Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

In addition games Chaos Warp listed, you also have a number of indie titles,Wii U virtual console games, and Wii software including WiiWare, Wii Virtual Console games, and all of your Wii games. Using the internet is, in my opinion, very great. The browser isn't complete shit and the gamepad makes the internet as easy to use as if you were using a tablet. Watching videos on both the TV and Gamepad is a plus too. Art Academy and Miiverse let's you draw using the Gamepad's touch screen though the former is an application which you have to pay for but is worth the price. Off-TV play can also be used with Wii software as well though you can't use the gamepad as a controller. Also, the new Wii U Bundle comes with both New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. For $300, that's a nice deal.

Art Academy has my interest along with its GamePad functionality, I'll look into that. Could you give me an idea as to the type of games which can be purchased from the store at all? Any hidden gems and the like?

but seriously, Mario 3D World looks to be setting the bar for platformers yet again, it has so much charm and content jammed into it as well as nods to previous games in the series, and retro throw backs to stuff like 8-bit sprites, remixes of classic Mario Bros. tunes, and even levels based on other games in Mario's series like Mario Kart, it's also visually beautiful and it has 4 player co-op.

Hmm, my only problem with that paragraph is that a lot of that stuff relies rather heavily on having been interested and invested in the series up until now, which I unfortunately haven't, so I doubt I'd be in a position to appreciate many of the nods or references. That being said, the text which I bolded has my interest. How jam-packed are we talking, here? How much time would I be able to get out of this game? What about replay value, any idea?

Nintendoland makes good use of the GamePad because it loves dual-screen multiplayer with cool 1V4 games with one player using the tablet and one to 4 payers using Wiimotes. Nintendoland could definitely not work well as it does without the GamePad. Pikmin 3 also uses it well but you'd be better off asking a Pikmin Fan about that. 

NintendoLand fell completely off my radar. I imagine it would be in a similar position to Super Mario 3D World for me right now. If I found people to play it with, it would provide a more attractive offering. As for Pikmin 3, I will do just that. I'm actually scouring the web for information on Pikmin 3 as we speak.

Miiverse gives you a cool place to talk about games and ask questions if you are stuck somewhere in a game. With certain games like Sonic Lost World, you cab ever get special items through Miiverse. Off-TV play is nice because if someone needs to use the TV, you can continue your gaming uninterrupted on the Gamepad with most games. Plus, toilet play is the best shit if your bathroom is close enough to the console. 

Hmm, pretty much what I expected, then. They do sound like pretty cool features advantageous to specific situations, although I'm not certain how much use I'd get out of Off-TV Play considering no-one goes near my TV (>:U). And yes, a friend of mine who recently watched with Wii U being played reported to me his jealousy when a friend of his disappeared into the bathroom and just carried on playing. Not sure how much playing and shitting I'd be doing simultaneously, but, uh, it's there, I guess?

I feel Miiverse is too strictly moderated, you can't swear in any form, and anything negative is removed if not worded in a friendly manner, it's my only gripe with Miiverse, especially when the Youtube community is so large and diverse, you can't stay positive and happy-happy for everything.

That is indeed unfortunate.

Edited by Chronozoah

Plus, toilet play is the best shit if your bathroom is close enough to the console. 

You have no idea how happy I am to have my Kitchen and Bathroom be so close my room.

(in bold: Pffffffft)

Well I don't know fully, but I got roughly 20 hours or so out of 3D Land, and I still haven't finished it 100% But if it's as long as Galaxy (which I'm hoping) a few days to get everything. And in terms of content there's...

• Bonus Pipes leading to mini games
  • Stamps to collect that you can use in Miiverse as part of your posts
  • a 5th Character to unlock
  • Mystery House challenges
  • Speedrun levels
  • 8-bit Luigi references to celebrate the Year of Luigi
  • Secret Cannons that launch you into secret areas
  • There is always a secret world in Mario games, so I'm guessing that'll be the case this time around too!
  • Leaderboard time trials
  • Toad mini games
  • Interactive overworlds with secrets and unlockable mini games like slot machines etc.

And that's just from the tiny previews we got, it really is a must have for Wii U owners, I mean those high review scores aren't just for pretty graphics!

• Thumbs Up 1

Then consider me cautiously interested in exploring the possibility of getting this game further. At the very least, I'm interested enough to look into it more. Also, you guys weren't kidding about cheap.

What is the maximum distance at which one can make use of Off-TV Play, and are there any latency issues which you people have noticed associated with it?

Edited by Chronozoah

Then consider me cautiously interested in exploring the possibility of getting this game further. At the very least, I'm interested enough to look into it more. Also, you guys weren't kidding about cheap.

What is the maximum distance at which one can make use of Off-TV Play, and are there any latency issues which you people have noticed associated with it?

I'd say about 20-30 feet is when the gamepad starts losing connection from the Wii U.

and no latency as far as I can tell, if it were to be at a range at which there would be, you would be out of range anyways

Also on the E-shop, the VC doesnt have a ton yet, but when i does the full functionality of the gamepad will be great

All-right ladies and gents, I have a challenge for you. In three paragraphs or fewer, I want as many of you as possible (who are willing to try) to sell the Wii U to me as a viable purchase.

