Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

SSX and Mirror's Edge.

That's enough reasons to care about EA being on Wii U or not. 

if they were to do another brutal legends then this would be a bad thing but since EA hasn't really made anything that has ever really interested me (except for need for speed and that is slowly becoming irrelevant to me now) then I could probably care less whether they develop for wii u or not.

Well I'm talking about how there's a new Mirror's Edge coming up and that missing it on Wii U is a total shame. Also SSX may or may not ever get another sequel but if it does it'd be just as much of a shame to have Nintendo miss it.

I'm not really saying I don't want them but besides sports games and an occasional something or other EA is probably the one company I could care less about, I wouldn't mind if they did make games for the console (and heck it might even get more people on the thing) but its not a completer deal breaker if they don't.

Its a deal breaker because the Wii U needs third party games. Forget the fact that you're not personally interested in them and think in terms of what this will do for the console long term.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, I've finally acquired a Wii U through the wonderful Mario & Luigi bundle! It arrives on Saturday, which gives me plenty of time to prepare for 3D World!

Yikes, I didnt intend to push any buttons, haha. Sorry guys. Would it help clear things up if I said that I'm not necessarily a hardcore Nintendo fan either? I'm not exactly worried about getting a Wii U. I mean I love Nintendo and everything but not to a point of supporting every thing they do. My line of thought is that Nintendo is strong enough to float by at least one or two more console generations as they are now. If EA supports Wii U, cool. If they don't, okay. Nintendo dying out is the least of my worries for this industry. But maybe I'm missing something. If Nintendo is actually in danger and EA is their last hope, lets hope they change their minds, then.

Edited by Indigo Rush

I'm just gonna say SSX a third time for emphasis because holy moly schmapoly that's a good series

Especially 2012...........*drools*

Honestly, on the subject of SSX on Wii-U, I think SSX 2012 2 would work great on Wii-U because you could use the Gamepad as a topography map. It would make certain areas of dickish level design in the Deadly Decents more tolerable, at least.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

The idea isn't so much that Nintendo's hanging on a thread and without EA they're toast, but more that EA is the main company that said they just don't feel like making Wii U games and all the other third party big guns went "me too".

If they'd give up on the Micro/Sony exclusive elitist schpeil and work on games for more than two consoles, then everyone else will most likely cave in too, thus meaning more profit, thus meaning more sales, thus meaning more competition, thus meaning Wii U being a much better console to consider purchasing and not a waste of anyone's time.

Edited by Azookara

EA is a pretty important 3rd party since they provide a good chunk of popular games that people buy especially when it comes to sports. Sure they aren't the best gaming company and I'm not into football however FIFA is one of the most popular games in Europe no matter which system plus there have been many EA games in the past that I have enjoyed with the Burnout series being one of them. Then again EA hasn't really been with Nintendo even from the start even though they did handle the Gamecube fairly good and actually got better versions of a few of their games one of them being SSX on Tour.

Also EA has exclusive rights to have Star Wars games on consoles and PC which means the Wii U isn't going to get any Star Wars games until the contract with Disney is up. So no Battlefront from DICE, no Bioware one (who developed the original Knights of the Old Republic) and no others not even re-releases of Virtual Console versions of the Super Star Wars trilogy on the SNES [Wii U version and the Wii version might get removed] or Rogue Squadron unless Disney decide to. That alone is also important since kids also like Star Wars as well as the adults.

Hmm. I see what you mean. I still think Nintendo will do just fine, but if EA will make that big of a difference then hopefully they will get over themselves and port their games to the Wii U. They've only set up a ridiculous Catch-22 for themselves.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Because FIFA sells millions.

Because Madden sells millions.

Because PGA Tour sells millions.

Because Need For Speed sells millions.

Because Battlefield sells millions.

Because Plants vs Zombies sells millions.

Because Mirror's Edge is freaking awesome!

Nah, we all know the real reason we want EA.

Battlefront 3.

• Thumbs Up 5

Because FIFA sells millions!

It won't sell millions on Wii U if they're being assholes and releasing a game like FIFA 13, which was a carbon copy of 12 bar some small tweaks. Everything else I agree with though. I fucking hate EA but Nintendo does need them, to an extent.

Hang on, isn't the 3DS doing just perfectly fine with hardly any EA games on it? Maybe the Wii U can hold its own after all, so long as other third party people like Activision make games for the console.

