Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

lolguys miyamotos old we need to rub it in. he cant see games anymore

But seriously, isn't the fact that an EA exec said this proof enough that this is a load of shit? I haven't seen any super memorable EA games made by that guy.

EA is a big publisher and I'm certain they have a number of talented devs under their belt, but that talent is depressingly hidden away amongst all the single-minded drives for money. This guy makes it obvious that EA's goal is not about making quality video games.. and I guess, as a business, that's the cold hard truth.

But I think other game companies care about making good games a lot more than EA seems to. EA care so little that they can't even lie about it.

• Thumbs Up 5

EA have no fuckin' clue what they're talking about.

If anything, it illustrates how little they care for actual game design anymore, that it's just about making a quick buck. They say that about Miyamoto, they may as well be saying it about all the world's truly talented game director and creators.

As for Miyamoto, I'm glad he finally can trust other developers with his work.

Aren't EA publishing Mirror's Edge 2 even though the original sold terribly? Isn't Dice known for being very good at what they do? I'm not overly fond of EA's practices either, but come on now. Though I guess fair enough in this case, the guy was rude and stated his opinion in a really disrespectful way, so I don't really want to side with him.

Regardless, I don't disagree with him. Miyamoto just doesn't have the influence he used to, and he's no longer regularly cranking out masterpieces to be remembered decades from now. I think retiring Miyamoto would be a good thing for Nintendo, and him as well. He's no doubt one of the most important figures in gaming history, and he'll leave behind a legacy of amazing works of art to remember him by. Miyamoto is a creative genius, but I feel like he's just been around too long at this point and has grown... well, old. I mean, he's 60 years old now. Let him go off and make what he wants without the pressures of helming huge system selling franchises. I'm sure they'll be fun and sell well with his name attached to it. He's out of his prime, and I really want to remember him as the guy who created masterpieces like Ocarina of Time and Mario 64, not the guy responsible for killing any attempt at a decent story in a game he touches.

I love and respect the guy, but it's time to move on. Nintendo desperately needs some fresh blood.

Edit - (oh and also nintendo wants your money too and so does sony and so does microsoft that's kind of how this business works)

Edited again 'cause I was being a butt.

Edited by Discoid

I find it ironic that someone from EA is making cries of incompetence about anyone, regardless of whether Miyamoto should retire. And considering the lack of sway Miyamoto still has in the company I don't think there is a pressing need for him to retire. Didn't we have this huge conversation earlier about just how little Miyamoto is working on?

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it ironic that someone from EA is making cries of incompetence about anyone, regardless of whether Miyamoto should retire. And considering the lack of sway Miyamoto still has in the company I don't think there is a pressing need for him to retire. Didn't we have this huge conversation earlier about just how little Miyamoto is working on?

Tanabe

Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Hasn't he already expressed a desire to have his own studio to retire to so he can just make whatever he wants? He's earned it. I'd like to see what he can come up with when he doesn't have to use established IPs to sell systems. Let the guy's creativity flow again.

Oh I don't disagree with you in that regard. The guy was being an ass and I don't like the way he said it. 

Listen, I know you probably got "wow what a Nintendo fanboy" vibe from my post because that is the obvious conclusion when someone defends Miyamoto and criticises EA right, but if you did then you completely misread me. This isn't about Miyamoto, this is about how EA views games.

-

And your unnecessary "for fuck's sake" kind of set the tone for my reply so apologies if I came across as overly defensive.

Yeah, sorry. Caught me red handed there; that was pretty much exactly my thought process. :P

I respect Nintendo a fair deal more than EA as a company, honestly. I don't like EA much at all. I just assumed I was reading another "Nintendo's a white knight and the others are greedy money grubbers" post - something I've grown unfortunately accustomed to. Not necessarily here or anything, just in general. I kinda overreacted. Sorry, man. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

I respect Nintendo a fair deal more than EA as a company, honestly. I don't like EA much at all. I just assumed I was reading another "Nintendo's a white knight and the others are greedy money grubbers" post - something I've grown unfortunately accustomed to. Not necessarily here or anything, just in general. I kinda overreacted. Sorry, man. :V

Unless I'm joking or not thinking straight, my days of Nintendo white knighting are long over. I'm not that kinda woman. Anything past that is honestly personal preference, which is where I'm coming from when I talk about preferring cartoony games (case in point, my past 2 weeks have been consumed entirely by KH1.5 which I probably have about 80 hours on now).

I easily could write an essay on the reasons Nintendo don't make home console or MMO Pokémon games being solely for the sake of keeping their money where they know they can easily get it and control it but yeah I have no doubt at all that Nintendo are money grubbers.

Just that their money grubbing also leaves room for genuinely respecting real design talent and celebrating that too. Companies who celebrate their talented creators and make them famous are cool in my book. Companies who publically denounce the importance of skilled game design not so much.  On that note, I really hope Ubisoft celebrates Ancel some more by letting him make BG&E2.:T

Edited by Wonder SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just going to briefly break up this discussion to show off this in a better light...

Ganondorf.jpg

This comes with the limited edition Wind Waker HD edition, and is exclusive to GAME/Gamestop

Look at it.

LOOK AT IT.

It's glorious, please bask in the glow of the evil lord himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL7OiHU6Y48

There's even a dramatic Youtube teaser video to go with it, they only thing that's missing is the dark lord himself laughing evily at the end hnngh.

ok continue discussion~

• Thumbs Up 2

Cool, though I am fine with just the base version, cant wait to get my copy, it'll be my first playthrough!

