Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Due to my pessimism, I still have a feeling at least Western devs will come up with some bullshit excuse even if the next Nintendo console is at least comparable. It will just give people more of a reason to get pissed off when it still gets no support.

I honestly like it when Nintendo suffers - it brings a wake-up call to change what they're doing.

Does it?

I honestly like it when Nintendo suffers - it brings a wake-up call to change what they're doing.

Sometimes I think my 5-year old niece is less stubborn.

It shouldn't have to come to that, though. There has to be a more pro-active approach to business which Nintendo can adopt more or lss immediately, rather than the shambolically reactive (and dumbfoundingly unresponsive) approach the company is seemingly intent on carrying on with

It shouldn't have to come to that, though. There has to be a more pro-active approach to business which Nintendo can adopt more or lss immediately, rather than the shambolically reactive (and dumbfoundingly unresponsive) approach the company is seemingly intent on carrying on with

But Iwata getting sacked and a more competent president to make it so this never happens again would do exactly this.

Edited by Autosaver

But Iwata getting sacked and a more competent president to make it so this never happens again would do exactly this.

I'm actually kind of shocked that we agree on this.

But yes, Nintendo's upper management as of now are extremely complacent and resistant to change. That has to change, and if Iwata's the one who needs to get the boot, then I think the company will be better for it.

also just give miyamoto his own studio and let him make that "new IP" already instead of dicking around in other projects and let koizumi have free reign on something for once jesus

Koizumi pretty much ran 3D World without Miyamoto really doing shit so that's something.

Wh-... But I thought Koizumi was all about atmosphere and story. Hence Majora's Mask and Rosalina's Storybook in Galaxy.

What the heck happened? Are we sure about that?

Wh-... But I thought Koizumi was all about atmosphere and story. Hence Majora's Mask and Rosalina's Storybook in Galaxy.

Is it really that hard to imagine him wanting to focus on gameplay this time around? I mean, really, that's not necessarily a bad thing...

• Thumbs Up 4

Absolutely, which is probably why 3D World looks to be one of the best and most creative Marios in a while.

It uses the characters's unique abilities well to boot.

Is it really that hard to imagine him wanting to focus on gameplay this time around? I mean, really, that's not necessarily a bad thing...

Yes it is. Aim high and try to tell a good story. He seems to be one of the only people at Nintendo willing to do that, especially when you compare Majora's Mask to the other Zeldas, or look at the interviews where he says he wanted Mario Galaxy to have a great story, but Miyamoto kept that from happening.

... Maybe it's just because 3D World isn't as big a production as Galaxy. Seems kind of rushed. I guess I understand. I just hope he doesn't ditch his old mantra. That'd be hugely disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes it is. Aim high and try to tell a good story. He seems to be one of the only people at Nintendo willing to do that, especially when you compare Majora's Mask to the other Zeldas, or look at the interviews where he says he wanted Mario Galaxy to have a great story, but Miyamoto kept that from happening.

... Maybe it's just because 3D World isn't as big a production as Galaxy. Seems kind of rushed. I guess I understand. I just hope he doesn't ditch his old mantra. That'd be hugely disappointing.

Game development is hard. It's hard to focus on so many things at once. His choice was to focus on gameplay to make it the best it could be. That's not bad. 

All of the information on 3D World so far pretty much gives the indication that it wasn't really rushed at all. Seriously, that game is bursting with solid new ideas. I'd never thought I'd see a Mario game like this so soon after Galaxy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Absolutely, which is probably why 3D World looks to be one of the best and most creative Marios in a while.

It uses the characters's unique abilities well to boot.

3D World also changed up the storyline structure somewhat, with Bowser kidnapping the eight Sprixies rather than Princess Peach again, which allowed her to be a playable character.

Add to that the presence of the Comet Observatory and Rosalina confirmed as a unlockable playable character, and there might be more to the story than the premise may tell.

Game development is hard. It's hard to focus on so many things at once. His choice was to focus on gameplay to make it the best it could be. That's not bad. 

Not to you. It is to me. Games without stories or some kind of motivation to invest me in the game are boring and I barely ever finish them unless they're portable.

That's why the Mario RPGs are a million times more enjoyable than the platformers.

All of the information on 3D World so far pretty much gives the indication that it wasn't really rushed at all. Seriously, that game is bursting with solid new ideas. I'd never thought I'd see a Mario game like this so soon after Galaxy.

I guess I just don't see what everyone else sees. Doesn't even look close to Galaxy's standard imo, but whatever, I wasn't really a fan to begin with so my opinion here doesn't count for much anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to you. It is to me. Games without stories or some kind of motivation to invest me in the game are boring and I barely ever finish them unless they're portable.

Well I guess that's where we diverge as gamers. Me, if gameplay is great, I can basically shrug off a bad plot or a bare-bones plot and a cliched plot or stuff like that, because for me it's gameplay mostly that keeps me interested, the story is like a side dish to me that can enhance a game if it's good and I can live without it if it's not really there/bad. On the contrary, if a game's gameplay can't hold my interest but the story is really good, I'll just look up an LP or something.

It just comes down to how we differ as gamers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Koizumi is Miyamoto's closest protegé. Expecting him to not follow in Miyamoto's footsteps is ridiculous, story or not. Usually the only difference between the two in terms of design mentality and inspiration is execution of context but out of all the people at EAD inhabiting a collective wavelength in terms of design principles, Koizumi and Miyamoto are the ones exhibiting the closest balance.

In fact, he was 3D Land's lead producer so he was by and large responsible for the end product of that game, and he fulfills the same role in 3D World. He hasn't actually directed a game since Super Mario Galaxy and Miyamoto hasn't been credited as a director since the N64.

Koizumi probably isn't going to return to the Director chair anytime soon, if ever. He's effectively filling the same role that Miyamoto did as a producer after the Gamecube happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

... Sigh. Alright then.

One less person to pay attention to, I guess. Wonder what Sakurai's next game is going to be... :/

... Sigh. Alright then.

One less person to pay attention to, I guess. Wonder what Sakurai's next game is going to be... :/

I know a good story can make a game engaging, but what's wrong with some of the most creative levels in platforming history?

Wow, now wonder 3d world interests me so much, it was actually made by someone else for once. I really hope koizumi continues to produce these then. Might make me a mario fan yet.

I know a good story can make a game engaging, but what's wrong with some of the most creative levels in platforming history?

Because that's not enough for me, personally. The gameplay has to be very, very much to my liking for me to push through a game like that. Notable examples being Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Meat Boy, both of which are way more fun for me.

... Sigh. Alright then.

A prolonged hiatus if he knows what's best for him.

For that matter Sakurai doesn't even work for Nintendo. He left HAL Laboratories after Kirby Air Ride to go independent and formed Sora Ltd. as a freelance agency. He'll make games for whoever needs him or will want him. It's mostly coincidence that all of Sora Ltd.'s projects have been Nintendo based, including Meteos which was developed for Q Entertainment (although granted it got an XBLA port).

Funny that Nintendo is the only one that seems to want Sakurai. The guy is brilliant, the fuck is wrong with you everyone else? He does need to seriously take a break, though. Unless he wants that arm to be wrecked beyond any manner of repair.

• Thumbs Up 2