in terms of graphics.

I don't think Nintendo should've made their console as powerful as a PS4. But I'm sure it would have been better if it at least was capable of being a "PS2" of the generation.

People say this every generation. One thing to point out - PCs are already doing better than PS4 in terms of graphics.

I don't think Nintendo should've made their console as powerful as a PS4. But I'm sure it would have been better if it at least was capable of being a "PS2" of the generation.

Yeah, that's what I mean. It would have been better if it was on par, whether it was weaker, equal or more powerful than the others. I'd hate for Wii U to miss out on so many multiplatform games like the Wii did.

This might just be me, but I would prefer unique games for the system instead of ports. Wii U may miss out on big third party, but having a unique identity would be worth it.

I usually buy two consoles (Wii U/PS4) and I have a PC so third party isn't a big deal to me. If developers made use of the unique features of the Wii U like ZombiU did, it would be really cool.

This might just be me, but I would prefer unique games for the system instead of ports. Wii U may miss out on big third party, but having a unique identity would be worth it.

I usually buy two consoles (Wii U/PS4) and I have a PC so third party isn't a big deal to me. If developers made use of the unique features of the Wii U like ZombiU did, it would be really cool.

Oh, I'm not implying that third parties should just release straight-up ports. The reason I'd want a third party game on the Wii U is because the GamePad is a big differentiator with its huge set of features. There are also the Wii controllers if they suited the game, too. I'd love third parties to release exclusive Wii U games taking advantage of the system too, but I'd at least like the third parties to bring their multiplatform games with Wii U features. 

At least Nintendo does do its own thing and not try and be forced around like the other companies do to each other. Nintendo sees video games as toys, unlike the other two companies do honestly. Well, you do have to say that Nintendo stuff does seem to last a lot longer than the other stuff as well. Even if they may not always be the most popular, the stuff certainly is well built and durable. You can't usually say the same for the other consoles all the time. I remember one time walking into a repair shop last gen and seeing the mile of 360's, the small line of PS3s and next to no Wii's ever there. Hey, at least they made the thing well and still try and do their own thing instead of just being another copy cat of the competition.

I agree with this. 

I'm starting to think that most development from here on is actually going to be a bigger deal than what we're used to. Rather than just more polygons, we'll see a ton more things happening on screen, better anti-aliasing, higher resolutions, more realistic physics, and so forth.

Looking at stuff like Tomb Raider's TressFX, it's pretty exciting to think about.

If they're intent on keeping their "cheap alternative" or "second console" approach, then the console needs to be strong enough to keep up with the others. That's all.

Graphics don't make the game, no, but code does. Literally. And if every developers code is too system intensive to run on the console, it's kind of a problem.

Edited by Discoid