It won't sell millions on Wii U if they're being assholes and releasing a game like FIFA 13, which was a carbon copy of 12 bar some small tweaks. Everything else I agree with though. I fucking hate EA but Nintendo does need them, to an extent.

Hang on, isn't the 3DS doing just perfectly well with hardly any EA games on it?

The handheld space is a completely different environment, which is exactly why replicating the steps that lead the 3DS to success will do nothing for the Wii U.

It's the difference between having practically no competition and being stuck between a rock (PS3/360/possiblyVitaTV as "cheap alternatives") and a hard place (PS4/Xbone).

• Thumbs Up 1

It is true that the handheld market has much less competition than the main one, but I still think Wii U without EA will be ok...

I just have a feeling that even if EA was with Nintendo right now making games for them, they would screw them over anyway still. There's my aforementioned example with FIFA 13 but also Mass Effect 3 (why not release the trilogy collection like everywhere else?) and no DLC for arguably the best version of Need for Speed Most Wanted. Wouldn't be surprised if they released a game like the new Mirrors's Edge with half the content missing.

EA games won't do shit for the Wii U if it's multi-platform.

Good luck getting them to make an exclusive.

I honestly don't see how the console could possibly turn around at this point. Before people throw "#NINTENDOOMED"'s at me, Nintendo will be fine. I highly doubt the Wii U will be though. With such heavy competition laughing in its face (I wouldn't be surprised if it hits last place by February, even after the head start) it's practically impossible to bring it back.

It is true that the handheld market has much less competition than the main one, but I still think Wii U without EA will be ok...

I just have a feeling that even if EA was with Nintendo right now making games for them, they would screw them over anyway still. There's my aforementioned example with FIFA 13 but also Mass Effect 3 (why not release the trilogy collection like everywhere else?) and no DLC for arguably the best version of Need for Speed Most Wanted. Wouldn't be surprised if they released a game like the new Mirrors's Edge with half the content missing.

The problem isn't directly that EA isn't making games, it's that Nintendo systems have been shit for third party software since the N64. Awesome first party, but they've always been the worst choice for third party, and that continues to be true today.

It's kind of like having a pizza with the finest, most delicious gourmet cheese in the world... with an extremely thin, burnt layer of bread beneath it souring the whole thing. Awesome for people who don't care about bread anyway and will just peel off the cheese to eat by itself, but the problem is that most people would rather just have a pizza with great ingredients all around rather than one that's half amazing and half horrible.

what is it with us and food metaphors tho

• Thumbs Up 2

So wait, we all love EA now?

EA are a pretty bad bunch, but THEY don't make the games. Battlefield, Need for Speed, Mass Effect and so on are all damn good and the developers are actually pretty cool people.

The Wii U could use these franchises, yes.

Edited by KrazyBean

I honestly don't see how the console could possibly turn around at this point. Before people throw "#NINTENDOOMED"'s at me, Nintendo will be fine. I highly doubt the Wii U will be though. With such heavy competition laughing in its face (I wouldn't be surprised if it hits last place by February, even after the head start) it's practically impossible to bring it back.

Eh.... At best it'll be a second Gamecube.

It's taking a stupidly long-ass time, but I think it can pull through.

With titles like Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, and Mario Kart - I think the Wii U could easily hit Gamecube numbers.

Edit: Ew, the metaphor Discoid used is pretty terrible.

It's more like Nintendo has an amazing pizza, but it's missing extra toppings.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem isn't directly that EA isn't making games, it's that Nintendo systems have been shit for third party software since the N64. Awesome first party, but they've always been the worst choice for third party, and that continues to be true today.

It's kind of like having a pizza with the finest, most delicious gourmet cheese in the world... with an extremely thin, burnt layer of bread beneath it souring the whole thing. Awesome for people who don't care about bread anyway and will just peel off the cheese to eat by itself, but the problem is that most people would rather just have a pizza with great ingredients all around rather than one that's half amazing and half horrible.

what is it with us and food metaphors tho

But what's wrong with he Wii U hardware that is anything significant compared to the rest. This isn't like a Wii situation where the graphics are still GameCube level, the Wii U is capable of doing everything well enough.

And hey, if Nintendo's been horrible for third parties, then why do indies flock to Wii U?