Just going to briefly break up this discussion to show off this in a better light...

Ganondorf.jpg

LOOK AT IT.

It's glorious, please bask in the glow of the evil lord himself.

And just like that, the wait till October 4th is justified.  Really glad I pre-ordered the Limited Edition, that statue looks divine deliciously evil.

Looking at WWHD screens on Miiverse makes me drool; the wait is a brutal one.  D:

To be perfectly honest, I was REALLY surprised to see Ganondorf of all the people to make as a bonus figurine, If I was half expecting something in figure form, I had thought for sure it was going to be Link on the King of red lions, on like a Wave base, literally giving meaning to "a ship in a glass bottle" Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I seen this, not too often you get Ganondorf love in merchandise!

Hasn't he already expressed a desire to have his own studio to retire to so he can just make whatever he wants? He's earned it. I'd like to see what he can come up with when he doesn't have to use established IPs to sell systems. Let the guy's creativity flow again.

I really don't know how staying with Nintendo is limiting his choices on what games to design. He chooses what projects he wants to be involved with. I get the sense that Miyamoto generally likes designing games, especially the way he has grown accustomed to. He isn't being stifled, so not much would change regardless.

Besides, wasn't the last two games he helped with/worked on Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pikmin 3? Those games are established IP's but are hardly tired.

I really don't know how staying with Nintendo is limiting his choices on what games to design. He chooses what projects he wants to be involved with. I get the sense that Miyamoto generally likes designing games, especially the way he has grown accustomed to. He isn't being stifled, so not much would change regardless.

Besides, wasn't the last two games he helped with/worked on Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pikmin 3? Those games are established IP's but are hardly tired.

I'm not necessarily saying he's being stifled, just that he doesn't have the freedom a studio of his own would give him. He's working on novel games, but not new IPs. I'd like to see more of that, personally.

I think Nintendo as a whole would have a much stronger lineup if situations like Star Fox Adventures and Kirby's Epic Yarn weren't such a thing for them.

I'm not necessarily saying he's being stifled, just that he doesn't have the freedom a studio of his own would give him. He's working on novel games, but not new IPs. I'd like to see more of that, personally.

I think Nintendo as a whole would have a much stronger lineup if situations like Star Fox Adventures and Kirby's Epic Yarn weren't such a thing for them.

I'd think Miyamoto would have more freedom than most developers at Nintendo, and if he had a new IP in mind that he actively wanted to work on, he would bring it to life.  

Pulling Miyamoto off at this point seems like it would have little to no effect on Nintendo's lineup whatsoever.

"Miyamoto doesn't have freedom"

Didn't he just create a Pikmin sequel (his favorite series) and is working on a unique IP for Wii U? Is that not freedom?

"Miyamoto doesn't have freedom"

Didn't he just create a Pikmin sequel (his favorite series) and is working on a unique IP for Wii U? Is that not freedom?

I don't think he's saying that Miyamoto has no freedom at Nintendo. He just doesn't have as much as he would have if he owned his own studio. Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ganondorf.jpg

This comes with the limited edition Wind Waker HD edition, and is exclusive to GAME/Gamestop

And this is why I don't care for the digital version of the game even though its out 2 weeks before the retail version. I'm so glad that I managed to pre-order this.

Going back to this. If I remember correctly... he just help make one of his biggest projects in awhile. Pikmin 3 anyone? I don't see anything from EA at all. XD

Wow. I'd buy that just for the remote, and then I'd trade the piece-of-shit game in right away.

we dont know its going to be trash, its a party game, nothing wrong with that

My family loves minigame based games

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Wow. I'd buy that just for the remote, and then I'd trade the piece-of-shit game in right away.

"piece of shit game"

but but NCube makes good games

Ugh for fuck’s sake my Wii U is crashing every time I play a Youtube video.  Literally the most useful feature of the internet browser is watching youtube in inconvenient places via the gamepad, and over the past year it has gone through spouts of:

- Not playing videos

- Playing unskippable adverts and then not playing the requested video afterwards

- Starting adverts IN THE MIDDLE of videos

- Playing adverts again if the video was scrolled back to the start

- Getting buffering problems on (weirdly) particular videos every time, consistently so halfway through the video it plays 1 second for every 20 of buffering

- And now crashing completely every time a video is started, even with the “embed/” workaround that cured the first update to youtube that prevented it from playing videos.

I wouldn’t mind if the dedicated youtube app wasn’t so shit.

Ugh for fuck’s sake my Wii U is crashing every time I play a Youtube video. Literally the most useful feature of the internet browser is watching youtube in inconvenient places via the gamepad, and over the past year it has gone through spouts of:

- Not playing videos

- Playing unskippable adverts and then not playing the requested video afterwards

- Starting adverts IN THE MIDDLE of videos

- Playing adverts again if the video was scrolled back to the start

- Getting buffering problems on (weirdly) particular videos every time, consistently so halfway through the video it plays 1 second for every 20 of buffering

- And now crashing completely every time a video is started, even with the “embed/” workaround that cured the first update to youtube that prevented it from playing videos.

I wouldn’t mind if the dedicated youtube app wasn’t so shit.

Mine has started doing the exact same thing lately, I've tried deleting all the cookies and it seems to work briefly but after a few videos it just ends up crashing again.

The YouTube app isn't even worth using, the browser version is infinitely better and I'm devastated that I suddenly can't use it properly!

• Thumbs Up 1