3 Paragraph limit (while most of my posts go beyond that in detail)? Okay. Sadly it is pretty bad at wording.

The GamePad is like a bottom half of a DS as in that it has a touch screen and a controller. On item management games, it makes it easier and faster to access your items. It can also be used for unique multiplayer modes in games such as Nintendo Land. Depending whether you want to play a long time, it is highly recommended that you get the official high-capacity battery since it lasts longer and have to charge less (in my example I would have to charge the thing every 3 days or so but with the new battery, found out in 2 weeks). Most games support Off TV mode where you can play when the TV is being used however if one person only uses the TV, you can just switch off the TV instead to save some electric and play it in another room even though I play right near the TV. Regarding latency issues, it depends on your TV due to that different TVs have different types of input lag (sadly hard to find out), while mine is about roughly the same between the two so no problems, some TVs have the GamePad being quicker due to poor input lag and some like CRT/monitors/Sony W6 range TVs where the GamePad is slower than the TV by a frame or two. Some games support different controllers if you aren't as keen on the GamePad (like it is possible to play NSMBU and Splinter Cell with a Pro Controller when the GamePad is out of battery), the Pro Controller having a long battery life and the Wii Remote is useful for minigame based/Wii games.

As with all Nintendo consoles, they have exclusive games that are worth owning such as a solid 2D platformer New Super Mario Bros U and its DLC New Super Luigi U (not needed to play earlier games in the series), Super Mario 3D World especially if you liked 3D Land (if you have a 3DS, you can start with that game to give a basic idea regarding the controls and the layout, you don't have to but it can help to get familar with the series and see the changes too) and on the way there are Mario Kart 8 (despite having a number, the earlier games are not needed to play this game at all since it is a racer and the first 4 are bit different to the rest of the series especially Super Mario Kart [1] and Mario Kart: Double Dash [4]), Smash Bros. Wii U, "X" (Untitled Monolith game) and any future title Nintendo decides to release. If you don't have a Gamecube, there is a HD remake of Zelda: Wind Waker but might require some knowledge of the series also there are other types of games such as Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 that some people really like. 3rd party wise, there isn't much and some games that are also on the 360/PS3/PC can be better either by features, programming or support but I have enjoyed Sonic Lost World, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the latter two make good use of the GamePad and have some slight improvements. As for eShop, apart from some that are elsewhere there are the two Mighty Switch Force games, the future Pac-Man Museum will have an extra game on the Wii U version and some future indies will hopefully be released including The 90s Arcade Racer and 3D Rare style platformer with Wind Waker style graphics A Hat in Time. Plus it plays most of the Wii games as well.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=217398

EA Germany makes a survey about platformer preference. And doesn't bother to include Wii U

On one hand, that's pretty sleazy. On the other hand, it's just par for the course for EA.

Sales be damned, do we really want a company like that producing games for Nintendo systems?

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

While this isn't very Wii U related, I thought this topic was too small to get it's own thread. But the Mario Kart Arcade game is coming to the U.S

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-20/mario-kart-arcade-gp-dx-heading-to-u.s-this-winter

Wow, first the gravity mechanic in mario kart 8 and now the fusion thing (which even shoots shells too) nintendo is really ripping from crash this year, but nonetheless I need this game.

Wow, first the gravity mechanic in mario kart 8 and now the fusion thing (which even shoots shells too) nintendo is really ripping from crash this year, but nonetheless I need this game.

Hope you can find an arcade.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sales be damned, do we really want a company like that producing games for Nintendo systems?

No, I suppose we don't want one of the biggest game developers in the world with of the the best selling franchises of all time developing for the Wii U.

Seriously?

• Thumbs Up 9

On one hand, that's pretty sleazy. On the other hand, it's just par for the course for EA.

Yes? Them not making games for it is one of the biggest problems.

Also Need for Speed looks pretty damn sick, and it's not on Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 1

People are going to hate on EA no matter what now due to their business practices. I know it is good to have as many games on the console as you can get, but so many people dislike EA, it is no wonder you get that reaction when someone mentions them.

Ideally EA should have their games on no one's platform and should just die and give their IP's to those more deserving but that's not gonna happen, sadly. So yes, it is a problem that they are not supporting Wii-U. 

So wait, we all love EA now?

It's not about that, it's about support for the console that could make it more attractive to people who don't have a grudge against EA.

I don't really care about EA for the most part, but that's just my personal view, and it's not like I would have to buy the games if they did release them on Wii U.

I honestly couldn't care less about EA. I couldn't name 5 games they're coming out with if my life depended on it. I'm going off of what I hear and read in this instance: they're among the worst businesses to ever exist in the entertainment industry. If that's not the case, then what is? Why does Nintendo need them to stay afloat?

I honestly couldn't care less about EA. I couldn't name 5 games they're coming out with if my life depended on it. I'm going off of what I hear and read in this instance: they're among the worst businesses to ever exist in the entertainment industry. If that's not the case, then what is? Why does Nintendo need them to stay afloat?

Who said that wasn't the case? Who said Nintendo needed them?

I certainly didn't. Just because people acknowledge the capacity for benefit that EA's involvement might bring, that does not in any way establish the precedent that they love EA. It's simply a matter of acknowledging the potential benefits of having them on-board rather than allowing logic to be overridden by a grudge. 

Edited by Chronozoah

SSX and Mirror's Edge.

That's enough reasons to care about EA being on Wii U or not. 

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 3